Sami Vatanen

Old
05-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Ducks preseason/season avatars of Vatanen and what would happen to him if he stayed at some of our players/prospects/staff/ ex Ducks house? Expressing everyones abilities and qualities. FE - let him stay at Boudreaus to learn the language, stay at Sbisa to learn physical play etc?

Anyway, here is the newest Teemu blog translated. He gives advices to Vatanen and Granlund - 2 most highly touted Finnish prospects at the moment. One thing that got me interested and i think should work really well is to bring Sami to see some SC Final games. Teemu had that opportunity to, and he had... well quite ok rookie season i guess.

I think it would work with Vatanen to, since he is somehow similar to Finnish Flash - skiled player, but understands the power of work and this opportunity would give him extra boost imo. Since some games will be right here, in LA, it would be great if Sami came over to see the environment around and visit some cup games. Hard to say if we would provide him that opportunity though. There is still time.

So, heres the link:
http://www.battleofcali.com/2012/5/2...welcome-to-nhl
Sounds like a great idea... Probably will have an easier time getting tickets for the jersey games... Plus he'll get to visit NYC, the greatest city in the world.

If the team or Teemu gets him tickets to watch some games at the Staples Center that would be great.

Can't wait to read teemus blog! There always great!

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:11 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
Personally, I think we should try him out on the first pp unit on the point with Vis. But agreed on him being placed on the third unit.

Selanne-Getzlaf-Perry
Vatanen-Visnovsky

DSP-Koivu-Ryan
Fowler-Beauchimen

... I haven't been that impressed with Fowler on the PP... He's a great passer, but he barely ever gets a good shot on goal. Vatanen is supposed to have a cannon like Visnovsky... So I think it could be worth trying those two on the points.
Good point about Fowler. But as for two guys with big shots, how often do they do that? Most powerplays I can think of have one passer and one shooter.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Good point about Fowler. But as for two guys with big shots, how often do they do that? Most powerplays I can think of have one passer and one shooter.
True... But I doubt the PP would revolve around feeding Visnovsky and Vatanen on the points.

I have no idea how good of a passer Vatanen is, but I assume he's decent with a good amount of assists over in Finland?

I just got so sick of watching Fowler shoot floaters at the opposing goalie, last season. (on the power play) Which either created weak rebounds that got cleared out, or resulted in a stoppage of play. He only had 2ppg's last season...

I dunno I just find Fowler to be hit and miss on the PP. I swear he made made much better decisions with the puck on the Powerplay during his rookie season...

I think Vatanen + Visnovsky could be worth trying out... Only one of them can be the trigger man at a time and I'm sure Perry and Selanne will be scoring most of the goals anyways.

2 guys with big shots sure works well on the point in my NHL 12 team's PP... Kovy and Bobby Orr

Old
05-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
True... But I doubt the PP would revolve around feeding Visnovsky and Vatanen on the points.

I have no idea how good of a passer Vatanen is, but I assume he's decent with a good amount of assists over in Finland?

I just got so sick of watching Fowler shoot floaters at the opposing goalie, last season. (on the power play) Which either created weak rebounds that got cleared out, or resulted in a stoppage of play. He only had 2ppg's last season...

I dunno I just find Fowler to be hit and miss on the PP. I swear he made made much better decisions with the puck on the Powerplay during his rookie season...

I think Vatanen + Visnovsky could be worth trying out... Only one of them can be the trigger man at a time and I'm sure Perry and Selanne will be scoring most of the goals anyways.

2 guys with big shots sure works well on the point in my NHL 12 team's PP... Kovy and Bobby Orr
Fowler was completely misused on the PP last year. In his rookie year he was used in more of a rover role with Visnovsky being the QB and Getzlaf rotating from the half-boards to the point. This year he was often the only defenseman on the unit and wasn't allowed to roam around the offensive zone freely anywhere near as much.

I think Visnovsky being hurt and reluctant to shoot the puck forced Fowler into a role he wasn't really suited for. I really questioned what the coaching staff were trying to achieve with the PP at times, Teemu and Fowler were asked to play different roles than what had previously made them successful.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 12:49 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Yeah exactly. Fowler and Selanne seemed to be told to be the shooter and passer, respectively. Which really makes no sense because that's the opposite of how they've historically been successful.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Fowler 6 ppgs as a rookie in a rover role.

2ppgs next season as "the shooter" haha. Hopefully Visnovsky is back to form...

Old
05-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Jesus Teemu

Yeah, Fowler was very effective in 10-11 as the rover/passer guy. I think Lubo can be the passer because he did it with Souray in Edmonton, but he doesn't do his best work there.

Jesus Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Finnpin

Vatanen has been a slow starter for the past two years in SM-Liiga so AHL is option but not too long...I'm expecting some wow! comments during the camp...the kid is gonna fly.

Justin who?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:53 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Looks like #44 is free for use (correct me if im wrong).

Cant remember anyone using it in recent years.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Looks like #44 is free for use (correct me if im wrong).

Cant remember anyone using it in recent years.
Nobody since Niedermayer in 08-09. Although I'm pretty sure he'll be assigned a high number if he makes the team fulll time and once he makes it management prefers player numbers to be under 30 don't they?

Old
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Nobody since Niedermayer in 08-09. Although I'm pretty sure he'll be assigned a high number if he makes the team fulll time and once he makes it management prefers player numbers to be under 30 don't they?
Burke did, anyway, but we'll see if Murray sticks with that. Hasn't really been a scenario we've encountered. Also probably under 40, as Beleskey has 39, but I could see them make an exception for a number like 44.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Burke did, anyway, but we'll see if Murray sticks with that. Hasn't really been a scenario we've encountered. Also probably under 40, as Beleskey has 39, but I could see them make an exception for a number like 44.
Has Beleskey always had 39? I don't remember him ever having a high number, he must be one of the only guys not to have had to play with a 40+ number to start his career.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I believe Beleskey was 64 before moving to 39.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That's really lame if management prefers number under 30... Most of the good numbers are taken... 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17...

I think double numbers look the best... 33, 44, 66, 88 etc.

DSP has been wearing #77 since his first game... If Vatanen wants to wear 44... I see no reason not to give it to him.

And isn't 54 or 64 the number we give all of our call ups? A lot higher than #30...

Cam Fowler got to wear #4 pretty quick... Which is a storied number in hockey.

#44 doesn't have any real stars attached to it, as far as I can remember.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
That's really lame if management prefers number under 30... Most of the good numbers are taken... 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17...

DSP has been wearing #77 since his first game... If Vatanen wants to wear 44... I see no reason not to give it to him.

And isn't 54 or 64 the number we give all of our call ups? A lot higher than #30...

I think it's under 40 they prefer, given guys like Lydman, Moen, Wizniewski, Dipenta, the goalies, Blake, etc., etc. It's not even about history or whatever, but limiting the team kind of makes it boring, and numbers don't mean as much. For example, we kept 9 out of circulation for quite some time, same with 27, 35, 25 for a year, and so on. In New Jersey, that'd basically never fly. Niedermayer's 27 was worn for a few years, and most guys' get put back in circulation right away(except for Stevens and Daneyko). And pretty boring to see all the same numbers over and over, despite new players on the team.

Also, looking at Toronto, Burke gave up on that idea. Hopefully Murray has too.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:

C4 was, what? The trade deadline? Maybe a bit earlier?

It basically comes down to when the rookies show they are going to stick, beyond a shadow of a doubt, plus maybe a little longer to make the transition a bit more memorable. Bobby got his about the same time(relative to his first full season). Most of the other young players are going to take a bit more time, because there is more of a chance they are going to bounce up and down.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
C4 was, what? The trade deadline? Maybe a bit earlier?

It basically comes down to when the rookies show they are going to stick, beyond a shadow of a doubt, plus maybe a little longer to make the transition a bit more memorable. Bobby got his about the same time(relative to his first full season). Most of the other young players are going to take a bit more time, because there is more of a chance they are going to bounce up and down.
I think Cam was a bit earlier than most. We've seen guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Kunitz, etc. who keep their high(er) numbers all year, and then there's guys like Fowler and Bobby who switch quickly. Then there's a guy like Sbisa who was never issued a high number, for whatever reason.

Just looked it up, Fowler switched in November, so very early, even compared to Bobby, I think.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Wow. Was it really that early?

I think Sbisa wasn't issued one because he was pencilled into the top 4 immediately. There didn't seem to be any consideration at all that he would spend any time in the AHL.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Wow. Was it really that early?

I think Sbisa wasn't issued one because he was pencilled into the top 4 immediately. There didn't seem to be any consideration at all that he would spend any time in the AHL.
Yeah, that's what I gathered as well. And yeah, I had to look it up, but Brady had it in his blog in mid-November. I thought it was fairly early, but figured mid-season, not less than two months in. Looking up Bobby's, it appeared to have happened in March, but he also didn't get his call until around November or so.

Speaking of numbers, I wonder if we end up assigning 54 to whoever 6th overall is.

Old
05-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Maybe it felt later to me because the first two months couldn't friggin end. What a forgettable season.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Maybe it felt later to me because the first two months couldn't friggin end. What a forgettable season.
The first two months weren't great, but I'm not sure I'd call that entire season forgettable. I'll always remember those last two or three months where Perry was scoring at will and it seemed like we couldn't lose. Bad ending, but the way they heated up without Jonasty was unreal.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:43 AM
Finnpin

Don't mess the mojo...give the kid his mighty #44

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:59 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
The first two months weren't great, but I'm not sure I'd call that entire season forgettable. I'll always remember those last two or three months where Perry was scoring at will and it seemed like we couldn't lose. Bad ending, but the way they heated up without Jonasty was unreal.
Oh, yeah. Sorry, I was thinking this season. Not sure why, actually.

Old
05-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Sorry, I was thinking this season. Not sure why, actually.
Haha, I kind of figured as much, especially after I saw we were still over .500 in November 2010. Not great, and it was a struggle off the bat, but your description definitely sounded much more like this year.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Don't mess the mojo...give the kid his mighty #44
This. Lol... I love how we've generated a discussion on player #s...

I just think if DSP got #77 from the get go... No reason to stick Vatanen with 54 or something. Like I said before... Can't think of a single star player that wore #44.

If he doesn't get #44 maybe he'll wear #13 and score 76 goals