HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you re-sign Penner if....

Old
01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
This must be a dream

vCash: 500
Would you re-sign Penner if....

... he were willing to accept a 1-year 1.5M or so. Would he be a viable asset at that price or would he be taking ice time from a more-deserving kid and we should just part ways? I am truly torn on this. I like Pens and I want it to work but I know that the likelihood of him turning it around is shrinking.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I don't know. The only way I can see him being resigned is if he turns it on and starts racking up points all the way through the playoffs.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
He would have to take an enormous paycut and only if Dean strikes out in free agency or on the trade market. Someone will give him 2-2.5 which is more than I'd be willing to give.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would absolutely re-sign Penner on a deal like that. I would re-sign him on any deal up to $3 million. He isn't a liability defensively, could be a good third liner if things go to hell, but he has been a successful goal scorer for the past 5 seasons before he joined LA. We are using him wrong. If you look at the highlights from all his goals in the past, he scored a vast majority of them right in front of the net. His game is best suited to play the role Ryan Smyth did for us. We are utilizing him incorrectly trying to turn him into a perimeter sniper. He needs to be planted in front of the net.

This all depends on who else is available and if we can competently re-assess our strategy with him of course...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:11 PM
funky

absolutely

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Habstract

Yes..... I like the way he has been playing for the past 3 weeks. Does not get many points but he is involved. Up to the 3Millions a year, I buy.

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It's similar to what was paid to Frolov, Handzus, and Poni (Simmonds will also be paid the same). We've had a lot of bottom 6 complaints since we have let them walk. Penner is a decent player, belongs in the top 6, but if things don't work out, he is an ideal third liner. We just don't like him because he isn't putting up 30 goals and 50 points, and at times looks disinterested, but has put in much better effort recently.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Nope. Want him gone, period.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

only if we strike out on every other option

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:57 PM
sjmay*

Absolutely, in a heartbeat, if he takes a paycut of at least 2 million...

For all the grief he gets, he has been playing well this season.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

If he plays like that every game, yes. Short term of course.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:32 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

If he keeps playing like he has the past couple weeks, I'd gladly take him for $3 million.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
same here............

he and Brown are the biggest Murray victims beside Kopitar, Wilimams, Johnson, Doughty, Voynov, Quick, Cammy, Frolov, Stoll and Clifford

He will pick it up and he will be back to fomer shape if not better.

So i would offer him 3 years for 2.5M each.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

I see a lot of this in this thread:

My bid is $1.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:14 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

I would gladly resign him as long as he shows some kind of consistency between now and the end of the season. The level of consistency showed will determine his value

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:22 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Seriously though, I think Bud Holloway should get a shot and Clifford might be ready for 3rd line duty instead of 4th next season.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I can't believe there are still Penner haters out there...the guy has been really on the last month or so, and he was doing well before his latest injury (no, I am not talking about the pancakes affair, the one before that).

I have been watching him in particular at games (kind of hard to miss him), and he is doing everything right with the exception of scoring more. Last night was one of his best games and the key of course is to try to get him to plant himself more in front of the net. But he is deceptively fast in getting to the net from the right wing; he has beaten several opponents there lately, he just hasn't converted.

When he does, look out. With the emergence of Williams (finally), and Kopitar (no way he is going to be in a long-term slump), if Penner and others get going, the rest of the league is gonna be in big trouble.

Just imagine: Quick and goal and the Kings consistently scoring 3 or more goals a game....................................

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Nope. Want him gone, period.
Agreed. He isn't producing on the ice and he's a distraction off of it. The Kings are preaching accountability, if that is the case Penner, Stoll and Hunter should be gone at the deadline. How can any King fan honestly expect Dean Lombardi to reward Dustin Penner with his horrid stretch as an LA King? I don't know what his points per a game are in LA but he has to go down as one of the worst Kings in their history and that's saying something given their history sucks.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I can't believe there are still Penner haters out there...the guy has been really on the last month or so, and he was doing well before his latest injury (no, I am not talking about the pancakes affair, the one before that).

I have been watching him in particular at games (kind of hard to miss him), and he is doing everything right with the exception of scoring more. Last night was one of his best games and the key of course is to try to get him to plant himself more in front of the net. But he is deceptively fast in getting to the net from the right wing; he has beaten several opponents there lately, he just hasn't converted.

When he does, look out. With the emergence of Williams (finally), and Kopitar (no way he is going to be in a long-term slump), if Penner and others get going, the rest of the league is gonna be in big trouble.

Just imagine: Quick and goal and the Kings consistently scoring 3 or more goals a game....................................
I'm arguably the biggest Penner basher out there, and I'd resign him to a maximum of $2 million a season (more if his number grow).

That said, I can understand the hate. The guy has been injured a lot here and he was supposed to be that goalscoring piece we needed to compete. He has six goals in 60 games (counting the playoffs). Hard not to have some hate for that when you get $4.25 million and it cost us a 1st, a 3rd and a good prospect to get him.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:01 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I like how Sutter is utilizing Penner to play to his strengths moreso than Murray did. I'd like to see a few more weeks of Penner playing before I decide on whether or not the Kings should retain him.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I like how Sutter is utilizing Penner to play to his strengths moreso than Murray did. I'd like to see a few more weeks of Penner playing before I decide on whether or not the Kings should retain him.
No doubt he is driving to the net more with the puck which I never saw under Murray. Still, the point production isn't there consistently and you can't have most of your wingers struggling to put up points. Reminds me of the Craig Johnson argument, some fans loved him because he always worked hard but others hated his guts because all of that hard work couldn't disguise his obvious lack of skill. The culture in LA still needs to change and it starts by not bringing back players who didn't produce as they were supposed to. Driving to the net or making a couple of good plays a game shouldn't mean a 2 million dollar deal. And this is all assuming that some other NHL team doesn't offer him better money, which is probably what will happen.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Agreed. He isn't producing on the ice and he's a distraction off of it. The Kings are preaching accountability, if that is the case Penner, Stoll and Hunter should be gone at the deadline. How can any King fan honestly expect Dean Lombardi to reward Dustin Penner with his horrid stretch as an LA King? I don't know what his points per a game are in LA but he has to go down as one of the worst Kings in their history and that's saying something given their history sucks.
I agree. Not sure if the kings have the depth to get rid of all three if they are still a playoff team at the deadline but I'd get rid of stoll at least and try and recoup some of what they paid to get Penner.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

He's on pace for an 18 point season and you want to give him another deal? What kind of message would that send the locker room? You can completely crap out on the Kings and they'll still keep you around? Gary Schuchuk put up better numbers (don't look that up).

Old
01-18-2012, 10:48 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
He's on pace for an 18 point season and you want to give him another deal? What kind of message would that send the locker room? You can completely crap out on the Kings and they'll still keep you around? Gary Schuchuk put up better numbers (don't look that up).
I don't think the point totals play into it actually in terms what the rest of the team would feel. For them, I'd imagine it's more about work ethic.

Penner's numbers are not there this year, but virtually all Kings numbers are down from the past, both in terms of last years and overall career averages.

Penner though is definately working much harder than last year and seems to be getting better under Sutter. He has nine points in his last 20 games. Nothing great I agree, but over a full season that is a 37 point pace, far better than the 18 you suggested. At $1.5 - $2 million, I'd take a 35-40 point Penner in hopes he can continue to rebound and put up even better numbers next year and I doubt you'd find to many players who can put up those kinds of points with his size and skill who are also at least decent defensively at $2 million. Considering the injury issues he's had this year as well, it's likely he will continue to improve on how he looked early in the season assuming he can stay healthy.

I'm also sure the rest of the team would agree.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
he and Brown are the biggest Murray victims beside Kopitar, Wilimams, Johnson, Doughty, Voynov, Quick, Cammy, Frolov, Stoll and Clifford

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote