Notices

Armchair GM Thread - 2012 Deadline

Old
02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Maybe something like Stajan + Howse for Antropov + 4th-round pick.
Value wise, nothing changed from that deal to the original.

Random thought, but maybe a guy like Kotalik would be nice to have now.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I would love to get a guy like Raymond or Purcell at the deadline. Maybe we could send TB Ramo to complete the deal.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
^^ That would be awfully pricy^^

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
mjw22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
This team was never elite we have always been middle of the pack or slightly better and I still want to hear what your plan is for the team and not just get picks and prospects. Show me who to where and for what.
Players to move now when value is highest summer for sure or keep repeating same 8th place scenario only with these guys a year older and value dropping
1. iggy 2. Kipper 3 Jokinen 4 Hannan these next two well get what you can for Bouwmeester and get out from under that mistake & Stajan brutal sucks give him away buy him out bury him in minors

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw22 View Post
Players to move now when value is highest summer for sure or keep repeating same 8th place scenario only with these guys a year older and value dropping
1. iggy 2. Kipper 3 Jokinen 4 Hannan these next two well get what you can for Bouwmeester and get out from under that mistake & Stajan brutal sucks give him away buy him out bury him in minors
To who for what, who plays the rest of this year, who becomes the captain?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
^^ That would be awfully pricy^^
I don't think Raymond would cost too much to get. And with Connolly and Ashton in likely getting much larger roles on Tampa next year, I'm sure Purcell could be had. But I agree, the price wouldn't be super cheap.

Anyways, that would be my wishlist, a lad can dream lol.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:24 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
I swear you go into every thread for the purpose of saying the flames team is currently awful and that they should blow it up. For one boumeester is not a "mistake", his contract isn't the best but he play is solid and he eats up the minutes. Second, the flames will not trade iginla or kiprusoff unless it is absolutely worse case scenario. Third, the flames team when heathly will not just be another fringe playoff team, the team is Solid and with feaster maybe adjusting a bit will put up a fight. Fourth, stop ranting and raving about a rebuild and why the flames future is gonna suck because for one it is misinformed and no one wants to here it, oh and if you haven't heard feaster isn't gonna rebuild so stop beating a dead horse

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
brewski1810

trades

i think both these swaps would work well for us, help is in the interm till we get some of our better players back,

both were posted already and seem to make sense:

sarich-frolik

stajan+-antropov

we desperatly need another guy to play RW frolik can do that, we are depth all down the LW

antropov is a big body, maybe he can regain some offense playing with cammy,

brewski1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:27 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1810 View Post
i think both these swaps would work well for us, help is in the interm till we get some of our better players back,

both were posted already and seem to make sense:

sarich-frolik

stajan+-antropov

we desperatly need another guy to play RW frolik can do that, we are depth all down the LW

antropov is a big body, maybe he can regain some offense playing with cammy,
I would take one or the other, but not both. By the end of the regular season, we should have Moss, Stempniak, Backlund, Glencross and Jones back from injury, so we don't need two additional depth forwards long-term.

I would take the Antropov one first because it would be nice to wipe our hands clean of Stajan's contract sooner than later.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I don't think Raymond would cost too much to get. And with Connolly and Ashton in likely getting much larger roles on Tampa next year, I'm sure Purcell could be had. But I agree, the price wouldn't be super cheap.

Anyways, that would be my wishlist, a lad can dream lol.
I can see Purcell a possibility because Tampa are sellers, and they need goaltending so you nailed it with a Ramo package I think.

As far as Canucks, they're buyers, so I don't know why they're looking to downgrade unless it was for cap space for a bigger move. But I could see a package surrounding Raymond for trade to land Nash, Hemsky, Carter, etc. Yes they need to be tougher in the playoffs, and we could provide that, but they also need scoring depth, which Raymond is perfect for.

Old
02-20-2012, 05:48 PM
mjw22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I swear you go into every thread for the purpose of saying the flames team is currently awful and that they should blow it up. For one boumeester is not a "mistake", his contract isn't the best but he play is solid and he eats up the minutes. Second, the flames will not trade iginla or kiprusoff unless it is absolutely worse case scenario. Third, the flames team when heathly will not just be another fringe playoff team, the team is Solid and with feaster maybe adjusting a bit will put up a fight. Fourth, stop ranting and raving about a rebuild and why the flames future is gonna suck because for one it is misinformed and no one wants to here it, oh and if you haven't heard feaster isn't gonna rebuild so stop beating a dead horse
My oh my have you all been drinking the Ken King kool aid . the guys coming off the injured list won't get us out of round one IF we get in. To RETOOL as some on here like to call it you need cap room and for a future you need picks & prospects that will make it to your top 6 forwards & top 4 d you cant do it all with UFA's. Of the current prospects only Baertschi and Brodie may fill those spots. Baertschi is 2 years away same with Reinhart . Wahl Howse Nemisz may only be 7 -10 spot players. So unless you move some vets that are 34-35 for some prospects that can play now or next year where do you get the talent to replace them in 2-3 years when they can't produce and have no market value. OH right the famous UFA's lol Philly may need a goalie so if they offered Schenn & picks for Kipper we should turn it down . Or Boston offers a package for Iggy we shouldn't ask him to move. I don't give a crap about getting 8th and going out in round one and doing the same next year with Stars a year older been there done that. But hey you enjoy the race for 8th fever.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
My oh my have you all been drinking the Ken King kool aid . the guys coming off the injured list won't get us out of round one IF we get in. To RETOOL as some on here like to call it you need cap room and for a future you need picks & prospects that will make it to your top 6 forwards & top 4 d you cant do it all with UFA's. Of the current prospects only Baertschi and Brodie may fill those spots. Baertschi is 2 years away same with Reinhart . Wahl Howse Nemisz may only be 7 -10 spot players. So unless you move some vets that are 34-35 for some prospects that can play now or next year where do you get the talent to replace them in 2-3 years when they can't produce and have no market value. OH right the famous UFA's lol Philly may need a goalie so if they offered Schenn & picks for Kipper we should turn it down . Or Boston offers a package for Iggy we shouldn't ask him to move. I don't give a crap about getting 8th and going out in round one and doing the same next year with Stars a year older been there done that. But hey you enjoy the race for 8th fever.
mijw22 I was the first to negatively respond to you so for that I apologize but you have made this board alot less fun to post on. Lots of people have different view points and I think we generally are accepting of others thoughts, but you go out of your way to belittle others views. You come in here and tell us how bad this team is and that we need to blow it up. If this is your view none of us would have a problem with it. But when you tell people they have been drinking the kool aid and that they are the reason "the flames suck" they are obviously going to become hostel and abrasive to you. If you want to talk about what you think needs to be done than by all means join in but enough of the name calling and the starting threads to take shots at other posters.

Your first thread called Iggy the Sundin of Calgary and you were surprised we were pissed? He is the heart of the team and does enormous amounts of work for the community on top of being the greatest flame ever. From now on please try to respect others in sharing your view point so that we may want to hear it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:52 PM
MarkGio

@mjw22: you've mentioned Ken King several times now, so I'm curious as to what it is you think King does? I mean his responsibilities and daily duties?

I only ask because it's not King's job to decide what product is being iced. It's not his job to determine contract lengths, salaries, and clauses. As far as I'm concerned, King has done his job. He brought the Heritage classic, a sweet T.V contact, he fired a GM that wasn't managing properly once it was noticable. He implemented the prospects tournament, he's addressed a lack of front office staff (could be better), he's done a good job with ensuring the Heat has the right tools for success, the Flames Foundation, and recently created the Flames Forever program. The list goes on how the Flames have strived to be a successful organization from a business and operational stand point.

Last edited by MarkGio: 02-20-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old
02-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
The team has cap space for next year, which I've pointed out to you on two occasions. Of course, since it doesn't fit in with your argument, you've ignored this point. Let me spell it out for you one last time - if the cap stays at $64.3M (which it won't, as early projections have it increasing by almost $5M), the team will have $17M in cap space and that's with 16 players signed. The Flames, as such, can easily sign at least one top FA like Suter or Parise, who are only 27 years old. If the cap goes up to $69M, then the team could possibly land two elite FAs or sign one and acquire some good secondary pieces on the right side of 30, such as Tuomo Ruutu, Dan Paille, Grabovski, Hudler, and many others.

It's a good thing the team has a lot of cap space next year and beyond because, as you rightfully pointed out, the team doesn't have a lot of bluechip prospects. Baertschi might be able to contribute next year, but I agree with you that he's at least another year away. Same with Reinhart and Granlund. At least the team has a few skilled players in the system unlike in past years.

If the team can land one or two skilled, top-6 forwards in FA to go along with Iginla, Tanguay, Cammalleri, Jokinen (if he re-signs), Bouwmeester, Giordano plus youngsters Backlund, Brodie, and Byron, then the team will have bought time for Baertschi, Reinhart, Granlund, and the draft picks from this year to develop.

The future isn't as grim as you make it to be. Sure, the team has to manage its cap smartly and draft well, but things are looking up.

As for this year, it's too early to say whether this team is just an 8th-place team or lower or will make any noise in the playoffs, should they qualify. The Flames can still finish as the #6 seed, which if they achieve it means they will be on a roll going into the playoffs. And with 15 out of 23 games at home and a lineup that should be getting some healthy bodies back in a week or two, who knows what the Flames could do.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:07 AM
MarkGio

With Moss, Glencross, and Smith coming back soon, all of a sudden the activity at the deadline will be much more interesting. With Smith back, there's an extra body on our defense. Not to mention that Babchuck is already scratched every night.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Xelstyle

Curious, seeing as a lot of our guys are starting to come back, do they have to play an NHL game before Feaster is able to move them (if a deal comes along) or could a player be relatively healthy enough to be traded but not necessarily 100%?

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:15 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Curious, seeing as a lot of our guys are starting to come back, do they have to play an NHL game before Feaster is able to move them (if a deal comes along) or could a player be relatively healthy enough to be traded but not necessarily 100%?
Players can be traded while injured. I believe as long as there is full disclosure with the injury, the other team can also request a physical I believe. Dont know the specifics, but I know they can and have been traded.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:20 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Players can be traded while injured. I believe as long as there is full disclosure with the injury, the other team can also request a physical I believe. Dont know the specifics, but I know they can and have been traded.
Yeah, didn't that actually happen with the Langkow trade? I'm pretty sure it did..

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:56 AM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRSRPUNKS View Post
Yeah, didn't that actually happen with the Langkow trade? I'm pretty sure it did..
Langkow was healthy, but Phoenix wanted to make sure so they got a physical. If I remember right, a trade was canceled because a player they were trying to trade was injured

AimForTopCheddar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
Langkow was healthy, but Phoenix wanted to make sure so they got a physical. If I remember right, a trade was canceled because a player they were trying to trade was injured
But they can be traded.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
MarkGio

When Smith gets back, I can see Sarich traded. I would like to see Babchuck traded too. Not because I don't like them, but there's no point in paying them to sit in the press box when they can go elsewhere, and do what they love for a team that will utilize their services.

Old
02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
jtommyt

Exactly. Especially when it could bring another asset over. Even a 5th round pick might turn out to be a kid like Ferland.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Northern Neighbour

I don't see Sarich being traded. He's the one physical defenceman on the team and the only right-handed shot in the top-6. And with the Flames making a playoff push, I think the Flames keep him around. When Smith returns, it might be interesting to see if another defenceman - could be Hannan, Butler, and maybe even Giordano - is dealt.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
When Smith gets back, I can see Sarich traded. I would like to see Babchuck traded too. Not because I don't like them, but there's no point in paying them to sit in the press box when they can go elsewhere, and do what they love for a team that will utilize their services.
I can't. Sarich was supposedly part of the deal with Chicago but it fell apart at the last minute. One might speculate that he again refused to waive his no-movement clause. I'm okay with that, I think he's a key player for the Flames right now and his value is more to the team than a 2/3 draft pick.

Babchuk, on the other hand has more dust on him than grandma's top shelf. I'll be surprised if he's still around on the 28th.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I can't. Sarich was supposedly part of the deal with Chicago but it fell apart at the last minute. One might speculate that he again refused to waive his no-movement clause. I'm okay with that, I think he's a key player for the Flames right now and his value is more to the team than a 2/3 draft pick.

Babchuk, on the other hand has more dust on him than grandma's top shelf. I'll be surprised if he's still around on the 28th.
He wouldn't waive his NMC for Chicago? Wow. I'll never understand that, especially after he complained to the media about not getting any ice time.