HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steven Stamkos: ES vs PP

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Ten88Nineteen

vCash: 500
Steven Stamkos: ES vs PP

Between 09-10 and 10-11, Stamkos scored 77 of his 186 points on power plays - including 41 of 96 goals. He was known as a power play monster, a player who scored so often largely due to his one-timers. And out of the top scorers in the league, he easily had one of the lower percentages of even strength points at ~59%.

However, so far this year 51 of his 66 points have come at even strength (~77%), including 33 of 39 goals (~85%). He currently leads the league in even strength points, and is on pace to finish with 46 ES goals (which would be the most since that crazy 92-93 season).

So how much of this do you think is attributable to the team's PP struggles, and how much to his maturing as a player? From what I've seen he's getting better and better, and my response is simply to marvel at how much he'd be scoring if the PP was working. It's impressive to me that he's found ways to not only stay on pace, but actually increase his goal scoring, despite less success where he had been most comfortable.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1545
As a goal scorer, I don't know where his ceiling is. He doesn't score due to sheer athleticism, but rather being at the right spot and burying his chances. I don't think our crappy PP is in any way helping his ES, if anything it is slowing down his total point totals. He's a stud, plain and simple.

Old
02-18-2012, 04:47 AM
LightningStrikes

That's just a crazy stat. Just imagine what would happen to his goal and point totals if our PP was at least mediocre instead of plain terrible this year.

Old
02-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Put simply, only 6 of Stammer's goals this year have come on the PP. It seems like a low number, given that he hit 17 last season, but he still leads this year's team.

Vinny has 5; TP has 4; Malone has 3; Downie and MSL both have 2; MAB, Gervais, and Connolly all have 1.

Looking at last season:
I think Gagne's PP value is somewhat underestimated by us. Gagne scored 17 goals last season, which is lower than we would have liked, but whatever. 7 of those goals came on the PP.

Moore was getting significant PP time since he managed to score 6.

MSL was obviously the assist man when it came to the PP, notching 37 of them. The second closest was Stammer with 19.

It was inevitable it would break down eventually, as all you'd need to do is take away that passing lane, but Marty to Stammer made magic happen on the PP. Not MAB.

Our PP was a well oiled machine until somebody decided that MAB should be out there every single time. Was he supposed to take the point so Marty could move down to the half boards, (which somewhat justified the loss of Gagne)? I think so. Did that work? Not in the slightest.

So naturally MAB gets re-signed and all the PP time he can handle.

I know this team has some sort of weird attraction to French Canadians, but maybe not every French Canadian automatically deserves a place on this team.

It feels like they didn't want to sign Turco or McCabe because they were sitting by the phone, but had no problems doing so for MAB.

The smartest and most complete players should be on the point during the PP. That is all.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 02-18-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
toob

Well thats the thing. Weve all watched Stamkos regularly and closely this ssn so we know how hes taken his game to another level becoming more well rounded both offensively and even overall and become much more consistent. However go to the main board and you will find ppl who havent just look at the stats being about the same that they have been for the last 2 years and still say things like "product of St Louis" or "one trick pony" or whatever.

Had the PP actually been worth a damn (i realize you can probably lay some portion of the blame on Stamkos too but definitely not all) i also think his stats would be significantly higher and maybe some of the preconceptions would change.

Old
02-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
That's just a crazy stat. Just imagine what would happen to his goal and point totals if our PP was at least mediocre instead of plain terrible this year.
Agreed. Shows you how good he really has become though if he's still in the league leaders even while having dog **** for a PP. If our PP is even like you said mediocre then he's leading Malkin in total points easily.

Old
02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

2nd best forward in the league IMO, 1st is Malkin.

If we had last year's PP he could get to 60-65... hell, I think he might get to 60 this year. 21 goals in 24 games or something like that, he can do it

Old
02-18-2012, 11:56 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I dont think any of us underestimated Gagne, we just took him for what he was - productive, but a huge risk when it comes to health. He has been missed, at least the version that was in the lineup is missed.

Closed Thread