HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MTL 1st - CLB 1st

Old
02-18-2012, 04:28 PM
TSA0402

vCash: 500
Montreal fans wouldn't want to know what it would take to get that 1st overall pick.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Habitant le colon

this topic might be : Value of Grigorenko to MTL !!!

Mtl 1st + ??? + ???

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Claiming Yakupov is already Malkin is ridiculous, like I said maybe they don't want Yakupov because of Filatov, it might seem silly but people can be jaded about these things.

I can play this game too, would you rather have Tavares or Evander Kane, Pacioretty and a 2nd?
Tavares

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:00 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post
Well that's a lie and a half.
not a lie, but a fact? you ever watch tsn? read blogs? follow hockey?

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:34 PM
VerySuperFamous

Wouldn't it suck if this happened.
Columbus and Montreal finish to pick 1st and 5th but trade picks.

Montreal gives up say Tinordi+ to trade up at the deadline let's say. Montreal's pick wins the lottery.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Montreal fans wouldn't want to know what it would take to get that 1st overall pick.
It would probably require an NFL-style return.

Something like the lower 1st-round pick, plus the 2nd-rounder, plus next year's 1st.

Barring that, the lower 1st-round pick and a prospect whose value would be a 1st and 2nd, which is normally for elite prospects but not franchise players.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:34 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

Something like the lower 1st-round pick, plus the 2nd-rounder, plus next year's 1st.

Barring that, the lower 1st-round pick and a prospect whose value would be a 1st and 2nd, which is normally for elite prospects but not franchise players.
Good thing this isn't the NFL. All that seems to be is quantity compared to the first overall pick. Yakupov on Montreal, I wouldn't expect a nice pick next year. This is Columbus first chance in a long time to get a top three pick and build on that.

If I trade that pick, I want a franchise player, it might not be entirely reasonable, but it would be foolish to part with otherwise.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:38 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
MTL
Pacioretty
MTL 2nd 2013
1st 2012 (5-8 range)

Columbus
1st 2012
That might get the job done. Value is decent but I think Columbus is still better off drafting first overall.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
So a good prospect can't get you a pick 3 - 4 spots higher? What do you think it would take to move from say 5th to 1st?
Sure it can... if you're moving from say picking 24th to 21st. The 1st overall pick is a virtual slam dunk while picks 4-7 have a much higher chance of busting. Columbus has had plenty of picks in the bottom half of the top 10 in their history that they've completely struck out.

To move to 1st you have to give up something big. Like Subban or something. Some random prospect isn't going to get it done.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:44 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

Nope. Picks (quantity wise) in the NFL are worth way more than in the NHL. There are so many positions that need filling that any first round pick has a low bust potential. A 2nd round pick is a guy often asked to start as a rookie as well in the NFL. In the NHL, 2nds are risky and often never stick around full time in the NHL.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Dharvey33

I'd trade Kostitsyn for a late first (there will be offers for him)

Than i'd do our first plus the other first plus calgary 2nd next year for columbus 1st and 3rd that would do it.

Adding Paciorretty who will score 30 plus this year at the age of 23 juste to move up haha.

I'll take galchenyuk\forsberg plus Paciorretty well ahead of just Yakupov. For all we know Galchenyuk or Forsberg could end up better than Yakupov.

There are a lot of top 5 picks(or even higher) that have been better than the first overall in the last 12 years. I prefer Seguin and Skinner to Hall to be honest.

I won't even talk about the 2003 draft i could give 5 picks i'd take in front of Fleury Staal getzlaf Richards carter Parise just to name a few.

The 2006 draft is a mess also all the picks that are after johnson to kessel i'd take them in front of Johnson. Won't forget Giroux either.

A 1st pick is not assured elite player far from it but he is assured to be a nhl player.

If we end up with forsberg or Galchenyuk i'd be more than Happy and they have the ability to be elite aslo.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:04 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post

Than i'd do our first plus the other first plus calgary 2nd next year for columbus 1st and 3rd that would do it.

Adding Paciorretty who will score 30 plus this year at the age of 23 juste to move up haha.

I'll take galchenyuk\forsberg plus Paciorretty well ahead of just Yakupov. For all we know Galchenyuk or Forsberg could end up better than Yakupov.

There are a lot of top 5 picks(or even higher) that have been better than the first overall in the last 12 years. I prefer Seguin and Skinner to Hall to be honest.

I won't even talk about the 2003 draft i could give 5 picks i'd take in front of Fleury Staal getzlaf Richards carter Parise just to name a few.

The 2006 draft is a mess also all the picks that are after johnson to kessel i'd take them in front of Johnson. Won't forget Giroux either.

A 1st pick is not assured elite player far from it but he is assured to be a nhl player.

If we end up with forsberg or Galchenyuk i'd be more than Happy and they have the ability to be elite aslo.
That would not me enough for them to make the trade....This draft really has only 2 elite forwards. The defenseman in this draft are good but all need to improve one way or another. They could be #1 defenceman but have flaws then need to work on. It's a 2 horse race for top player in this draft.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post

No it wouldn't.

Would you trade the 1st Overall for that if the tables were turned? Come on. The Jackets are not trading that pick unless somebody blows them away with an offer. And I mean an offer so good you simply can't refuse it.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
That would not me enough for them to make the trade....This draft really has only 2 elite forwards. The defenseman in this draft are good but all need to improve one way or another. They could be #1 defenceman but have flaws then need to work on. It's a 2 horse race for top player in this draft.
I don't agree with that if Galchenyuk wasn't injured for all year he would be considered elite and would be a top 3 pick. Forsberg is also quite a good prospect and is playing a similar game that Landeskog is and he went 2nd overall.

Murray trouba Dumba Reinhart are all excepted to become top pairing dman.

I could easily see Murray being drafted 1st or 2nd overall depending on who gets the pick.

Considering the record they have with Zherdev and Filatov who were considered sure things i would be hesitant to get Grigorenko, Yakupov yes but if they get the 2nd overall (who knows) they should get Murray IMO.

Old
02-18-2012, 09:54 PM
habsfan92

I would offer Kostitsyn + Beulieu plus the 1st for the first overall. Basically a three first round picks for one. One in your lineup this year, a young defender that should make your team next year, and the pick this year at 5th might even make the team next year. Hell, if thats not enough, how about Mtl first pick next next year for your second rounder next year? Hows that sound?

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that it would take another 1st round pick who is playing well (ex. Beaulieu, Tinordi) to move up a few spots when after Yakupov the talent is very similar. Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Trouba, Dumba and Murray are all exceptional talents. If CLB isn't going to take Yakupov 1st overall they have no reason not to move down for a decent return. I only say they don't take him because of Filatov or maybe they don't want a winger.
The drop-off is enough that you won't get Nail for a Dumba/Trouba + a spare part.

if you don't think #1 is worth #5 + Beaulieu, then keep it. Because that's what it will take (actually even that Clb might be leery on. If they do trade Nash they need a 'franchise face' and Yakupov is the only one with that potential from a marketing and on-ice perspective)

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

If the Jackets trade Nash, there's no way they trade the number one pick unless it's a crazy offer, something I wouldn't want to pay the price for. The Jackets need to put bums in the seats and make some excitement in the town. Yakupov would do that for them.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:13 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Kostitsyn essentially does nothing for Columbus as he is a pending UFA and will not re-sign with the Blue Jackets.

Depending how high the Blue Jackets are on the likes of Dumba, Trouba, Forsberg, for them to consider moving the pick to Montreal it would take Beaulieu, Leblanc, Gallagher and the Montreal's 1st.

Acquiring the top pick in the draft is never cheap. That is why those picks are rarely ever moved because most are not willing to pay the ransom to get it.

Now, let me ask you this, if hypothetically the Canadiens did get the top pick, do they opt for Grigorenko? Thinking he may be the big skilled center in the mold of Malkin and also thinking down the road that perhaps his junior coach ROY may be a candidate to coach the Canadiens? Would seem like a fit, no?

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
That's probably the most intelligent thing that's been said in this thread so far.

Every year people boast about how awesome the first overall pick is and every year people talk about how the price to actually acquire it is insane and this year is going to be no different.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Dharvey33

I'd be more than happy with Galchenyuk Forsberg or Trouba they may pan out to have more succes than Yakupov. Montreal would surely ask the price for the 1st overall but Subban or paciorrety would be asked and they would say no thanks.

Old
02-18-2012, 10:49 PM
sal00

Somehow I feel that Yakupov will ideally pan out to be Kovalchuk (pre NJ) while Grigorenko will be more like Malkin. From what BMac has been mentioning Roy has really been pushing Grigorenko's development path to be more like Malkin's style of a complete (two way) player.

If a deal like this were to be made, it'll make more sense to deal for the 2nd overall instead. That's based on the condition if Habs really are trying to get Roy to be their head coach. He has been working with Grigorenko during juniors and can really speed his development.

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

The first overall pick doesn't get moved very much. It was traded in 2002 and 2003. (Didn't look any further back than that). I guess it goes to show how expensive the price can be.

Last edited by loadie: 02-18-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Correcting errors.
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:58 PM
rUmX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
you think a 4th round pick would move you up to the 1st overall pick...?
Ummm what?

Anyway, I would give a prospect and a 2nd + our 2012 first for the first overall. Nothing more.

rUmX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:03 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rUmX View Post
Ummm what?

Anyway, I would give a prospect and a 2nd + our 2012 first for the first overall. Nothing more.
Then you probably wouldn't get first overall. The Leafs paid close to that amount to move from 7th to 5th in 2008. It cost them a 2nd + 3rd.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Crazed Fan

Columbus is gun shy with Yakapov??

Why would a terrible team not want a great, young player?

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote