HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Plekanec / Diaz or Weber for Carle and B Schenn

Old
02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Tripod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Trading Schenn now does not make sense.

There isn't much on Montreal that interests me, and the ones that do, you wouldn't want to trade.

I don't think we make good trading partners.
Agreed. Any Schenn deal to MTL will involve PK coming back with both GM's arguing who is worth more and what is a fair + to be added.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:49 PM
RetiredFlyer
Rookie User

Plekanec is on the "back nine" of his career. He also seems to have peaked and is in decline now.

It's looking like 2 consecutive seasons under 60 points for Pleks.

When you consider that along with his cap hit, I see no reason why the Flyers would want to trade Brayden Schenn for him. Plekanec really doesn't do much for the team's chances this year. He is not the missing link.

Total non-starter for the Flyers.

The only pieces that I could see the Flyers being remotely interested in would be non-starters from the Canadians like Pacioretty, Subban, etc.

RetiredFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 11:53 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Schenn + Bryz + pick

for

Price + Pleks

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:07 AM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Why the hell would Flyers do that?

Same boat as you. Schenn isn't available for anything less than an elite defenseman. No point in getting into the Subban versus Schenn debate again. Pass from the Flyers standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Schenn is a great prospect who projects as a 2nd line centre if he pans out

Plekanec is a great NHL 2nd line centre

The Gamble on Schenn reaching his full potential makes the trade unequal and something good would have to be added .

Not that the Flyers need or want to do a deal like that
Giving up assets along with Schenn would just defeat the purpose of the Richards trade. Rather would have just keep Richards in that case. Glad we made the trade actually Simmonds is turning into an absolute beast and ever since Schenn finished off fighting the injury bug he has shown flashes of Richards in his play.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
Schenn + Bryz + pick

for

Price + Gomez + maybe Dany Massé
That would be more realistic.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:43 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

who's philly's current second line center?

value is realistic, although i'd decline from the habs side, but either way i don't see plek being a need for philly.

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 02-18-2012 at 01:49 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:28 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
You wouldn't take Schenn + 2nd or B prospect for Pleks?

If the habs are serious rebuild, a future top 6 of Pax/Eller/Schenn
gives them size and grit the teams longs for. Throw in a top pick or two, and the future is bright.

Pleks is still fairly young by NHL standards, but looking ahead Schenn may be a better fit.

I dont think The habs are in a full rebuild. They will just unload the UFAs for some futures.

Sure Schenn is a nice prospect and he projects to be a good 2nd line center. However, Pleks is already a really good 2nd line center.

A deal like this would have more of a chance to happen next deadline. Once Eller gets better and is ready to take Pleks spot. Then Pleks is expendable.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

No thanks.

Plekanec doesn't fit the team philosophy.

Also Carle>>>>> Weber and Diaz.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:39 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
That's like trading Hopkins for Malkin.

It makes no sense.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
No thanks. No need for Plekanec to leave Montreal or to be added by the Flyers. Unless you're taking back Daniel Briere. Heh.

Edler4Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post

Giving up assets along with Schenn would just defeat the purpose of the Richards trade. Rather would have just keep Richards in that case. Glad we made the trade actually Simmonds is turning into an absolute beast and ever since Schenn finished off fighting the injury bug he has shown flashes of Richards in his play.
that was kind of the point I was making. It makes no sense ATM for philly, and it definately isn't full value for Pleks. So there is no deal to ba had there

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:22 AM
KeepersDome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
who's philly's current second line center?

value is realistic, although i'd decline from the habs side, but either way i don't see plek being a need for philly.
Most of the time it's Danny Briere but he's had a little injury trouble this season.

KeepersDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFlyer View Post
Plekanec is on the "back nine" of his career. He also seems to have peaked and is in decline now.

It's looking like 2 consecutive seasons under 60 points for Pleks.
I think Pleks is better than he has ever been. He has really taken over in the shut-down role, and while I thought some of the Habs fans' murmurings of Selke candidature were premature in previous seasons, I think he's there now. Not as in top-3 finalists, perhaps, but one of the best in the league behind that and getting closer to that status.

If you just read the points totals on Plekanec, I think you're missing out on almost everything about him as a player. He's nowhere near peaked. He took more offensive liberties in previous seasons and had some with more talented wingers too, not the Moens and Darches and mixed bags he has had more often in the last couple seasons, so yeah, he has had better offensive totals. But he has never been a better player.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:29 AM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I dont think The habs are in a full rebuild. They will just unload the UFAs for some futures.

Sure Schenn is a nice prospect and he projects to be a good 2nd line center. However, Pleks is already a really good 2nd line center.

A deal like this would have more of a chance to happen next deadline. Once Eller gets better and is ready to take Pleks spot. Then Pleks is expendable.
And as much MORE sense as it would make for the Habs to do this deal next year as opposed to now, it makes that much LESS sense for the Flyers to do it. And when you start off with a deal that isn't desirable for either side...

NitHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:36 AM
KeepersDome

The problem for Philly is that they are so close to the cap that adding a 5M center who if he projects out this season will have less points in each of the last three seasons, not to mention not doing much in the playoffs. He looks to be settling into a 50's point guy who will struggle to reach 20 goals.

All of that said, Schenn hasn't accomplished anything in the NHL. But of course he hasn't, he is 20 years old in his first NHL season. He has 8 goals in 29 games this year. Before the season he was considered the best prospect in the world. So the term 'good prospect' really undersells him.

Schenn's potential, age, and style of play put his value higher then a 29 year old 50 point guy who will have to work hard to reach 20 goals. Plekanec reminds me a lot of Scott Gomez in his prime (though not as good) and a player that when the going gets tough in the playoffs will turn invisible.

All of that said, giving the top prospect in the world that is only 20 and is just coming into his own in the NHL in this deal would not be a good deal for the Flyers.

KeepersDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepersDome View Post
The problem for Philly is that they are so close to the cap that adding a 5M center who if he projects out this season will have less points in each of the last three seasons, not to mention not doing much in the playoffs. He looks to be settling into a 50's point guy who will struggle to reach 20 goals.

All of that said, Schenn hasn't accomplished anything in the NHL. But of course he hasn't, he is 20 years old in his first NHL season. He has 8 goals in 29 games this year. Before the season he was considered the best prospect in the world. So the term 'good prospect' really undersells him.

Schenn's potential, age, and style of play put his value higher then a 29 year old 50 point guy who will have to work hard to reach 20 goals. Plekanec reminds me a lot of Scott Gomez in his prime (though not as good) and a player that when the going gets tough in the playoffs will turn invisible.

All of that said, giving the top prospect in the world that is only 20 and is just coming into his own in the NHL in this deal would not be a good deal for the Flyers.
Don't get me wrong, the kid is good....but best prospect in the world? Really? That's a little over the top don't you think?

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepersDome View Post
Plekanec reminds me a lot of Scott Gomez in his prime (though not as good) and a player that when the going gets tough in the playoffs will turn invisible.
I'm thinking you don't know who Plekanec is today. Like the others who read the stats sheets alone. Or maybe have some faint memories of him from playoff series 4-5 years ago, perhaps.

But that said, I also don't think the Flyers need him, nor should trade for him. The team has plenty of 2-way assets and are doing things the right way now building with youth. I wouldn't trade for Plekanec as Flyers GM. Well, actually I wouldn't trade for him as the GM of 29 NHL teams. He's a core player for the Habs, but he's not a cap bargain nor a game-breaking player. The overpayment needed to pry him away from a team that needs him and relies on him would make the deal untenable for basically any team in the NHL.

Old
02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm thinking you don't know who Plekanec is today. Like the others who read the stats sheets alone. Or maybe have some faint memories of him from playoff series 4-5 years ago, perhaps.

But that said, I also don't think the Flyers need him, nor should trade for him. The team has plenty of 2-way assets and are doing things the right way now building with youth. I wouldn't trade for Plekanec as Flyers GM. Well, actually I wouldn't trade for him as the GM of 29 NHL teams. He's a core player for the Habs, but he's not a cap bargain nor a game-breaking player. The overpayment needed to pry him away from a team that needs him and relies on him would make the deal untenable for basically any team in the NHL.
Plekanec had 5 points last year in postseason. The year before he had 11...in 19 games. He had ZERO the year before. That 3 year total gives us half a Briere postseason. He's a good defensive forward, but we have a 6'4" 19 year old center who's every bit as good. Schenn has just started getting healthy finally and has 6 goals in his last 10 games. Yip, theres no reason for the Flyers to make that deal.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckistanFlyerfan View Post
Plekanec had 5 points last year in postseason. The year before he had 11...in 19 games. He had ZERO the year before. That 3 year total gives us half a Briere postseason. He's a good defensive forward, but we have a 6'4" 19 year old center who's every bit as good. Schenn has just started getting healthy finally and has 6 goals in his last 10 games. Yip, theres no reason for the Flyers to make that deal.
This post here proves you are completely uninformed about who Plekanec is as a player. The guy who led the playoffs in scoring last year only had one point in the Montreal-Boston series solely because of Plekanec. The entire Lucic-Krejci-Horton line had 6 points combined. That is what Plekanec does in the playoffs, he shuts down other teams top lines. Obviously Philly doesn't need that though, considering how great their goaltending is.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
This post here proves you are completely uninformed about who Plekanec is as a player. The guy who led the playoffs in scoring last year only had one point in the Montreal-Boston series solely because of Plekanec. The entire Lucic-Krejci-Horton line had 6 points combined. That is what Plekanec does in the playoffs, he shuts down other teams top lines. Obviously Philly doesn't need that though, considering how great their goaltending is.
That's one way of looking at it. Another way is to say that Price was standing on his head. It was not about: "O my god, look at Plekanec d-sive play.." It was about: "o my god how the hell did he save that?"
That does not mean Plekanec is not good.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
That's one way of looking at it. Another way is to say that Price was standing on his head. It was not about: "O my god, look at Plekanec d-sive play.." It was about: "o my god how the hell did he save that?"
Ok, you didn't watch that playoff series. Fair enough. I think we already all agree that the trade isn't a good idea for either team, that the Habs won't trade Plekanec, and the Flyers are smart to keep on with their young players. So it's a moot point already that you aren't familiar with Plekanec.

The Habs had high profile series with the Flyers some years back that were quite different than the Habs' recent playoff series, so I can understand why some Flyers fans here seem to be uninformed.

Couturier can't be compared to Plekanec yet, but damn do I kick myself for not taking him over Strome in my FHL, he's going to be a good one for sure. Doh.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ok, you didn't watch that playoff series. Fair enough. I think we already all agree that the trade isn't a good idea for either team, that the Habs won't trade Plekanec, and the Flyers are smart to keep on with their young players. So it's a moot point already that you aren't familiar with Plekanec.
Hmm but I did.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Not that he wasn't good or anything, because he was, but IMO Thomas outplayed him in that series. Timmy was lights out and the #1 reason the B's were able to come out victorious of that hard fought 7-game series. Then you got secondary players like Bergeron, Perverley, Marchand who were clutch, but for some reason, their 1st line players who were – as mentioned by my fellow Habs fans – shutdown throughout the series. Plekanec might not have been the only reason (Gorges, Subban, Gill, and yes, Price), but he definitely was the #1 reason.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Hmm but I did.
Boston fans complained all serie long about how innefective Kreiji was, how Lucic was doing nothing and that was because of Plekanec.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Giroux
Briere
Plekanec
Couturier

The whole point of trading Schenn(if he does get traded, which I see as highly unlikely) would be to get a top pairing defenseman, and free up a center spot for Couturier. This does neither of these.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote