Notices

Bruins offer Extensions to Kelly, Paille, Campbell and Thornton

Old
02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Giesse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
... For the money they're making with the impact they have, it might be one of the best bang for your buck lines in the league. Why mess with it?
Shrewd move to use the opportunity to deal with the fourth line as a group simultaneously, no harm in hoping that a little peer pressure will help the negotiations to keep all three.
Very complimentary to all four that the Bruins are showing early interest.

Last edited by doubleminor138: 02-17-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: cuss fler
Giesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
The last time they tried this approach they wound up with Brad Isbister, Travis Green, David Tanabe, Alexi Zhamnov and Jiri Slegr on the team, I'll take overpaying by a bit to avoid that strategy
Nope. They said they didn't want ANY contracts on the team. As few as possible.

Last I checked, Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Bergeron, Seguin, Peverley, Marchand, Boychuk, Chara, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Ference, Thomas: All signed through at LEAST next season.

Let's put the paranoia aside. The core + (aside from Rask) is already coming back.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Nope. They said they didn't want ANY contracts on the team. As few as possible.

Last I checked, Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Bergeron, Seguin, Peverley, Marchand, Boychuk, Chara, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Ference, Thomas: All signed through at LEAST next season.

Let's put the paranoia aside. The core + (aside from Rask) is already coming back.
True, but I don't see the cap going down by much if there is a season. Kelly and maybe Thornton will be the most expensive to lock up, and I think Kelly tries free agency, get your pieces in place and determine what you have to spend on an impact UFA this summer/fall. They are millions under the current cap, even with raises they should still be under by a comfortable amount.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 01:00 PM
KevinMcHaleOnSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
This is great news for two reasons...

First, it sends a message to the UFA's that his first priority is to bring back the team that won the Cup.

Second, it allows Chairelli to gauge his Salary cap situation for the next three years. If someone like Kelly declines, then he becomes a piece in a move or cap space for this year and next. Same goes for Campbell. Thornton deserves to retire a Bruin and then return to the Shwa! Paille can be replaced by Pouliot's or his spot becomes open for the prospects.

This is Chiarelli getting a strong gauge on his salary cap for next year onward two weeks before the deadline...

Bottom line folks: The Boston Bruins are interested in a player that has a contract beyond this season.
This is spot on.... the timing of these offers isn't a coincidence. Chia will know who will play ball with him and who won't in plenty of time to make a move. If player X is intent on testing the FA market, then Chia will look around, too. Maybe he weighs getting a Vermette now with the knowledge that Kelly isn't returning and using the Kelly money to absorb the cap hit next year.

Personally, Campbell is the most interesting guy. Campbell will throw hands, win face-offs and get considerable PK time and he won't get more than 2m, right? I just think that Kelly is gone if he hasn't signed yet. Not a crime, maybe he likes OTT better. I think this makes Campbell that much more important.

I think Paille and Thornton both take the extensions... they both have it pretty good in Boston.

KevinMcHaleOnSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Boston4Life88*

calling players like kelly and paille useless is an extemely ignorant comment and shows the person doesnt know much about hockey, they are both extremely valuable penalty killers and can wear a team down with their speed on the forecheck but i guess you want superstars at every position and attempt to win 11-10 every ****ing game, unbelieveable

Boston4Life88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Kinda strange this is taking any flack considering this is the group of guys that won the Stanley Cup. It's not like Chia is trying to keep the '04 Bruins together...Best 4th line in hockey and one of the better 3rd line centermen. I don't get it.

Yup. Kelly, Paille, Thornton and Campbell were warriors when it counted and helped deliver the Cup to Boston.

Too many folks seem to think the bottom 6 are spare parts that can be easily replaced.

Good for GM Chiarelli that he appreciates what he has in this group of warriors. Bottom 6 players don't get much better than this.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Paille gets around 12 goals on the 4th line, is young, fast, good character, and a guy who played his best hockey in the biggest game of his career....if I am the Oilers he's a perfect fit to be on my bottom 6. I can see him getting 7.5 for 3 years. Why not. Boston is not paying that, no way, no how. GONE

Kelly is a guy I like a lot, but lets face facts- he's a 15 goal scorer entering the Autumn of his career age-wise. He'd be a perfect fit in- Ottawa. Think about it- that team is loaded with yutes and he comes home with the experience of the Cup, wearing the A, playing in all those big games, complete familiarity with that organization. He can be a big help to that team. See yah- I'd bet he gets the extra (third year) the Bruins probably don't and shouldn't give. GONE

Campbell is the interesting one to me. He may be back because the others leave. Not sure how much he gets, probably around 1-1.5 M but he's a gamer and has had his moments. I'd be comfortable with a three year deal at about 4 M but as good as he is as a fourth liner his value decreases quite a bit on the third line. STAYS

Thornton is the one I think stays. I'd certainly offer him 2 years at a million a year. Him making less than that is a joke. Guy has done everything asked and does a lot in the room. Fantastic signing by Chiarelli. STAYS

I also find this a message just not sure I can pin point it. I think Chiarelli has probably tried to lock these guys up to team friendly contracts, but my belief is he did it 'with like' not love in his heart for any of them. He can take them all or leave them all but I'm sure he really doesn't want to lose them all.

It does make it interesting concerning the prospects that could make this roster next year. He has to weigh that in any trade discussion because those 4 plus Pouliot and the uncertainty of Horton make it less likely he trades his near ready prospects for any rental.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Good News !

These are the guys that were a big help in the cup win.

I remember on the main board (during the SCF playoffs) posters from other teams saying they would take the B's third and forth line players over the Nucks first.

I hope they can sign them all.

I love Shawn and Dan Paille has really impressed me with that energy every shift.

02-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Paille gets around 12 goals on the 4th line, is young, fast, good character, and a guy who played his best hockey in the biggest game of his career....if I am the Oilers he's a perfect fit to be on my bottom 6. I can see him getting 7.5 for 3 years. Why not. Boston is not paying that, no way, no how. GONE

Kelly is a guy I like a lot, but lets face facts- he's a 15 goal scorer entering the Autumn of his career age-wise. He'd be a perfect fit in- Ottawa. Think about it- that team is loaded with yutes and he comes home with the experience of the Cup, wearing the A, playing in all those big games, complete familiarity with that organization. He can be a big help to that team. See yah- I'd bet he gets the extra (third year) the Bruins probably don't and shouldn't give. GONE

Campbell is the interesting one to me. He may be back because the others leave. Not sure how much he gets, probably around 1-1.5 M but he's a gamer and has had his moments. I'd be comfortable with a three year deal at about 4 M but as good as he is as a fourth liner his value decreases quite a bit on the third line. STAYS

Thornton is the one I think stays. I'd certainly offer him 2 years at a million a year. Him making less than that is a joke. Guy has done everything asked and does a lot in the room. Fantastic signing by Chiarelli. STAYS

I also find this a message just not sure I can pin point it. I think Chiarelli has probably tried to lock these guys up to team friendly contracts, but my belief is he did it 'with like' not love in his heart for any of them. He can take them all or leave them all but I'm sure he really doesn't want to lose them all.

It does make it interesting concerning the prospects that could make this roster next year. He has to weigh that in any trade discussion because those 4 plus Pouliot and the uncertainty of Horton make it less likely he trades his near ready prospects for any rental.
Well said my friend.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
bostonphoenix

Quote:

This is really well thought out....

I think the writing on the wall is for Thomas's departure mostly for cap reasons and perhaps we'll get the greatest bounty in return.

If this happens there's enough cap room to play with and all 3 remaining back....

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
True, but I don't see the cap going down by much if there is a season. Kelly and maybe Thornton will be the most expensive to lock up, and I think Kelly tries free agency, get your pieces in place and determine what you have to spend on an impact UFA this summer/fall. They are millions under the current cap, even with raises they should still be under by a comfortable amount.
You compared not signing our bottom four to the debacle of the last lockout. Totally hyperbolic and profoundly inaccurate.

They aren't as comfortable as it seems and if they over-commit, they will be even less so.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
It's a diplomatic gesture even if nothing comes of it.

Chia really wants to keep this team together and I applaud that.

I think Thornton will be the first and maybe only one to take it. I don't know about the others. They could all get decent raises elsewhere I think.

Here's the difference Trenton; the Bruins are building a winning tradition, and the GM is gaining a reputation as a fair, and uncontentious negotiator.

This, along with winning the Cup, improves how the team is perceived through the eyes of the agents, and just as importantly, through the eyes of impending UFA's.

Rich Nash has this team on his short list, right?

Remember how easily players were resigned by teams with winning traditions?
The Red Wings are the perfect example. No flash, all substance.

I realize your post is a simple spontaneous musing-over; however, I'd like to point out that with the way PC is doing business, the chances of him actually acheiving what he sets out to do -- are quite good.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

Pouliot is a RFA, btw.

I don't think either of them get more than 2 years considering the talent coming up soon.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Here's the difference Trenton; the Bruins are building a winning tradition, and the GM is gaining a reputation as a fair, and uncontentious negotiator.

This, along with winning the Cup, improves how the team is perceived through the eyes of the agents, and just as importantly, through the eyes of impending UFA's.

I realize your post is a simple spontaneous musing-over; however, I'd like to point out that with the way PC is doing business, the chances of him actually acheiving what he sets out to do -- are quite good.

Outstanding post. I've been a fan of the Bruins since 1983 and I've not seen anything like the professional approach that GM Chiarelli and his team bring to the Bruins organization.

I believe that they will compete at a high level for a long time with the balanced, respectful approach they are taking with players and agents.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

So what if the Bruins overpay a little to keep arguably the best 4th line in hockey.

That being said,without knowing what the offers are i think the only player sure to resign is Thornton. He actually gets to play and doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting.He loves the city, and is probably the last contract he will sign. Bruins offer 2 years 9k per.

I can see a guy like Kelly get a 4m from a GM who needs to make a splash.But i do think he is comfortable in beantown and knows he has the chance to be on a real good team for a few more years. Bruins offer 2years 3.25m.

Paille and Campbell are the two i am most worried about. I think they both feel they can be 3rd liners and may move to a team that views them the same way. I can see them both getting offers of 1.5m per. Bruins offer 2 years 1.4m.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:00 PM
DropkickMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
So what if the Bruins overpay a little to keep arguably the best 4th line in hockey.

That being said,without knowing what the offers are i think the only player sure to resign is Thornton. He actually gets to play and doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting.He loves the city, and is probably the last contract he will sign. Bruins offer 2 years 9k per.

I can see a guy like Kelly get a 4m from a GM who needs to make a splash.But i do think he is comfortable in beantown and knows he has the chance to be on a real good team for a few more years. Bruins offer 2years 3.25m.

Paille and Campbell are the two i am most worried about. I think they both feel they can be 3rd liners and may move to a team that views them the same way. I can see them both getting offers of 1.5m per. Bruins offer 2 years 1.4m.
This is how I feel, I rather overpay to keep the fourth line guys (in turn keeping essential same team together for another two years) rather than overpaying and send pieces away for one "star" player.

As it was fantastically pointed out this Bruins system is built for these role playing/grinders as opposed to a supporting cast to a star (i.e. The Capitals).

Its easier to fill in the top pieces when you have such a strong core of "bottom line" players intact.

DropkickMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:04 PM
pgm16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post

and make no mistake about it.....they are the best 4th line in the NHL

pgm16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Diskothek

Best 4th line in hockey, hope they all accept. Kelly is a great asset as well. Good work, Chia.

Diskothek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
TCL40

Quote:
I agree. They will both be able to seek more money elsewhere, but the downside is they may not like elsewhere and if they can't quite hack it on a 3rd line on the new team, they may not get the playing time they do in Boston. Shoot some teams the 3rd line probably gets similar minutes.

This 4th line is a good one and trusted by Julien. Paille and Campbell both have a lot of thinking to do and some trade offs to make. They may opt for less salary and Boston or look to go somewhere else. I think both easily find jobs somewhere else-just on their ability to create energy and kill penalties.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:04 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post

Yup. Agreed. You are basically better explaining what was the gist of my post. Even if these guys take a bigger and better deal they don't leave here with a feeling that they weren't wanted. Chiarelli is doing a good job with both management and culture.

I think the potential for a rising cap will also help PC's cause. If the cap does go up that reported 4m+ then I see keeping all four of these players a definite reality.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:10 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:

Very nice analysis. I'd love all four back, but if Paille walks, that would open up the possibility of a MacDermid-Campbell-Thornton 4th line, and that line would bust some skulls.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote