HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dagenais disappointed (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2004, 09:16 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
NHLPA : The saga continues

Today in Lapresse, they report that Pierre Dagenais is for a salary cap. He would also like to see how many young players in his situation are for a salary cap. He thinks that an open vote would open Goodenow eye's.

Old
10-29-2004, 09:47 AM
CH74

It's easy to understand this. The NHLPA is working for the high-end players, those who make 5mil. and up... they're not working for fringe players like Dagenais or journeymen like Steve Webb. Those players are the most likely to suffer if there's no salary cap or no re-engeneering of how the NHL is working financially. One of the most likely consequence if the NHL stays that way is contraction and if that happens, it's not Saku Koivu or Radek Bonk who will lose their jobs. It's players like Dagenais, Kolnik or Commodore.

Old
10-29-2004, 11:31 AM
habster

Dagenais disappointed

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=103065

Another one concerns about not being well represented. I think he's concern that if there's no NHL this year he may not have a job next year so he needs to get paid this year

Old
10-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Darz

Wow....we are getting flooded with Dagenais stories today.

Just another example that the players need to take a stand, and force the two sides to the table.

Old
10-29-2004, 11:39 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Speak loud young Dags, but please don't retract your story in a few days. It is clear that the current system isn't working for some of the "small" guys who aren't making the huge salaries.

Old
10-29-2004, 11:57 AM
StanleyCH25

I think it's pretty obvious that the only players truly being represented by the NHLPA right now are the top earning players. Everyone else is just being left aside in this whole negotiation. It's good to hear these players speak out as in the end, it's their careers being affected the most. Their careers last 2 or 3 seasons if they are lucky so that $500,000 a year is huge for them.

Hopefully more will follow and this will add some pressure on the NHLPA to get an agreement in place. This is a team game and although some superstars may opt not to play under a cap, new stars will arise in their places who will be more than happy to earn a few million dollars per year. In the end, I just hope the agreement is fair for both.. we can be unhappy with the players all we want but I also don't want the owners to start racking in all the money and give none to their employees.

Old
10-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
we can be unhappy with the players all we want but I also don't want the owners to start racking in all the money and give none to their employees.
It was like that a couple decades ago, then the tables have (apparently) turned 180. We've seen both extremes, time to get some balance back.

Old
10-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Zednik

"I'm just a noddle." - Pierre Dagenais

Old
10-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
It was like that a couple decades ago, then the tables have (apparently) turned 180. We've seen both extremes, time to get some balance back.
True, but I think that is where the "cap", if negotiated correctly, can help the players too. As in the NBA and the NFL, what owners can spend on payroll is directly affected by how much the league makes as a whole. The more successful the league/sport is, the more money the owners will make, which will increase the cap and therefore allow the players to be paid more money. Hell, if it is done right and brings more fans to the games and makes the league more sponsorship money and more TV contracts, the players might even be able to make more money then they are under the current system. If the cap reaches, let's say $40M, that's more than the Sabres have, I think ever, spent in one year. But, if they can make money at that amount, then their budget will definitely open up more opportunities for players to make more money.

Old
10-29-2004, 04:15 PM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
"I'm just a noddle." - Pierre Dagenais
Would you mean that the Habs is a soup

Closed Thread