HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carey Price

Old
02-18-2012, 04:55 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
If there are only 5 world class goalies then Price is definitely not one of them. The obvious ones are Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Miller and Luongo. Then their is the next tier that Price is probably in the middle of: Fleury, Quick, Ward, Kiprussof. So top 10 for sure, but not a chance he's a top 5 goalie in the league. Now, is Jordan Eberle a top 5 RW? Debatable, but the stats would suggest yes. Couple that with him being younger (thus more potential), and a lifelong Oiler fan who wants to be here (thus more inclined to sign a bargain deal) and its actually a no-brainer for the Oil to say no to Ebs straight up, let alone some of the packages suggested in this thread.

Also, I thought there were rumours from RDS earlier in the year that Price is looking for 7mil per? Good luck with that.

Of all the goalies you mentioned there are MAYBE 2 I would put ahead of Price. You can compare numbers all you wish but if you compare the d-men playing in front of those goalies. If you give price those same d-men I believe he puts up better numbers. I guess I have no proof of that its just my opinion. Just like you would have no proof that im wrong.

Last edited by IceDaddy: 02-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.
IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:17 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Of all the goalies you mentioned there are MAYBE 2 I would put ahead of Price. You can compare numbers all you wish but if you compare the d-men playing in front of those goalies. If you give price those same d-men I believe he puts up better numbers. I guess I have no proof of that its just my opinion. Just like you would have no proof that im wrong.
That just confirms it...you're biased towards your team's players. Good to know.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
And you would be in the same spot you guys are now. A very good team with no shot at the cup because of your goaltending. AGAIN.
Obviously if I was with the Flyers and had the team they do right now I'd take Price over Eberle. But I was talking about from scratch. Which player would I rather have for building a team with, it'd be Eberle.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
That just is not true he has proven he can be a good Goalie in the league he is not currently an elite goalie. He may be but Theodore was Elite for a season you could say. Carey was elite for a season at a young age. Mason ect.
I'm not even sure where to begin. You just compared him to Steve Mason.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Which are the MAYBE 2?

Old
02-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
If there are only 5 world class goalies then Price is definitely not one of them. The obvious ones are Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Miller and Luongo. Then their is the next tier that Price is probably in the middle of: Fleury, Quick, Ward, Kiprussof. So top 10 for sure, but not a chance he's a top 5 goalie in the league. Now, is Jordan Eberle a top 5 RW? Debatable, but the stats would suggest yes. Couple that with him being younger (thus more potential), and a lifelong Oiler fan who wants to be here (thus more inclined to sign a bargain deal) and its actually a no-brainer for the Oil to say no to Ebs straight up, let alone some of the packages suggested in this thread.

Also, I thought there were rumours from RDS earlier in the year that Price is looking for 7mil per? Good luck with that.
Of your first list, Price is better than Thomas, Miller and Luongo. He is behind Lundqvist and Rinne right now though. On the second list he is better than all of them except for maybe Quick, however at the start of the season Price was quite visibly better than Quick. I'd probably put them about even. Price is right around the 5th best goalie in the league and the youngest of the goaltenders in that range.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:28 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Of your first list, Price is better than Thomas, Miller and Luongo. He is behind Lundqvist and Rinne right now though. On the second list he is better than all of them except for maybe Quick, however at the start of the season Price was quite visibly better than Quick. I'd probably put them about even. Price is right around the 5th best goalie in the league and the youngest of the goaltenders in that range.
Multiple Vezina awards and nomination say what?

Old
02-18-2012, 05:35 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Multiple Vezina awards and nomination say what?
Chara says hi and takes credit

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
The point of my previous post wasn't to downplay what Price brings to the table as I think he's a fantastic goalie and would love to have him on my team (just not at the cost of Ebs/Hall/RNH). But to call him "worldclass" and say he's "top 4 or 5", then when I list what should be pretty close to the consensus top 5 goalies (certainly world class given their credentials) and you now tell me that MAYBE 2 of them are better, well, I'm not really sure what to say

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:42 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Chara says hi and takes credit
That's complete b.s. Thomas earned those Vezina trophies.

And you didn't mention the multiple nominations for Lou, Lundqvist, Rinne (after this year), etc.

Price is a very good young goalie, but to say there are only two better in the world is laughable. And to say he's better than Thomas is even more laughable.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Dharvey33

Value wise Price is the most valuable goalie in the league because of his young age his physical abilities and the ability to handle the pressure.

I Like Price but his play this year as not been the best not elite IMO but there are no other goalie under 24 that are even close to Price right now. Lundqvist is 29 that's 5 year older and Quick is 26.

The habs would not trade Price unless a elite goalie prospect, an elite center prospect and a regular top 6 nhler is coming back.

There are only two teams that could put up this kind of package.

Sens would have to offer Zibanejad Cowen lehner pick
Panthers would have to offer Huberdeau Markstrom and howden.

That's because Lehner and Markstrom are set to be excellent goalies in this league.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Value wise Price is the most valuable in the league because of his young age his physical abilities and the ability to handle the pressure.

I Like Price but his play this year as not been the best not elite IMO but there are no other goalie under 24 that are even close to Price right now. Lundqvist is 29 that's 5 year older and Quick is 26.

The habs would not trade Price unless a elite goalie prospect, an elite center prospect and a regular top 6 nhler is coming back.

There are only two teams that could put up a decent package.

Sens would have to offer Zibanejad Cowen lehner pick
Panthers would have to offer Huberdeau Markstrom and howden.
This seems pretty darn biased to me.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
This seems pretty darn biased to me.
No it's not but hey your a flyer fan that explain it all.

Put price on the flyers and i guarantee you would be 1st in the east right now you have a better team than the rangers but they have Lundqvist.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
To think that the Flyers could have gotten Price for Hartnell+ only two years ago...
Hmmm....where did you come up with that one?

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
No it's not but hey your a flyer fan that explain it all.

Put price on the flyers and i guarantee you would be 1st in the east right now you have a better team than the rangers but they have Lundqvist.
Not denying that. I'd love to have Price on this team but to say he's the most valuable in the league, that's a little far fetched to me.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Zolik37
No.1 Guenin Fan

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbreakCH View Post
Something like Gudbranson, Huberdeau, Markstrom and a 1st. It's obviously overpayment, but its what it would take to a) get price out of mtl b) be fair enough to fee like we're not getting ripped of for a 24 year old elite tender.
When did Crosby change his name to Price?

Zolik37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Not denying that. I'd love to have Price on this team but to say he's the most valuable in the league, that's a little far fetched to me.
I said Goalie he is far from the most valuable player in the league.

Only Lundqvist Quick Fleury Howard could compete against him since all the top goalie are over 30 except those 3.

Would you prefer to have price for 13 years or Rinne for 7years?

I think it's rightful to say Price has the most value but not by a mile Lundqvist Fleury and Quick are just next to him because they are older.

If you say Lundqvist has more value it's your opinion everyone can have his own opinion.

Old
02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
palindrom

what about packaging Price++ for Nash?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:27 PM
reffree

Quote:
And if you compare his number to Nabokov, Giguère, Lethonen, Theodore ?
Or are those d-men playing in front of them too good to be compare to those with a habs jersey?
Oh and by the way, all of them have a better save % than Price.

You can say Price has elite potential, but he is not elite right now.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:39 PM
AmericanRocket91

The fact that he is a RFA makes me walk away. From what I've seen on here Price is looking at Rinne money. I'm pretty sure you have to give up like 4 draft picks for that..if indeed he's looking at getting paid 7million plus.

Maybe the Caps could fork over Holtby, and two prospects for him? If the Caps sign Price to a long term then Montreal would receive even more assets.

AmericanRocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:45 PM
The Velvet Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
I'll guess what it would take. Who needs a goalie? Edmonton does.

From Edmonton.

Eberle, Paarjaavi, 1st round pick (could be one of the russian duo),Dubnyk
thats a little steep. that first is likely top3 and carries a lot of value.

1st, dubnyk + 1 good young prospect (eberle,hall,mps,rnh).. price is a great goalie and i would sell the farm for him, he would be the answer for the next 15+ years

The Velvet Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Well his there another a player that just like like Price, in a way where if you take him out of the team they are just horrible ?

I dont see one. Most Valuable doesn't mean the best

canadiansbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:00 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
why?

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Price is an untouchable in Montreal. The Canadiens do not have any goaltenders in their system that show nothing but back-up goaltending status at best. At Price's age, he still has time to improve on his already stellar game. Trading him would not only put the organization back a few steps, it would put them leaps and bounds back.

As much as a franchise player of any team coming back in a trade for Price sounds great, I would hope that Montreal's management would never make that kind of move. Hab for life, in my opinion.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:20 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post

You must mean Nash ++ for Price and one + is their 1st and the other plus better be a damm good player if you have any hopes of getting Price.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote