HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comfortable enough in my own skin to say....

Old
02-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Comfortable enough in my own skin to say....

That I have a man crush on Ryan Reaves.

OK so not really but the days of him being a healthy scratch need to be over.

I never come away from a game thinking Reaves didn't give 100% effort. He's not the most skilled guy, but I think he's extremely on the 4th line and could be a third line guy who can also kill penalties.

Anywho, just thought I would share my thoughts and see what others thought of the big guy.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:48 PM
GOBLUES4257

vCash: 500
Love him. It seems like every team hates him.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

I love watching him, and I agree he may not be the biggest star player or whatnot, but he really gives and he seems professional about it. I love that he stands up for his team, and I think he contributes a lot.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:30 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Got his autograph when he and his girlfriend came to my gym last year.

Dude has massive hands. No wonder he's such a good fighter.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:38 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I don't disagree about Reaves looking great on that 4th line, but Porter deserves more than he's getting too (healthy scratch). Crombeen has to play well or he really doesn't deserve to be in the line-up.

Say Steen were ready to come back. Who do you scratch?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

If/when Steen comes back, I sit Crombeen for sure and I'm tempted to sit Nichol in favor of Porter.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Langenbrunner
Steen-Arnott-Stewart
Porter-Sobotka-Reaves

Maybe switch Porter and Nichol.

I'm going to steal something from Bernie that he said earlier this year about the Rams but it applies here.

He called it the Charlie Baker rule, referring to an old Big Red LB. he was ok but as long as he was out there, you knew your team hadn't upgraded.

That's how I view BJ Crombeen. There was a time he was a regular 3rd liner for this team and it showed.

While I'm sure there are some Crombeen fans out there, the fact that he is now the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th best forward instead of 9th speaks to how much deeper/better this team is.

In my personal opinion, Crombeen is the 14th forward.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:33 AM
actionhank1786

I love Ryan Reaves. He always gives 110% and isn't afraid to fight someone who is playing rough with his team. We finally have an enforcer who is a decent offensive threat.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:36 AM
actionhank1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
If/when Steen comes back, I sit Crombeen for sure and I'm tempted to sit Nichol in favor of Porter.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Langenbrunner
Steen-Arnott-Stewart
Porter-Sobotka-Reaves

Maybe switch Porter and Nichol.

I'm going to steal something from Bernie that he said earlier this year about the Rams but it applies here.

He called it the Charlie Baker rule, referring to an old Big Red LB. he was ok but as long as he was out there, you knew your team hadn't upgraded.

That's how I view BJ Crombeen. There was a time he was a regular 3rd liner for this team and it showed.

While I'm sure there are some Crombeen fans out there, the fact that he is now the 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th best forward instead of 9th speaks to how much deeper/better this team is.

In my personal opinion, Crombeen is the 14th forward.
I agree. I think Reaves has easily replaced him. Crombeen used to be the fighter with a decent offensive scoring touch, but Reaves has easily taken that spot. I think Reaves should get the nod over Crombeen unless Crombeen can step his game up.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:45 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't disagree about Reaves looking great on that 4th line, but Porter deserves more than he's getting too (healthy scratch). Crombeen has to play well or he really doesn't deserve to be in the line-up.

Say Steen were ready to come back. Who do you scratch?
I thought Porter was solid to begin the year, and he has had a couple of really good games when the rest of the team was asleep; but he's come back down to earth a bit, if you can say that about a 4th liner. He's made some doofy plays lately. He and Crombeen are about equivalent in my mind except that Porter is a bit more aggressive and a bit more prone to mistakes, while Crombeen can fight. Crombeen also has a much better shot, but it rarely makes an appearance. Even if Crombeen deserves less, I really don't think Porter deserves more than what he has gotten or is getting.

And, absolutely, Crombeen is the guy I'd scratch upon Steen's return. Reaves kills at his role. In reality, Reaves may be more likely to be scratched, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. One of them could heat up or cool down and make the choice easy.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:40 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I thought Porter was solid to begin the year, and he has had a couple of really good games when the rest of the team was asleep; but he's come back down to earth a bit, if you can say that about a 4th liner. He's made some doofy plays lately. He and Crombeen are about equivalent in my mind except that Porter is a bit more aggressive and a bit more prone to mistakes, while Crombeen can fight. Crombeen also has a much better shot, but it rarely makes an appearance. Even if Crombeen deserves less, I really don't think Porter deserves more than what he has gotten or is getting.

And, absolutely, Crombeen is the guy I'd scratch upon Steen's return. Reaves kills at his role. In reality, Reaves may be more likely to be scratched, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. One of them could heat up or cool down and make the choice easy.
This^ If Steen returns soon and no one gets injured, I think Porter is definitely the guy who gets sent down. Besides all that you mentioned...it makes more sense for the simple fact that Porter plays on the left, and Hitch has no reason to move Sobotka(off the wing)and give Nichol the boot to make room for him.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Stillflexin*

Reaves does everything Crombeen does, but better. I hate to say it but Crombeen may have lost his job with Reaves proving how bad he wants a spot.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I guessed this thread was going to be a Pietrangelo bromance thread...which I would have been completely on board with.

I was close.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:55 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

It's taken Crombeen awhile to find his game after being out so long, but he's been coming around nicely lately. When it's all said and done, he's clearly a better/more complete player than Reaves and Porter. Reaves is extremely good at his niche role, and a very credible player besides as well, so ultimately I think Porter is going to be the odd man out.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
It's taken Crombeen awhile to find his game after being out so long, but he's been coming around nicely lately. When it's all said and done, he's clearly a better/more complete player than Reaves and Porter. Reaves is extremely good at his niche role, and a very credible player besides as well, so ultimately I think Porter is going to be the odd man out.
I would call Crombeen a niche player as well. He doesn't show up unless its on the PK or the defensive end. The neutral zone and offensive zone he pretty much disappears.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
I guessed this thread was going to be a Pietrangelo bromance thread...which I would have been completely on board with.

I was close.
That would have to be a very open bromance as I think that is a city-wide relationship

Old
02-19-2012, 02:21 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
If Crombeen could hit and score, I'd agree that he's better/more complete, but he has barely managed to do either one for a couple years. He played his best hockey the year he arrived with the Blues. Solid 4th liner, but he has yet to show that he's more valuable than anybody else. Reaves at least hits and forces turnovers.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Alklha

If I'm not mistaken he had the chance to drop the gloves and go after Clutterbuck when Shattenkirk took the punch infront of the Wild net in the third period last night. It was really frustrating not to see him take that opportunity.

That is basically the only slight negative that I can think about Reaves this season. He has been great, and is certainly one of my favourites.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:51 PM
puckerdude10

This year I love having all of these guys I have a feeling porter and reaves will replace nichol and crombeen next year and mcrae may get a look plus with the possibility of tarensenko and schwartz either making the roster or being the next call up. I love having the problem of who do you play cause they all work hard and do well. Its nice that we have that depth especially for the playoffs. I also agree about Reaves really improving his all around game and working his butt off as long as he doesnt have to many injuries I could see him being the Blues enforcer/servicable fourth line player for years to come.

puckerdude10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:33 PM
BadgersandBlues

I love Reaves. He gives you an honest effort every night, the type of effort a guy like Stewart could really learn from.

I think Crombeen's time with this team is coming to a close. He was a staple on our PK for awhile, and was very good at it, but now he barely sees any time shorthanded, as Hitchcock goes with more skilled players out there.

There is nothing wrong per say with Beener, I'm sure he's a good locker room guy, and I've heard nothing but good things about him from a community standpoint, but we're paying him 1 million a year and he doesn't do anything Reaves and Porter can't do for less.

He definitely helped us during our more lean years, but he's clearly been passed over on the depth chart by Nichol, Sobotka, Reaves, and Porter.

When D'ags and Steen come back I think he's the first to hit the pressbox.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Chicago Blues

He's a great 4th liner. He rarely converts anything, but it seems like makes things happen. You still have to play hockey when he's out there and not just bang bodies...he's fantastic for what he is. Signing his extension is just another underrated intelligent move by the front office.

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Renard

I like Reaves, too. Unlike many of our former tough guys, he doesn't take bad penalties. He's a solid hitter, but the hits are clean. He'll improve as a fighter as he gains experience, but he's pretty good already. He's got some offensive skill.

The only thing holding him back as a player is his skating. He's slow. Maybe he can work on that in the off-season, the way Backes did a couple of years ago.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:31 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renard View Post
I like Reaves, too. Unlike many of our former tough guys, he doesn't take bad penalties. He's a solid hitter, but the hits are clean. He'll improve as a fighter as he gains experience, but he's pretty good already. He's got some offensive skill.

The only thing holding him back as a player is his skating. He's slow. Maybe he can work on that in the off-season, the way Backes did a couple of years ago.
I don't think he is slow, personally. He might not be a burner, but I think he gets around pretty well for his size.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
If Crombeen could hit and score, I'd agree that he's better/more complete, but he has barely managed to do either one for a couple years. He played his best hockey the year he arrived with the Blues. Solid 4th liner, but he has yet to show that he's more valuable than anybody else. Reaves at least hits and forces turnovers.
With regards to Crombeen, there's really no comparison to make with Reaves since they have two completely different roles, but he's faster than Porter, a better system player than Porter, is stronger defensively than Porter (both on the back-check, and positionally), has better hands than Porter, and he can play the PK. Even factoring in a post-injury rebound period for Crombeen, Porter has physicality and a sheer energy factor over Crombeen, and he's better on the forecheck. Over the long haul, the offense is probably a wash.

I suppose it all comes down to what the team values in a 12-14th forward. If they want the option for a super energy line and superior forechecking, they'll keep Porter. If they're looking for a stronger system/defensive presence who can chip in on the PK if needed, they'll keep Crombeen. My money is on them keeping Crombeen, personally.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 133
Legitimately been one of my favorite players recently. Didn't like his late punch on Clutterbuck, regardless of what happened right before.

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
The Note
Bullies

I'd say Reaves deserves a spot over Crombeen imo

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote