HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers are interested in Nash (McKenzie: Rangers/Kings Strongest Suitors) PART II

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Brooks' article today drove it home even further for me. Nash's cap hit is the fifth highest in the league. At a cap hit of $7.8 million, I would expect Stamkos-esque type production, and that's not the case with Nash.

Trading for a contract like that seems like the antithesis of the Rangers' philosophy in recent years. The Rangers are -this- close to shedding their overpaid contracts and to take on another could be a step in the wrong direction if Nash's production doesn't increase as a Ranger. I will honestly be very surprised if the Rangers end up with Nash.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Jeff Carter or bust if you are dealing with CBJ

Old
02-17-2012, 07:18 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
I can't wait till this nonsense is over. Let him go anywhere but here with his salary up to the roof.
Completely agreed.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Touchy situation don't really want to mess with the chemistry of this team...

Old
02-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The only way I would want Nash is if we give away nothing that I really like, and that's almost impossible. The only logical player going back I wouldn't mind losing is Anisimov. I don't want to trade Dubinsky or especially Del Zotto. I'm no expert on prospects but I know that up until recently a Ranger prospect had a shorter shelf life than a mayonnaise sandwich in Death Valley.

Nash is too much of a question mark. Is he only a good player on a bad team? He wouldn't be the first. I said in his first big year that he scored 40 goals and if you laid them end to end you couldn't ice the puck. And Carter is poison even without that insane contract.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

MDZ is so much more valuable to this club its not even funny. Dubi, right now, is probably less important to this club than Brandon Prust. its pretty sad how far the kid has fallen.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I'm not in the camp of wanting Nash at all, but this kind of statement is misleading.

People don't want to trade Dubinsky because they want to get rid of him. They want to trade him because of the mindset of "you've got to give to get."

Here's the thing though. In what we think should be a normal season, Nash is going to be putting up about 15-20 more points than Dubinsky. Is it really worth paying Nash nearly twice the salary and giving up other assets for an extra 15-20 points?

I love Rick Nash. In the words of my dad, who I agree with, he's an enormous hockey player. The benefit of having him just doesn't justify the cost of acquiring him.
I'm on the fence regarding trades but one has to keep an open mind and how would everyone feel if we won 2 cups because Nash led the playoffs in scoring for the Rangers for the next two playoff years ! We have a legit shot at two cups with a 40 goal scorer added to the roster . How many Cups do you guys think Kreider will win for us ? This could be a career year for a lot of Ranger guys...that happens ! Ottawa had some great teams back just a few years ago and won NOTHING . Give that some thought ! I would love to keep everybody...but I don't think we can win it this year with the current team as it is unless the PP takes off like there is no tomorrow !

Old
02-17-2012, 07:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
I'm on the fence regarding trades but one has to keep an open mind and how would everyone feel if we won 2 cups because Nash led the playoffs in scoring for the Rangers for the next two playoff years ! We have a legit shot at two cups with a 40 goal scorer added to the roster . How many Cups do you guys think Kreider will win for us ? This could be a career year for a lot of Ranger guys...that happens ! Ottawa had some great teams back just a few years ago and won NOTHING . Give that some thought ! I would love to keep everybody...but I don't think we can win it this year with the current team as it is unless the PP takes off like there is no tomorrow !
It's not how many cups Kreider will win for us...but rather how many cups will a team (with him on it) win. Going all in for Nash speeds up the period where we will have the greatest chance of winning championships. Passing on Nash (likely) extends that period.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Of course I would be extremely happy if the Rangers won 2 Cups with Nash on the roster.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's not how many cups Kreider will win for us...but rather how many cups will a team (with him on it) win. Going all in for Nash speeds up the period where we will have the greatest chance of winning championships. Passing on Nash (likely) extends that period.
I really believe this is why an aging Sather is interested in acquiring Nash. And Im not saying he will deal Kreider because i dont think he will. But knowing his salary will hamstring us in a couple years, sather might be going all in for the next two years by acquiring Nash

Old
02-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Dubi, right now, is probably less important to this club than Brandon Prust. its pretty sad how far the kid has fallen.
I think that's crazy. Dubinsky is a good player having a bad year and he's been hurt lately. I think Prust is one step above worthless this year.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:46 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I think that's crazy. Dubinsky is a good player having a bad year and he's been hurt lately. I think Prust is one step above worthless this year.

Prust bleeds for it ever single night!

Old
02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I really believe this is why an aging Sather is interested in acquiring Nash. And Im not saying he will deal Kreider because i dont think he will. But knowing his salary will hamstring us in a couple years, sather might be going all in for the next two years by acquiring Nash
Who knows what will happen? But this team is already on the verge of being there now and is poised to be a contender for the next several years at least. Sather is only 68, so it's not like he couldn't remain the GM for the run the team is about to go on. Personally I don't see him doing anything that will leave the Rangers (that he has been building the right way for several years now) in a bad way. I do believe if the cost for Nash is perceived as too high they'll pass and keep looking for the next option. Maybe it's Parise, maybe not. Maybe Dubinsky or a Dman are moved next year for a forward that is all the sudden "available" a la Heatley. My point is they don't have to go "all in" next week when there is plenty of time left on the clock.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The road to the Cup will certainly be much easier this season if we don't have to face either Pronger or Crosby . Crosby will be back next season and so will the Penguins...and they will be a darn hard team to beat...much easier to beat this year . Also...Boston will have done a reload and have recovered from the Cup hangover...they will be a better team next season ...Philly will also be a better team next season . We will not be the only team getting better next season and that's only if we can get another career year out of Hank . You get a chance to go for it...you go for it !

Richards and Gabby are also one year older next season...why wait ??? Kreider might have very little impact next season on this club . So...if we miss out on Parise we are left without the big gun and that could be 2 years gone by...do you think Gabby and Hank and Richards will get better with age ??? This might be Hank's best shot at it...a career year !

Old
02-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post

BINGO...you nailed it ! I also don't think he will give Kreider up in doing so !

Old
02-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Prust fights, Prust PK's and he has only 11 fewer points playing with mostly the 4th line than Dubi does, while making about 1/4th the amount of cash.

Dubi needs to pick up his play significantly. He's turned into a perimeter passer. doesnt go to the net at all.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I would do Dubinsky and Sauer for Nash if he were cheaper.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
The road to the Cup will certainly be much easier this season if we don't have to face either Pronger or Crosby . Crosby will be back next season and so will the Penguins...and they will be a darn hard team to beat...much easier to beat this year . Also...Boston will have done a reload and have recovered from the Cup hangover...they will be a better team next season ...Philly will also be a better team next season . We will not be the only team getting better next season and that's only if we can get another career year out of Hank . You get a chance to go for it...you go for it !

Richards and Gabby are also one year older next season...why wait ??? Kreider might have very little impact next season on this club . So...if we miss out on Parise we are left without the big gun and that could be 2 years gone by...do you think Gabby and Hank and Richards will get better with age ??? This might be Hank's best shot at it...a career year !
I agree with almost all you are saying. This could be the perfect storm of a season with the key injuries to our competitors and what not. But I'm not willing to just throw caution to the wind and go all out for this one playoff run. We've been building this team the right way. Let's keep doing what we've been doing...they've looked pretty good recently.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:55 PM
RangerBlues

This whole Nash thing. Bad idea.
He has never played a meaningful minute in his career and your going to trade 1-2 guys off the lineup and plug him in.
It would be a huge adjustment to the team and the player.

Off season, go for it.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
He has never played a meaningful minute in his career and your going to trade 1-2 guys off the lineup and plug him in.

Off season, go for it.
That's just ridiculous.

Olympics, WC MVP, and 3 points in 4 playoff games.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankenstein View Post
That's just ridiculous.

Olympics, WC MVP, and 3 points in 4 playoff games.
Large sample size, eh?

3 points in 4 games is hardly impressive for a player of Nash's supposed caliber, anyway.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post

Off season, go for it.
There is no right time to go for it.

8 years 7.8 mill per is a nightmare of a contract. There are no guarantees he comes here and fits in with this group. Couple that with the assets it will take and how we will be cap strung with 3 forward with 7mill cap hits, two being long term.

Stay the course and if the offense ***** the bed in the playoffs, explore a trade for Ryan.

Old
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Prust fights, Prust PK's and he has only 11 fewer points playing with mostly the 4th line than Dubi does, while making about 1/4th the amount of cash.

Dubi needs to pick up his play significantly. He's turned into a perimeter passer. doesnt go to the net at all.
Dubinsky plays slightly more on the PK than Prust does. He also is still a top-6 forward in terms of point production on this team, although based on P/G, Hagelin has overtaken him. Still, it makes him a 3rd liner, whereas Prust is a 4th liner.

You say that Prust only has 11 less points than Dubinsky. I say Dubinsky almost has twice as many points as Prust.

Now, none of this is to excuse Dubinsky from his lack of production or claim that he's earning his money. He's not. It's just to say that, on the ice, Dubinsky is still more valuable than Prust.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I would do Dubinsky and Sauer for Nash if he were cheaper.
id do it even at his current salary.

Old
02-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Dubinsky plays slightly more on the PK than Prust does. He also is still a top-6 forward in terms of point production on this team, although based on P/G, Hagelin has overtaken him. Still, it makes him a 3rd liner, whereas Prust is a 4th liner.

You say that Prust only has 11 less points than Dubinsky. I say Dubinsky almost has twice as many points as Prust.

Now, none of this is to excuse Dubinsky from his lack of production or claim that he's earning his money. He's not. It's just to say that, on the ice, Dubinsky is still more valuable than Prust.
dubinsky, at his cap hit, vs prust at his cap hit, and the fact that prust defends his team on a night in and night out basis by fighting anyone to protect his guys, to me makes prust more valuable.

overall, i think prust probably brings more winning aspects to his game right now than Dubi does. dubi has looked lost out there...a lot.

Closed Thread