Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins offer Extensions to Kelly, Paille, Campbell and Thornton

Old
02-17-2012, 04:35 AM
Morris Wanchuk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
The fan boys (and girls) must love this.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:40 AM
panny2727

my only concerns with these guys not excepting is that they are seeing far less than Boychuck. MAybe him getting a 3+ million dollar contract isn't sitting well with these guys who are being offered less. To me the Boychuck deal creates friction with the troops because he is one of them and there won't be enough to pay everyone that much.
Can any of you say Boychuck was a bigger piece to winning the cup than any of the soup line. I say NO. could they have won without any of these guys? YES

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:47 AM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB View Post
Thrilled with Thornton getting an extension. One of the only enforces that can play a regular shift and is good.

Paille was a playoff warrior no doubt, but remember at the beginning/mid of last season he was scratched more often than not? Marchand worked his way off the fourth line to the second. I like the idea of leaving a spot open on the fourth line for a rookie to get his feet wet.

Campbell I can do without too. He is not a good faceoff guy, he cant score, and I dont think he even is a regular penalty killer anymore. He's a good grinder, good teammate and willing to scrap but I just hope there is no over payment for what he brings.

Kelly, I am still not sure what to think. Sometimes he is great, but then disappears for long stretches. He is already making good coin, so I am not sure what he is looking for. All I know is if he said "tough question" after giving an A that tells me he may look for more elsewhere.
you drasctically underestimate the energy all these guys bring on a nightly basis. take em out of the line up and you have a team post hjelle and pre campbell. Chia underestimated leadership once before, and we all remember how that ended after being up 3-0. I just hope he doesn't extremely overpay for leaders that bring energy but can't score.
Its hard to be a gm. if it were easy we would all be one

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:08 AM
TCL40

Quote:
i wonder what this means for caron though? seems its probably time to make room for him or move him.. and suddenly all the rooms at the inn just got filled.
Caron IMO is going somewhere else. He is about the only almost ready for NHL prospect we have and he is likely going in a package for another player.

Quote:
Paille was a playoff warrior no doubt, but remember at the beginning/mid of last season he was scratched more often than not? Marchand worked his way off the fourth line to the second. I like the idea of leaving a spot open on the fourth line for a rookie to get his feet wet.
This was back when Paille was being used on the 3rd line. Paille IMO found his niche when Marchand earned a trip up to the Bergeron line and Paille turned into the 4th line energy guy. I think Paille was being pushed to be a goal scorer where he seems better suited to being an energy guy.

I also think he and Campbell have good chemistry.

Paille's PK skills were always good, but I think he is better suited as an energy guy or as part of a shutdown line. I think Paille just needed time to find his role and solidify it.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
my only concerns with these guys not excepting is that they are seeing far less than Boychuck. MAybe him getting a 3+ million dollar contract isn't sitting well with these guys who are being offered less. To me the Boychuck deal creates friction with the troops because he is one of them and there won't be enough to pay everyone that much.
Can any of you say Boychuck was a bigger piece to winning the cup than any of the soup line. I say NO. could they have won without any of these guys? YES
They needed every one of the 21 guys who played in the playoffs. Every last one of them did something important, whether it was one thing, or their consistent play. To say that the Bruins could have won without these guys is just plain wrong.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:16 AM
TCL40

I will just point out with regards to the Boychuk contract. Boychuk is a top 4 defenseman (yes fans of the bruins don't think he is, but he plays top 4 minutes and if he went to another team he would likely play top 4 minutes there).

The soup line is a the teams 4th line. They are forwards and while they are very good for the Bruins the reality is that the best any of them could hope for on another teamwould be similar role or 3rd line. I don't think any of them expect a Boychuk like payout. Their roles are different.

Old
02-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I'm worried about the Kelly contract, we could have used that money elsewhere.

He started the season off hot but has cooled down and has looked like the regular Kelly for like the last 2 months.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Why don't we try and re-sign our franchise goalie instead of worrying about these dime a dozen bottom tier players, I would have signed Rask right after Krejci but whatever.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I'm probably in the minority but I think Campbell is a must re-sign, he really pulls that fourth line together and we finally have a good/solid fourth line center.

I would keep Campbell, maybes on Paille and Thornton, depends on the term and money, not sure about Kelly to be honest.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:02 AM
TCL40

Quote:
He started the season off hot but has cooled down and has looked like the regular Kelly for like the last 2 months.
Well in his defense-he has been playing on pieced together AHL lines since December. I also think a lot of his mojo came from playing with Peverly who he hasn't really played with since December.

Also, I am not sure anyone expected him to stay on the pace he was earlier in the year.

As for Rask-it is very likely and very possible they are in discussions but haven't come to an agreement. There may be some areas of dispute. Just because there isn't a press release about itl, that doesn't mean the front office isn't trying to work a deal and isn't talking with his agent.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:03 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The fan boys (and girls) must love this.
Really, Morris? Don't you remember the post lockout debacle, where we had all these open spots to fill with the rest of the league's castoffs?

At least Chia is looking to control his destiny and see what he has to work with in terms of roster spots and cap space.

I think you are just being contrarian here, or else lazy. You can produce a better argument than the thinly-veiled "I hate Artemis".

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:04 AM
GrumpyJ
My name is Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBombay9 View Post
I could live without Thornton, let's hope if they all accept ,they are at reasonable numbers.
See, sometimes I say that...but usually as soon as I do, he does something where I competely do a 180.

GrumpyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:04 AM
TCL40

Oh and also Rask is still an RFA. The team still has a lot of power when it comes to him. The other players are pending UFA's. I think getting an idea of their intentions will help with trade decisions.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Really, Morris? Don't you remember the post lockout debacle, where we had all these open spots to fill with the rest of the league's castoffs?

At least Chia is looking to control his destiny and see what he has to work with in terms of roster spots and cap space.

I think you are just being contrarian here, or else lazy. You can produce a better argument than the thinly-veiled "I hate Artemis".
I think the better argument is "are we overspending for bottom tier guys" when the money could be better invested in a premier FA. Lets face it, every year there will be players with comparable skill available at the end of free agency (See Dominic Moore). Its a numbers game.

Now I will not criticize until I know the dollars....it could work out in our favor. What I will say, however, is just because we gutted the roster prior to the lockout does not make this a good (or bad) strategy. Too many other variables.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:07 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Quote:
I could live without Thornton, let's hope if they all accept ,they are at reasonable numbers
See, sometimes I say that...but usually as soon as I do, he does something where I competely do a 180.
I like Thornton. And at the moment he comes pretty cheap and I think he is well liked and respected in the city and the lockerroom. I suspect he stays on and I have no problem with that. He is actually probably playing some of his best hockey career wise right now. Give him a 1 or 2 year deal at most. If somebody else makes the roster he can be the 13th forward.

Old
02-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:

damn.

I wanted to make this post.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:26 AM
FutureConsiderations

Here's betting 3 of them take it and Kelly wants to test the market.

Good for Chiarelli trying to get his cap space in order for next year before the deadline. After winning a Cup, who knows what that does to their value (or self-perceived value).

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:27 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
With this bottom-6 guys you really need to have a hard number in your head at what they're worth. Going over on a player here and there in the bottom-6 can add up and become a problem when the team may have to address needs in the top-6 and top-4.

That said I think Thornton will come back for very similar money and finish his career in Boston which I think is very important. Very few teams field so many guys that can play a regular shift or brawl if necessary.

Paille seems like he could do better in free agency. I'd re-sign him if he agrees to similar money or a real short term for a permanent spot on the 4th line. Excellent penalty killer, throws timely hits, adds a real good set of wheels to our bottom-6.

Campbell I like. If he's willing to take very similar money there's no reason to dump him. If he's asking for a raise I think the Bruins can easily replace him.

Kelly is the one that scares me the most. Having a great year. It's been stated Ottawa really wants him back. He's already making close to the maximum I'd pay for him (depending on term). Tough decision but I'd hate to see the Bruins overpay on this one.

Either way I'd have to see all the deals and the numbers to pass judgement. I'm just happy Chia is committed to solidifying the bottom half of the team and assessing his cap situation going into a new CBA and with very important signings coming up in the next 2 years.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:34 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Thornton loves Boston and likely wants to retire here. I have the feeling any contract he is offered will be short term and will likely still involve a hometown discount. I figure he is going to go one year two at most. And for enforcer types he isn't a waste of space on his line-he can play decent hockey and had a career year last year and is doing pretty well this year.

I think Paille and Campbell may test waters elsewhere though. I am pretty sure Paille could get another team to pay him more than Boston is willing to pay. Campbell too maybe. I think for them it comes down to how much they want to stay in Boston. I am pretty sure the offers will be fair, but they might find more money somewhere else.
Last I heard he was looking for two years. Well worth it IMO.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:51 AM
YzerGuy
Overpaid 4th Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Last I heard he was looking for two years. Well worth it IMO.
Give Shawn his 2 years and then slide him into a NESN spot.

YzerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:03 AM
jokerboysmith

I like the idea of having all four return. Not sure Kelly accepts?
Best fourth line in hockey, keep them together a few more years.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:07 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
I didn't expect Thornton to be re-signed, 35 is rather old for an enforcer.
Surely you can see by now that there is far more to Thornton`s game other than just being an "enforcer" he ain`t Sestito out there.

This news, amongst other things is why I continue to be pumped about this team moving forward (wonky month excluded which happens), Chia and his assembled team see what they have (warriors when it counts) and know their value, I`m not confident he`ll be able to secure the services of them all but one thing is for sure, with Chia, he wouldn`t have handed them offers that were insulting.

One more year of the afformentioned players allows a prospect or two to do what prospects used to be able to do, grow and develop their games at the proper speed. If there is one that I could see leaving/being traded and it has nothing to do with me liking him (my opinion hardly sways Chia) it`s Soupy.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:13 AM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
I like the idea of having all four return. Not sure Kelly accepts?
Best fourth line in hockey, keep them together a few more years.
I know we are all excited about them getting extension offers, but before we have a parade we might want to think about the costs.

What are the offers?

Thorton 1 /1.2?
Paille 1.2/ 1.3?
Campbell 1.5/1.75?
Kelly 2.5/ 2.75?

We might cringe to see what Chia is paying them.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:15 AM
McKuato

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
He wasn't qualified by Montreal.

Very disappointed - now I won't get to see MacDermid - Whitfield - Hamill dream 4th line
Dream? Nightmare? One man's dream
Still not too late for MacD

McKuato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

Perhaps, but I do not want them to overpay for bottom 6 forwards that do night score or fight. If you are going to suck at offense, might as well bring something entertaining to the game. I have said it many times, its my absolute least favorite type of player in the game. Paille's, Kelly (when he is on his career average pace). Axellson, etc. HATE, HATE, HATE those types of players. And I would go as far and say those type players are detrimental to the sport and they just add much more boring to the game. Wow that guy is out there to eat ice time and not make mistakes, if he isn't noticed, he did his job.

I just find it hilariously predictable that the anti roster movement crowd are rejoicing, at this, as the thought of bringing is someone new would (gasp) ruin the chemistry of this team. That is until they are actually let go, then it is the greatest move in the history of the NHL because it was done by a Bruins GM. So yes, I do enjoy making thinly veiled insults to those types.

I would not see a problem with them bringing back Campbell and Thornton, letting Paille and Kelly take a walk, and filling their spots with Knight/Spooner, and MacDermid.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote