HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Hemsky for Ellis

Old
02-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Hemsky is healthy, why would you say "a healthy Hemsky?" He's healthy and struggling offensively.

I honestly hope the Oilers keep Hemsky as well, I am hoping he actually re-signs in the next few days and puts an end to all of this. I sincerely do.
H.Sedin last 10GP - 6pts
A.Hemsky last 10GP - 7pts
D.Sedin 5pts

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slatsmsg View Post
Mentioning Ellis with Eberle or Hall is like mention MPS with Suter and Weber
You have to look at the teams situation though. No, Ellis isn't as good as Hall or Eberle, but he is Nashville's #1 prospect, like Eberle and Hall were last year. Teams simply don't trade their #1 prospect. Teams might be willing to trade a #2 or #3 prospect if that prospect is the same position as their #1 guy, which is why Blum might be available, but the liklihood of Nashville trading Ellis is similar to that of the Oilers with Eberle and Hall last year.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Slatsmsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You have to look at the teams situation though. No, Ellis isn't as good as Hall or Eberle, but he is Nashville's #1 prospect, like Eberle and Hall were last year. Teams simply don't trade their #1 prospect. Teams might be willing to trade a #2 or #3 prospect if that prospect is the same position as their #1 guy, which is why Blum might be available, but the liklihood of
Nashville trading Ellis is similar to that of the Oilers with Eberle and Hall last year.
I see your point however the situation is a little different than Edmontons last year.
1. Nashville is in a position to compete for the cup.
2. Hall and Eberle were top line players for the Oilers where Ellis, as good as he is, is well down the depth chart.
3. The preds have an immense amount of defensive prowess and have added Gill.

If the Preds feel they can make a run this year and with Suter and Weber in the final year of thier contracts and the need to add a skill forward as this is thier only position that does not have depth, I believe Ellis could move in a transaction involving Hemsky. That being said, I do believe it is more likely that Blum is the piece more apt to move BUT if the preds feel they are a playmaker away at the last minute of Feb 27 deadline it could happen.

As for my previous post I was only pointing our that the players mentioned were definitely in different realms of ability.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:20 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I see your point however the situation is a little different than Edmontons last year.
1. Nashville is in a position to compete for the cup.
2. Hall and Eberle were top line players for the Oilers where Ellis, as good as he is, is well down the depth chart.
3. The preds have an immense amount of defensive prowess and have added Gill.

If the Preds feel they can make a run this year and with Suter and Weber in the final year of thier contracts and the need to add a skill forward as this is thier only position that does not have depth, I believe Ellis could move in a transaction involving Hemsky. That being said, I do believe it is more likely that Blum is the piece more apt to move BUT if the preds feel they are a playmaker away at the last minute of Feb 27 deadline it could happen.

As for my previous post I was only pointing our that the players mentioned were definitely in different realms of ability.
I am an Oilers fan, you don't need to pump the tires on the kids to me. My point is that guys like Ellis aren't moved for rentals, if at all. A better comparison might be to Schenn last year. He was obviously available for the right price, but the right price wasn't a rental. I think its wishful thinking to expect Ellis to be traded, unless of course Nashville can get in on the Rick Nash sweepsakes, which is highly unlikely. Especially with Suter possibly leaving this summer.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
One Man Wolfpack

If this rumor is true Edmonton takes this and runs. Ellis is all "potential" at the moment, however this kid seems like a winner to me. His ceiling may be Rafalski+. Hemsky is a UFA at seaons end and has not been healthy in years. He's a much more skilled "Tim Connolley" at this point. Ellis is the more valuable piece IMHO.

One Man Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Anybody who thinks that Hemsky, with the season and injuries he's had, is going to yield a high-end prospect the calibre of Ellis just isn't in touch with reality.

It's the pipe dream of a deluded segment of Oilers fans.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
predfan24

Quote:
I am an Oilers fan, you don't need to pump the tires on the kids to me. My point is that guys like Ellis aren't moved for rentals, if at all.
The only rental this year someone like Ellis or Josi would be moved for would be Parise and he's not available. Hemsky simply doesn't have enough value as a pending UFA to bring back a return like that. A guy like Blum who struggled a bit this year but has shown he can be a very good player at the NHL level and who may very well be better than Ellis or Josi in the long run is a more likely candidate. Even then initially I balked at that because I think Blum+ which is what EDM is rumored to be asking for is an overpayment for rental Hemsky but the thing is Hemsky is going to be one of the biggest prizes if not the biggest prize on trade deadline day. It's going to take an overpayment. Even then I wouldn't expect a Top tier prospect like Ellis or Josi from anybody if I was an EDM fan. If EDM got Blum+1st for Hemsky that would be a fleecing and I would happy if I was an Oil fan.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
The only rental this year someone like Ellis or Josi would be moved for would be Parise and he's not available. Hemsky simply doesn't have enough value as a pending UFA to bring back a return like that. A guy like Blum who struggled a bit this year but has shown he can be a very good player at the NHL level and who may very well be better than Ellis or Josi in the long run is a more likely candidate. Even then initially I balked at that because I think Blum+ which is what EDM is rumored to be asking for is an overpayment for rental Hemsky but the thing is Hemsky is going to be one of the biggest prizes if not the biggest prize on trade deadline day. It's going to take an overpayment. Even then I wouldn't expect a Top tier prospect like Ellis or Josi from anybody if I was an EDM fan. If EDM got Blum+1st for Hemsky that would be a fleecing and I would happy if I was an Oil fan.
I think it depends on what the "+" is in the deal. A first along with Blum is probably too much, but a 2nd isn't too much of an overpayment when considering what other deadline deals tend to look like.

Old
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM
JAK

Hemsky has proven that he can put up points, he has so proven that he can stay healthy.

But just not at the same time

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:48 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
not gonna read the whole thread just gonna say Nashville isn't going to move Ellis or Josi until Weber and Suter are locked up long term.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:58 PM
McArthur

with hemsky on the block and the cupboard overfilled with prospects and draft picks i have to believe that tambo would have the deal done if he really wanted ellis. note, a common trend on the defensmen in the pipeline is that they average about 6'3"! marincin and gernat are 6'5". with the next draft full of defensmen we are either going to need to make more room, make a few trades, or pick grigorenko. contrary to public opinion, defense is not a huge issue in edmonton. Do i want ellis, sure, but only because he used to play with hall, and a rushing defensman along side a puck moving defensman would look pretty good with hall and eberle, add a little defense minded center into the mix like that RNH kid, you might have a line that can even play on the road.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:18 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
with hemsky on the block and the cupboard overfilled with prospects and draft picks i have to believe that tambo would have the deal done if he really wanted ellis. note, a common trend on the defensmen in the pipeline is that they average about 6'3"! marincin and gernat are 6'5". with the next draft full of defensmen we are either going to need to make more room, make a few trades, or pick grigorenko. contrary to public opinion, defense is not a huge issue in edmonton. Do i want ellis, sure, but only because he used to play with hall, and a rushing defensman along side a puck moving defensman would look pretty good with hall and eberle, add a little defense minded center into the mix like that RNH kid, you might have a line that can even play on the road.
Defense is a huge issue in Edmonton. Defense prospects are not. We have a ton of good prospects in Marincin, Gernat, Klefbom, Musil, Teubert, Blaine and Fedun. The only one of those who might be NHL ready next year though is Teubert. Ellis is NHL ready, and if there is one thing the Oilers need it is a young puck moving defenseman. I wouldn't be opposed to having a better powerplay shooter than Corey Potter too, and Ellis is one. If you think the Oilers can't use Ellis or wouldn't want Ellis, you are sadly mistaken. But he isn't going to be trade bait for a free agent.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
zeus3007*

The Team 1260 in Edmonton just reported that Nashville and LA have been talking to Edmonton today. No report on what about, but Hemsky from Edmonton is the safest bet I would think.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Slatsmsg

Would be happy to see Voynov, Blum or Ellis

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Would be happy to see Voynov, Blum or Ellis

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
There is no way Hal Gill gets you a 2nd and Geoffrion..No way. He is worth no more then a 7th at best

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
How about Ellis to the Oilers for Hemsky + conditional pick (if Hemsky re-signs, it's a 6th, if he doesn't, Preds get the Oilers 1st).

I always enjoy your over the top trolling, HOG

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 03:38 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

In 21 games Ryan Ellis has 3 goals playing very limited time.

In 44 games Hemsky has 4 goals.

Now tell me why we would do this trade again? To add offense? Jordin tootoo is putting up better numbers then Hemsky...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Now tell me why we would do this trade again? To add offense? Jordin tootoo is putting up better numbers then Hemsky...
Playmaker bro.

Plus the first 20 or so games, where Hemsky was shaking off the rust and adjusting to things. Check the last ten games. Nobody will disagree that Hemsky's season had a horrible first half. But he is producing now. That's what matters.

Old
02-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Playmaker bro.

Plus the first 20 or so games, where Hemsky was shaking off the rust and adjusting to things. Check the last ten games. Nobody will disagree that Hemsky's season had a horrible first half. But he is producing now. That's what matters.
We have plenty of playmakers, we need someone to shoot the puck.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Playmaker bro.

To give Hemmer credit this is the first season in 3 years where hes actuall playing hockey, not playing 20 games and getting injured, Im of the opinion that last year Hemsky could have played through what he had but because of the rebuild he didnt want to. You watch him on the ice and its either hes ridiculously talented or he looks like a fool

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Not here to pump up Hemsky's tires, but since when were goals the only consideration for "numbers" in hockey?

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:26 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Good luck finding one on the trade market.

Old
02-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Hemsky actually has a great shot, You just never see it

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:38 PM
trevorbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Not here to pump up Hemsky's tires, but since when were goals the only consideration for "numbers" in hockey?
Well you can look at total points if you want, since they both have 24 points. Ales Hemsky should have more points than Jordin Tootoo.

trevorbird is offline   Reply With Quote