Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Vatanen

Old
05-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
With DSP, 77 is his high number isn't it? I think the fact that Holland and Palmieri were wearing 51 and 74 last season means the organization still wants those who have earned their spot to pick a number under 40 and those who haven't to use a higher number. So they'll likely want DSP to switch to a lower number sometime next season.

I still don't get Beleskey, he had 39 in all but two games in the 08-09 season where he was 64.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
With DSP, 77 is his high number isn't it? I think the fact that Holland and Palmieri were wearing 51 and 74 last season means the organization still wants those who have earned their spot to pick a number under 40 and those who haven't to use a higher number. So they'll likely want DSP to switch to a lower number sometime next season.

I still don't get Beleskey, he had 39 in all but two games in the 08-09 season where he was 64.
I don't think so... #77 is a pretty awesome number... A lot better than most the the alternatives under 40...

I'm pretty sure #77 is the number he wants.

Although you may be right... He wore #23 for the Majors, and number 22 with Team Canada.

Personally, I think management is extremely anal if there like that about the #s.

Let's say Vatanen wears #88 all year... Then next season gets to pick then number he wants... If he wants 44... Why the **** prevent him from wearing the number he prefers?

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 50
I had done an interview with Nick Bonino a while back and he had said that rookies are offered a few different numbers (above 50) (40-50 is reserved for undrafted rookies) he picked 63 and when he gets the chance to change he wants 13...All players must go through this...also in comparison when we got Jason Blake he had always worn 55 he was denied and took 33 instead.

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:30 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
If I was a Duck...well...unless they told me I couldn't have a roster spot, I'd wear 77.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:01 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150

Last edited by ShadowDuck: 06-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.
ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:08 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Why would you want 13?

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 02:38 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Well I understand Vatanen not getting to pick his number in his rookie season... But if they deny him #44 once he's here to stay... Because 40-50 is for undrafted rookies... That's totally lame.

44 is actually a pretty cool number that barely anyone wears. In my NHL 12 game... Fowler wears #44 because #4 is taken by Bobby Orr.

Old
06-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
Well I understand Vatanen not getting to pick his number in his rookie season... But if they deny him #44 once he's here to stay... Because 40-50 is for undrafted rookies... That's totally lame.

44 is actually a pretty cool number that barely anyone wears. In my NHL 12 game... Fowler wears #44 because #4 is taken by Bobby Orr.
Once he solidifies his spot on the roster he will be able to choose whatever number he wants. Whether or not he is granted his #44 off the bat is a different story.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
Once he solidifies his spot on the roster he will be able to choose whatever number he wants. Whether or not he is granted his #44 off the bat is a different story.
Well from what some ppl are saying... He can solidly his spot... And still not be able to wear #44, because management likes to keep things organised and super anal lol.

Hopefully they're over that now...

Old
06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Why would you want 13?
Ask Teemu
Or Mike Brown

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Gibson Les Palms

13 is an awesome number imo

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:35 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

I also hate to point this out, but as I understand it Andrew Gordon asked for 44 as his number, I believe he was denied because the team is holding off on that number...believe it or not...for Rob Nieds (much like Toskala was denied 35 when he was with the team for that very short time and as we are not letting anyone wear 27) I believe Sami will end up with a different number the 44, not that I agree with the teams view on the subject I am just informing based on what I believe to be the situation.

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:50 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
The other number I've seen him wear is #9, but that's not happening.

Hopefully they'll give him 44

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Duck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
13 is an awesome number imo
Give it to Ralph Branca.

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
heksagon

Something that came to my mind:

The last defencemen I remember to dominate Sm-Liiga the way Vatanen does were Marek Zidlicky and Brian Rafalski. They are similar to Vatanen in many ways. Both small, skilled offensive defencemen and they went from Sm-Liiga to NHL and they are/were successful there, especially Rafalski.

And to add to that, Vatanen has done a lot more than those guys when they were his age. The history would indicate that Vatanen will be successful in NHL, hopefully it'll happen.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
Something that came to my mind:

The last defencemen I remember to dominate Sm-Liiga the way Vatanen does were Marek Zidlicky and Brian Rafalski. They are similar to Vatanen in many ways. Both small, skilled offensive defencemen and they went from Sm-Liiga to NHL and they are/were successful there, especially Rafalski.

And to add to that, Vatanen has done a lot more than those guys when they were his age. The history would indicate that Vatanen will be successful in NHL, hopefully it'll happen.
Lee Sweatt?

Look how great he became

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Turbomono
Rookie User

First post on HF Boards, im native Finnish speaker so im sorry for the spelling mistakes etc..

Here has been some misunderstandings about Vatanen's talent and what are his strong sides. His slapshots are good but not as good you might assume. There are much better shooters in NHL than Vatanen. But his skating, passing and puck control is beyond awesome. I've been watching SM-Liiga (FEL) and NHL closely since Selanne (1993 ->) and I have never seen such a dominant player on the ice in FEL before Vatanen. I really dont think that Ducks fans know what kind of a gem they are waiting for. Vatanen is more better than Selanne was in FEL. And remember, there has been superior defensemen in FEL like Rafalski, and Sami completly outshadow them in terms of skill, skating and puck control.

Just wait for the next season and you will be suprised. Vatanen is something you will see once in 20 years. I compare him to Paul Coffey. Must say again, most dominant player (fw/df) i have ever seen in FEL.

Turbomono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Disgruntled Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomono View Post
First post on HF Boards, im native Finnish speaker so im sorry for the spelling mistakes etc..

Here has been some misunderstandings about Vatanen's talent and what are his strong sides. His slapshots are good but not as good you might assume. There are much better shooters in NHL than Vatanen. But his skating, passing and puck control is beyond awesome. I've been watching SM-Liiga (FEL) and NHL closely since Selanne (1993 ->) and I have never seen such a dominant player on the ice in FEL before Vatanen. I really dont think that Ducks fans know what kind of a gem they are waiting for. Vatanen is more better than Selanne was in FEL. And remember, there has been superior defensemen in FEL like Rafalski, and Sami completly outshadow them in terms of skill, skating and puck control.

Just wait for the next season and you will be suprised. Vatanen is something you will see once in 20 years. I compare him to Paul Coffey. Must say again, most dominant player (fw/df) i have ever seen in FEL.
Drool...... Thanks for the info!

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Gibson Les Palms

Thanks for the post. I must say I've gotten pretty excited about Vatanen.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:

How was he on the power play?

From what you've said... It sounds like he'd might very well bump Fowler down to the second unit.

Vatanen- the passer. visnovsky - the shooter.

Getzlaf - the center.

Selanne and Perry - goal scorers.

Could be just what our PP needs.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
How was he on the power play?

From what you've said... It sounds like he'd might very well bump Fowler down to the second unit.

Vatanen- the passer. visnovsky - the shooter.

Getzlaf - the center.

Selanne and Perry - goal scorers.

Could be just what our PP needs.
There's no way Vatanen knocks Fowler off the first unit, especially not if Visnovsky can bounce back and QB the PP. Fowler was misused on the PP last year out of necessity due to Lubo's injury problems and he was forced into more of a stationary shooting role as opposed to roving around like he did in his rookie year.

Vatanen may be good but he won't get a spot on the top PP unit over Fowler. He may take Visnovsky's spot though.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:

Great to hear! Thank you for he post and welcome to the boards

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

There is still that issue with adjustment (like Sweatt, for example) that worries me.

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
There's no way Vatanen knocks Fowler off the first unit, especially not if Visnovsky can bounce back and QB the PP. Fowler was misused on the PP last year out of necessity due to Lubo's injury problems and he was forced into more of a stationary shooting role as opposed to roving around like he did in his rookie year.

Vatanen may be good but he won't get a spot on the top PP unit over Fowler. He may take Visnovsky's spot though.
Ideally, Fowler and Vatanen bump out the older Visnovsky for first unit PP time, and we have our two PP d-men set for the next 15 years, with a vet running the 2nd unit.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

If I see Fowler take one more shot from the point into traffic on the PP...

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote