HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill & conditional 5th (2013) to Nashville for Geoffrion, Slaney & 2nd (2012)

Old
02-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Just want to point out that a big body doesn't really mean ANYTHING if he doesn't use it effectively. Gill never really hit, he obviously never fought, he didn't play an agitator or grinder role either. All his size really did for us was help him take uo half the ice when he lay on it during the penalty kill.

Don't get me wrong, Gill was probably the main reason we are number 1 in the league on the PK, but his big body really doesn't mean anything if he never used it.
if Gill really loves Montreal ,he can come back in offseason...

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Whoa, is this real life? I... I... I'm actually semi-giddy over this trade. No diminishing the hard work of a great guy like Gill, but getting a second rounder AND a flyer on some Boom-Boom pedigree?!! Our 5th and Slaney are afterthoughts for now, afaic, but it'll be intriguing to see if PG may have found another ("poor man's") Michael Ryder in Robert Slaney. I know, I know, obvious Newfoundland connection is obvious. But we're also talking about two wingers with decent size who both excelled in the QMJHL, then bounced between the AHL & ECHL for a bit, then ended up in Montreal just as they should be ready to prove if they'll ever have a real NHL shot or not.

Very interesting. I shall give PG a very high mark for this one, from where I sit right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
You know what the funny part of that would be? From the little I've seen about the conditions of the deal, I think that would save us the 5th rounder ON TOP of getting him back and retaining the prospects, lol.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:40 PM
StellerEller

vCash: 351
What picks do we own going into the draft? Getting another second for some more of our spare parts (spare parts to us anyway) would help us restock the cupboard a bit where we need it.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
eklund the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
The 2nd and Geoffrion I like. Slaney looks like another "Busto" to me.

Good return for Gill.
Geoffrion is a bust also.We got a late second and if the bust #2 plays 40 games we have to give them a 5th .Not such a great deal me thinks.

eklund the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
No thanks

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Habit11

Happy for Hal as he gets another shot at a cup. Pleased that PG was able to get a depth forward + a 2nd rd pick.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklund the clown View Post
Geoffrion is a bust also.We got a late second and if the bust #2 plays 40 games we have to give them a 5th .Not such a great deal me thinks.
We give that 5th only if Geof makes the team for half the season. And if he does that, he won't be a bust anymore - not saying he was worth a 2nd, but at least he will be useful for us.

We weren't getting a blue-chip out of Gill.

The 2nd is of course the sweet part.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:16 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Hmmm is it possible to make two trades with Nashville. Like Kosty for Tootoo and
a 2nd ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:24 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

A slight robbery! 2nd and Geoffrion is solid. He'll be an NHLer for sure. Now it's whether he'll be top 6 or bottom.

Good one, Gauthier! Now don't screw up the Moen trade

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Can HF please fire whoever is in charge of running the boards/servers? They've been promising us changes for YEARS but yet here we are, the forum is crashing left and right after a Hal Gill trade.
The boards have been extremely bad just during games too. Quotes stop working randomly, threads stop showing new replies for long periods of times.

How much traffic could a Gill trade have possibly provided? Like holy ****... I can't imagine on trade deadline day... The boards will have exploded.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Pierre Le Brun just said on the radio that Nashville didn't really want to throw in Geoffrion, that they really like him, but they had to do it. And I agree, Geoffrion is no throw-in. I watched every game of Nashville in the playoffs, and Geoffrion really brought it in the limited time he played.

To put into perspective, Trotz had the choice of Geoffrion, Wilson or Dumont on most nights, and he chose Geoffrion more often than not. From what I saw, he made it practically impossible for Trotz to take him out of the lineup because of the energy he brought on the 4th line. That's saying a lot, I think.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Lions999

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
While I like the trade, boy do we have a set of weak dmen now who can't help clear the net for Price..

Time to add some size back on D ..
Well Gill had size but he didn't move anyone if front of net. He slowed down a lot this year and was pylon most nights. Yes he did good for in the PO 2 years ago but he stunk this year. We are very lucky we got what we got for him

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Andros777

Anyone else love that he calls his grandfather "Papi"? I just wanna buy this kid an ice cream cone.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Roke

Pretty nice trade and acquiring Geoffrion is nice if only for the sentimentality. I doubt he ever becomes an offensive player in the NHL though, the shot-generation just isn't there in the NHL or AHL in his career (Under 2.0 shots/game in the AHL this year, around 1 shot/game in his NHL career).

If Geoffrion can develop his defensive game and be a nice, cheap, 3rd/4th-line type that would be nice. The 2nd-round pick is the key part of the deal for me here.

Roke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Hmmm is it possible to make two trades with Nashville. Like Kosty for Tootoo and
a 2nd ?
**** that.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfan2k11

Geoffrien has been overrated by this board for some time. Don't get it twisted, the 2nd is the best part of this deal. Geoffrien to me is nothing special.

Decent trade, but "awesome"? No.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

02/17/12
Never Forget

The Day Hal Gill Broke HFBoars.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
HomaridII

Again not sure if posted .. but if you go over to the Preds board their GM said on the radio was he overpayed for Gill, but that they were few options available that covered their needs.

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
DumFries

Wow, Geoffrion, Slaney and a second for Hal Gill!

A lot of ppl are saying, Geoffrion is a bust.

This one reminds me of the Rivet trade. They all said Gorges will never make it to the NHL, yet he is now a reliable Dman.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Potato View Post
3rd or 4th rounder, I can't imagine Gill worth a 2nd round. Or maybe rights to Radulov lol
That would have cost Kostitsyn+Gill... but perhaps Nashville would have added Geoffrion or the 2nd.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsSlappy

So who gets the nickname? Boom Emelin or boom boom geoffrion?

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Pierre Le Brun just said on the radio that Nashville didn't really want to throw in Geoffrion, that they really like him, but they had to do it. And I agree, Geoffrion is no throw-in. I watched every game of Nashville in the playoffs, and Geoffrion really brought it in the limited time he played.

To put into perspective, Trotz had the choice of Geoffrion, Wilson or Dumont on most nights, and he chose Geoffrion more often than not. From what I saw, he made it practically impossible for Trotz to take him out of the lineup because of the energy he brought on the 4th line. That's saying a lot, I think.
Is it a litte pay back for Sergei Kostitsyn trade and the fiasco (Boyd & Ellis) that occured ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Geoffrien has been overrated by this board for some time. Don't get it twisted, the 2nd is the best part of this deal. Geoffrien to me is nothing special.

Decent trade, but "awesome"? No.
Agreed. Goat wanted to make some friends by getting a guy called Geoffrion.

It's like sand in the eyes of the faithfull. And they will eat this up.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post

Thats great to hear, thanks for that tidbit!

Now I like this trade even more.

It might as well have been a 5th rounder because this kid will play over 40 games for us next year for sure it sounds like.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Scotianhab

I really like this trade. I was hoping for just a 2nd for Gill and to get Geoffrion in the deal as well makes me like it that much more. With 2 players coming over in the deal I think that puts us at the 50 contract limit...not 100% sure though. To me that means if PG tades anyone else it will probably be for just picks or prospects in junior.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote