HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Trade Rumors and Speculation Thread Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Couture doesn't play like a setup guy, could he ever transition to winger and see an upswing in production?
Played okay the short time he was on Jumbo's wing but no real point increase.

Old
02-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Andy Strickland @andystrickland
At least one star player on the #Sharks has expressed the desire to bring in Sean Avery of all players. Says veterans on team can handle him

Old
02-23-2012, 08:01 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

PollakOnSharks 5:59am via Web Turn on TV and hear latest trade buzz. McSorley on Sportsnet sees #sjsharks as possible landing spot for PHL's Van Riemsdyk. #justguessing

Old
02-23-2012, 08:05 AM
KirbyDots

If we got JVR I would be sooo happy.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:10 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...slam!%20hockey

Garrioch: Sharks looking at Nash *and* Carter.

At some point, the pundits would have traded the entire Sharks roster out.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:14 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:

At some point, the pundits would have traded the entire Sharks roster out.
I posted about this in the Nash thread. Yeah I think they must have ment "or" or maybe "and or", because "and" is nuts!

Old
02-23-2012, 08:33 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

I'm waiting for the Ovechkin rumors to start.

02-23-2012, 08:38 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

FTR, Garrioch also has the Sharks going after Oilers' Hemsky

Old
02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Jedgi

What would it take for the Caps to pry Doherty from you?

Old
02-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
What would it take for the Caps to pry Doherty from you?
Joel Ward. I know he's a bit overpaid and hasn't had the greatest year but he was a Selke-caliber winger in Nashville and could help the Sharks' bottom six IMO.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
LionSpeak
threadkiller

JVR? I wonder what Philly would want for him.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpeak View Post
JVR? I wonder what Philly would want for him.
For the next 6 years, JVR is going to be paid like a player who has already figured out how to be a high-end second liner when he isn't close.

If the Sharks were to add a Flyers forward, I'd want Voracek (well I'd want Giroux but being realistic here).

Old
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
Joel Ward. I know he's a bit overpaid and hasn't had the greatest year but he was a Selke-caliber winger in Nashville and could help the Sharks' bottom six IMO.
Yes he's a very good playoff player...

I think I'd take Doherty though, for a retool. Caps could use a huge physical Dman.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
LionSpeak
threadkiller

Quote:
For the next 6 years, JVR is going to be paid like a player who has already figured out how to be a high-end second liner when he isn't close.

If the Sharks were to add a Flyers forward, I'd want Voracek (well I'd want Giroux but being realistic here).
He's benefited from the players around in Philly without a doubt, but I think he could benefit just as well playing on Couture's wing. Same age, it would be a total DW-like move ("We like to make moves that not only help us now but in the future"). Theoretically, the money for Clowe's new contract could go to the younger JVR right?

If this is true, DW must really like pissing in Deano's cereal.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
hockeyball

Quote:

I think I'd take Doherty though, for a retool. Caps could use a huge physical Dman.
You'll be dissapointed then, Doherty is not physical.

Petrecki is.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Les Wynan*

Quote:

Doherty is huge but he's not exactly physical. At least based on what I've seen from him, he isn't great at moving the puck north either.

IMO the Caps aren't in as bad shape as it seems. They absolutely need to replace Hunter though, he's in way over his head and destroyed the team's chances with his inane system. Then they should add some center depth; Vermette would have been a solid addition. With Carlzner and Green I don't think defense is an area of concern for Washington.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Les Wynan*

Quote:
He's benefited from the players around in Philly without a doubt, but I think he could benefit just as well playing on Couture's wing. Same age, it would be a total DW-like move ("We like to make moves that not only help us now but in the future"). Theoretically, the money for Clowe's new contract could go to the younger JVR right?

If this is true, DW must really like pissing in Deano's cereal.
I don't think JVR is nearly as good as Clowe at this point in time. He could conceivably develop into a better player than Clowe but that's a lot of money and term with which you'd be betting on that to happen. I also don't think JVR's playing style necessarily meshes with Couture's although I think if Havlat stayed healthy and played on a line with them it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
I don't think JVR is nearly as good as Clowe at this point in time. He could conceivably develop into a better player than Clowe but that's a lot of money and term with which you'd be betting on that to happen. I also don't think JVR's playing style necessarily meshes with Couture's although I think if Havlat stayed healthy and played on a line with them it wouldn't be too much of a problem.
I would only want JVR is Clowe is retained, otherwise it's at best lateral (though we would get faster, which is good).

JVR - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Moore - McGinn
Winchester - Handzus - Desjardins

Something like that.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:

Nash or Carter maybe, but not both. Garrioch is insane, maybe even worse than Eklund. Or maybe I am just reading too into this, and it's just saying that Sharks are interested in either player.

DW/SH exchange could go the way the Thornton trade went down. Remember it was supposed to be something on the order of Stuart for Samsonov, and then the Bruins said Thornton was available and DW threw out Stuart, Sturm and Primeau and it was done.

Here it could be Howson asking for Pavelski or Couture as part of the Nash deal. DW says counters with Clowe+, and Howson says "No, let's talk Carter. He put on a nice show against you on Tuesday." DW then says, "okay, Mitchell and/or Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st for Carter" and Howson says?

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-23-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old
02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
LionSpeak
threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I would only want JVR is Clowe is retained, otherwise it's at best lateral (though we would get faster, which is good).

JVR - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Moore - McGinn
Winchester - Handzus - Desjardins

Something like that.
Does that make sense cap-wise? I like the way that line up looks, but I'd bank on Clowe and Couture getting back together at some point.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Jedgi

Oh giant and not physical? Nevermind, probably don't want Jeff Schultz v.2 :/

Thanks for the input though people. I'll be pulling for you guys and Phoenix in the west in the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Does that make sense cap-wise? I like the way that line up looks, but I'd bank on Clowe and Couture getting back together at some point.
This season? yah, no problem. Next year yah it works, it'll just be tight.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I think I could really warm up to the Carter idea. Sure he has a long contract, but there are still suitors given his age and skill. He could easily be acquired, used for this run, then flipped in the offseason. Kind of like my idea I mentioned before if Nash's NMC was totally gone. Well, with Carter the NMC or NTC is not an issue. If Howson is dumb enough to get pillaged on a Carter to SJ deal now rather than wait until the offseason, then we can exploit that and use Carter now and this playoffs, and then make a hockey trade in the offseason and flip Carter away. If Carter joins us and has a good playoffs, his value will only go up. If the Sharks fall in love with Carter, then they could explore keeping him.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I think I could really warm up to the Carter idea. Sure he has a long contract, but there are still suitors given his age and skill. He could easily be acquired, used for this run, then flipped in the offseason. Kind of like my idea I mentioned before if Nash's NMC was totally gone. Well, with Carter the NMC or NTC is not an issue. If Howson is dumb enough to get pillaged on a Carter to SJ deal now rather than wait until the offseason, then we can exploit that and use Carter now and this playoffs, and then make a hockey trade in the offseason and flip Carter away. If Carter joins us and has a good playoffs, his value will only go up. If the Sharks fall in love with Carter, then they could explore keeping him.
First you want to trade for Avery and now you think the Sharks would trade for Carter and then flip him 5 months later?

If the Sharks could get Carter for a 1st and prospect I guess I'd be OK with it (even if I hate his contract) but I don't think he's going to go for that little.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:06 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Is there something in the air in Texas...first you want to trade for Avery and now you think the Sharks would trade for Carter and then flip him 5 months later?
Texas definitely sucks, but come on.

Imagine if DW works his magic and can land Carter now for Mitchell + Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st (hell even two 1sts).

Then we use Carter for season and this playoffs.

Then in the offseason, Carter is flipped to an Eastern team that wants his services bad. In the offseason hockey trades are made, so you can get young talent plus a picks back.

If you can swap Mitchell + Ferriero + Sexsmith + 1st (or even 2 1sts) for a rising star on an ELC and a 1st (or two firsts, both from a team who will pick higher than SJ), and enjoy Carter for the rest of this season and playoffs, that's simply brilliant asset management. And if anyone can pull off this kind of stuff, it's DW.

Closed Thread