HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner may have to be included as part of a package for Rick Nash

Old
02-18-2012, 03:19 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade Gardiner. Don't care if it's Rick Nash this guy is special. Get Nasher another way!

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:37 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

If you wouldn't trade gardiner for nash you would be crazy, in Toronto nash would be a perenial 90+ player in our offensive system, people overrate him? He was on the olympic team, always on team canada and sometimes the captain, he would be our only toronto boy on the team (for some reason this bothers me) idk how u wouldn't do it.

Gardiner/schenn
Komisarek
Mcarthur
Gusty/scrivens
1st

I would do that in a heartbeat

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:45 AM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

If Gardiner has to be included, then forget Nash go after someone else. This kid is something special, I say he's 100% untouchable.

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:33 AM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

I rather get Carter as he'd be at a low asking price, Nash is a elite player, we're gambling on Gardiner who could on 1 side become a great player or on the other where he just doesn't pan out.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:43 AM
KapG

fck that. Keep Gardiner. Kids gonna be a stud. He has all the tools...

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:50 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
where do we fit in all these Ds?

gunnarsson phaneuf
liles franson
gardiner schenn

you would think 2 may have to go, none are meant to stay 3rd pairing
You need 6 to win. 6 capable NHL dmen is hardly a problem. Teams like Boston and Detroit would think this is the necessary depth to win. Take a look at Vancouver's depth on the blueline last year.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:55 AM
birddog*

I wouldn't move him at 21 and 10+ years ahead of him but it would be interesting -- effectively Burke turns Beauchemin into Lupul & Nash...

Old
02-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Man Bear Pig

I feel like one of the few who isn't willing to deal an arm and a leg for a guy making 8 million/per and who's a 65 point player. You can't use the argument that he's had nobody to play with. Fact is stars put up points regardless. At this point he's a star but to call him a superstar is ridiculous. We've been waiting a decade for this guy to become a "superstar". If Columbus deals him for legit youngsters/prospects and picks they should be pretty damn happy considering his insane cap hit which by the way is up there with Crosby,OV,Malkin etc.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Pitlick*

There's no way the Leafs should trade Gardiner. He is very very impressive.

As for Nash, he is a very good player, who is somewhat overrated. At $7.8 mil, he is overpaid by about $1.5-2 mil. I always hear him called a "power forward" because he is big, but he sure isn't mean. Low PIM totals, few big hits, he just isn't a mean guy. If he's a power forward, then so are Hossa and Jagr. Actually, Hossa is way more physical than Nash.

Why not sign a UFA, even if you have to overpay him, in that you won't be giving up Gardiner, and other young assets?

As a Sens fan, I would love it if the Leafs send Gardiner ++ for Nash. Another overpaid player to fill up the salary cap, to go with Connolly, Komisarek, etc. Not saying Nash sucks, he is good, but he's overpaid, though not as much as Tim and Mike are.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:16 AM
DrkSideOfDaMoon*

you damn clowns. We have the potential to land a 27 year old powerforward star, and you monkey nuts dont want to include gardiner? You have to give to get. Jake gardiner looks great out their but its a risk to have to take. lolzz....gardiner + macarthur+ 1st+ connolly or some crap

DrkSideOfDaMoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:18 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Until we get our defence and goaltending situation ironed out, this team is going nowhere in the playoffs, with or without Nash. Why so many people would even consider trading good young prospects, especially a potentially high end PMD like Gardiner, is beyond me.

Hang onto your best young players, get the goaltending situation dealt with, allow our D to gain some experience, be in the top third in the league, then start thinking about trading away future pieces.

Last edited by The Caveman: 02-18-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: grammar
The Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:21 AM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkSideOfDaMoon View Post
you damn clowns. We have the potential to land a 27 year old powerforward star, and you monkey nuts dont want to include gardiner? You have to give to get. Jake gardiner looks great out their but its a risk to have to take. lolzz
You want to gut our prospect/young player pipeline, to pick up a player who is probably one of the most overrated players in the league right now? With one of the worst contracts in the league too?

Makes sense, because clearly Nash is going to make us a cup contender .

"lolzzzzzz"

Old
02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
DrkSideOfDaMoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
You want to gut our prospect/young player pipeline, to pick up a player who is probably one of the most overrated players in the league right now? With one of the worst contracts in the league too?

Makes sense, because clearly Nash is going to make us a cup contender .

"lolzzzzzz"
we are trading from an area of strength. We have liles locked up for another 4 years and hopefully blacker will be ready by then. See how that works? Blacker doesnt have the same ceiling as gardiner but again its a risk and you hope blacker can fill the pmd roll once liles contract expires. "clearly nash is going to make us a contender", its one step in the right direction for being a contender. What single trade will make us a contender anyways? We need need to solve other issues too but like I said we move in the right direction while giving up a promising young asset from an area of strength come on bud lolzz.

DrkSideOfDaMoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:36 AM
ashs

say it aint so :-(

ashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:43 AM
ashs

Gardiner is a silky smooth d man who will be a 50 + points very soon. it is not a given that Nash will score more here. Don't do this.

ashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:49 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

lolno

**** that...move along sir

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:50 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
you damn clowns. We have the potential to land a 27 year old powerforward star, and you monkey nuts dont want to include gardiner? You have to give to get. Jake gardiner looks great out their but its a risk to have to take. lolzz....gardiner + macarthur+ 1st+ connolly or some crap
I would rather keep Gardiner....to me Nash is overrated and overpaid.

He's has one season where he scored over a PPG and that was 3 years ago. Gardiner has the potential to be something special. I wouldn't give up on him

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:52 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17 View Post
Whomever gets Nash is going to have to send some Salary back in order to help them get back to the Salary Floor. If it is Toronto, I could see Connolly involved with some younger players/prospects & picks.
Columbus is nowhere near the cap floor, they are less than $2M from the ceiling.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:55 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
We need need to solve other issues too but like I said we move in the right direction while giving up a promising young asset from an area of strength come on bud lolzz.
It's a question of knowing when to pull a trade like this, and that means looking at the relative age of your team. Lets say Nash costs Gardiner, Colborne, Kule and a 1st. Sure, Blacker might be a PMD that might replace Gardiner, but he is years away from being an impact player, if he ever will be one. By that time, Nash is way past his prime, if he isn't already. Gardiner, even is he has a sophmore slump, will most probably be very good within 2 years.

I see the window as 2 years from now.. Kessel, Phaneuf, Franson, Gunnar, Kule will all be experienced vets. Gardiner, Colborne, Frattin, Kadri maybe Meuller should be good, young, cheap impact players.

I would only trade a young, impact player for another young, impact player who can grow with this team, ie: Luke + for Brayden, or a few pieces for a can't miss goalie. Again, get a solid core, then tweak.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:02 AM
birddog*

Quote:
This star you speak of has 39 points. Grabovski hs the same numbers as him this year. Tyler Bozak is 4 off this pace. Lupul and Kessel are crushing it.

Last year he had 66 points. Last year Kessel, Brabo, Kulemin and McArthur all had similar numbers. None of them are stars.

Fact -- Nash is a very good player -- one that can help the Leafs. But he is no star. He is not Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin Ovechkin, Datsyuk, or even as good as the Sedins, Toews, Kane, Giroux, etc. So the question is what's a big bodied 30 goal scorer that has a cap hit of 7.8 worth?

Dismantling your team and thinking Nash will lead you to the promised land like Crosby is wrong. There's no reason he couldn't be had for a package of players and pick that doesn't include Gardiner.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Since I'm always wrong, I'm going to mention an idea:

Burke stands pat.

How do you feel about that?
Just fine. Once we push some of the dead weight out the door, this team will be very interesting to watch grow if we don't make a bunch of rash moves.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:04 AM
True Blue Quixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post
Everybody including your self is using boston as an example, that if we don't trade guys like Gardiner for nash we are going to get run over by a team like boston..
Do you not think that the most recent cup winner is a good standard to compare against? Would you prefer that I used Florida as an example instead? Maybe Carolina? C'mon, stop it, you keep cracking me up.

Quote:
You're out to lunch, If you were our GM.. you'd add another 10 trades to this list..
Stick to what I said, and not your imagination.

The key question is: Is our team better with Nash and without Gardiner+++, or is it better with Gardiner+++ and not Nash? Nash is a proven commodity. Gardiner is 4 months into an undetermined NHL career.

Of course it's a gamble. And the answer to that question will not be known for quite some time, regardless of the certainty you exhibit of your imaginary GM skills.

Quote:
Those trades are all pre-Burke, so none is applicable.

True Blue Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:09 AM
KapG

Quote:
we are trading from an area of strength. We have liles locked up for another 4 years and hopefully blacker will be ready by then. See how that works? Blacker doesnt have the same ceiling as gardiner but again its a risk and you hope blacker can fill the pmd roll once liles contract expires. "clearly nash is going to make us a contender", its one step in the right direction for being a contender. What single trade will make us a contender anyways? We need need to solve other issues too but like I said we move in the right direction while giving up a promising young asset from an area of strength come on bud lolzz.
What issue does Nash solve though? We already have a good collection of wingers. What this team needs is a number 1 C.

Throwing away promising young assets just to get a "name" player doesn't solve anything.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
FFS, size does not = powerforward. Rick Nash is not a powerforward.

It's also funny that people are willing to give up what is essentially 3 first rounders (Colborne, Gardiner, Schenn) ++ and still ***** about the Kessel trade. Nash is a good player and would make this team better, but were not talking about trading for a Getzlaf, Staal or Malkin here.

Pinto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:16 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
What this team needs is a number 1 C.
Close. What this team needs is a #1 G.