Notices

Bruins 2012 Trade Deadline Moves PART II

Old
02-19-2012, 07:59 AM
misterjaggers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
It's a possibility they do, but it's also possible that his style of play is more conducive to regular season hockey than playoff hockey. It's also possible that the wear of the regular season might leave him dealing with nagging injuries that affect his play every spring. I'm not sure it's a gamble I'd want to make given the contract and likely cost to acquire.
I think the price Howson gets will be significantly lower than what he paid. So, if Carter isn't a good fit, we ought to be able to unload him.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Wait, so a player who in the regular season scores at a .72PPG pace, ups that to .85PPG in the postseason and his goal scoring goes up from .20 to .35 per game, is now a player who has an uncanny ability for disappearing when his team needs him most?

So what we're saying here is that his team needs him most during a nondescript stretch of regular season hockey with a playoff berth virtually assured....but not in the playoffs?
Source, consider, etc.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:17 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
Is it the length or the cost that you dislike, ODAAT? Because personally $5.3M for a consistent 35~ goal scorer is a no-brainer. Yeah, he's got nine or ten years left on his contract, but he's only 27. If all goes according to plan (of course, it rarely does) we have a guaranteed 30 goals for the next 6-7 years.
We could buy out the last 3 years of Carter's contract for less than $5 million.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...darren-dreger/

Old
02-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
I think the price Howson gets will be significantly lower than what he paid. So, if Carter isn't a good fit, we ought to be able to unload him.
Considering the price he paid for Carter, it's better, IMHO, to keep him then to sell very low. I'm not sure either that Nash will be moved. There's very few teams on Nash's list and the price is very high. Considering the need that Columbus need to fill, they better wait in the off-season and discuss the matter with Nash to see if he's open to add more teams on his list.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:37 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Considering the price he paid for Carter, it's better, IMHO, to keep him then to sell very low. I'm not sure either that Nash will be moved. There's very few teams on Nash's list and the price is very high. Considering the need that Columbus need to fill, they better wait in the off-season and discuss the matter with Nash to see if he's open to add more teams on his list.
Although he's said he's available, I doubt Howson moves Nash unless the offer just blows him away. Carter, on the other hand, doesn't want to play for Columbus, so Howson really has no choice but to move him for whatever price he can get.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:53 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
But something's gotta give. If the cap goes down, I would suspect players will all take a haircut. They can't just lower the cap to put half the league over the upper limit, it would cause mayhem.
This is one reason why I doubt the cap will decrease. There are rules and then there are Ďrulesí. Wealthy teams who spend to the cap donít want the cap to go down and have potentially adverse effects on their rosters. Plus I find it highly unlikely (and somewhat foolish) that the NHL would demand a roll back in salaries after announcing record profits every year since the lockout.

A far more likely scenario is the cap stays stagnant for a year or two until revenues match the cap and some changes happen to the salary floor. The salary floor is the biggest issue and it what is killing teams. I would be shocked to see the cap go down, wealthy teams would not want it, players would fight it and I just donít believe the hype the media is creating regarding the new CBA. Remember when the salary cap was going to decrease 10 million during the first year of the recession?

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Although he's said he's available, I doubt Howson moves Nash unless the offer just blows him away. Carter, on the other hand, doesn't want to play for Columbus, so Howson really has no choice but to move him for whatever price he can get.
Very true. He didn't have an NTC so he had to report to Columbus no matter what but the motivation to play for them was never there. I must admit that it's pretty tough to be traded from a very good team to a bottom feeder.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by usual suspects View Post
Klesla is a Czech

Their investment in Canadian players haven't been much better with: Leclaire, Picard, Brule and Brassard who at least is still with the team but well below where they thought he'd be.

Only recently with Johansen, Moore and Savard (wasn't a 1st) have they seemed to have landed some talent but again the jury is still out.

You are right, drafting was downright awful and any players that were somewhat decent they traded them like Voracek and guys like McQuaid, Russell.

The entire organization has been a huge miss in drafting and player development.
My bad on Rusty. In that case, I think you tag them as European rather than Russian and throw Voracek in, as well. Portzline wrote that he wasn't popular in the locker room because he doesn't have a strong work ethic.

The North American picks haven't worked out either but they also haven't flamed out quite as spectacularly as your Filatovs and Zherdevs.

What do you think they could get for the #1 pick? A king's ransom? Trouble is, they'll have to clear space for that.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:10 AM
bostonphoenix

KPD wrote an article this morning in it he somewhat honestly suggest Rask-Lucic-Krejci for Nash....

Now, in my mind this is simply a terrible terrible trade that is needlessly made.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddacey View Post
KPD wrote an article this morning in it he somewhat honestly suggest Rask-Lucic-Krejci for Nash....

Now, in my mind this is simply a terrible terrible trade that is needlessly made.
Again, consider the source.

Imagine what the Bruins would look like if Dupont was the GM.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:

Well based on what Friedman said it sounded like Columbus asked for Hamilton, Rask, 1st for Nash so why on Earth would the Bruins make that offer?

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:

This is the same guy who said if he were the Hawks GM he would rather trade Patrick Kane (young PPG player) rather than Dustin Byfugilan (300lbs drunk boating champ). KPD sucks, who cares if he is in the HHOF? Being in the HHOF as a journalist is recognition you kept your job for a long time.

I do find it strange he is trading Rask considering he is trying to ‘run’ Thomas out of town

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
bostonphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Well based on what Friedman said it sounded like Columbus asked for Hamilton, Rask, 1st for Nash so why on Earth would the Bruins make that offer?
I wouldnt do the trade you put forth.

Nash is certainly a nice player. But cap wise it doesn't work. And Hamilton will be terrific.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
This is one reason why I doubt the cap will decrease. There are rules and then there are Ďrulesí. Wealthy teams who spend to the cap donít want the cap to go down and have potentially adverse effects on their rosters. Plus I find it highly unlikely (and somewhat foolish) that the NHL would demand a roll back in salaries after announcing record profits every year since the lockout.

A far more likely scenario is the cap stays stagnant for a year or two until revenues match the cap and some changes happen to the salary floor. The salary floor is the biggest issue and it what is killing teams. I would be shocked to see the cap go down, wealthy teams would not want it, players would fight it and I just donít believe the hype the media is creating regarding the new CBA. Remember when the salary cap was going to decrease 10 million during the first year of the recession?
The only argument I'll make with this finchster is that the cap hasn't been the cap since 2008. The owners were allowed to keep escrow because revenues didn't meet target to cover the players share.

In 2010-2011 for example, the cap was $62 Million. However, the actual salaries paid out by teams at the cap limit were $7.4 million less (12% escrow kept by the teams)

The Only way it can remain the same is if a) if the league has an increase of about $600 Million in revenue this season ($280 Million players share divided by 30 teams = $7.2 Million per team on the cap) or b) the NHL agrees to give the players more than the current 56.6% share to the players - highly unlikely given the NFL and NBA agreements

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Long story short the rumor was he became involved with Scott Hartnell's wife.
So?

Maybe she needed a shoulder to cry on. She did marry Ronald McDonald on crystal meth, man!

Kidding.

Yeah, that might cause some tension in the locker room. But then they also kept Hartnell and dealt Carter. That says something to me as well.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I think any GM with have a brain knows who is UFA this year and next and will work accordingly.

IMO, PC traded for Kaberle already knowing he would not sign him. ???

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
I just realized that the CBA expires in September and not right after the season. Does that mean this will likely be the last Summer where front loaded deals are still allowed?

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Again, consider the source.

Imagine what the Bruins would look like if Dupont was the GM.
DoMo-DoMo-DoMo
DoMo-DoMo
DoMo

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:24 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
The only argument I'll make with this finchster is that the cap hasn't been the cap since 2008. The owners were allowed to keep escrow because revenues didn't meet target to cover the players share.

In 2010-2011 for example, the cap was $62 Million. However, the actual salaries paid out by teams at the cap limit were $7.4 million less (12% escrow kept by the teams)

The Only way it can remain the same is if a) if the league has an increase of about $600 Million in revenue this season ($280 Million players share divided by 30 teams = $7.2 Million per team on the cap) or b) the NHL agrees to give the players more than the current 56.6% share to the players - highly unlikely given the NFL and NBA agreements
In your opinion do you see a lockout or an extension of the old CBA for the season while they hammer it out?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
DoMo-DoMo-DoMo
DoMo-DoMo
DoMo
Beat me to it haha

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
This is the same guy who said if he were the Hawks GM he would rather trade Patrick Kane (young PPG player) rather than Dustin Byfugilan (300lbs drunk boating champ). KPD sucks, who cares if he is in the HHOF? Being in the HHOF as a journalist is recognition you kept your job for a long time.

I do find it strange he is trading Rask considering he is trying to Ďruní Thomas out of town
Get rid of Rask and Thomas, bring in Roloson. Dream scenario for KPD.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
But something's gotta give. If the cap goes down, I would suspect players will all take a haircut. They can't just lower the cap to put half the league over the upper limit, it would cause mayhem.
I suspect they'll allow teams to buy out contracts and not be penalize on the cap for it.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Get rid of Rask and Thomas, bring in Roloson, and Hall for Horton+Seguin. Dream scenario for KPD.

Fixed.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
The win came with the NHL trade deadline just over a week away and during the national broadcast on NBC a lot was made of a meeting that Paul Gaustad had with Sabres GM Darcy Regier on Saturday. Gaustad has been the topic of trade speculation and following the game talked about his conversation with Regier. "I talked with Darcy but it was mostly about the team, our position, and where we are at right now as a team and how we are playing", said Gaustad. "About movement or anything like that my focus has always been to be in Buffalo. Focus where I'm at right now, can't control other stuff.", Gaustad continued.

Not exactly a 'We aren't trading you Paul".

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:36 PM
MoeLemay

I sure wish someone would trade a forward to set a price
and get the dominoes going.

MoeLemay is offline   Reply With Quote