HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner may have to be included as part of a package for Rick Nash

Old
02-18-2012, 12:44 AM
MrLegend28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Quixote View Post
1) Cox, and most other media clowns, either just make stuff up, or try the shotgun approach....fire everything and see what sticks. Dreger and MacKenzie are just as bad as this bozo.

2) There are probably only 2 truly untouchable guys this year...Kessel and Lupul. Everyone else should be available.

3) You've got to ask yourself, is this team better with Nash and without Gardner (+ other trade candidates), or is it better with Gardner (+ other trade candidates) and without Nash?

If we get in, and we get Boston in the first round, Kaberle Jr...oops, I mean Gardiner, will be of little value. Last I looked he had the 4th most giveaways on the team, behind Kessel, Lupul, and Phaneuf. That ranking would surely rise as the Bruins would have their way with him behind the net, against the boards.

It's his first year. He hasn't proven that he is worth keeping yet, versus the context of being a compulsory component to getting Nash. Sure he has potential, but Nash, arguably, is a proven commodity.

Move Gardiner if you have to.
this might be, without question, the dumbest post ive read in this thread. Based off this solid 1st year expect greatness logic, the Islanders shoulda traded Tavares after his poor rookie season right?

Hmm, I wonder if, what? 21 year old Gardiner, could who knows..improve? before he's 27 (Rick Nash's age).

This is why people like you lol, will never see a GM job, ever.

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
I see it as you fill one hole but make another one on defence. We need to develop some younger core defencemen to grow with this team.
As solid Gardiner and his potentially is very high, I don't see this as creating a big hole on defence when u have a deep blue-line and great D depth in the system and not to mention we already have abundance of solid d-man who can play top 4, Dion, Gunnarsson, Liles, Schenn are a solid enough group for the future and u add Aulie and Holzer to the mix, it balances out.

If people are seriously implying patience then how about Luke Schenn who seems to be getting tossed around in every damn trade proposal every day, he is still very young and has plenty of potential to grow into a top shutdown d-man. for the record,I think very highly of Gardiner but this is one of those cases where u got a put one of your strong core in the play.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:51 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
Gardiner now is the way we used to talk about Schenn a few years back.. Just saying.
schenn was always a low-ceiling player based simply on his skillset and playing style. nobody has ever said he'd be more than an adam foote as best.

sky is the limit for a kid with the skillset of gardiner.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
As solid Gardiner and his potentially is very high, I don't see this as creating a big hole on defence when u have a deep blue-line and great D depth in the system and not to mention we already have abundance of solid d-man who can play top 4, Dion, Gunnarsson, Liles, Schenn are a solid enough group for the future and u add Aulie and Holzer to the mix, it balances out.

If people are seriously implying patience then how about Luke Schenn who seems to be getting tossed around in every damn trade proposal every day, he is still very young and has plenty of potential to grow into a top shutdown d-man.
except we don't have any defencemen aside from perhaps Blacker that does what Gardiner can do.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
except we don't have any defencemen aside from perhaps Blacker that does what Gardiner can do.
and u see that as a problem when we already would have a solid core with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Liles, Schenn, Aulie, Holzer? This is a good enough competing core to make the playoffs,IMO.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 12:56 AM
True Blue Quixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
this might be, without question, the dumbest post ive read in this thread.
In light of the depth of experience you show with regards to "dumb", I do not want to take your crown. But thanks for the offer anyways.

Quote:
Based off this solid 1st year expect greatness logic, the Islanders shoulda traded Tavares after his poor rookie season right?
No, not right. First, you cannot use a one-size-fits-all approach to all players. It just doesn't work. Well, maybe in your NHL 12 it does, but not in the real world. And second, Gardiner was not 1st overall, and 3rd, Gardiner is a defenceman, not a forward.

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if, what? 21 year old Gardiner, could who knows..improve? before he's 27 (Rick Nash's age).
Defenceman take longer to develop. Once again, that's probably something you didn't know. And in my original post I did say that Nash was a proven commodity, whereas Gardiner was just at the "potential" stage. I guess that was your way of saying I was right and that you agreed with me.

Quote:
This is why people like you lol, will never see a GM job, ever.
Oh, versus people like you, who are obviously GM's just slumming it in here before you announce a blockbuster trade. Yeah, right. Thanks for the comic relief.

True Blue Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Aplayaz2000

why trade a good prospect
makes no sense to me... considering burke wants to develop these young players

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Sittler 27

Gardiner stays here..... don't need Nash that bad. Personally Cox is nuts

Sittler 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:05 AM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Don't want Nash then.

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Quixote View Post
This is about Gardiner, and not Boston. Using Boston as an example of a possible 1st round matchup was meant to convey Gardiner's inevitable lack of effectiveness against what has been proven to be a successful, physical team. Too bad you missed that obvious intent.

Or maybe you think that a pretty pass or 2, and waiving a stick as Lucic barrels over him on his way to scoring, is a fine example of Gardiner's effectiveness in the playoffs.

A bigger forward may be more effective than a Kaberle lite. But, that we won't know until, or unless, it happens, so there's no point arguing hypotheticals, because, well, heck, you probably think this is about Boston.

Everybody including your self is using boston as an example, that if we don't trade guys like Gardiner for nash we are going to get run over by a team like boston..

You're out to lunch, If you were our GM.. you'd add another 10 trades to this list..

http://urbaneblog.wordpress.com/2008...y-part-3-of-3/

go to bed.

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Do we really ****ing want Nash that bad? Ugh, I'm getting so annoyed with these ****ing Nash proposals I just want deadline day to pass so we can stop with this ****ing nonsense

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:06 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
Gardiner now is the way we used to talk about Schenn a few years back.. Just saying.
But will fans want Gardiner traded next season?

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Do we really ****ing want Nash that bad? Ugh, I'm getting so annoyed with these ****ing Nash proposals I just want deadline day to pass so we can stop with this ****ing nonsense
thank you.. another person who doesn't see the hype over a big forward with a huge asking price, and 0 playoff experience.. like I've said before we would be better off with jeff carter.. at least we know what he's capable of in a full season and it won't cost the whole farm.

Old
02-18-2012, 01:08 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
I want Carter. I think he makes more sense for us right now and wouldn't cost as much. Obviously has a long contract, but a much better cap hit than Nash. I think $5,272,727 a year for Carter is great value.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
When he starts off slow like every sophomore.. Yup..

I can see the thread title's now around november.. "we shoulda traded gardiner while we had the chance" "gardiner has to go" ..etc

Old
02-18-2012, 01:09 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Who knows? What one player brings to the ice one season does not necessarily translate to the next. This is especially true with younger and unproven players.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:10 AM
haayward

I'd be pretty choked about a Gardiner - Nash trade tbh.

haayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:23 AM
TossTheRagu

At this point Gardiner is almost untouchable

TossTheRagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:23 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I want Carter. I think he makes more sense for us right now and wouldn't cost as much. Obviously has a long contract, but a much better cap hit than Nash. I think $5,272,727 a year for Carter is great value.
I'd be okay with a low offer for Carter, but not overpaying for Nash. **** that ****, why break the bank for a winger when we already have decent wing depth anyway? The biggest need on this team is a legitimate #1 2-way centre, Grabovski is not that, Colborne is still developing and god knows how long it will take him, and Kadri won't be playing C for the near future at least. Bozak is okay but playing over his head and Connolly is a lazy ass *****.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:27 AM
Dill Pickle

******* Nash. /homerism. but yeah, I want to see what gardiner can turn into

Dill Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:35 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Don't really want Rick Nash that badly. If a young defenseman goes, I'd rather it be Schenn and not Gardiner, and 2012 first is untouchable.
I'd actually put that in play, or next years, but not both.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:37 AM
leafsforlife
The Dream

vCash: 50
Burke stole gardiner and lupul... no way he trades them those guys are both feathers in his cap

leafsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:38 AM
WBG416

Quote:
Seeing that this is all we
ever talks about. get over it

WBG416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Since I'm always wrong, I'm going to mention an idea:

Burke stands pat.

How do you feel about that?

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 01:49 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Since I'm always wrong, I'm going to mention an idea:

Burke stands pat.

How do you feel about that?
I don;t feel he'll add much if anything personally.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote