HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carey Price

Old
02-19-2012, 02:21 AM
TalkingHead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
If you want to have a good idea of the supply and demand..look at the UFA market each summer, and how much money player from each position can fetch.

We live in a market with experienced #01 goalie like Theodore, Nabokov, Vokoun, Giguere, Elliott can all be found for 1 500 000$ or less.

Now what kind of forward can you sign for 1 500 000$ or less ?
Even an old Jagr accepting a small contract can fetch 3 300 000$ as UFA.

If the demand for Goalies was incredible, no way Nabokov need to go in Europe in 2010, no way Vokoun sign a bargain contract.
Theo and Giguere were backups (Giguere still is), Elliot was horrible last season, Vokoun and Nabokov were trying to win now as both are getting up there in age. Bryzgalov is kind of the only comparable to Price.

TalkingHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Of your first list, Price is better than Thomas, Miller and Luongo. He is behind Lundqvist and Rinne right now though. On the second list he is better than all of them except for maybe Quick, however at the start of the season Price was quite visibly better than Quick. I'd probably put them about even. Price is right around the 5th best goalie in the league and the youngest of the goaltenders in that range.
While I agree Miller has pretty much played himself out of this discussion. Both Luongo and Thomas are better than Price as of the moment. Yes, Lu has his struggles but outside of the Boston fiasco this past June, he was absolutely stellar. In fact, he popped two shutouts in the aforementioned series. Meanwhile, Thomas has been surreal, shattering a NHL record last season with stretches of near unbelievable numbers. Boston was not exactly dominating the season then either, as they finished only a few points above Montreal.

Lundqvist
Thomas
Luongo
Rinne
Quick
Price
Howard
Fleury
Kiprusoff
Ward

Those would be my top ten. Price could certainly slide into the top five but I argue if he is quite there yet. Honorable mentions should go to Elliot, Halak and Smith but I would like to see a bit more from them before bumping off one of the aforementioned.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:37 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingHead View Post
Theo and Giguere were backups (Giguere still is), Elliot was horrible last season, Vokoun and Nabokov were trying to win now as both are getting up there in age. Bryzgalov is kind of the only comparable to Price.
Theo and Giguere backup? Thats exactly my point! If its not a good example of the over supply of good goalie in the league, i dont know what is needed. In no other era in the history of the NHL a goalie of their caliber could be backup, but in the current NHL goalie market.

Both Nabokov and Vokoun was trying to find a big $ contract as UFA, Nabokov even went to the KHL to sign one. Short of option, Vokoun had no choice but accept Washington offer.

In comparison when a forward like Hossa or Richards accept a ''pay cut'' to go to a winning team. They can still manage to find over 6 millions $.

If the demand/supply ratio for goalie was exceeding the one for forwards, Goalies should make more money than forwards.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
If there are only 5 world class goalies then Price is definitely not one of them. The obvious ones are Lundqvist, Rinne, Thomas, Miller and Luongo.
Is this serious or some sort of bait? Miller has had a terrible season and both Thomas and Luongo while good have been sat in favor of there backups at times this year I am pretty sure. Lundquvist and Rinne have been pretty consistent and are one of the biggest reasons the teams have done as well as they have certainly.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:06 AM
TalkingHead

Quote:
Theo and Giguere backup? Thats exactly my point! If its not a good example of the over supply of good goalie in the league, i dont know what is needed. In no other era in the history of the NHL a goalie of their caliber could be backup, but in the current NHL goalie market.

Both Nabokov and Vokoun was trying to find a big $ contract as UFA, Nabokov even went to the KHL to sign one. Short of option, Vokoun had no choice but accept Washington offer.

In comparison when a forward like Hossa or Richards accept a ''pay cut'' to go to a winning team. They can still manage to find over 6 millions $.

If the demand/supply ratio for goalie was exceeding the one for forwards, Goalies should make more money than forwards.
It is obvious why those goalies signed for relatively small contracts and the circumstances around them do not surround Price at all, who like I said, is much more comparable to Bryzgalov than any of the aforementioned goalies due to his age (even though Bryz is significantly older) and recent history. You are comparing apples and oranges, looking at one year contracts for aging goalies and back up contracts when evaluting the prospects of a franchise goalie entering his prime. You are trying to judge supply and demand AFTER the fact, when that is simply hindsight.

TalkingHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:28 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingHead View Post
It is obvious why those goalies signed for relatively small contracts and the circumstances around them do not surround Price at all, who like I said, is much more comparable to Bryzgalov than any of the aforementioned goalies due to his age (even though Bryz is significantly older) and recent history. You are comparing apples and oranges, looking at one year contracts for aging goalies and back up contracts when evaluting the prospects of a franchise goalie entering his prime. You are trying to judge supply and demand AFTER the fact, when that is simply hindsight.
ok, lets just forget about all this...

Just look at the top 15 most paid (cap hit) players in the entire NHL...none of them are goalies. Look at the top 20..only Lundqvist is there at the 20th spot. Followed by Cam Ward at 47th.

If goalies had more value than forward, they would fetch more $ than forward. This is as simple as that.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:34 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You`ve proven time and again that you don`t know squat about the Oilers, so I don`t care if you agree or not.
Add in the Habs too.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:38 AM
mytor4*

To a team needing a forward Nash would have more value .To a team looking for a goalie Price would have more value.
Starting a team from fresh i would pick Price over Nash 8 days a week which means Price>Nash... AINEC

Old
02-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Is this serious or some sort of bait? Miller has had a terrible season and both Thomas and Luongo while good have been sat in favor of there backups at times this year I am pretty sure. Lundquvist and Rinne have been pretty consistent and are one of the biggest reasons the teams have done as well as they have certainly.
So Miller has had a sub-par year compared to previous seasons and we just throw out the entire body of work because of it? 2 years ago he won the Vezina, nearly stole an Olympic Gold medal from Canada, and took a team that was arguably the same one he has now (talent-wise on paper) and won the division. After the Lucic hit/failure of teammates answering the bell, that whole team fell into a downward spiral. I have no doubt he'll bounce back next year.

But I guess Price is "world-class" and "top 5" due to his stellar playoff resume:

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i would do terrible, unforgivable things to have price wearing a flyers jersey instead of the benny hill skit we have going on right now.
even wear a GIANTS jersey at an Eagles game?

Seriously though. For the Flyers, they could pay the massive asking price for a sure-er thing (Price) OR.... pay less for Schnieder who is looking like an up and coming quality Starter (especially behind the Flyer Defence, yes, even without Pronger)

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
You`ve proven time and again that you don`t know squat about the Oilers, so I don`t care if you agree or not.
Sorry friend, but only in Edmonton is Dubnyk one of the great young goalies in the league.

You're in the minority.

Price would be a huge upgrade on Dubnyk AINEC. I'm sure Edmonton would jump on trading just a lottery pick for Carey Price. Add in MPS and I still think the Oilers would do it. Passing up on a stud goaltender because you don't want to give up another draft pick is silly.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
Sorry friend, but only in Edmonton is Dubnyk one of the great young goalies in the league.

You're in the minority.

Price would be a huge upgrade on Dubnyk AINEC. I'm sure Edmonton would jump on trading a lottery pick for Carey Price.

I'm betting there are at least 20-25 teams that would do that

Old
02-19-2012, 10:23 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I'm betting there are at least 20-25 teams that would do that
He's just salivating at another lottery pick. I don't even know why.

If you have a chance to get Carey Price with a draft pick, you do it. He's really good.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
He's just salivating at another lottery pick. I don't even know why.

If you have a chance to get Carey Price with a draft pick, you do it. He's really good.
agreed. but I guarantee the asking Price would be higher. And for EDM fans sakes, I hope they pick a stud dman with their lotto pick. they need that.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
You might be in the minority on that one.
Possible. Wouldn't make me wrong though.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
what about packaging Price++ for Nash?
You mean Nash ++ for Price

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Crisp Breakout

How about straight up, Nash for Price? Or Carter + for Price?

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
How about straight up, Nash for Price? Or Carter + for Price?
I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons:
  1. Habs don't have Halak anymore, no one to fill the void if Price leaves
  2. While he's a great player, Nash's contract vs production scares the crap out of me.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Dharvey33

Luongo better than Price? Let me laugh the guy is being outplayed by Schneider.

Miller is terrible this year and is not better than price by any means.

Rinne Thomas and Lundqvist are a bit better but not by far.

Quick and Howard are comparable.

So yes you can say he is a top 5 goalie in the league.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Luongo better than Price? Let me laugh the guy is being outplayed by Schneider.

Miller is terrible this year and is not better than price by any means.

Rinne Thomas and Lundqvist are a bit better but not by far.

Quick and Howard are comparable.

So yes you can say he is a top 5 goalie in the league.
Anyone who thinks Luongo isn't better than Price is grabbing at straws. For what its worth, Schneider is playing better than Price this year too, but he's still in a backup role and seeing limited games. Nice try though. Quick is comparable? The guy is the best goalie in the league right now. And you fail to mention other comparables Fleury, and Ward, and are not considering older guys like Kipper and Backstrom, who are just as good as Price. You could say Price is top five, but you'd be wrong. You'd be right if you said he fell somewhere in the 5 - 15 range. Will he be top 5? I'm sure he will, but he isn't yet.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Luongo isn't better than Price is grabbing at straws. For what its worth, Schneider is playing better than Price this year too, but he's still in a backup role and seeing limited games. Nice try though. Quick is comparable? The guy is the best goalie in the league right now. And you fail to mention other comparables Fleury, and Ward, and are not considering older guys like Kipper and Backstrom, who are just as good as Price. You could say Price is top five, but you'd be wrong. You'd be right if you said he fell somewhere in the 5 - 15 range. Will he be top 5? I'm sure he will, but he isn't yet.
I'd say Howard is better than Quick (both playing in the top 3 of goalies this season).

And YOU are grasping at straws. Price top 5-10 yes. But no lower than that. But hey, I'm just some rose coloured glasses wearing fan right?

Old
02-19-2012, 11:29 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
I would take Price over Luongo . Price playing for the Nucks would make the Nucks the top choice to win the cup.Anyone thinking Loungo ia better than Price is missing the boat.
Top 5 err
Lundy
Rhinne
Thomas -give him the bennifit of doubt.
After that i list
Price ,Quick Fleury Ward and not so much Miller about even.
than the rest.
So top 5 yes in some minds
top5-10 Without question by those that know the game and even to the average fan who follows the game a bit.
Then there is those that won't give credit to certain players from various teams because of hatred.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:35 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I would take Price over Luongo . Price playing for the Nucks would make the Nucks the top choice to win the cup.Anyone thinking Loungo ia better than Price is missing the boat.
Top 5 err
Lundy
Rhinne
Thomas -give him the bennifit of doubt.
After that i list
Price ,Quick Fleury Ward and not so much Miller about even.
than the rest.
So top 5 yes in some minds
top5-10 Without question by those that know the game and even to the average fan who follows the game a bit.
Then there is those that won't give credit to certain players from various teams because of hatred.
I hope that wasn't directed at me because I actually do like the Habs. But Price has had one great year, and a bunch of pretty good years. Compared to some other goalies in the league who have strung together multiple great years. I don't think Price is a top 5 goalie, like I said, anywhere in the 5 - 15 range is correct.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:37 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
I hope that wasn't directed at me because I actually do like the Habs. But Price has had one great year, and a bunch of pretty good years. Compared to some other goalies in the league who have strung together multiple great years. I don't think Price is a top 5 goalie, like I said, anywhere in the 5 - 15 range is correct.
You can name 14 goalies better than Carey Price?

Old
02-19-2012, 11:38 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
You can name 14 goalies better than Carey Price?
I can name 5 better, and another group who are debatable.