HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
ramstoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
wouldnt give up my 1st in that situation. The two players are already comparable skill wise and Clowe has more experience. id rather try to buy lower for just clutterbuck than try to get seto back.

although

pavs-thornton-marleau
clutterbuck-couture-havlat
seto-moore-mcginn
winchester-zeus-desjardins
looks pretty nasty.

i think it depends on the nash trade, our 1st is our biggest trading piece for a gm like howson since he wants a re-build. if DW doesnt pull that trade off then he maintains the pieces for the above trade. with minnesota effectively out of the playoffs they may already be done with the seto experiment.
I don't pay much nearly as much attention to the NHL draft as others do, but my understanding is our 1st likely won't garner much this upcoming draft, so I wouldn't mind trading it if were getting a player back like Seto that we are all familiar with and would fill a need. Not to mention is signed at a decent contract for a couple more years.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
I don't pay much nearly as much attention to the NHL draft as others do, but my understanding is our 1st likely won't garner much this upcoming draft, so I wouldn't mind trading it if were getting a player back like Seto that we are all familiar with and would fill a need. Not to mention is signed at a decent contract for a couple more years.
Cool. How about this:

Clowe + Mitchell (for NHL contract limit purposes) + forward prospect who DW doesn't believe will pan out + 1st for Clutterbuck + Seto + 6th/7th round draft pick?

Old
02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

CAR and Tuomo Ruutu agree to terms on a four-year extension with an AAV of $4.75M. #TradeCentre #tsn.

It's hilarious because we have Pavelski for only 4mil/season.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
ramstoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Cool. How about this:

Clowe + Mitchell (for NHL contract limit purposes) + forward prospect who DW doesn't believe will pan out + 1st for Clutterbuck + Seto + 6th/7th round draft pick?
done.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
YoungSinatra
Deep Fried Frenz

vCash: 50
Seto for Sheppard guys duh

Old
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Would Minny do it though

Old
02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
sr228

Quote:
Would Minny do it though
Not a chance.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:15 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Not a chance.
Rats. I'd up it to:
Clowe + Demers + forward prospect who DW doesn't believe will pan out + 1st for Clutterbuck + Seto + 6th/7th round draft pick, basically what many of us want to give up for nash, but instead give it up for Clutterbuck and Seto.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

Min has unequivocally stated Clutterbuck is not available, in much the same way DW stated Clowe and Couture aren't. I'm all for silly proposals, but Clutt AND Seto for anything other than a gross overpayment is way off the deep end.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:17 PM
sharks fan 209

How awesome would it be to get seto back? I would love it and hope that he comes back consistant.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Les Wynan*

Some people have really short memories WRT Clowe. He's one year removed from a fantastic season. I know he hasn't been great this year but it's not like he's 35 and liable to have fallen off a cliff. I'd bet on him rebounding.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
Min has unequivocally stated Clutterbuck is not available, in much the same way DW stated Clowe and Couture aren't. I'm all for silly proposals, but Clutt AND Seto for anything other than a gross overpayment is way off the deep end.
Originally I started with a Clowe for Clutterbuck swap, so our unavailable for their unavailable. Seto was just having a little fun.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

Quote:
Originally I started with a Clowe for Clutterbuck swap, so our unavailable for their unavailable. Seto was just having a little fun.
I realize that, and I recognize Seto is having a cluster-fudge of a year, but that trade essentially means Min will have given us Burns and Clutterbuck for Clowe++.

That's pretty ****** value, I don't care what the +'s are.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Rats. I'd up it to:
Clowe + Demers + forward prospect who DW doesn't believe will pan out + 1st for Clutterbuck + Seto + 6th/7th round draft pick, basically what many of us want to give up for nash, but instead give it up for Clutterbuck and Seto.
I wish i watched more wild games. i cant really estimate clutterbucks worth other than hes young and on the same points level as jamie mcginn right now. just based off stats thats probably a fair trade though.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
I realize that, and I recognize Seto is having a cluster-fudge of a year, but that trade essentially means Min will have given us Burns and Clutterbuck for Clowe++.

That's pretty ****** value, I don't care what the +'s are.
But to think, last offseason if we dealt Clowe++ for Burns and Clutterbuck, many here would be seriously ticked off. We are low on Clowe now, but is the league? IMHO, unlikely. I think a lot of teams think Clowe is or could be a semi-elite power forward in this league.

It's too bad DW didn't trade Clowe + Demers + Coyle + 1st for Burns and Clutterbuck (and maybe still a 2nd). Sharks fanbase would have been mad then, but not now having Burns, Clutterbuck and Seto on our team.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old
02-22-2012, 05:23 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Some people have really short memories WRT Clowe. He's one year removed from a fantastic season. I know he hasn't been great this year but it's not like he's 35 and liable to have fallen off a cliff. I'd bet on him rebounding.
I'm sure he will. That's not really the point. He's a UFA in 1 more season, is the worst player of our top-6 (still great though) and Nash is clearly a superior player. If Clowe was signed for another 4 years at his salary, I wouldn't do it though.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:27 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm sure he will. That's not really the point. He's a UFA in 1 more season, is the worst player of our top-6 (still great though) and Nash is clearly a superior player. If Clowe was signed for another 4 years at his salary, I wouldn't do it though.
I think Les was more referring to my idea about Clowe/Clutterbuck swap (and maybe even incl. Seto), rather than Nash.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:43 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
I think he will rebound too, but given the salary cap situation, will he be worth the 4-5 million he will get on the open market after next year?

02-22-2012, 05:55 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I think he will rebound too, but given the salary cap situation, will he be worth the 4-5 million he will get on the open market after next year?
I don't think Clowe will be worth $5mil, don't know that he wouldn't take a home town discount, what I do know is that he's signed to a decent contract now and there's no reason to trade him because he may ask for too much money 1 1/2 years down the road.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
do0glas

has anyone noticed that couture is keeping pace with joe thornton on pts, posting the highest sh% on the team, leads the team in short handed goals, is +7, leads the team in PP goals, is second in GWG, and is besting marleau in both goals and assists? the kid is a beast...no wonder he is nowhere near a trade

Old
02-22-2012, 06:00 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Doesn't his worth also depend on what the salary cap will be two off-seasons from now? He was signed to the 3.625 million when the salary cap was somewhere around 57 million. 4.5-5 million out of high 60s isn't too bad.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:18 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
has anyone noticed that couture is keeping pace with joe thornton on pts, posting the highest sh% on the team, leads the team in short handed goals, is +7, leads the team in PP goals, is second in GWG, and is besting marleau in both goals and assists? the kid is a beast...no wonder he is nowhere near a trade
Qualcomp and being elevated to first unit PP certainly helped his numbers. Put him in JT's spot and his production falls off. Couture is better than a second line center, but is not up to carrying a franchise as a #1 center . . . at least yet and maybe never.

When teams have used their first unit d pairings on him, Couture drops off dramatically.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Couture is still relatively sheltered. Yes, he's talented, but he is nowhere near JT's level, even now.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:29 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Qualcomp and being elevated to first unit PP certainly helped his numbers. Put him in JT's spot and his production falls off. Couture is better than a second line center, but is not up to carrying a franchise as a #1 center . . . at least yet and maybe never.

When teams have used their first unit d pairings on him, Couture drops off dramatically.
didnt mean to imply that he should be the face of the franchise...i mean hes 22, do you expect this is his ceiling? i mean realistically he doesnt have as much experience as any top pair D and they should be expected to stop a 22 year old in most situations, but what about when hes 24-26. would you put him on pavelskis level or close to right NOW? in terms of two way ability, i mean.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I don't think Clowe will be worth $5mil, don't know that he wouldn't take a home town discount, what I do know is that he's signed to a decent contract now and there's no reason to trade him because he may ask for too much money 1 1/2 years down the road.
He didn't exactly sign for a discount when the contract was signed. If I remember right, the team actually put out feelers for him at the draft because his agent was being difficult. Although that last point is unconfirmed and could very well be wrong. I would not at all be surprised if Clowe went to free agency given the last round of negotiations he had. The only time he signed a friendly deal was when he was coming off of a big injury and needed to prove himself.

Closed Thread