HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill & conditional 5th (2013) to Nashville for Geoffrion, Slaney & 2nd (2012)

Old
02-17-2012, 08:37 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
well, the good news is, if he develop slowly we keep our 5th... if he does better than expected it turns out to be Gill + 5th rounder for 2nd + 3rd liner...

looks good to me.
don't get me wrong! when i woke up and saw the return we got for gill i had to slap myself silly because i thought i was still dreaming. that's a huge return but let's not kid ourselves, he's 24, he's not 'lighting it' in any sense of the word, if he's physical (and i don't know if he is), he may yet have a use but i doubt he'll ever crack our roster in a meaningful way.

who knows, maybe im wrong and he'll end up on our top 6. but either way, im not gonna complain about that return

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Erik Estrada

I love this trade.

What this tells us is it's a seller's market... SELL!!!

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:48 PM
JaymzB

So, if he makes it to the big club, does he ware #6? Seems to be a fitting #, between his grandad and great grandad.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Erik Estrada

Sign Moen or AKost to a nice deal or they need to pack their bags right now... I didn't think we could fetch that much with Gill... FIRE SALE! Fill the coffers!!!

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:07 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
So, if he makes it to the big club, does he ware #6? Seems to be a fitting #, between his grandad and great grandad.
or #6 like Toe BLAKE...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Habs13

I am far from a Gauthier fan, but when the man pulls off a move like this, I must take off my hat to him. Highway robbery!! To get a 2nd for Hal Gill is beyond great, but to bring a Geoffrion (whom I wanted us to draft!!) is impressive. Plus this Slaney lad, who has great size and grit but is probably an AHLer at best (all good!) ....yeah, well done Pierre Gauthier! Very good work pulling this deal off.

I like what Geoffrion brings to the Habs. A 3rd liner that IS what a 3rd liner should be ; a big body that bangs and crashes and will drop the gloves. Finally!! The Habs are going out and getting GRIT and sandpaper that the team has lacked for a generation. Boom Boom would be proud!

I thought Gill was a useful playing during his time here but is unfortunatly soft for a man with such size. At 36 years old, his best years are past him but all the best to him and the Nashville Predators.

I am one happy Habs fan, during a tough season to stomach. I hope we keep Moen and Kostitsyn (unless Gauthier can pull off a Gill-esque trade) and continue building team toughness.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Amazing trade.

With the last 2 trades (Bourque & Geoffrion), I don't think anyone is going to remember PG's bad moves if there was any. ( I already can't remember )

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kjell Dahlin

I won't mention it in the "appreciation thread" but my GAWD! In 2011-12 Gill was freakin awful on even strength: when he was on the ice – even strength - either we got stuck in our end or we lost the puck while trying to break out in the neutral zone.

His departure will reinforce (more responsibilities to Emelin and Diaz) our D squad imo so I do not see it as an absolute "seller" move.

This is a GREAT trade; thank you Gauthier.

PS Gauthier >>> Gainey

Kjell Dahlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
What bias do I have against Geoffrion? Lets hear it. He had some promise coming up but hasn't produced at the NHL and even at the AHL level.
You have been hating on Gauthier for ages, he could have traded for Malkin and you would be in here saying "You know guys Malkin is so over-rated on these boards"

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:28 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
I won't mention it in the "appreciation thread" but my GAWD! In 2011-12 Gill was freakin awful on even strength: when he was on the ice – even strength - either we got stuck in our end or we lost the puck while trying to break out in the neutral zone.

His departure will reinforce (more responsibilities to Emelin and Diaz) our D squad imo so I do not see it as an absolute "seller" move.

This is a GREAT trade; thank you Gauthier.

PS Gauthier >>> Gainey
Gauthier is wiping Gainey's mess.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:32 PM
habitue*

Blake Geoffrion
Left Wing
Born Feb 3 1988 -- Plantation, FL
Height 6.02 -- Weight 195 -- Shoots L

Selected by Nashville Predators round 2 #56 overall 2006 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004-05 USNTDP Under-18 Team NAHL 37 7 15 22 62
2005-06 USNTDP Under-18 Team NAHL 13 6 9 15 30 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 36 2 4 6 62
2007-08 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 36 10 20 30 52
2008-09 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 35 15 13 28 73
2009-10 U. of Wisconsin WCHA 40 28 22 50 56 -- -- -- -- --
2009-10 Milwaukee Admirals AHL -- -- -- -- -- 3 2 0 2 0
2010-11 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 45 11 26 37 38 1 0 2 2 2
2010-11 Nashville Predators NHL 20 6 2 8 7 12 0 2 2 4
2011-12 Nashville Predators* NHL 22 0 3 3 17
2011-12 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 20 2 7 9 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NHL Totals 42 6 5 11 24 12 0 2 2 4
* No longer on active roster. Current statistics as of 2012-02-17

he had excellent stats in College + a very good half season last year in the AHL.

Give him more time in the AHL and he will be fine.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Habbadasher

Another solid move by Gauthier.

Where are the haters now!

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Top Corner2

Can he fight? (serious question btw)

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I like what Geoffrion brings to the Habs. A 3rd liner that IS what a 3rd liner should be ; a big body that bangs and crashes and will drop the gloves.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/14011

yeah, he can fight. i can't judge his fighting skills but he seems to fight other marginal middle-weights. nothing wrong with that.

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Amazing trade.

With the last 2 trades (Bourque & Geoffrion), I don't think anyone is going to remember PG's bad moves if there was any. ( I already can't remember )
seriously ? 2nd rounder is a nice return but I'd argue that the value was set by the market out there and not the genius of the GM.

Geoffrion sounds enticing cause some here knew and liked him since his draft year plus the bloodlines, but far from a stellar prospect at this point ; so let us curb the enthusiasm a litlle...

And I don't get the love for the Bourque acquisition. Very long deal for a guy who's showed very little since his arrival. Don't see him as having a real positive impact now, and certainly not for 4¼ more years.

So no. PG is out at season's end. But I like the Gill trade anyway.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:46 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
You have been hating on Gauthier for ages, he could have traded for Malkin and you would be in here saying "You know guys Malkin is so over-rated on these boards"
Why do people say silly crap like this? I mean, we're talking about a guy who's struggling in the AHL and then you have the audacity to make that Malkin comparison? As if anyone would call him overrated. Such a silly thing to say.

I think Gauthier is a weak GM. This is a decent trade. A lot underrate just how valuable Gill is. He is a PK demon, which is so huge in the playoffs. Look at what Dallas got yesterday...it's a great market for defensive dmen right now. Gauthier didn't fleece anyone here so cool it. Anyways, Geoffrion could be useful, but I doubt it. If his name was Marek Tyutin, we'd have a lot of long faces here.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Nah, he'll likely wear 57 or 75, for both his grandad AND his great-grandad

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why do people say silly crap like this? I mean, we're talking about a guy who's struggling in the AHL and then you have the audacity to make that Malkin comparison? Give me a break.

I think Gauthier is a weak GM. This is a decent trade. A lot underrate just how valuable Gill is. He is a PK demon, which is so huge in the playoffs. Look at what Dallas got yesterday. Anyways, Geoffrion could be useful, but I doubt it. If his name was Marek Tyutin, we'd have a lot of long faces here.
Gauthier is a weak GM but Gill is some kind of superstar. That is rich, the mans talent is lying on the ice and getting in the way. Ask him to skate or do anything and you are asking for trouble. Gill is a 7th dman on a decent team, hell he probably shouldn't even be in the NHL.

I didn't compare Malkin to Geoffrion, you need to try and keep up here. It is pretty simple, PG made another good smart move and maximized value for an asset but you just can't see past the fact that it was Gauthier so out comes the excuses and the attempt to minimize his actions. I can't believe someone is pumping Gills tires, you must truly hate PG.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Habskrieg

It's an ok trade. I'm no PG hater, but this is ok, pretty even for both camps. Nashville gets a totally reliable D-minded defenseman, also, Gill is the defenseman with most playoff experience in the last 4 years. So he's has pretty much the experience all teams want. Slaney is supposedly never making the NHL, tops AHL and that's not even a certainty. Geoffrion is said to be a 3rd/4th liner, tops. Has some grit and size, has decent faceoff%, his first season has been better than his second (current). The 2nd rounder is ok, picks are rather random whe figuring out if they become NHLers. All in all, Gill was gone at the end of the season, even though we have troubles with our D. So the fact that we got something was nice, instead of letting him leave in the summer.

It's an even trade. IMO, Nashville has the better of it, by a small margin since they really need more experience on their D instead of relying on their "top 3" as they have in previous years. Though I get the impression we'll be seeing more trades as we desperately need a better D. Our only true vets are Kaberle and Markov, who we haven't seen in over a year. Otherwise we'll probably have a worse season in 2012-13 than this one.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:57 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Gauthier is a weak GM but Gill is some kind of superstar. That is rich, the mans talent is lying on the ice and getting in the way. Ask him to skate or do anything and you are asking for trouble. Gill is a 7th dman on a decent team, hell he probably shouldn't even be in the NHL.

I didn't compare Malkin to Geoffrion, you need to try and keep up here. It is pretty simple, PG made another good smart move and maximized value for an asset but you just can't see past the fact that it was Gauthier so out comes the excuses and the attempt to minimize his actions. I can't believe someone is pumping Gills tires, you must truly hate PG.

I give him 10 and he'll call you a fanboy or something

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Didn't we retire Tom Kostopoulos's # 6?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

in my book , this trade realy deserves no extra praise at all.
They made up for the Sergei K deal, that is how I'm, seeing it ...
They evened it out finally ...

Gill for a second
Sk74 for Boom Jr
Slaney for the 5th

so it ends with

SK and Gill cond 5th

for
Boom Jr
2nd rounder
Slaney

which is fine for me ...

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 10:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
in my book , this trade realy deserves no extra priase at all.

The made up for the Sergei K deal, that is how i'm, seeing it ...

Gill for a second
Sk74 for Boom Jr
Slaney for the 5th
That's what I was pointing out earlier in this thread.

Poile had to give more to compensate the fleecing we got two years ago with Boyd and UFA Ellis.

Old
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Would you guys take Gill back as a FA in the summer? I imagine he would consider returning to Mtl if offered a contract. Would be a good 7th dman and we could probably move him for a third next year at the trade deadline

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Didn't we retire Tom Kostopoulos's # 6?
No. for Spaycheck...