Notices

Bruins 2012 Trade Deadline Moves PART II

Old
02-18-2012, 10:21 PM
FutureConsiderations

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Consequently it would behoove Columbus to deal him over the summer.

I don't know who's going to want to take on that long a contract, though (with a NTC).
Cap has gone from 39M to 63M in just 6 years. Realistically, the cap might be 100M by the time his contract expires.

Columbus is certainly going to move him before next October because they can't afford that payroll with the attendance that comes from being in 30th place.

I also have to wonder... if CBJ gets the #1 pick, do they trade it? Before you laugh, consider that Naill Yakupov is at least 3 years away from NHL stardom, they have an absolutely disgusting draft record, and they've asked their fans to invest their hopes in three failed Russians before: Filatov, Zherdev, and Klesla. This team has had a top-ten pick in all but one year of their history and they have very, very little to show for it.

If they trade Nash, Carter, and Naill, a long-term rebuild could happen almost overnight.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Cap has gone from 39M to 63M in just 6 years. Realistically, the cap might be 100M by the time his contract expires.
A few days ago on Felger & Mazz they speculated that the Bruins' management might already know that the cap will go down with the new CBA, which is why they offered contracts to all their UFAs.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Lobster57
#nofreepasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Kyle Beach Lou? The same Kyle Beach that called Lucic a hunchback in junior and who subsequently got his ass kicked by Milan?

Yeah, trading for him isn't happening brother.
Kind of like when there was no way Pouliot, who picked a fight with Krejci would be accepted by the Bruins. I doubt professional hockey players lose too much sleep over the trash talk that goes on in a game.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:31 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Chiarelli and Neely both said in radio interviews this week that they expect him back.
And this time last year the Pens were expecting Crosby to come back. Concussions are weird and unpredictable. They aren't like a broken bone or even an ankle sprain where there is a fairly set, expected and predictable recovery period. You just don't know.

That's why Chia needs to trade for a top six winger and assume Horton won't be back. If Horton does come back, then I am okay with Pouliot at the 13th forward.

Not really sure I want to see them get Carter though. I agree that Carter doesn't seem to be a good lockerroom guy, but you never know. Ference was accused of being a lockerroom cancer at one point, but he appears to be a huge team player and lockerroom guy to me.

Also not sure Carter would adjust to Julien, but he is a good goal scorer and I could see him working some magic with Krejci.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
Kind of like when there was no way Pouliot, who picked a fight with Krejci would be accepted by the Bruins. I doubt professional hockey players lose too much sleep over the trash talk that goes on in a game.
I don't know about that. What happened between Pouliot and Krejci happens every night in the NHL, and Pouliot actually held up when he saw Krejci was hurt. Beach, from all accounts, is a **** who insulted Lucic in a highly personal and disgusting manner.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:38 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
OK, here is my plan for the Bruins...

Deal Spooner and a #1 for Carter this deadline....then in the summer deal Thomas to Chicago for their #1, Beach and Clendening...sign Gaustad 3 years, 8.4 mil, put Savard on LTIR...

12-13 Bruins....

Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin- 11.05mil
Lucic-DK-Horton- 13.25 mil
Peverley-Gaustad-J.Carter- 10.35 mil
Beach-Campbell-Thornton- 3.77 mil

Chara-Boychuk-10.37 mil
Seidenberg-(4 million dollar defenseman)- 7.25
Ference-McQuaid- 3.85 mil

Rask-Khudobin- 3.3875 mil

Following summer let Horton walk, divide his 4 mil up for raises for Lucic and Marchand (Seguin should be at 3.5 as is already)..elevate Cater to Horton's spot and Caron/Knight to the 3rd line.

Under the cap...see how easy? HAHA
Since I really don't think Carter puts this team over the top, I'd pass. Rather than pay him and Gaustad, I'd go hard after Parise in the summer. At that point, I'd be open to moving Thomas, looking for a first and a D prospect, so that Chicago deal (replace Beach with someone else) would work for me.

End up with a team like

Lucic-DK-Parise- 16.25 mil
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin- 11.05mil
Knight/Spooner/Caron-Peverley-Horton- 8.25 mil
Paille-Campbell-Thornton- 3.77 mil

Chara-Boychuk-10.37 mil
Seidenberg-Hamilton- 4.50 mil
Ference-McQuaid- 3.85 mil

Rask-Khudobin- 5 mil

About $63 million. So that's under the current cap, as long as it doesn't go down significantly.

After next year, Horton walks, one of the other 3 (Knight/Spooner/Caron/Khokhlachev) move into that spot, and the money gets split up for raises.

Added bonus, you keep your first, have 2 firsts for next year, and add Clendening. If Clendening can move up, he could replace Ference after 2012-13, which saves more money.

As far as this season goes, you just pray for health.

kman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
And this time last year the Pens were expecting Crosby to come back. Concussions are weird and unpredictable. They aren't like a broken bone or even an ankle sprain where there is a fairly set, expected and predictable recovery period. You just don't know.

That's why Chia needs to trade for a top six winger and assume Horton won't be back. If Horton does come back, then I am okay with Pouliot at the 13th forward.

Not really sure I want to see them get Carter though. I agree that Carter doesn't seem to be a good lockerroom guy, but you never know. Ference was accused of being a lockerroom cancer at one point, but he appears to be a huge team player and lockerroom guy to me.

Also not sure Carter would adjust to Julien, but he is a good goal scorer and I could see him working some magic with Krejci.
Only one person I know of ever accused Ference of such a thing, which tells me it was nonsense.

As for Horton, I'm presuming Chiarelli and Neely know more than I do, for better or for worse, and are proceding in the best interest of the team.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:44 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
I was never a fan of Pouliot fighting Krejci, but even I have to admit that David was the one who picked that fight. And that's not even close to what Beach did to Lucic. By all accounts Lucic's condition is not something he will tolerate insults about. The Bruins won't trade for Beach.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 10:52 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
A few days ago on Felger & Mazz they speculated that the Bruins' management might already know that the cap will go down with the new CBA, which is why they offered contracts to all their UFAs.
Yeah, I've heard this since July. Felger and Mazz, as much as they've improved, aren't insiders and honestly rank below "Glen Canadian Columnist" on their knowledge of how the NHL works.

It could go down, but there's a lot more talk about an "out" clause being implemented for amnesty from one contract every few years. From a negotiation standpoint, these would be mutually exclusive. You can't get both lower salaries and an out clause, especially from a league that has made very questionable investments.

But overall, there's a lot more buzz about the clause than the cap. This would probably be closer to the real reason why the Bruins don't want to go nuts: because they anticipate the best free agent crop since the lockout hitting the market.

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 02-18-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old
02-18-2012, 10:54 PM
mrjiggyfly

I was totally okay with thanking Michael Ryder for helping us win the Cup and parting ways with him. But I would really like to have him back now.

mrjiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:16 PM
BadBruins

I've never been a fan of Carter's game. He'd instantly be the best goal scorer on this team however. 36, 33, and 46 goals in the three years before joining that mess in Columbus. He's actually scoring goals at a better clip than Rick Nash in the same situation.

Obviously the length of the contract is not ideal, but at least the cap hit is manageable. Providing he's continues to be a 30-40 goal scorer in future, I'm sure he'll still carry value 3-4 years down the road.

I'm not sure Chiarelli is quite that desperate yet though. I can't see him taking on that whale of a contract unless he knows something about Horton's situation that we don't. It's just not his style.

BadBruins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cartmenez View Post
The "talent" value for Carter might be great at the moment (at least if the talks about a low 1st and something like Spooner/Knight/Koko + maybe Caron are accurate), but first of all, you can't like the remaining length of Carters contract and secondly his value outside of the ice is horrible. Guy doesn't scream "great clubhouse guy" to me. Don't know if I want that.

Maybe the Leafs should pull the trigger, they are in the need of a C between Kessel and Lupul. But a playmaking C would be better for them.
I know Richards was a party guy. What was Carter's deal? Only remember rumors regarding Hartnell's wife. He seemed to be on the trade block clear back to when Chia wanted to deal Kessel for Kaberle and TO's 1st at the draft. Seems like a decade ago. Not to mention he's seemingly always injured. Last thing you want is to finally make a big move for talent, and end up w/ Danny Heatley Jr.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjiggyfly View Post
I was totally okay with thanking Michael Ryder for helping us win the Cup and parting ways with him. But I would really like to have him back now.
Me too but he is not coming back to Boston.

IMO it was a mistake to let him go which is made worse by the loss of Pevs and Horts.

02-18-2012, 11:22 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
I was never a fan of Pouliot fighting Krejci, but even I have to admit that David was the one who picked that fight. And that's not even close to what Beach did to Lucic. By all accounts Lucic's condition is not something he will tolerate insults about. The Bruins won't trade for Beach.
alright then how about this ******* move? No way he'd ever be accepted after that.

I'm sure Lucic is over it..you might as well get over it too. These guys are professionals, they understand the competition and know how to get over things real quick when they have to work together....and Kyle Beach certainly isn't the only one who's ever made fun of Lucic's back, nor will he be going forward. This wouldn't be Matt Cooke, Alex Burrows, or PK Subban they're adding to the locker room here.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:26 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
alright then how about this ******* move?

I'm sure Lucic is over it..you might as well get over it too.
I'm far from Pouliot's biggest fan. Very far. But that type of insult is not something Lucic is likely to "get over" anytime soon.

But whatever. Forget the fact that Beach is one of the Hawks best prospects and they'll just ship him to us at the drop of a hat.

He's not coming here for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is the automatic chemistry problem he would create.

BigBadBruin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Yeah, I've heard this since July. Felger and Mazz, as much as they've improved, aren't insiders and honestly rank below "Glen Canadian Columnist" on their knowledge of how the NHL works.

It could go down, but there's a lot more talk about an "out" clause being implemented for amnesty from one contract every few years. From a negotiation standpoint, these would be mutually exclusive. You can't get both lower salaries and an out clause, especially from a league that has made very questionable investments.

But overall, there's a lot more buzz about the clause than the cap. This would probably be closer to the real reason why the Bruins don't want to go nuts: because they anticipate the best free agent crop since the lockout hitting the market.
Tonight on HNIC they mentioned that most gm's think the cap is going down and that's why there will be difficulty trading Carter or Nash.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:46 PM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

I say blow it up and rebuild.

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 11:52 PM
thepootamis

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphdasmurf2 View Post
I say blow it up and rebuild.

thepootamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:00 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Consequently it would behoove Columbus to deal him over the summer.

I don't know who's going to want to take on that long a contract, though (with a NTC).
Carter doesn't have a NTC.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/02/04...o-trade-clause

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:03 AM
thepootamis

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-tal...8&feedID=10428

thepootamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
Can't say I disagree w/ anything he said.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Alicat
Charge!

I don't want Jeff Carter anywhere near my locker room. People think the room is messed up now I'd hate to see what happens to it when he comes in.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I don't want Jeff Carter anywhere near my locker room. People think the room is messed up now I'd hate to see what happens to it when he comes in.
I started looking in the Philly forums, gave up. Why will no one expound on this? What exactly are the rumors? If that doesn't jive w/ HF's rules...someone pm me, driving me nuts.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepootamis View Post
Oh come on I even put the sarcasm face in there

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:50 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Tonight on HNIC they mentioned that most gm's think the cap is going down and that's why there will be difficulty trading Carter or Nash.
But something's gotta give. If the cap goes down, I would suspect players will all take a haircut. They can't just lower the cap to put half the league over the upper limit, it would cause mayhem.