HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carey Price

Old
02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Halifaxhab

vCash: 500
how many 24yo franchise goalies get traded...and if they do, it's for quality.

You don't hand over 1$ for 100 pennies. Sure they're equal but which one would you rather have.

But all this garbage about this goalie vs that goalie...oh I may as well wait for UFA season to get someone as good....blah blah blah

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
You must mean Nash ++ for Price and one + is their 1st and the other plus better be a damm good player if you have any hopes of getting Price.
Howson is looking to set his team up for the future. He won't package Nash AND his 1st round pick (1st overall, probably) for just Price. That would be absolutely ridiculous.

Old
02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
palindrom

Quote:
You must mean Nash ++ for Price and one + is their 1st and the other plus better be a damm good player if you have any hopes of getting Price.
Its about suply and demand...

Just a quick look at last summer cheap UFA goalie and you will realize its easier to find a cheap UFA Goalie (1 500 000$) coming close to price performance, than finding a cheap UFA forward coming close to Nash performance.

Price gone, i would bring back Huet next season (at a cheap contract).

Im sure Nash could make the difference in skill between Price and Huet.

I dont really care if Price is young, unless he is signed long term, he is Scheduled to be UFA summer 2015. Will Nash is guarantee to be under contract until 2018.

In short, Nash just have a lot more value than price.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 09:50 PM
waxring

As a Habs fan i think everyone is overating Price's value a lot. A goalie is nowhere near as important as it used to be since they rely a lot on their defence. Just this year Mike Smith and Brian Eliott are in the top ten for save% and goalies that people consider ''great'' like Fleury,Price and Cam Ward are 27th, 25th and 21st respectively...
People saying that Eberle alone would be assanine to consider are delusional. In fact i think Edmontons first and Pajaarvi would probably be enough to get Price.

waxring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
How about Price, Tinordi, Kostitsyn and Mtl 1st 2012 for Ovechkin?
I wouldn't do Price for Ovechkin straight across! And I'm dead serious.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxring View Post
In fact i think Edmontons first and Pajaarvi would probably be enough to get Price.
You think wrong.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Its about suply and demand...

Just a quick look at last summer cheap UFA goalie and you will realize its easier to find a cheap UFA Goalie (1 500 000$) coming close to price performance, than finding a cheap UFA forward coming close to Nash performance.

Price gone, i would bring back Huet next season (at a cheap contract).

Im sure Nash could make the difference in skill between Price and Huet.

I dont really care if Price is young, unless he is signed long term, he is Scheduled to be UFA summer 2015. Will Nash is guarantee to be under contract until 2018.

In short, Nash just have a lot more value than price.
Ok, let's talk supply:
How many top 10 goalies are there under the age of 25.
There is 1. His name is Carey Price. I'm not even a habs fan and I'm aware how valuable this guy is.
Now let's talk demand:
Who currently would swap out their current goalie for Carey Price.
Well besides Boston, LA, NYR, Nashville, Vancouver, pretty much them all (there may be one or two more, but w/e).
So it looks like Demand is pretty high, and supply is pretty low. That means price is high.
Philly has been looking for a #1 goalie for 20 years. That shows how hard it is to acquire a goalie of that quality.

Nash is older, more easily substituted (he is on pace for 55 points this year & Radim Vrbata has had more of an impact on his team this year), and has higher end cap hit. Nash has a ton of value but Price has more.

Carey Price is by far Montreal's most valuable commodity. He is way more valuable than Subban or Pacioretty to the franchise.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:49 PM
ProMath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Ok, let's talk supply:
There is 1. His name is Carey Price. I'm not even a habs fan and I'm aware how valuable this guy is.
Now let's talk demand:
Well besides Boston, LA, NYR, Nashville, Vancouver, pretty much them all (there may be one or two more, but w/e).
So it looks like Demand is pretty high, and supply is pretty low. That means price is high.
Philly has been looking for a #1 goalie for 20 years. That shows how hard it is to acquire a goalie of that quality.

Nash is older, more easily substituted (he is on pace for 55 points this year & Radim Vrbata has had more of an impact on his team this year), and has higher end cap hit. Nash has a ton of value but Price has more.

Carey Price is by far Montreal's most valuable commodity. He is way more valuable than Subban or Pacioretty to the franchise.
Don't try to argue with him ...

He thinks Biron could bring has much to a team that Carey Price does...

For the Thread.

Habs should never trade Price. No team would pay what it would cost. + Price is young, Habs core is young.

Elite Goalie (actually ... any elite talent) rarely...never get traded... you sign them ... or draft them.

Last edited by ProMath: 02-18-2012 at 10:55 PM.
ProMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:53 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMath View Post
Don't try to argue with him ...

He thinks Biron could bring has much to a team that Carey Price does...
Biron has a five hole bigger than Andromeda.

Old
02-18-2012, 10:54 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Maybe for Tyson Nash.

Rick Nash has more value than Carey Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I wouldn't do Price for Ovechkin straight across! And I'm dead serious.
You might be in the minority on that one.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:59 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
You think wrong.
Montreal isn't dealing Price at all, so you're right. But I don't think Edmonton would even offer their first (currently 2nd overall, 3rd if they lose the lottery). Montreal is building their team around Price, Edmonton is building theirs around Eberle/Hall/RNH, three future superstars.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:01 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Montreal isn't dealing Price at all, so you're right. But I don't think Edmonton would even offer their first (currently 2nd overall, 3rd if they lose the lottery). Montreal is building their team around Price, Edmonton is building theirs around Eberle/Hall/RNH, three future superstars.
I would think that Edmonton would jump on Price if it only cost them a lottery pick.

Edmonton would finally get that stud goaltender for the next decade, and would just need to concentrate on acquiring quality defencemen.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:10 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
I'd be reluctant too. You're pay 9+ mm for a guy who has all the talent in the world but has questionable work ethic and is under a PPG.
Ovechkin has been sliding the last few years. I'd ultimately make the deal b/c I think the chance is worth it. However, I understand the reluctance from Habs fans. Ovechkin has been just bad this year.

I don't see him rebounding until Sochi TBH. I bet he puts up 120-130 in 2014.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:15 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
I would think that Edmonton would jump on Price if it only cost them a lottery pick.

Edmonton would finally get that stud goaltender for the next decade, and would just need to concentrate on acquiring quality defencemen.
The Oilers don't have a Carey Price, but they do have a lot of prospect goalies and one of the best young goalies in the league in Dubnyk. Price would obviously be a huge upgrade, but wouldn't be worth a 2nd or 3rd overall pick plus Pajaarvi.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:25 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
The Oilers don't have a Carey Price, but they do have a lot of prospect goalies and one of the best young goalies in the league in Dubnyk. Price would obviously be a huge upgrade, but wouldn't be worth a 2nd or 3rd overall pick plus Pajaarvi.
Dubnyk is not one of the best young goalies in the league. He's borderline AHL quality. Has it gotten so bad that Oiler fans consider Dubnyk to be one of the best young goalies in the league????

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:27 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
I disagree.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:29 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
I definitely don't agree with that.
The goaltending & defense is where the Oilers need to add. Offense is set for the next 15 years...

Old
02-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiTesla View Post
Habs would have to up their offer, in reality.
In reality, making a great team is all about getting the max amount of productivity (not only in goals and assists) out of your cap space. Spending 9.5 mil on an Ovechkin that's not even ppg isn't the way to go. I'd rather use that cap space to pay for Price and another good player (top 6 forward or top 3 dman). I believe that's a better use of cap space.

Ski Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Maybe for Tyson Nash.

Rick Nash has more value than Carey Price.

Considering Nash has never broken 80 points and makes nearly 8 mil per year, I'd take Price for the same reasons as I stated above. But say Price all of a sudden signs a deal for 8 mil per year then it's a whole new argument. I feel you don't take contracts into account.

Ski Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:21 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I definitely don't agree with that.
The goaltending & defense is where the Oilers need to add. Offense is set for the next 15 years...
The defense needs some stop gaps until Marincin, Klefbom and hopefully Murray are ready to lead the blueline. There aren`t many teams that have better defense prospects than Edmonton, they just need time. Same with goaltending. The Oilers seem content with Dubnyk going forward, and he`s shown that he`s pretty good and progressing. Like I said, the Oilers are building slow, they aren`t going to sell the farm to fill a spot that they are content with. Especially because trading that pick means they are passing on a potential franchise defenseman. I'd be open to trading the Oilers top three pick (most likely) for the right defenseman, but not a goalie, even one with the upside of Carey Price. Montreal is building from the net out, Edmonton is not. Besides, and I think I mentioned this, we have a couple of top notch goaltending prospects that we are developing as well, so goaltending seems to be covered for the future...just not the present. I`d rather keep the pick and sign a guy like Josh Harding or Ben Bishop to battle with Dubnyk for the number one spot than take on a goalie who will command 6 million per year or more in the very near future and have to give up other significant pieces right now.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:23 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quick >>>>> Price

... that is all

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:25 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I disagree.
You`ve proven time and again that you don`t know squat about the Oilers, so I don`t care if you agree or not.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:27 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Dubnyk is not one of the best young goalies in the league. He's borderline AHL quality. Has it gotten so bad that Oiler fans consider Dubnyk to be one of the best young goalies in the league????
AHL quality? Dubnyk has a couple of problems like a lot of young goalies, but he is definitely an NHL caliber goalie at this point, and still has the upside to be a very good starter. Perhaps I should have said best emerging goalies, to take away comparisons to guys like Price, who is obviously in another class altogether than the Dubnyk's, Bernier's, Schneider's, etc.

AHL quality. Ha ha, you can crawl back under your rock now.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:05 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Ok, let's talk supply:
Now let's talk demand:

If you want to have a good idea of the supply and demand..look at the UFA market each summer, and how much money player from each position can fetch.

We live in a market with experienced #01 goalie like Theodore, Nabokov, Vokoun, Giguere, Elliott can all be found for 1 500 000$ or less.

Now what kind of forward can you sign for 1 500 000$ or less ?
Even an old Jagr accepting a small contract can fetch 3 300 000$ as UFA.

If the demand for Goalies was incredible, no way Nabokov need to go in Europe in 2010, no way Vokoun sign a bargain contract.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:15 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

i would do terrible, unforgivable things to have price wearing a flyers jersey instead of the benny hill skit we have going on right now.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote