HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Another minor Ducks deal: Bryan Rodney to Oilers for Ryan O'Marra

Old
02-16-2012, 05:16 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 500
I hope this new guy can get some chemistry with Hemsky

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

This huge for the Oilers rebuild IMO

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Eh? So, the Oilers lost Smyth, got three players back (One of whom, Alex Plante, remains a prospect having just made the AHL All-Star game this year) two of whom didn't work. But what did the Islanders get out of it? If anything the Oilers win the deal because they ended up with Plante and dealt some odds and ends to get Smyth back anyway.

Actually, as near as I can tell, Ryan O'Marra will be an UFA this summer as he's 25, has more than 3 years of pro hockey experience and can't possibly hit 80 total NHL games played this season (He's at 31 now).
Plante stinks, all star or not and will never be a regular nhl player for the oilers.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 0
Quote:
Actually, as near as I can tell, Ryan O'Marra will be an UFA this summer as he's 25, has more than 3 years of pro hockey experience and can't possibly hit 80 total NHL games played this season (He's at 31 now).
he can technically if every day he is traded to a new team who is playing that night, could possibly even play twice on the same day on the weekends when there are afternoon games

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Solid on the offensive side of the puck. Great on the Powerplay

Research his road to making it to the NHL. Probably the craziest story I've heard.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:02 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Quote:
Eh? So, the Oilers lost Smyth, got three players back (One of whom, Alex Plante, remains a prospect having just made the AHL All-Star game this year) two of whom didn't work. But what did the Islanders get out of it? If anything the Oilers win the deal because they ended up with Plante and dealt some odds and ends to get Smyth back anyway.

This is a debate that often time flares on the Isles board.

I was a fan of the deal at the time, and I would make the trade 10 out of 10 times if I am the Isles.

First — the assets given up amounted to next to nothing.

Second —*at the time of the deal, the Isles had healthy bodies and were a point out of the 8 spot, ready to make a little run.

Had they stayed healthy, they might have finished 6-7 rather then 8 playing a weaker Atlanta team, rather then a tough Buffalo squad. But that was when the healthy fell apart — for DiPietro and many others. It was the last gasp of the Milbury vets, and many other vets that Snow brought in as a new GM.

You also must remember — Snow needed credibility that he had the balls to pull off a major trade. It also was the first step in making this Snow's team. Smyth also brought something the Isles needed after that summer circus of Neil Smith/Garth Snow —*viability.

Smyth is not the same player today he was 4-5 years back.

In the end, I think it was better that he left the Isles. The team is far better off today then it was then. It has a young vibrant core that is beginning to gel. They are top 10 on the PP and PK, GA is falling, and things are coming together.

Like I said — some feel we gave up too much. Their rational is that Cherapanov was sitting there at 15 which is where the Oilers to Plante. But many Isles fans feel we would have been better off with Cherapanov, Nilsson and O'Marra. Time however shows something far different.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:07 PM
crunchrulz

For a player reportedly making $250,000 to be the quarterback and one of the pillars of the Crunch defense, Rodney owes the Ducks about $249,999.99. One of the bigger busts in a terrible year. Horrible in the defensive zone with Syracuse, he did not put up anywhere near the offensive numbers to make up for it. Brilliant passer on the power play, especially to the other teams forecheckers when pressured, leading to chances every game for odd man rushes going the other way. Wore out his welcome with most Crunch fans some time ago.
To sum it up, SEE YA!

crunchrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

My brain thought it read Bobby Ryan at first glance

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 06:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

...it was a joke.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
The Ducks traded a center prospect earlier in the week in Mace, only to acquire another one today in O'Marra.

From what I've seen of O'Marra he's not looked bad in his recalls. He's a big center and he works hard, but the most he'll be is a bottom 6 guy if he ever becomes an NHL regular.

Rodney's pretty much a career AHLer.

Basically an AHL trade but I like this one for the Ducks. O'Marra still has a bit of potential to be a good 4th line center some day.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
The Ducks traded a center prospect earlier in the week in Mace, only to acquire another one today in O'Marra.

From what I've seen of O'Marra he's not looked bad in his recalls. He's a big center and he works hard, but the most he'll be is a bottom 6 guy if he ever becomes an NHL regular.

Rodney's pretty much a career AHLer.

Basically an AHL trade but I like this one for the Ducks. O'Marra still has a bit of potential to be a good 4th line center some day
Pretty much it. Not sure how this deal works for the Oilers or OKC.

As for the Smyth trade in 07 - I havent given up on Plante yet. He's only 22 years old for ****s sake. Big physical defenseman who somehow has played 10 games for the Oilers and is only a -1.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
voxel

Barons are an excellent AHL team (best in league easily) - sort of like the Rangers in the NHL.

Their D is the weakest link (only Teubert has NHL potential) and the team is flush with two-way grinders like O'Marra (big guy with stone hands) so this trade is perfect.

I still think the Oilers should trade for a D-man like Tyson Barrie. Most of the good Oilers D prospects are in junior.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Barons are an excellent AHL team (best in league easily) - sort of like the Rangers in the NHL.

Their D is the weakest link (only Teubert has NHL potential) and the team is flush with two-way grinders like O'Marra (big guy with stone hands) so this trade is perfect.

I still think the Oilers should trade for a D-man like Tyson Barrie. Most of the good Oilers D prospects are in junior.
Agree 100%

MPStoEberletoHall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 11:41 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

I was really interested in Rodney last year. Should be a nice boost to OKC IMO

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:25 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Basically an AHL trade but I like this one for the Ducks. O'Marra still has a bit of potential to be a good 4th line center some day.
Which is what the Ducks may well be looking for, since O'Marra is bigger then Mace and seems to have the same upside it fits in with what BM said about wanting to make the team bigger in the long run, if O'Marra gets on the NHL roster eventually that is.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 03:44 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
well, O'Marra was the last piece of the Smyth to NYI deal, so I guess we can now clearly say that Edmonton lost that trade.
yup..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:09 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetMyers View Post
For all those ducks fans complaining about Macenauer, there's your replacement.
He doesn't have as cool name as Macenauer

O'Marra should be good in Syracuse.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Ducksforcup

Murray certainly loves wheeling and dealing.

Seems like a decent trade...brings some leadership to the Crunch whom are struggling.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:16 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
He doesn't have as cool name as Macenauer

O'Marra should be good in Syracuse.
Just wait until you see O'Marra's flow. You'll forget all about Macenauer.

And, if O'Marra does make your team, you'll have the only Japan-born player in the league.

Talk about intangibles.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:12 AM
mr mister

The only part of this trade I care about is how they traded a ryan, for a bryan.
Must have been a factor.

mr mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Unagi

Makes both teams immediate contenders.

Real Winner: Phone company that made money from those calls.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

He's the Japanese, hair flowing samurai with an Irish last name.
Can't beat that.

Jokes aside, I really liked the way he played. It's a shame we had no room for him since our team is flooded with centers. I hope hope he gets a better chance with the Ducks.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote