HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner prays Leafs don't deal him

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
  #151
Dayjobdave
Registered User
 
Dayjobdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStache View Post
Translation: "Please, please, please, don't send me to Columbus."
LOL, absolutely correct!

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 AM
  #152
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Thought that any chance to get away from Ron Wilson would be embraced by a player. Rookies.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
  #153
Nitrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
No way Gardiner would go in a deal for Nash, the only way we trade him would be for blue jackets number 1 pick and even then I am happy where we are at and I don't want that to change.

Nitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
  #154
bberard34
Registered User
 
bberard34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
I will barf if we trade Jake. That is all.

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:19 AM
  #155
Dayjobdave
Registered User
 
Dayjobdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Thought that any chance to get away from Ron Wilson would be embraced by a player. Rookies.
lol.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
  #156
francis246
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
love this, most players who play here love it. I don't think anyone really wants to leave the leafs right now. Including Schenn and Grabovski. I hope we don't trade Gardiner, Schenn, Kessel, Lupul, Grabo, Phanuef. The rest I could care less. But these 6 players will be key if we ever want to have a consistent playoff spot. But Burke already said Gardiner won't be moving, so he has nothing to worry about.

francis246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:26 AM
  #157
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
His ceiling seems way higher than Kabbies
That's some high ceiling considering Tomas Kaberle is Maple Leafs 11th highest all-time scoring player, and 2nd highest scoring dman behind only Borje Salming.

In his 12 seasons in Toronto Kabs racked up 878 games 83 goals 437 assists and 520 points.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/d...s.php?tmi=8490

I don't want to see Gardiner traded either, but then again this is Toronto and history has taught us that no price is too high nor any young player safe when it comes to Leafs managements willingness to part with the future.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:31 AM
  #158
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
That's some high ceiling considering Tomas Kaberle is Maple Leafs 11th highest all-time scoring player, and 2nd highest scoring dman behind only Borje Salming.

In his 12 seasons in Toronto Kabs racked up 878 games 83 goals 437 assists and 520 points.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/d...s.php?tmi=8490

I don't want to see Gardiner traded either, but then again this is Toronto and history has taught us that no price is too high nor any young player safe when it comes to Leafs managements willingness to part with the future.
Of course we have no idea how many times that the Leafs have said no to teams asking for their young players but do carry on.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
  #159
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
That's some high ceiling considering Tomas Kaberle is Maple Leafs 11th highest all-time scoring player, and 2nd highest scoring dman behind only Borje Salming.

In his 12 seasons in Toronto Kabs racked up 878 games 83 goals 437 assists and 520 points.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/d...s.php?tmi=8490

I don't want to see Gardiner traded either, but then again this is Toronto and history has taught us that no price is too high nor any young player safe when it comes to Leafs managements willingness to part with the future.
Kaberle, will there ever be another player on any team who was the key player in the following trades that never materialized.

1) Lecavalier
2) Lindros
3) Pronger
4) Carter
5) Kessel

Not a bad resume, let's hope the eventual return (Colbourne and Biggs) turns out in the same league as the above 5 !!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
  #160
Gardiner Express
#TankNation
 
Gardiner Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brampton, ON
Country: India
Posts: 1,490
vCash: 500
I will kill Burke if he trades Gardiner. My favourite player already and we haven't even seen the best of him yet.

Gardiner Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:04 AM
  #161
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Of course we have no idea how many times that the Leafs have said no to teams asking for their young players but do carry on.
We don't need to prove a negative and guess those that didn't happen to confirm this, but rather base it simply on the ones that did occur instead.

Kaberle was a young player that lasted a long time in TO, however Leafs attempted to trade him many times for players like Lindros, and Lecavalier etc in failed rumoured deals, but it wasn't for lack of trying however.

Can you name some other young players over the past 20 years Toronto didn't part with, and had long Leaf careers?. If you can't then you will see my point.

Jake Gardiner is right to be nervous, and has to hope potential deals fail, because he isn't untouchable. That doesn't mean Burke is wanting to trade him, but rather if the right deal came along, Gardiner will need to notify the post office of his change of address.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
  #162
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,436
vCash: 50
Burke is a smart trading GM, nothing to worry about here..

But, but..he traded the future for Kessel!

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:42 AM
  #163
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
We don't need to prove a negative and guess those that didn't happen to confirm this, but rather base it simply on the ones that did occur instead.

Kaberle was a young player that lasted a long time in TO, however Leafs attempted to trade him many times for players like Lindros, and Lecavalier etc in failed rumoured deals, but it wasn't for lack of trying however.

Can you name some other young players over the past 20 years Toronto didn't part with, and had long Leaf careers?. If you can't then you will see my point.

Jake Gardiner is right to be nervous, and has to hope potential deals fail, because he isn't untouchable. That doesn't mean Burke is wanting to trade him, but rather if the right deal came along, Gardiner will need to notify the post office of his change of address.
Didn't part with is a bit of a problem, since the vast majority of NHLers are moved, especially on teams like the Leafs who have been up and down the past 20 years. Also a little funny you seem upset by this turnover when you fully supported Fletcher dumping long-time Leafs like Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe and Tucker along with some Leaf drafted and developed talent like Wellwood, Steen and Colaiacovo.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
  #164
Edgeworth*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Do you want top line talent or not.
Trade Lupul then. What do you think his perceived value is right now? Probably the highest it'll ever be.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
  #165
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
We don't need to prove a negative and guess those that didn't happen to confirm this, but rather base it simply on the ones that did occur instead.

Kaberle was a young player that lasted a long time in TO, however Leafs attempted to trade him many times for players like Lindros, and Lecavalier etc in failed rumoured deals, but it wasn't for lack of trying however.

Can you name some other young players over the past 20 years Toronto didn't part with, and had long Leaf careers?. If you can't then you will see my point.

Jake Gardiner is right to be nervous, and has to hope potential deals fail, because he isn't untouchable. That doesn't mean Burke is wanting to trade him, but rather if the right deal came along, Gardiner will need to notify the post office of his change of address.
If the Leafs had tried to trade Kaberle over the years then they would have been successful at doing it.

Ferguson protected his young players and then when the new regime came in they had different ideas. However the only regime that matters now is Burke's and he has not created a net loss in young players and if anything has added to it but that being said he will not hesitate to trade some of them for long term improvements to the team.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:33 PM
  #166
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If the Leafs had tried to trade Kaberle over the years then they would have been successful at doing it.

Ferguson protected his young players and then when the new regime came in they had different ideas. However the only regime that matters now is Burke's and he has not created a net loss in young players and if anything has added to it but that being said he will not hesitate to trade some of them for long term improvements to the team.
Burke does not hesitate to trade away young players, that is a myth if you believe that. Burke didn't hesitate to trade Joffrey Lupul (7th overall pick) who at 22 years old and his 2nd NHL season recorded 28 goals 25 assists and 53 points and tossed in the 1st round pick that became Jordan Eberle along with other assets to obtain Chris Pronger from the Oilers.

Well Jake Gardiner is no Joffrey Lupul, so he has right to be nervous because as you say Burke has been building up the asset pool. However the intention of building it up included increasing his currency (young players, prospects & picks) to obtain other NHL players through trade when available.

We are now at the stage where if Burke is on the line as a buyer, looking for top end player(s) that this currency (Gardiner) could be in play. That includes Schenn, Kadri, Colborne, Frattin etc, so Gardiner is not alone if Burke is able to successful complete a deal of his liking. Sellers desire this kind of currency to part with their NHL talent, and this is no secret.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
  #167
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Burke does not hesitate to trade away young players, that is a myth if you believe that. Burke didn't hesitate to trade Joffrey Lupul (7th overall pick) who at 22 years old and his 2nd NHL season recorded 28 goals 25 assists and 53 points and tossed in the 1st round pick that became Jordan Eberle along with other assets to obtain Chris Pronger from the Oilers.

Well Jake Gardiner is no Joffrey Lupul, so he has right to be nervous because as you say Burke has been building up the asset pool. However the intention of building it up included increasing his currency (young players, prospects & picks) to obtain other NHL players through trade when available.

We are now at the stage where if Burke is on the line as a buyer, looking for top end player(s) that this currency (Gardiner) could be in play. That includes Schenn, Kadri, Colborne, Frattin etc, so Gardiner is not alone if Burke is able to successful complete a deal of his liking. Sellers desire this kind of currency to part with their NHL talent, and this is no secret.
What's your issue with this if we win the trade? Is it more important for you to see players you're familiar with or a winning team?

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:43 PM
  #168
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Burke does not hesitate to trade away young players, that is a myth if you believe that. Burke didn't hesitate to trade Joffrey Lupul (7th overall pick) who at 22 years old and his 2nd NHL season recorded 28 goals 25 assists and 53 points and tossed in the 1st round pick that became Jordan Eberle along with other assets to obtain Chris Pronger from the Oilers.

Well Jake Gardiner is no Joffrey Lupul, so he has right to be nervous because as you say Burke has been building up the asset pool. However the intention of building it up included increasing his currency (young players, prospects & picks) to obtain other NHL players through trade when available.

We are now at the stage where if Burke is on the line as a buyer, looking for top end player(s) that this currency (Gardiner) could be in play. That includes Schenn, Kadri, Colborne, Frattin etc, so Gardiner is not alone if Burke is able to successful complete a deal of his liking. Sellers desire this kind of currency to part with their NHL talent, and this is no secret.
Sure, and as long as the return is directly proportional to the value of the young guy being traded then that is all we should expect and we should also realize that Burke knows this. A player like Chris Pronger at that time was worth it, for example.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:50 PM
  #169
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Didn't part with is a bit of a problem, since the vast majority of NHLers are moved, especially on teams like the Leafs who have been up and down the past 20 years. Also a little funny you seem upset by this turnover when you fully supported Fletcher dumping long-time Leafs like Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe and Tucker along with some Leaf drafted and developed talent like Wellwood, Steen and Colaiacovo.
The dumping of the Muskoka 5 vets was with the desire to return young players, picks and prospects in return so I don't understand why you believe that is funny nor contradictory to the desire of obtaining youth in trade to fuel a rebuild process.

I don't want youth like Gardiner traded, which is consistent with my "play the kids" viewpoint of a rebuild process.

However I'm only saying Gardiner should not feel safe that he is guaranteed to not be going in trade should Burke find a trade he likes. Gardiner is a asset that logically many sellers would ask about or seek to desire in trade for moving their veteran talent.

You should know by now via previous transactions that our Leafs have a desire to be buyers when possible, far more often than sellers.. Therefore using their prospect pool and picks as currency to go spending has been a long-time ongoing process, that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
  #170
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 27,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Burke does not hesitate to trade away young players, that is a myth if you believe that. Burke didn't hesitate to trade Joffrey Lupul (7th overall pick) who at 22 years old and his 2nd NHL season recorded 28 goals 25 assists and 53 points and tossed in the 1st round pick that became Jordan Eberle along with other assets to obtain Chris Pronger from the Oilers.

Well Jake Gardiner is no Joffrey Lupul, so he has right to be nervous because as you say Burke has been building up the asset pool. However the intention of building it up included increasing his currency (young players, prospects & picks) to obtain other NHL players through trade when available.

We are now at the stage where if Burke is on the line as a buyer, looking for top end player(s) that this currency (Gardiner) could be in play. That includes Schenn, Kadri, Colborne, Frattin etc, so Gardiner is not alone if Burke is able to successful complete a deal of his liking. Sellers desire this kind of currency to part with their NHL talent, and this is no secret.
Sounds like you're more concerned with the name on the back of the shirt than the crest on the front.

Why care if Players come and go if it's what's best for the Team?

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
  #171
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I'd trade many other D-men first before Jake.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
  #172
1stoverall
Registered User
 
1stoverall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Smooth skatin J Gard's , the kids 21 and after a beauty first season its safe to say hes not gong anywhere, Aulie/Schenn move before Gardiner

1stoverall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
  #173
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The dumping of the Muskoka 5 vets was with the desire to return young players, picks and prospects in return so I don't understand why you believe that is funny nor contradictory to the desire of obtaining youth in trade to fuel a rebuild process.
You're talking about longevity and keeping players who have been with the organization a while. McCabe didn't land us a pick or prospect, neither did Tucker. Sundin walked as a UFA and Fletcher didn't move Kaberle. He did trade 3 drafted and developed Leafs players though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I don't want youth like Gardiner traded, which is consistent with my "play the kids" viewpoint of a rebuild process.
If we're improving the team both now and in the future it shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
However I'm only saying Gardiner should not feel safe that he is guaranteed to not be going in trade should Burke find a trade he likes. Gardiner is a asset that logically many sellers would ask about or seek to desire in trade for moving their veteran talent.
There's always a chance of players being traded, so nobody should ever feel safe. Like most of your points, you really aren't saying anything here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
You should know by now via previous transactions that our Leafs have a desire to be buyers when possible, far more often than sellers.. Therefore using their prospect pool and picks as currency to go spending has been a long-time ongoing process, that shouldn't come as a surprise.
I thought Beauchemin, Versteeg and Kaberle were both moved for picks and prospects around this time last year? Looks like Burke takes a look and determines what is best for the team overall and bases his decision on that.

For me it's about winning deals and improving the team to the point it's capable of winning a cup, not sticking to a certain viewpoint that's based on age instead of talent and effectiveness.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
  #174
TYayo
Registered User
 
TYayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Who would have thought last year that Francois Beauchemin would bring us an All-Star Forward in Lupul and a rookie Dman that we don't even want to trade to get Rick Nash..lol

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
  #175
ACC1224
Burke was right.
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 27,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYayo View Post
Who would have thought last year that Francois Beauchemin would bring us an All-Star Forward in Lupul and a rookie Dman that we don't even want to trade to get Rick Nash..lol
Burke

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.