Bruins offer Extensions to Kelly, Paille, Campbell and Thornton

Old
02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
WHile I will agre that its not a good idea to overspend on bottom-tier guys, I would also rather have a lineup that doesn't have any obvious holes in it prior to going into free agency (where you will almost surely overspend). I realize its a cap world and its important to both give prospects a shot and to bring in some new blood to energize the lineup. You can still have prospects and new blood come in and get their shot, without relying on them to be solid contributors out of the gate. I just don't believe tendering offers to the existing UFA group you would "potentialy" like to retain, even if its just to see where they are form a salary-expectation standpoint, is a bad idea in any way.

Obviously the post-lockout example is the worst-case scenario. But so is the expectation that all of these guys will sign to bloated contracts. I just believe its good to see Chiarelli working to shore up the roster spots and think.

We've seen our GM make the right salary decisions with the roster in order to improve it (Murray, Sturm, Shaefer). Not always the best, but certainly cap-conscious and not so much in love with players that he won't move them as needed.

If I had to choose to overspend or let them walk, I would rather Chia overspend slightly on all of these guys than let them walk and replace then with a question mark. Salary management is still an option once you have a guy locked up, but filling a roster spot with a Free Agent or Prospect is actualy more risky, IMO.
Solid post, and that's the thing - Chiarelli has made initial offers. That's doesn't mean they're signed, sealed and delivered. It's just the first step. Whether they all sign, some do and some don't, for what price, nobody knows yet. All he's done has basically said "we want you back. Let's talk." We'll see where it goes from here.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:58 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
I contradicted myself a little there. That's what happens when I post while I'm doing other stuff.

"I will agree that its not a good idea to overspend on bottom-tier guys"
and
"I would rather Chia overspend slightly on all of these guys than let them walk"

To clarify, I am not against some overpayment, but I am against restrictive contract elements, either in term or in concessions (NTC, NMC, etc). "Overspending" in the sense that there more money tied to gys that I would like...well, I don't have as much of a problem with that as I do with length of contract, or concessions.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Therick67

Thornton on 98.5 said he isn't aware of any offer.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I contradicted myself a little there. That's what happens when I post while I'm doing other stuff.

and
"I would rather Chia overspend slightly on all of these guys than let them walk"

To clarify, I am not against some overpayment, but I am against restrictive contract elements, either in term or in concessions (NTC, NMC, etc). "Overspending" in the sense that there more money tied to gys that I would like...well, I don't have as much of a problem with that as I do with length of contract, or concessions.
With the cap, though, sometimes that has to be an option to cut costs.

The notion that Chiarelli hands out NTCs indiscriminately is false, though. The Bruins, last I checked, are pretty much in line with the rest of the league in that department.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
jerrywally23*

Money Vs Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmessy View Post
Campbell and Kelly could easily get a lot more money elsewhere compare to what we will probably give them. I just hope they like winning a lot more than the loot
This is why I don't like Russian players, they seem to be in it more for the Money then winning.

jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
hoss75

The merlot line is currently a great deal considering they're a good 4th line and all multiple role guys .
Campbell: pretty darn effective with ice time, great PKer, helps make a 4th line get a few goals.
Paille: pretty darn effective with 4th ice time, awesome PKer, speedy substitution
Thronton: pretty darn effective with 4th ice time, enforcer, team comedian, leader in the locker room.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:20 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
This is why I don't like Russian players, they seem to be in it more for the Money then winning.
This is more to do with the fact that Russian kids coming out of junior-leagues have the opportunity for guaranteed contracts in other leagues. Has little to do with nationality and more to do with guaranteed money versus ridign a bus for 1/10th of what they might otherwise be paid. Hard to compete with that.

Established players from any nationality are all subject to wining versus greed, and all want to be paid.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
The merlot line is currently a great deal considering they're a good 4th line and all multiple role guys .
Campbell: pretty darn effective with ice time, great PKer, helps make a 4th line get a few goals.
Paille: pretty darn effective with 4th ice time, awesome PKer, speedy substitution
Thronton: pretty darn effective with 4th ice time, enforcer, team comedian, leader in the locker room.
However, the Merlot line did quite well with Marchand on it instead of Paille, so did the Bruins PK.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Without question the Bruins have the best fourth line in the NHL. There are 29 other coaches who would kill that have that weapon in their arsenal. These guys can skate, hit and pot the occasional goal while providing the Bs with an energy boost & enforcement when necessary. So props to Chiarelli for offering extensions- it seems with most teams the fourth liners are an afterthought.

Will he succeed with all of them? Maybe, maybe not. In fact probably not- some guys will go for the green now that they've got the ring. And that will open spots for the kids & UFA's that may sign with the Bs.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
However, the Merlot line did quite well with Marchand on it instead of Paille, so did the Bruins PK.
Are you saying we should double shift Marchand or break up the Bergy line?

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Are you saying we should double shift Marchand or break up the Bergy line?
Really?

I am saying that Paille is not the end all with that line. It was excellent with Marchand, as it was with Paille. I would advocate having MacDermid compete for that spot next season.;

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
dtam83

^I still like Paille on the PK, would keep Marchand fresher on offense

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:36 AM
hoss75

Quote:
Really?

I am saying that Paille is not the end all with that line. It was excellent with Marchand, as it was with Paille. I would advocate having MacDermid compete for that spot next season.;
I def agree. You could improve that line and Marchand did it, but you get a good amount of work for the approx $3 million? with those 3 guys.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 AM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Really?

It worked with a guy much more talented than Paille, so it should work with a guy much less talented than Paille?

Don't get it.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

You could improve most 4th lines by putting a 30g top 6 forward on it with Marchands skillset, but that isn't exactly economically viable.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:42 AM
CamFan81
Derp

I'm amazed at how much attention is being paid on this line...

This is one of the lines that does what they're paid to do night in and night out. All 3 earn their keep which is alot more than we can say for some of the "stars" at the moment. I'm not saying they aren't moveable or perhaps replaceable. If one of them starts thinking they're more than they are, well, then they will deal with reality very quickly.

For the money they're making with the impact they have, it might be one of the best bang for your buck lines in the league. Why mess with it?

Last edited by doubleminor138: 02-17-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: cuss filter
CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Thornton on 98.5 said he isn't aware of any offer.
That's odd, unless his agent hasn't told him yet.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:55 AM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
They needed every one of the 21 guys who played in the playoffs. Every last one of them did something important, whether it was one thing, or their consistent play. To say that the Bruins could have won without these guys is just plain wrong.
i was saying they could have overcome one of these loses, like they did with horton

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:57 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Really?

The main flaw that I have with that is that there's a good chance that MacDermid won't be able to replicate what Paille is doing, let alone what Marchand did, and then the B's would be forced to either keep cycling through young kids & hoping one pans out (which hasn't worked lately, e.g. Caron & Hamill, both of whom were given the chance to play with better linemates) or overpay for a vet to come in and play the Paille role.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
panny2727

Quote:
WHile I will agree that its not a good idea to overspend on bottom-tier guys, I would also rather have a lineup that doesn't have any obvious holes in it prior to going into free agency (where you will almost surely overspend). I realize its a cap world and its important to both give prospects a shot and to bring in some new blood to energize the lineup. You can still have prospects and new blood come in and get their shot, without relying on them to be solid contributors out of the gate. I just don't believe tendering offers to the existing UFA group you would "potentialy" like to retain, even if its just to see where they are form a salary-expectation standpoint, is a bad idea in any way.

Obviously the post-lockout example is the worst-case scenario. But so is the expectation that all of these guys will sign to bloated contracts. I just believe its good to see Chiarelli working to shore up the roster spots and think.

We've seen our GM make the right salary decisions with the roster in order to improve it (Murray, Sturm, Shaefer). Not always the best, but certainly cap-conscious and not so much in love with players that he won't move them as needed.

If I had to choose to overspend or let them walk, I would rather Chia overspend slightly on all of these guys than let them walk and replace then with a question mark. Salary management is still an option once you have a guy locked up, but filling a roster spot with a Free Agent or Prospect is actualy more risky, IMO.

overspend slightly is a good thing because all the guys deserve it.
Johnny Boychuck got a big raise (doubled this years salary) and i am not so sure he deserved that big of a raise from chia knowing that he still has 4 other UFA players to resign. He got more money than your number two defenseman in seidenberg. Chia is asking for problems giving this big of a raise unless he plans on trading Boychuck

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
overspend slightly is a good thing because all the guys deserve.
Johnny Boychuck got a big raise and i am not so sure he deserved that big of a raise from chia knowing that he still has 4 other UFA players to resign.
Boychuck got a big raise, IMO. But I think Chia (as well as myself) believe that veteran defensemen are more valuable components than bottom six forwards. Overpay your defensemen because they are so highly valued on the open market.

Doesn't mean it won't make negotiations more difficult with the UFAs, especialy Kelly, but I still say its the right call.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Really?

MacDermid seems too slow for my liking. Paille's skill that sets him apart is his ability to use his speed in nervous energy situations. Lane lacks that jump.

I'm also not a big fan of promoting players who haven't shown they can cut it at the pro level. I'd rather have a shutdown PKer than a guy whose best skills are in his fists.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

and

I'll say this:

I'd rather go into the CBA negotiations with question marks on the roster, than KNOW that we've overspent on bottom six talent.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
That's odd, unless his agent hasn't told him yet.
You do know Chia doesn't like to negotiate in the media, right?

Thornton comment was just his way to politely say don't ask.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
I'll say this:

I'd rather go into the CBA negotiations with question marks on the roster, than KNOW that we've overspent on bottom six talent.
The last time they tried this approach they wound up with Brad Isbister, Travis Green, David Tanabe, Alexi Zhamnov and Jiri Slegr on the team, I'll take overpaying by a bit to avoid that strategy

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote