HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hal Gill & conditional 5th (2013) to Nashville for Geoffrion, Slaney & 2nd (2012)

Old
02-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Remember the Hamrlik vs Gill debates? (and everyone knows I've been a huge Gill supporter)

Guess this trade value put that debate to rest.
What was Hamrlik traded for again?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:43 AM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Not necessarily. The only reason why I believe we got all this is because of limited rentals on the market. We might have been able to get something else, better, well I can't say as I don't know what that 2nd and Geoffrion will really bring us in the long run. So far, nothing really indicates us that they'll be NHLers. Maybe a more accomplished, or should I say proven, prospect as a return instead? I'm content with what we got. Seeing that we would have gotten nothing had we not traded Gill. And I prefer having a gamble on prospects rather than nothing at all. These gambles have a potential to represent something for the Habs but as it is now, they don't factor in anything. It's a no risk possible high reward situation at this point, with apparently little chance of success. I'll take it for sure. Only time will tell of what they become for us.

My hole point is, we didn't fleece them like soo many here seem to think. Because we didn't get to fill in a gap, yet. While the Preds have filled one, with a player that has plenty of good assets for the playoffs.

I am curious to see more of Geoffrion and hope he becomes a good player for us. I believe we haven't seen the only trades we're going to do as we badly need D for next season.
We are talking about Hal Gill right? The guy who enter "dangerous territory" when he gets 5ft away from his own teams net?

Gimme a break the guy has a single dimension to his game, he is the defensive version of MAB while making over twice as much.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:52 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Right..

But to make it fair, lets say he wasn't overpaid, and a UFA... could the caps get a 2nd, Geoffrion, Slaney?

Clearly no.

Gill > Hamrlik

Ahh... miss those debates.... I just had to get it out of my system.

I rarely get sad to see players move-on, but Gill was definitely up there in my all time favorites list.

Last edited by coolasprICE: 02-18-2012 at 01:58 AM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:55 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
We are talking about Hal Gill right? The guy who enter "dangerous territory" when he gets 5ft away from his own teams net?

Gimme a break the guy has a single dimension to his game, he is the defensive version of MAB while making over twice as much.
This bashing of Gill has no grounds.

Gill struggled at the early part of the season, but who cares? He's a playoff beast.

His supposed inability to make a pass is exaggerated, his inability to shoot, is exaggerated, his speed... well that's true..... but he has ''elite reach'', great positional play, gets in front of anything, and has a huge stick ... so he makes up for all his weaknesses

I'd have loved to see Gill go back to Pittsburgh, or with a team with a bit more fire power, but I'll cheer for the Preds in the playoffs nevertheless, and I'll stand by my claim that the team that picks-up Gill will make it to the finals

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Right..

But to make it fair, lets say he wasn't overpaid, and a UFA... could the caps get a 2nd, Geoffrion, Slaney?

Clearly no.

Gill > Hamrlik

Ahh... miss those debates.... I just had to get it out of my system.

I rarely get sad to see players move-on, but Gill was definitely up there in my all time favorites list.
"Clearly" no? If they were looking to get rid of him right now? Maybe, since Gill went for so much. But they probably aren't, so it's moot. If I wrote a trade proposal on the board yesterday: Gill for a 2nd + prospects, I think the vast majority of people would have laughed me off the board. As such, I think it's reasonable to assume/conclude (well, we don't have to assume... Nash. on record saying they didn't want to include Geoffrion) that Nashville overpaid. And there's little doubt in my mind that how well the S.Kost deal has turned out for them (and the fact that neither player we got from them ended up good enough to keep around) played a part somehow.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 02-18-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:12 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

Gill struggled at the early part of the season, but who cares? He's a playoff beast.

His supposed inability to make a pass is exaggerated, his inability to shoot, is exaggerated, his speed... well that's true..... but he has ''elite reach'', great positional play, gets in front of anything, and has a huge stick ... so he makes up for all his weaknesses

I'd have loved to see Gill go back to Pittsburgh, or with a team with a bit more fire power, but I'll cheer for the Preds in the playoffs nevertheless, and I'll stand by my claim that the team that picks-up Gill will make it to the finals
His passing and shooting is downright terrible, if he stands still he can accomplish something with his reach but outside of a 7ft radius of the crease he is a pylon. I don't think adding gill to Suter and Weber is going to lift the offensivly stifled Predators to the finals.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:30 AM
PATCHESx67

so the habs go from never having 2nd round picks to having 2 this year and 2 next year + still missing Moen/Campoli and maybe Akost ??

go get that third one PG

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Nothing, cause he's ****ing terrible.

That and we were going to make the playoffs.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:01 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

no, he's tall that's it.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Toshio
#FireTherrien

When i heard about the gill trade yesterday, i checked hfboards right away but the site was down. It worked couple of hours later and read some people's comments saying the site was down because a trade happened involving the habs..lol. You guys think this is true/possible? If it is, wow we really do have the most fans in the league! Lol just glad it wasnt just me.

Toshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:55 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagielski41 View Post
When i heard about the gill trade yesterday, i checked hfboards right away but the site was down. It worked couple of hours later and read some people's comments saying the site was down because a trade happened involving the habs..lol. You guys think this is true/possible? If it is, wow we really do have the most fans in the league! Lol just glad it wasnt just me.
Yes. Watch for deadline day, if there's a habs traded + other trades... it's going to be down for sure.

Old
02-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Geoffrion will be a perfect fit on our 3rd line.

Wonder if he wears #5 or #7
He could!! #57 (Garth Murray's old number!)
OR
#75!! (Gill's old number!! 75 would be perfect for Blake, imo!!)

P.S.: what a GREAT trade!! Here's to PG!!. Geoffrion could end up being a solid 3rd liner with UPside (at worst a solid 4th liner?) and that 2nd Round Pick could end up being a very good player. Great trade, PG!! Everyone (incl. me) predicted a 3rd but hoped for a 2nd Rnd Pick, well...look what we got!!). And, InKonsistentsyn has got to go (unless he signs for DIRT CHEAP)...trading A.Kosts is not an easy task for PG since not many GMs are lining up for his expensive service and not many will give a lot imo (hope I'm wrong). A.Kosts imo is worth no more than 2.5mil to 2.75mil/year (3mil,max, not even,imo). We have many more important players to pay up sooner than later...Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller...make room ($$$$$) for them instead of InKonsistentsyn. Big body/hard hitter/heavy shot(rarely used) but way too expensive for 25-30-40pts/season. Keep Moen over A.Kosts.
Moen is a solid warrior and on any line (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th line...he's a warrior). So many teams are lining up for him but his health is a question mark right now (blessing in disguise). Sign him right after the trade deadline (or can you?).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-18-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:57 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
P.S.: what a GREAT trade!! Here's to PG!!. Geoffrion could end up being a solid 3rd liner with UPside (at worst a solid 4th liner?) and that 2nd Round Pick could end up being a very good player. Great trade, PG!! Everyone (incl. me) predicted a 3rd but hoped for a 2nd Rnd Pick, well...look what we got!!). And, InKonsistentsyn has got to go (unless he signs for DIRT CHEAP)...trading A.Kosts is not an easy task for PG since not many GMs are lining up for his expensive service and not many will give a lot imo (hope I'm wrong). A.Kosts imo is worth no more than 2.5mil to 2.75mil/year (3mil,max, not even,imo). We have many more important players to pay up sooner than later...Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller[...make room ($$$$$) for them instead of InKonsistentsyn. Big body/hard hitter/heavy shot(rarely used) but way too expensive for 25-30-40pts/season. Keep Moen over A.Kosts.
Moen is a solid warrior and on any line (1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th line...he's a warrior). So many teams are lining up for him but his health is a question mark right now (blessing in disguise). Sign him right after the trade deadline (or can you?).
care to list the UFA 20 goal scorer making under 3Mil please ? ? ?

please, care to tell me how many GMs exactly are interested in AK
services ? ?

the ONLY time he had under 40 pts is the season he played 59 games... so please, tell us where you got this idea he's a 25/30 pts player. ? ? ?

It would be appreciated if you could list the exact number of teams interested in Moen services, thanks.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:05 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Preds fan here, we got what we needed. Looks like you all are thrilled too from the first 8 pages I went through. Just remember one thing please, don't put the weight of the world on Blake's shoulders. Nashville is always considered in lacking offense, and he can't make our team. He was projected to be a bottom 6 player/grinder. His hattrick, while certainly special, was one of the craziest (luckiest) I've ever seen. He still needs to develop some, which I'm not too sure is a great thing for a 24 year old.

All of Smashville will be pulling for the hometown kid so I do hope he improves enough to play 40 games next year so we can take your 5th.

Now gives us AK46 for a great deal since you all "won" this one according to many of you.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:52 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
HAHAHAHA.....OMG!! Not even close!!

Kaberle hasn't been all that bad at all. He's doing what he was brought in to do...help creativity on the powerplay. Yes his contract isn't great, but he's not as awful as people think....and that trade certainly wasn't as bad ad Houle trading Roy.

I get a huge kick out of blind Hab fans who have no vision for different roles players play on a team. Kaberle showed up at Canes training camp out of shape and with 2 extra chins after celebrating all summer after winning the cup. He'll show up next season in better shape and be and important player on the Habs blueline.

Oh and John LeClair also had the benefit of playing with Eric Lindros in his prime on a good Flyer team!!! LeClair wouldn't have done as well if he stayed in Montreal with Mark Recchi and Oleg Petrov....lol.
Dude check your stats.... John LeClair had a 50 goal season when Eric Lindros was out with a concussion for almost the entire year. He was THE power forward the Habs haven't had since! Max is developing into LeClair...I hope he can be a 40 goal guy... That would equate to 50 goals in the LeClair era.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:56 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Yeah, cause we lost spacegoat, a UFA who might retire next year, and gained a guy who will be perfect as a no. 6 D who helps the 2nd PP the next 2 years, or can be traded this summer for a 2nd rounder. Good comparison otherwise though.
No GM will take Kaberle's contract even if had 5 minutes left before it expired....not even Milbury if he were still with the Islanders....we are really stuck with this bum for the next two years unless the CBA allows for a team to buyout 2 contract....which would of course be GOMER and KABERLE.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:58 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Preds fan here, we got what we needed. Looks like you all are thrilled too from the first 8 pages I went through. Just remember one thing please, don't put the weight of the world on Blake's shoulders. Nashville is always considered in lacking offense, and he can't make our team. He was projected to be a bottom 6 player/grinder. His hattrick, while certainly special, was one of the craziest (luckiest) I've ever seen. He still needs to develop some, which I'm not too sure is a great thing for a 24 year old.

All of Smashville will be pulling for the hometown kid so I do hope he improves enough to play 40 games next year so we can take your 5th.

Now gives us AK46 for a great deal since you all "won" this one according to many of you.
Sure... Make us an offer ...a decent physical Dman + a decent prospect?

Old
02-18-2012, 07:14 AM
BobbyFischer*

Gauthier you glorious *******!

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:29 AM
AntonCH

Sad to see Gill go but it's part of the game - he served this team well

Great trade for Gauthier
Just keep in mind 1 trade does not a career make and a trade involving a character Dman for a 2nd is not defining moment in the tenure of a GM

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post

Expectations beyond what can be deemed realistic? In Montreal? Neeeeeever .. that is a myth!!

Seriously though .. personally .. I don't expect much more than a grinder energy type player .. but you have to understand here in Montreal he is hockey royalty, literally. He isn't JUST a "hometown" kid .. he is the grand son of a legend and the great grandson of another legend. Here in Montreal, tradition is valued above most other things, the fact that he is in the organization AT ALL is going to be a source of pride for many Habs fans.

His grand father's sweater was retired IMO in large part because the fans kept insisting for it, in the sweater retirement ceremony his great grand father's sweater was lowered half way so it could be raised again together with his grand father's ... I don't remember a sweater lowered ever other than that occasion

Think about it, whenever the kid gets called up, be it this season or next season, he will probably get the dressing room spot either directly facing or directly below his grand father's picture ... how do you think that will make Boomer feel or even make US Habs fans feel?

Yes I am probably getting too emotional .. lol

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I think that the expectations would have been up the roof if we would have drafted him. But now, most people are indeed saying how he'll never be a top 6 player that, at best, you are looking at a bottom 6 type of player. Which, again, is surprising for me 'cause I loved him in his draft year and thought the world of him. Yet, progression and ceiling are what they are.

I know what I'm expected though. A great pick by Timmins. Even if some suggest it his not the strongest year. Which is really laughable at one point, not that long ago it was seen as pretty strong and now....not so much. 2013 is now seen as incredible and pretty sure that closer we'll get, it might just be a fine draft after all.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:44 AM
HomaridII

"If it wasn't for Montreal, the unique situation with his family, the history, all that stuff, I probably wouldn't have traded him," Nashville's GM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388101

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that the expectations would have been up the roof if we would have drafted him. But now, most people are indeed saying how he'll never be a top 6 player that, at best, you are looking at a bottom 6 type of player. Which, again, is surprising for me 'cause I loved him in his draft year and thought the world of him. Yet, progression and ceiling are what they are.

I know what I'm expected though. A great pick by Timmins. Even if some suggest it his not the strongest year. Which is really laughable at one point, not that long ago it was seen as pretty strong and now....not so much. 2013 is now seen as incredible and pretty sure that closer we'll get, it might just be a fine draft after all.
2007 was supposed to be weak and we made out like bandits with the late 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Sad to see Gill go but it's part of the game - he served this team well

Great trade for Gauthier
Just keep in mind 1 trade does not a career make and a trade involving a character Dman for a 2nd is not defining moment in the tenure of a GM
lol PG trolls out to try and make this trade an ok trade at best

Except Kaberle, evry single trade PG as made as been good or great. Some of you need to get real.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
lol PG trolls out to try and make this trade an ok trade at best

Except Kaberle, evry single trade PG as made as been good or great. Some of you need to get real.
The Kaberle trade isn't even bad. You might not like Kaberle, but getting rid of Spacek didn't hurt us a single bit.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote