HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Friday, February 17th Jets Game Day Papers (Coach Noel audio)

Old
02-17-2012, 08:01 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Friday, February 17th Jets Game Day Papers (Coach Noel audio)

Friday, February 17th Jets Game Day Papers

Jets news:

Note: We will be at practice today for both the Jets and Bruins and should have audio for the players and coaches by 1pm.

Winnipeg Free Press: No untouchable Jets players says Chevy. Not surprised about that, although I’d suggest that Ondrej Pavelec is quite safe. What might surprise some is that he hasn’t been negotiating with any soon to be unrestricted free agents (i.e. Slater, Glass, et al).

Winnipeg Free Press: Killer Kane tames Wild. He was the big time player the Jets needed to step up and provide this team with some scoring. If he can keep his game elevated, raise up the level of play of those around him, the Jets could be in for quite the home stretch staring tonight against the Bruins.

Winnipeg Sun: Snapshots. Mason solid at right time. Jets love extra time. Good shootout results. Poor 3rd period start. Kane was dominant. Kane and Wheeler look good together. First shots for Wild go in. Jets held the Wild back for most of the 2nd. 1000′s of Jets fan in the building.

Winnipeg Sun: Jets give old-fashioned Kaning. While it seems like every game has been a “must win” for the Jets, after last night’s key victory, they absolutely have to show that they can win a back-to-back if they are to be considered a playoff team. They are 0-9 in the 2nd game of these types of series so we will know by around 10 pm if these Jets can climb the standings.

FS North: Wild, Jets are becoming nasty neighbors. I called this out as a possible great rivalry at the beginning of the season. While proximity doesn’t always create antagonism it appears these two teams do not like each other. Unfortunately we will be waiting for a bit longer before we see the Wild 6 times per season.

Winnipeg Free Press: Shopper scoring $1M a long shot. I do not have a problem with the long shot odds of winning this contest. What they could consider, if they are eager to give away a million dollars, is if there is no winner at end of the season, to give the money to a randomly drawn individual or to roll the money into the next year. Wouldn’t that be something, if in 2014 when March Scheifele scores 5 goals and one lucky Manitoban wins 3 million dollars.

The Barrie Examiner: No place like home for this Colts trio. Speaking of the Jets #1 draft pick in the 2011 Entry Draft, Scheifle is returning home in what might be his last game in Kitchener-Waterloo.

Illegal Curve: Jets on a Deadline – Jets 4 Wild 3 in shootout. Game recaps, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

Next opponent news – Boston Bruins:

NESN: B’s continue quest for consistency in next stop on long road trip in Winnipeg. Can the Jets dump the defending champs for a 2nd time on home ice? Will Tyler Seguin’s alarm clock cause difficulties? Stay tuned.

Boston Herald: With Rich Peverly out, Bruins must juggle. Looks like Claude Julien is having to make the most of his thin lineup right now. A fact that the relatively healthy Jets are going to have to take advantage of.

For the Jets and Bruins news click here.

Follow Friday on Twitter - Give the IC crew a follow today:

@illegalcurve

@icdave

@icrichyp

@icezzyg

@icdrew

@mremis

Last edited by ICdave: 02-17-2012 at 12:35 PM.
ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

vCash: 50
I'm just not sure how to take this article and quotes from Chevy, it's just messing with my head.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...139501863.html

Quote:
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said Thursday night he wants there to be no doubt he's a buyer in the approach to the NHL's trade deadline Feb. 27.

"I don't like the terms buyer and seller," Cheveldayoff told the Free Press at the Xcel Energy Center, where his Jets were playing the Minnesota Wild. "A lot of people ask me which I am.

"I'm always going to be trying to acquire assets. I'm always looking to make our team better for the future."

Cheveldayoff said Thursday he's had many conversations with his NHL peers in recent days.
Quote:
As for what assets might be in play, Cheveldayoff was predictably vague, but he did say he holds no player on a "pedestal," making it clear he has no untouchable players on his current roster.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=142820  3509
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Huffer

This has me concerned:

"On the other end of that matter, Cheveldayoff confirmed that he has not been negotiating with any of his soon-to-be-unrestricted-free-agent players about contract extensions."

WTF?? So he doesn't want to try to bring any of them back? Slater?

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Guerzy
Winnipeg Whiteout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
This has me concerned:

"On the other end of that matter, Cheveldayoff confirmed that he has not been negotiating with any of his soon-to-be-unrestricted-free-agent players about contract extensions."

WTF?? So he doesn't want to try to bring any of them back? Slater?
Ya, who knows. Maybe he thinks he'll have enough time at seasons end to do the negotiating. He'll in all likelihood have 2-3 months before July 1st rolls around.

My opinion is if we cannot negotiate and retain players like Glass or Slater in a time frame of 2-3 months (seasons end to July 1st), then they will likely not be here next season. Either these guys want to stay here or not, and in my opinion the negotiations should be fairly smooth if both sides want eachother.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
IMckay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Ya, who knows. Maybe he thinks he'll have enough time at seasons end to do the negotiating. He'll in all likelihood have 2-3 months before July 1st rolls around.

My opinion is if we cannot negotiate and retain players like Glass or Slater in a time frame of 2-3 months (seasons end to July 1st), then they will likely not be here next season. Either these guys want to stay here or not, and in my opinion the negotiations should be fairly smooth if both sides want eachother.
Yeah exactly. Glass seems to really enjoy it here and Slater is pretty involved with the community and seems to really enjoy the fan support so I think he thinks the same.

Also most GM's don't do too much negotiating with UFA's during this point in the season if you are a team on the cusp of a playoff spot - it's too much of a distraction to the team/players. It's usually only the teams that are pretty much locked in playoff position or teams that are out of it for sure that do.

IMckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Game Day Preview: Bruins @ Jets

The Winnipeg Jets earned a delicious 4-3 shootout victory over the Minnesota Wild Thursday night and tonight the Jets are hoping the Boston Bruins can be dessert.

To read Ezzy's preview click here.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

It looks like Slater's days are numbered. With no contract negotiations taking place and Cormier and now Macenauer waiting in the wings, I'm guessing Chevy is comfortable letting him walk.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

There was a similar discussion in the Free Agent thread, so I will just copy and paste my post from there:

If we are "out of it" at the deadline, does he deal away all of our UFA's then? Or does he try to sign a couple (Slater, maybe Glass) at the very last second?

I just don't see this as a very "proactive" way to manage. The organization has seen enough to know which guys they want to have back next year. I don't see how it makes organizational sense to not approach the agents and see if that is something that can be worked out. At least then you know where you stand.

Lets say we end up out of playoff contention at the deadline. Chevy gets numerous very good offers for guys like Slater and Glass but decides that he is going to sign them after the season. He approaches them in the off season and finds out that Slater really wants to return home due to family issues, and Glass isn't comfortable here and wants to play in a bigger city. Neither had any intention of ever resigning (purely hypothetical case here). Both guys walk.

Wouldn't it have been better to know that at the deadline?

Old
02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
It looks like Slater's days are numbered. With no contract negotiations taking place and Cormier and now Macenauer waiting in the wings, I'm guessing Chevy is comfortable letting him walk.
If we let Slater walk and get nothing for him, that would be a massive failure. Many playoff teams would easily give us quality pieces to add a guy like Slater for a cup run.

If we just let him walk for nothing, I will be extremely unimpressed.

Old
02-17-2012, 11:28 AM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
If we let Slater walk and get nothing for him, that would be a massive failure. Many playoff teams would easily give us quality pieces to add a guy like Slater for a cup run.

I guess the "re-build" might be on a really long term schedule if the team pulls these kinds of assinine moves.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:

Just because they publicly claimed they aren't currently negotiating with their potential UFAs' as of last night does not necessarily equate to that they will allow them to all walk for nothing. For all we know they've trade deals in the works for some or all of them, or they've quietly made overtures to agents this morning (for example) and are choosing intentionally to not publicize it.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Just because they publicly claimed they aren't currently negotiating with their potential UFAs' as of last night does not necessarily equate to that they will allow them to all walk for nothing. For all we know they've trade deals in the works for some or all of them, or they've quietly made overtures to agents this morning (for example) and are choosing intentionally to not publicize it.
The post you quoted was my response to WJG's comment of Chevy being comfortable letting Slater walk due to other players in the pipeline. It's not my position that a declaration of not meeting with UFA's leads to all of them walking for nothing.

My position is simply that without at least having conversations with players and their agents, Chevy really can't be sure where he is standing in regards to possibly resigning any of his UFA's.

IF we are clearly not making the playoffs by the trade deadline, I look at that as going into the deadline blind, because if you don't deal a guy because you "think" you have a good chance of resigning him only to find out he never was going to resign, you've done the team a disservice.

And I should add, there is a huge possibility that all of this IS going on and Chevy and TNSE just aren't the type to do it in the media. I respect that. My comments are based around the situation of us not being in the playoff hunt, and Chevy NOT at least meeting with agents of the players that he wants to resign.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Coach Claude Noel Game Day Press Conference

Coach Noel - Byfuglien’s play of late. Management of his game. Talking about the Bruins. (good joke to start his response). Back-to-back situation. Using 4 lines more often. Taking next step. Change in Wheeler’s game. Play of Antropov. Impact of the Jets fans at the Excel Energy Center last night. Trying to throw Burmistrov & Kane on the ice as much as possible. Kane’s play compliments Burmistrov.

To listen click here.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:09 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Winnipeg Jets Afternoon News

Winnipeg Jets Afternoon News

Jets news:

Winnipeg Free Press: Mason takes wraps off new mask. It is funny. I didn’t even notice the new mask as I was paying attention to the fact that he was wearing the new pads in practice. The Jets backup is quite the innovator with his equipment, What do you think of his new mask?

Winnipeg Free Press: Jets must shake back-to-back blues. There is no time like the present as they say and tonight would be a huge game for the Jets to prove they can master these all important 2nd games. Both the Jets and Bruins are playing 3 games in 4 nights, although the B’s had their night off yesterday.

Winnipeg Sun: Jets fans start Wild rivalry. It is not often you hear a coach in the NHL talking about the impact a home crowd has in an away building, but today during the coach’s press conference, Claude Noel spoke about the impact the fans of Winnipeg had on last night’s game atmosphere.

TSN: Jets face Bruins to open lengthy home stretch. Winnipeg is looking to duplicate their December home stretch success, and it starts tonight against the defending Stanley Cup champs.

For the Jets links click here.