Old
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by freez1ngmoon View Post
yeah selanne has definitely been a part of that with the most points on the team, 3rd in goals, and with a +8 rating.
No, he's been a part of that with turnovers and poor decisions when he has the puck.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:57 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
No, he's been a part of that with turnovers and poor decisions when he has the puck.
You should know that Teemu is immune from any criticism, however accurate it may be around here.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
You should know that Teemu is immune from any criticism, however accurate it may be around here.
Apparently.

I love the guy as much as the next, but it's pretty clear his level of play has dropped from where it was earlier in the season. He's been pretty brutal at times with the puck. Trying to force plays, overhandling the puck, and like Duckstudd has said before, it's like the puck is a grenade for him at times. This has been particularly noticeable on the PP, since he's been on the right side(which I think is a mistake to begin with). I don't see why he should get a pass just because he's Selanne.

In my opinion, Selanne was arguably our best player in the first two months of the season. Since then? Not so much. He hasn't been our worst player, but he's been part of the problem

Old
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
You don't think maybe this season has had a little wear and tear? He works out over the summer (if he wants one more year) and he's good as new and can hunt his milestones.

I don't get it, a FEW bad games from out top point getter and all of a sudden his play has dropped off. Yeah. It has dropped off. From top 10 in the league type producer, that still leaves you with a great player. And I'm not trying to be like, "how dare you talk about Teemu Christ like that" but seriously though. It's not like there are guys on our team doing much better at the moment. Perry turns it over trying to make a pretty play more times than I care to count.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
You don't think maybe this season has had a little wear and tear? He works out over the summer (if he wants one more year) and he's good as new and can hunt his milestones.

I don't get it, a FEW bad games from out top point getter and all of a sudden his play has dropped off. Yeah. It has dropped off. From top 10 in the league type producer, that still leaves you with a great player. And I'm not trying to be like, "how dare you talk about Teemu Christ like that" but seriously though. It's not like there are guys on our team doing much better at the moment. Perry turns it over trying to make a pretty play more times than I care to count.
I'm not saying Selanne is a bad player. I'm not saying he can't contribute. All I'm saying is that he's been part of the problem lately, especially on the PP which is typically his greatest strength.

Is it entirely his fault? No, probably not. I don't think he's being used properly on the PP, for example. Selanne has never been the guy to run the PP. That's fallen to guys like Niedermayer, Pronger, Visnovsky, and so on. Selanne has always been the shooter. The guy that they try to get open, so they can feed him for his shot. For whatever reason, the coaches aren't using Selanne like that. They seem to want him to handle the puck more, and it's just not working. Until the coaches figure that part out, or they substitute him for another player like Ryan, I don't think we'll get our PP truly back on track.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
That's Fowler.

Selanne is still 6th in the league in PP points. Few bad games and people forget how good he was earlier this season.

jepjepjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
That's Fowler.

Selanne is still 6th in the league in PP points. Few bad games and people forget how good he was earlier this season.
If you say so.

The problem is that this isn't earlier in the season, is it? It's now.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
If you say so.

The problem is that this isn't earlier in the season, is it? It's now.
Yup and I see the problem being Fowler and his poor decisions. I agree with you that playing Selanne on the right side is a poor decision by the coaching staff.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
Yup and I see the problem being Fowler and his poor decisions. I agree with you that playing Selanne on the right side is a poor decision by the coaching staff.
See, I don't buy that. Lubo was pulled off the PP, and there has been better puck movement as a result. The problem I'm seeing on the PP is when the puck is moved down low. I've been happy with the puck movement on the point. Good mobility, quick to get the passes off. I'd prefer Getzlaf to be the shooter over Fowler, but I don't see Fowler constantly turning the puck over the way Selanne is. Koivu, in the mid slot area doesn't help much either. He's had a number of opportunities fed to him that he hasn't been able to bury.

At any rate, that's all besides the point. This isn't about Selanne's first two months. It's about the way he's playing now, and he's been a turnover machine. Shades of 09, when the same thing happened.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:57 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Selanne has looked bad in the PP. I blame it more on the setup than he himself. Ignore the fact that he's slowing down, even in his prime that's not his best role.

Don't keep giving him the puck on that side, that far from the net so he's not a shooting threat. For it to so consistently happen it's either the coaches making him do it, or they're not correcting him. Either way it's more coaching.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Theridion

Quote:
See, I don't buy that. Lubo was pulled off the PP, and there has been better puck movement as a result. The problem I'm seeing on the PP is when the puck is moved down low. I've been happy with the puck movement on the point. Good mobility, quick to get the passes off. I'd prefer Getzlaf to be the shooter over Fowler, but I don't see Fowler constantly turning the puck over the way Selanne is. Koivu, in the mid slot area doesn't help much either. He's had a number of opportunities fed to him that he hasn't been able to bury.

At any rate, that's all besides the point. This isn't about Selanne's first two months. It's about the way he's playing now, and he's been a turnover machine. Shades of 09, when the same thing happened.
I guess the question is, if his play is struggling as of late, what's the problem? Age? Fatigue? How he's being played? How he's being used?

The safe response would be, "all of the above", and a little bit more of him trying to hard.

Selanne has a spot on this team next year, but ideally for him, he would have a slot on this team where he isn't required to be the primary cog of the 1st PP unit and make the 2nd line productive.

The 2nd line hasn't been working, Koivu + Teemu just can't carry a 2nd line, and I don't know if its worth continuing to experiment with them their.

Selanne would still be a great addition on this team next year, but as people have repeated, we can't continue to build around him. To maximize his use, he is going to continue to be best used situationally.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Hagged

I guess the question is; would the ducks have gotten in to play-offs if Selanne retired last summer? At least the PP would have worked better?

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Selanne has looked bad in the PP. I blame it more on the setup than he himself. Ignore the fact that he's slowing down, even in his prime that's not his best role.

Don't keep giving him the puck on that side, that far from the net so he's not a shooting threat. For it to so consistently happen it's either the coaches making him do it, or they're not correcting him. Either way it's more coaching.
THIS. I still hate the fact we completely changed our PP setup.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:09 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
I guess the question is; would the ducks have gotten in to play-offs if Selanne retired last summer? At least the PP would have worked better?
No, who would have replaced his production? Also the team sucked during the beginning of the season and Teemu was the only one who seemed to care. Team without Teemu would have been just as bad or even worse this season.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:25 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
He's been on the 1st unit all season. Honestly, the 1st unit has been pretty poor this season, and Selanne has certainly been a part of that.
Selanne is far down on the list

1. the pointmen have been an unmitigated disaster, when we force Getzlaf there it removes size down low and on the walls.

2. Poorly coached, never seems to be a plan out there.

3. ALL the forwards share blame, can't only pinpoint Selanne, he's asked to do to much, he should be asked to do less. his only job should be shoot the puck, and constant motion.

Selanne has still made some of the best passes on the entire team this year

He's being asked to do to much, he should not have to be the best player on his line. how about some perspective folks? :

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Teemu Selanne shouldn't have to be the best player on his line?

Old
03-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Theridion

Quote:
Teemu Selanne shouldn't have to be the best player on his line?
... Shouldn't have to single-handedly be responsible for his line scoring?

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:35 AM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Is this a joke?

Old
03-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I don't think that is a question, at all. Personally, I find it easy to agree that Teemu hasn't been good in the last few games, but there is no question that his presence isn't a "problem" for the team in general, to put it incredibly lightly.

We would be a significantly worse team without him, and we'll most likely be a worse team without than with him next summer. While Teemu hasn't always been his "top-5 powerplay player in the entire game"-self, he also generally isn't the one holding our PP back.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Huffman

I think he will come back one more season, he is too good to quit.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote