HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors) PART II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
  #126
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,592
vCash: 500
Brooks' article today drove it home even further for me. Nash's cap hit is the fifth highest in the league. At a cap hit of $7.8 million, I would expect Stamkos-esque type production, and that's not the case with Nash.

Trading for a contract like that seems like the antithesis of the Rangers' philosophy in recent years. The Rangers are -this- close to shedding their overpaid contracts and to take on another could be a step in the wrong direction if Nash's production doesn't increase as a Ranger. I will honestly be very surprised if the Rangers end up with Nash.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
  #127
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Jeff Carter or bust if you are dealing with CBJ

RGY is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
  #128
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,159
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I can't wait till this nonsense is over. Let him go anywhere but here with his salary up to the roof.
Completely agreed.

fredrikstad is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
  #129
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
Touchy situation don't really want to mess with the chemistry of this team...

Mio41 is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:24 PM
  #130
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
The only way I would want Nash is if we give away nothing that I really like, and that's almost impossible. The only logical player going back I wouldn't mind losing is Anisimov. I don't want to trade Dubinsky or especially Del Zotto. I'm no expert on prospects but I know that up until recently a Ranger prospect had a shorter shelf life than a mayonnaise sandwich in Death Valley.

Nash is too much of a question mark. Is he only a good player on a bad team? He wouldn't be the first. I said in his first big year that he scored 40 goals and if you laid them end to end you couldn't ice the puck. And Carter is poison even without that insane contract.

.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:28 PM
  #131
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
MDZ is so much more valuable to this club its not even funny. Dubi, right now, is probably less important to this club than Brandon Prust. its pretty sad how far the kid has fallen.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:32 PM
  #132
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I'm not in the camp of wanting Nash at all, but this kind of statement is misleading.

People don't want to trade Dubinsky because they want to get rid of him. They want to trade him because of the mindset of "you've got to give to get."

Here's the thing though. In what we think should be a normal season, Nash is going to be putting up about 15-20 more points than Dubinsky. Is it really worth paying Nash nearly twice the salary and giving up other assets for an extra 15-20 points?

I love Rick Nash. In the words of my dad, who I agree with, he's an enormous hockey player. The benefit of having him just doesn't justify the cost of acquiring him.
I'm on the fence regarding trades but one has to keep an open mind and how would everyone feel if we won 2 cups because Nash led the playoffs in scoring for the Rangers for the next two playoff years ! We have a legit shot at two cups with a 40 goal scorer added to the roster . How many Cups do you guys think Kreider will win for us ? This could be a career year for a lot of Ranger guys...that happens ! Ottawa had some great teams back just a few years ago and won NOTHING . Give that some thought ! I would love to keep everybody...but I don't think we can win it this year with the current team as it is unless the PP takes off like there is no tomorrow !

Leetch66 is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:35 PM
  #133
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
I'm on the fence regarding trades but one has to keep an open mind and how would everyone feel if we won 2 cups because Nash led the playoffs in scoring for the Rangers for the next two playoff years ! We have a legit shot at two cups with a 40 goal scorer added to the roster . How many Cups do you guys think Kreider will win for us ? This could be a career year for a lot of Ranger guys...that happens ! Ottawa had some great teams back just a few years ago and won NOTHING . Give that some thought ! I would love to keep everybody...but I don't think we can win it this year with the current team as it is unless the PP takes off like there is no tomorrow !
It's not how many cups Kreider will win for us...but rather how many cups will a team (with him on it) win. Going all in for Nash speeds up the period where we will have the greatest chance of winning championships. Passing on Nash (likely) extends that period.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  #134
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
I'm on the fence regarding trades but one has to keep an open mind and how would everyone feel if we won 2 cups because Nash led the playoffs in scoring for the Rangers for the next two playoff years ! We have a legit shot at two cups with a 40 goal scorer added to the roster . How many Cups do you guys think Kreider will win for us ? This could be a career year for a lot of Ranger guys...that happens ! Ottawa had some great teams back just a few years ago and won NOTHING . Give that some thought ! I would love to keep everybody...but I don't think we can win it this year with the current team as it is unless the PP takes off like there is no tomorrow !
Of course I would be extremely happy if the Rangers won 2 Cups with Nash on the roster.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  #135
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's not how many cups Kreider will win for us...but rather how many cups will a team (with him on it) win. Going all in for Nash speeds up the period where we will have the greatest chance of winning championships. Passing on Nash (likely) extends that period.
I really believe this is why an aging Sather is interested in acquiring Nash. And Im not saying he will deal Kreider because i dont think he will. But knowing his salary will hamstring us in a couple years, sather might be going all in for the next two years by acquiring Nash

RGY is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:44 PM
  #136
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Dubi, right now, is probably less important to this club than Brandon Prust. its pretty sad how far the kid has fallen.
I think that's crazy. Dubinsky is a good player having a bad year and he's been hurt lately. I think Prust is one step above worthless this year.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:46 PM
  #137
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I think that's crazy. Dubinsky is a good player having a bad year and he's been hurt lately. I think Prust is one step above worthless this year.

Prust bleeds for it ever single night!

RangerBlues is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
  #138
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I really believe this is why an aging Sather is interested in acquiring Nash. And Im not saying he will deal Kreider because i dont think he will. But knowing his salary will hamstring us in a couple years, sather might be going all in for the next two years by acquiring Nash
Who knows what will happen? But this team is already on the verge of being there now and is poised to be a contender for the next several years at least. Sather is only 68, so it's not like he couldn't remain the GM for the run the team is about to go on. Personally I don't see him doing anything that will leave the Rangers (that he has been building the right way for several years now) in a bad way. I do believe if the cost for Nash is perceived as too high they'll pass and keep looking for the next option. Maybe it's Parise, maybe not. Maybe Dubinsky or a Dman are moved next year for a forward that is all the sudden "available" a la Heatley. My point is they don't have to go "all in" next week when there is plenty of time left on the clock.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:49 PM
  #139
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's not how many cups Kreider will win for us...but rather how many cups will a team (with him on it) win. Going all in for Nash speeds up the period where we will have the greatest chance of winning championships. Passing on Nash (likely) extends that period.
The road to the Cup will certainly be much easier this season if we don't have to face either Pronger or Crosby . Crosby will be back next season and so will the Penguins...and they will be a darn hard team to beat...much easier to beat this year . Also...Boston will have done a reload and have recovered from the Cup hangover...they will be a better team next season ...Philly will also be a better team next season . We will not be the only team getting better next season and that's only if we can get another career year out of Hank . You get a chance to go for it...you go for it !

Richards and Gabby are also one year older next season...why wait ??? Kreider might have very little impact next season on this club . So...if we miss out on Parise we are left without the big gun and that could be 2 years gone by...do you think Gabby and Hank and Richards will get better with age ??? This might be Hank's best shot at it...a career year !

Leetch66 is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:50 PM
  #140
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I really believe this is why an aging Sather is interested in acquiring Nash. And Im not saying he will deal Kreider because i dont think he will. But knowing his salary will hamstring us in a couple years, sather might be going all in for the next two years by acquiring Nash

BINGO...you nailed it ! I also don't think he will give Kreider up in doing so !

Leetch66 is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:52 PM
  #141
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I think that's crazy. Dubinsky is a good player having a bad year and he's been hurt lately. I think Prust is one step above worthless this year.
Prust fights, Prust PK's and he has only 11 fewer points playing with mostly the 4th line than Dubi does, while making about 1/4th the amount of cash.

Dubi needs to pick up his play significantly. He's turned into a perimeter passer. doesnt go to the net at all.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
  #142
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I would do Dubinsky and Sauer for Nash if he were cheaper.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
  #143
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
The road to the Cup will certainly be much easier this season if we don't have to face either Pronger or Crosby . Crosby will be back next season and so will the Penguins...and they will be a darn hard team to beat...much easier to beat this year . Also...Boston will have done a reload and have recovered from the Cup hangover...they will be a better team next season ...Philly will also be a better team next season . We will not be the only team getting better next season and that's only if we can get another career year out of Hank . You get a chance to go for it...you go for it !

Richards and Gabby are also one year older next season...why wait ??? Kreider might have very little impact next season on this club . So...if we miss out on Parise we are left without the big gun and that could be 2 years gone by...do you think Gabby and Hank and Richards will get better with age ??? This might be Hank's best shot at it...a career year !
I agree with almost all you are saying. This could be the perfect storm of a season with the key injuries to our competitors and what not. But I'm not willing to just throw caution to the wind and go all out for this one playoff run. We've been building this team the right way. Let's keep doing what we've been doing...they've looked pretty good recently.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:55 PM
  #144
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
This whole Nash thing. Bad idea.
He has never played a meaningful minute in his career and your going to trade 1-2 guys off the lineup and plug him in.
It would be a huge adjustment to the team and the player.

Off season, go for it.

RangerBlues is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:57 PM
  #145
Hankenstein
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
This whole Nash thing. Bad idea.
He has never played a meaningful minute in his career and your going to trade 1-2 guys off the lineup and plug him in.
It would be a huge adjustment to the team and the player.

Off season, go for it.
That's just ridiculous.

Olympics, WC MVP, and 3 points in 4 playoff games.

Hankenstein is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
  #146
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,470
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankenstein View Post
That's just ridiculous.

Olympics, WC MVP, and 3 points in 4 playoff games.
Large sample size, eh?

3 points in 4 games is hardly impressive for a player of Nash's supposed caliber, anyway.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
  #147
IBleedNYRBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedNYRBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
This whole Nash thing. Bad idea.
He has never played a meaningful minute in his career and your going to trade 1-2 guys off the lineup and plug him in.
It would be a huge adjustment to the team and the player.

Off season, go for it.
There is no right time to go for it.

8 years 7.8 mill per is a nightmare of a contract. There are no guarantees he comes here and fits in with this group. Couple that with the assets it will take and how we will be cap strung with 3 forward with 7mill cap hits, two being long term.

Stay the course and if the offense ***** the bed in the playoffs, explore a trade for Ryan.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
  #148
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Prust fights, Prust PK's and he has only 11 fewer points playing with mostly the 4th line than Dubi does, while making about 1/4th the amount of cash.

Dubi needs to pick up his play significantly. He's turned into a perimeter passer. doesnt go to the net at all.
Dubinsky plays slightly more on the PK than Prust does. He also is still a top-6 forward in terms of point production on this team, although based on P/G, Hagelin has overtaken him. Still, it makes him a 3rd liner, whereas Prust is a 4th liner.

You say that Prust only has 11 less points than Dubinsky. I say Dubinsky almost has twice as many points as Prust.

Now, none of this is to excuse Dubinsky from his lack of production or claim that he's earning his money. He's not. It's just to say that, on the ice, Dubinsky is still more valuable than Prust.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
  #149
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I would do Dubinsky and Sauer for Nash if he were cheaper.
id do it even at his current salary.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-17-2012, 08:01 PM
  #150
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Dubinsky plays slightly more on the PK than Prust does. He also is still a top-6 forward in terms of point production on this team, although based on P/G, Hagelin has overtaken him. Still, it makes him a 3rd liner, whereas Prust is a 4th liner.

You say that Prust only has 11 less points than Dubinsky. I say Dubinsky almost has twice as many points as Prust.

Now, none of this is to excuse Dubinsky from his lack of production or claim that he's earning his money. He's not. It's just to say that, on the ice, Dubinsky is still more valuable than Prust.
dubinsky, at his cap hit, vs prust at his cap hit, and the fact that prust defends his team on a night in and night out basis by fighting anyone to protect his guys, to me makes prust more valuable.

overall, i think prust probably brings more winning aspects to his game right now than Dubi does. dubi has looked lost out there...a lot.

Inferno is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.