Old
02-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
But something's gotta give. If the cap goes down, I would suspect players will all take a haircut. They can't just lower the cap to put half the league over the upper limit, it would cause mayhem.
Been warning about this for over a year.

Players aren't earning what they are contracted for anyways. The cap is artificially high because the NHLPA invoked the escalator on the cap.

For Example, since 2008, players did not receive their escrow back of 12% because the league didn't reach the revenues required to cover the cap.

Example. A player that has a $5 Million contract actually only earned $4,400,000

There could very easily be a 12% rollback in salaries and not much the NHLPA can do about it unless they increase the players share of revenue currently at 56.6%.

Given the NFL and NBA are at 50%, I find it unlikely.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:06 AM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I started looking in the Philly forums, gave up. Why will no one expound on this? What exactly are the rumors? If that doesn't jive w/ HF's rules...someone pm me, driving me nuts.
Long story short the rumor was he became involved with Scott Hartnell's wife.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:27 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
But something's gotta give. If the cap goes down, I would suspect players will all take a haircut. They can't just lower the cap to put half the league over the upper limit, it would cause mayhem.
This is a safe bet. We will see a rollback just like last time. If the new CBA had a reduction to the cap across the board with now rollback in salaries "mayhem" would be an understatement.

I think we are headed to a lock out. Not a season ender but we'll probably lose 20 games. The NHL is going to want roll backs, reduced salary cap, a lower percentage of the revenues dedicated to player salary and contract term limits. That is a lot to ask and they won't be offering anything in return. Last time they could at least offer new free agent age limits.

It will be interesting. Don Fehr is not a guy to be ****ed with and Bettman is never a guy to turn down a fight.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post

Thanks sooshii.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:39 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Been warning about this for over a year.

Players aren't earning what they are contracted for anyways. The cap is artificially high because the NHLPA invoked the escalator on the cap.

For Example, since 2008, players did not receive their escrow back of 12% because the league didn't reach the revenues required to cover the cap.

Example. A player that has a $5 Million contract actually only earned $4,400,000

There could very easily be a 12% rollback in salaries and not much the NHLPA can do about it unless they increase the players share of revenue currently at 56.6%.

Given the NFL and NBA are at 50%, I find it unlikely.
Yup, this is my read as well.

Bottom line, though, is that there's no real excuse not to spend to the cap. If the upper limit drops, player salaries will go with it and they still have Savard's LTIR to play with.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:02 AM
GloveSave1
Back in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
True. Carter is one of the better pure goal scorers in the league, and his cap hit is very friendly (5.33 million or w/e), so that I like. Consistent 30 goal scorer and decent playoff resume.

I'd offer a 1st, Caron, another prospect like Spooner/Knight and Pouliot or something.
The 1st, Caron, and Hamil. Done. That, and us taking the money and contract off their hands should be plenty. I'm not giving up a top five prospect when we can give them a first and two NHL ready young players. Good haul for a rebuilding, Columbus, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Carter - Kelly - Peverley
Paille - Campell - Thornton
Pouliot

Hell yeah going into playoffs
So sick.

I know some would say Carter can't be on L3, but that line is such a nice fit. Lightning bugs. Fantastic.

Oh, and I couldn't care less if he's an a-hole. I think Chara runs a tight ship. He'd fall in line...

Would you want Big Z mad at you?!
No way.

Man, the PK. Short-handed goals. Wow. Would be awesome. It all works.

Make your money in the clutch, Chia.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:16 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
The 1st, Caron, and Hamil. Done. That, and us taking the money and contract off their hands should be plenty. I'm not giving up a top five prospect when we can give them a first and two NHL ready young players. Good haul for a rebuilding, Columbus, IMO.

So sick.

I know some would say Carter can't be on L3, but that line is such a nice fit. Lightning bugs. Fantastic.

Oh, and I couldn't care less if he's an a-hole. I think Chara runs a tight ship. He'd fall in line...

Would you want Big Z mad at you?!
No way.

Man, the PK. Short-handed goals. Wow. Would be awesome. It all works.

Make your money in the clutch, Chia.
Thats assuming Horton can make it back and Peverley gets back into game shape in time..Big ifs at moment,

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:08 AM
GloveSave1
Back in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Thats assuming Horton can make it back and Peverley gets back into game shape in time..Big ifs at moment,
Yeah, the Horton thing is a bit of a worry. I don't worry so much about Pevs getting back and contributing...Hopefully full-speed, but def something...

But what-ya-gonna-do? If things don't break our way, Chia isn't going to be able to wrangle his way out of it at the deadline. It would just be "what it is," for this season. Bringing in a guy like Carter for our pick, and two guys who probably don't figure in, would be doing a mighty-fine job IMO; and would certainly offset the sting of some bad breaks if they come up.

Worst case, I guess Carter would be Horton's replacement, and Chia could try to get a guy like Rolston or something at the deadline or through waivers to play L3 if Pevs didn't work out. We'd just have to scramble. But like I said, it's hard to imagine Pevs wouldn't at least be around.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:38 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Let me ask you this, if you're Chia and CBJ calls you with an offer:

"We'll give you a 2nd, Kristian Huselius, and Colton Gillies for Milan Lucic".

Do you make that deal? Because the way I see it, a late first rounder, Jordan Caron, and Zach Hamill in return for one of the league's premier goal scorer is just insulting. If you want Carter, you have to offer a better prospect than either Caron or Hamill in addition to the pick. CBJ would be looking for nothing less than one or two of Spooner, Knight, or Koko.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:16 AM
nmbr_24

I don't wany Carter on the team unless it is a steal. The guy plays like Joe Thornton with broken ribs when the playoffs roll around. I have never seen any player be so good in the regular season and so nonexistent in the playoffs than this guy, Thornton wasn't even this bad in Boston.

In the playoffs he looks slow and timid, and I'm not just talking about last year.

47 playoff games 13 goals-8 assists.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:21 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I don't wany Carter on the team unless it is a steal. The guy plays like Joe Thornton with broken ribs when the playoffs roll around. I have never seen any player be so good in the regular season and so nonexistent in the playoffs than this guy, Thornton wasn't even this bad in Boston.

In the playoffs he looks slow and timid, and I'm not just talking about last year.

47 playoff games 13 goals-8 assists.
In fairness, the guy has pretty much been injured or still recovering from injury every post season since he jumped into the league.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:23 AM
usual suspects

Quote:
Cap has gone from 39M to 63M in just 6 years. Realistically, the cap might be 100M by the time his contract expires.

Columbus is certainly going to move him before next October because they can't afford that payroll with the attendance that comes from being in 30th place.

I also have to wonder... if CBJ gets the #1 pick, do they trade it? Before you laugh, consider that Naill Yakupov is at least 3 years away from NHL stardom, they have an absolutely disgusting draft record, and they've asked their fans to invest their hopes in three failed Russians before: Filatov, Zherdev, and Klesla. This team has had a top-ten pick in all but one year of their history and they have very, very little to show for it.

If they trade Nash, Carter, and Naill, a long-term rebuild could happen almost overnight.
Klesla is a Czech

Their investment in Canadian players haven't been much better with: Leclaire, Picard, Brule and Brassard who at least is still with the team but well below where they thought he'd be.

Only recently with Johansen, Moore and Savard (wasn't a 1st) have they seemed to have landed some talent but again the jury is still out.

You are right, drafting was downright awful and any players that were somewhat decent they traded them like Voracek and guys like McQuaid, Russell.

The entire organization has been a huge miss in drafting and player development.

usual suspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:28 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
In fairness, the guy has pretty much been injured or still recovering from injury every post season since he jumped into the league.
I knew he was injured or coming back from an injury last year, Thay is why I said not just last year. I thought he was healthy for a couple of years though. If he was injured every year at playoff time, that raises questions about his durability as well, especially if he really was injured 6 straight seasons at the end of the season.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:20 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
I don't want Jeff Carter anywhere near my locker room. People think the room is messed up now I'd hate to see what happens to it when he comes in.
The media has never been able to produce any evidence that Tim Thomas' political stance affected the room. His teammates categorically deny it.

So, Carter would be joining a well knit group.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:27 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
The media has never been able to produce any evidence that Tim Thomas' political stance affected the room. His teammates categorically deny it.

So, Carter would be joining a well knit group.
Can`t stand the contract, I like the player when healthy.

Here`s my fence sitting with Carter (and I`m taking out the contract which isn`t realistic as it`s there and it isn`t going away)

Locker room/Off ice concern with attitude/committment from the way too many "stories/reports" we have all heard

Solution: This Bruins locker room has the kind of character/integrity/veteran players that "could" have Carter re-focus??

That said, the Jackets would have to sweeten the pie with their 1st round pick in order for me to take that messy contract off their hands

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:33 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Can`t stand the contract, I like the player when healthy.

Here`s my fence sitting with Carter (and I`m taking out the contract which isn`t realistic as it`s there and it isn`t going away)

Locker room/Off ice concern with attitude/committment from the way too many "stories/reports" we have all heard

Solution: This Bruins locker room has the kind of character/integrity/veteran players that "could" have Carter re-focus??

That said, the Jackets would have to sweeten the pie with their 1st round pick in order for me to take that messy contract off their hands
Is it the length or the cost that you dislike, ODAAT? Because personally $5.3M for a consistent 35~ goal scorer is a no-brainer. Yeah, he's got nine or ten years left on his contract, but he's only 27. If all goes according to plan (of course, it rarely does) we have a guaranteed 30 goals for the next 6-7 years.

Old
02-19-2012, 06:38 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
Is it the length or the cost that you dislike, ODAAT? Because personally $5.3M for a consistent 35~ goal scorer is a no-brainer. Yeah, he's got nine or ten years left on his contract, but he's only 27. If all goes according to plan (of course, it rarely does) we have a guaranteed 30 goals for the next 6-7 years.
The number doesn`t scare me Xtreme really, I`m really antsy with the length, in a perfect world, I`d like to see, and it`ll never happen, an "escape" clause for any deal over 5 years, with the option for the club to continue employing that player or terminating the contract.

Again, if the Jackets want to rid themselves of that contract, I approach it from the other side, THEY would have to sweeten the deal, THEY would have to provide a team with a really solid pick, or a high end prospect, if anything, injuries aside, Carter hasn`t exactly endeared himself with inspired play/attitude with the Jackets

Again though, my preference would be to see Chia not make any major pitches, sell the future for anyone who`d be a rental (obviously Carter is far from a rental), and I think that Howson will be asking for a ludicrous package for Carter. You watch, the Kings will get em, and the Kings will be saying 2 years from now, "what the heck did we do"?

Another issue is this, Carter has played almost 50 playoff games (nice experience), and sure he`s scored a few biggies against our boys (which I think sometimes clouds our judgement of him being a "clutch" guy), but realistically, he`s put up only 21 pts in those playoff games, not terribly impressive for a guy who logged a ton of ice time

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:11 AM
BrainOfJ
Diva

meh, the contract length doesn't scare me at all...he's signed until he's 36 I believe..so its not like a situation with kovalchuk where he's signed until he's 62.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

While i'm not in the " sky is falling " camp, people need to realize that Horton and Peverly will take time to regain their form. I'm worried about Horton and the Bruins NEED to have a plan B, here. If not, we might have a lot of troubles in the playoffs. Right now, David " On/Off " Krejci is showing an uncanned ability for disappearing when his team need him the most so we have one consistent scoring line ( Bergeron-Seguin-Marshmont). You can't survive with one scoring line and a blueline who doesn't seem to know how to play defense anymore. The Bruins are in a very tough spot.

Last edited by Latrappe: 02-19-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:20 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I really like the idea of Carter; he solves our problems up front IMO. When/If Horton & Peverley come back, our playoff depth is excellent. We could even balance out the three top lines; in no particular order:

Marchand-Bergeron-Peverley
Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Kelly-Carter-Seguin

I'm comfortable that our defense (using Corvo like we did Kaberle in last year's playoffs) is sufficient, though I'd like to see a veteran brought in to play the 7th man (maybe Steve Staios?).

WhamBamCam; I'd hire you to be my GM;
Seriously though, I love your plan going forward!! I might switch out Beach with Bryan Bickell though.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Long story short the rumor was he became involved with Scott Hartnell's wife.
That was just the tip of the iceberg. Carter is BFFs with Richards and reportedly the two of them were pretty legendary when it came to painting Philly crimson.

Carter's a good player, but he's been getting hurt more and more. Investing that many years in a guy who can't stay on the ice could be a problem.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 420
When is the actual deadline ?

I would expect Peter C. to do something. I trust he will do what is best. IN the past he has made more good moves than stupid ones.

I hate waiting and wish whatever is going to happen would soon.

02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
While i'm not in the " sky is falling " camp, people need to realize that Horton and Peverly will take time to regain their form. I'm worried about Horton and the Bruins NEED to have a plan B, here. If not, we might have a lot of troubles in the playoffs. Right now, David " On/Off " Krejci is showing an uncanned ability for disappearing when his team need him the most so we have one consistent scoring line ( Bergeron-Seguin-Marshmont). You can't survive with one scoring line and a blueline who doesn't seem to know how to play defense anymore. The Bruins are in a very tough spot.
Wait, so a player who in the regular season scores at a .72PPG pace, ups that to .85PPG in the postseason and his goal scoring goes up from .20 to .35 per game, is now a player who has an uncanny ability for disappearing when his team needs him most?

So what we're saying here is that his team needs him most during a nondescript stretch of regular season hockey with a playoff berth virtually assured....but not in the playoffs?

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:50 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post

...Another issue is this, Carter has played almost 50 playoff games (nice experience), and sure he`s scored a few biggies against our boys (which I think sometimes clouds our judgement of him being a "clutch" guy), but realistically, he`s put up only 21 pts in those playoff games, not terribly impressive for a guy who logged a ton of ice time...
I wonder how much injuries factored into his layoff production? Perhaps somebody who knows more about him could chime in.

He is terrific on the power-play and good in the face-off circle.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:54 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
I wonder how much injuries factored into his layoff production? Perhaps somebody who knows more about him could chime in.

He is terrific on the power-play and good in the face-off circle.
It's a possibility they do, but it's also possible that his style of play is more conducive to regular season hockey than playoff hockey. It's also possible that the wear of the regular season might leave him dealing with nagging injuries that affect his play every spring. I'm not sure it's a gamble I'd want to make given the contract and likely cost to acquire.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote