HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo/Edmonton

Old
02-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Havok89

vCash: 500
Buffalo/Edmonton

For the purposes of this proposal, let's assume each team finishes in their current position, and this trade is made on draft day.

To Buffalo:

Edmonton first round pick (second overall)

To Edmonton

Buffalo first round pick (fourth overall)
Mark Pysyk
3rd round pick 2012

With Buffalo's glaring holes at center, this gives Buffalo the opportunity to draft Grigorenko, a highly skilled center the team has needed since Briere's departure. Buffalo can afford to give up a former first round pick, and Edmonton boy in Mark Pysyk, given their abundance of defense prospects.

Edmonton slightly moves down in the draft, and picks up that top defenseman such as Murray or Dumba that they need so desperately. With a loaded forward core of Hall, RNH, and Eberle, Edmonton should not be seeking another top forward in this draft. Edmonton also aquires a promising defense prospect.

Deal fills a glaring need for both teams, could it happen?

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:05 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Why doesn't Buffalo just keep their prospect and draft Galchenyuk? There's certainly a drop-off between Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, but the latter is still a great talent.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:12 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Like I said last year and the year before: The only kind of proposal involving Edmonton's 1st rounder that I'd like would be an obvious overpayment.

Edmonton would be way better off drafting Murray than making this deal.

If Buffalo did get 4th overall.... if they threw in their 2013 1st and second rounders it would certainly be more attractive, but I still wouldn't be sold. I really can't imagine a package that would blow my socks off enough to want to see Edmonton trade that pick of Buffalo.

Maybe Gilbert + Edmonton 1st for Myers + Buffalo first.

Of course I wouldn't expect Buffalo fans to accept that deal.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Why doesn't Buffalo just keep their prospect and draft Galchenyuk? There's certainly a drop-off between Grigorenko and Galchenyuk, but the latter is still a great talent.
The drop-off is that exact reason. Buffalo has tons of defense prospects to their disposal and if this deal gives Buffalo the better talent I feel it's worth it.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Like I said last year and the year before: The only kind of proposal involving Edmonton's 1st rounder that I'd like would be an obvious overpayment.

Edmonton would be way better off drafting Murray than making this deal.

If Buffalo did get 4th overall.... if they threw in their 2013 1st and second rounders it would certainly be more attractive, but I still wouldn't be sold. I really can't imagine a package that would blow my socks off enough to want to see Edmonton trade that pick of Buffalo.

Maybe Gilbert + Edmonton 1st for Myers + Buffalo first.

Of course I wouldn't expect Buffalo fans to accept that deal.
That is rediculous. Why would Edmonton get Buffalo's franchise dman to move down two spots?

If Edmonton made this trade, one of Murray / Dumba would still be available.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:20 AM
McTank

I think Edmonton takes this and runs, they get pysyk a recent 1st round dman and they draft Murray who they need more than grigs anyways, they get 2 top d prospects and don't really give anything up, they might not even draft grigs with the 2nd pick

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEYAREGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
I think Edmonton takes this and runs, they get pysyk a recent 1st round dman and they draft Murray who they need more than grigs anyways, they get 2 top d prospects and don't really give anything up, they might not even draft grigs with the 2nd pick
Would you do this from a Buffalo POV?

Old
02-19-2012, 12:24 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Probably, grigorenko would be huge for the organization, he may still be there 3rd overall, but if we end up with the 4th he definitely won't be there, it also depends how Galchenyuk performs when he comes back in march. I think it'd be a good deal for both teams but would definitely have to think about it

Old
02-19-2012, 12:29 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Probably, grigorenko would be huge for the organization, he may still be there 3rd overall, but if we end up with the 4th he definitely won't be there, it also depends how Galchenyuk performs when he comes back in march. I think it'd be a good deal for both teams but would definitely have to think about it
Assuming something drastic does not happen and the BJ's pick first overall I would say Grigorenko available at 3rd overall is a very good possibility.

Yakupov goes 1st to Columbus
Edmonton takes Murray with their second because they need a Dmen in their system with elite potential

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:32 AM
MagnumForce

Quote:
No, I would just take Galchenyuk or Forsberg (I know he is a LW but if he is the best player available, take him ). There is no guarantee that Edmonton would take Grigorenko. I think they are more likely to take Murray and would probably like to trade out of that spot.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:33 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Gosh, I hope you're wrong, if Grigo is the next Malkin then the Oilers need to take him. The Oil centers still aren't that strong/solid yet.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Gosh, I hope you're wrong, if Grigo is the next Malkin then the Oilers need to take him. The Oil centers still aren't that strong/solid yet.
I don't think he will be the next malkin, there's a good chance he will be a PPG player though, not to say Murray can't end up being a elite d man, I think it makes the most sence for Edmonton to make a deal like the OP and trade down a spot or two and grab some other assets

Old
02-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
No, I would just take Galchenyuk or Forsberg (I know he is a LW but if he is the best player available, take him ). There is no guarantee that Edmonton would take Grigorenko. I think they are more likely to take Murray and would probably like to trade out of that spot.
Don't want Forsberg. Already have Vanek and Ennis at LW.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:02 AM
zeus3007*

As an Oiler fan, I don't like it. Not that it isn't fair, but the guy I want in the draft is Ryan Murray, and he almost certainly will be drafted 2nd or 3rd. 4th leaves us with Matt Dumba, and I am not sold on his game translating. He relies so much on physical play in junior, and he isn't big enough to make an impact next year, and unless he puts on 30 pounds, he will need to change his style of play, and I don't know if he will be effective in that role. Long story short, as good as Pysyk is, with Klefbom, Marincin and hopefully Murray, he doesn't fill a hole that the Oilers would have, and risking losing out on being able to pick Murray is not worth it in my opinion.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:19 AM
MagnumForce

Quote:
Don't want Forsberg. Already have Vanek and Ennis at LW.
Ennis most likely will be playing Center next year. I agree that Buffalo needs a center and Grigorenko is intriguing, so I guess giving up Pysyk to get him would be feasible. But if for some strange reason Yakupov dropped to #4, would you not draft Yakupov because we already have Pominville and Kassian at RW?

Old
02-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ennis most likely will be playing Center next year. I agree that Buffalo needs a center and Grigorenko is intriguing, so I guess giving up Pysyk to get him would be feasible. But if for some strange reason Yakupov dropped to #4, would you not draft Yakupov because we already have Pominville and Kassian at RW?
If Yakupov somehow drops to 4th you absolutely have to take him no matter what. Yakupov is not a talent you leave on the table to address team need.

Yeah15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
If Yakupov somehow drops to 4th you absolutely have to take him no matter what. Yakupov is not a talent you leave on the table to address team need.
He won't be there at fourth.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
He won't be there at fourth.
Well duh, I was simply saying that if for some miracle he was available at 4th you obviously have to take him.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:43 AM
MagnumForce

Well with the way Buffalo is playing, maybe we will win the lottery and get the #1 pick. Then who would you take, Grigorenko which fills a need or Yakupov who is the more dynamic and coveted player.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:44 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Well duh, I was simply saying that if for some miracle he was available at 4th you obviously have to take him.
If and when the Oilers draft and Grigorenko is sitting there, he will be Oilers property. The Oilers are still very thin at the centre position. I want 2 bonafide centres. Use Gagner to get a top pairing dman and throw money Suter and Weber's way.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Well with the way Buffalo is playing, maybe we will win the lottery and get the #1 pick. Then who would you take, Grigorenko which fills a need or Yakupov who is the more dynamic and coveted player.
It's all on your scouting staff's philosophy. Some feel that no matter what you always have to go with best player available. But others feel that if the gap between two players isn't that large that you draft by position. Personally, I would go with Yakupov, the best player available in my opinion. You can always make trades in the future, but you'll be kicking yourself if you don't go with BPA and it turns out that the player you drafted doesn't have half the value that the BPA does.

Old
02-19-2012, 01:58 AM
voxel

I doubt Buffalo has to give up a prospect like Pysyk to move up a few spots. Probably a 2nd and 3rd depending how many spots. Maybe 2013 2nd and 3rds because that is supposedly a deeper draft.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I doubt Buffalo has to give up a prospect like Pysyk to move up a few spots. Probably a 2nd and 3rd depending how many spots. Maybe 2013 2nd and 3rds because that is supposedly a deeper draft.
There's absolutely no chance that the Oilers would move down from Grigorenko or Ryan Murray to a player like Dumba for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Old
02-19-2012, 02:14 AM
oilwings

Oilers keep the pick and take either Yakupov or Grigorenko.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:57 AM
oilinblood

first off OP, just wanted to say that that was a decent proposal.

from the stand point of moving down in the draft; i have heard ALOT of players on draft day paying attention to what a team does to aquire them. Moving down to pick a player NEVER looks good and will be remembered by that player. This has been stated over and over by drafted players especially in the top of the draft. In other words if you really want... so and so... use your pick and take him or basically tell him you dont mind risking losing him and he is no different than everyone else.
if you trade the pick and move down, you better advertise that you had verbal or written guarantees from other teams they wouldnt take him. lie if you have to.

so i wouldnt be against moving down in the draft a couple of spots but it never works out for teams unless they have arranged guarantees (brian burke etc and let it be known burke immediately let the press and sedins know he was having the teams sign contracts stating they wouldnt take the sedins and that they were never really available to the other teams.)
In the history of the nhl its really a weak move. To me a team would have to over pay for the circus and hit to the rep. If im hall and i watch my team trade 2nd to draft 4th just to pick a guy they could have taken at 2nd...i say they are classless. my opinion. If im the drafted player i go "well i guess they were willing to lose me so im not really their guy. maybe ill go back in the draft. i dont have to even negotiate with them and i can go 1st over all next time/

For the above reason, even if a team over paid, i dont see the oilers sitting down eberle and hall and rnh at the draft table and having all the young guys tweeting tambo like usual as they watch from home live just to see the oilers try to weasel an extra pick and player. If you want a player pick him. do what you want with the other picks but i dont see the oilers ever dropping their own top spot.

that being said i think the op trade recognizes not only the rankings of nail...drop off...grigs...drop off, plus takes into account a premium necessary to save face in an otherwise gutless move.

as far as i know the oilers are not changing their tune of draft philosophy. BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Draft the best player and manage the assets properly. If they have 20 NHL forwards well thats the GMs fault for not moving some when their value is high. BPA and then management.
I trust in the oilers scouts to make the list of BPAs.
also the oilers have stated that their 1st picks will ALWAYS be BPA but that they will shift to needs in other parts of the drafts if there is reasonable proximity in their list. Klefblom was a player they lept 4 forwards to take and had to debate between him and another very close d near the same ranking.
Also i wouldnt expect our d to change next year, as atrocious as it has been

Smid Gilbert
Whitney Petry
Sutton Barker
Peckham
Tuebert
Marincin
Klefblom
musil

I expect Barker or peckham to be traded but also a ufa to be signed. Petry could be trade bait for an upgrade somewhere.Other than that i dont see a rook making out 2012-13 lineup on D. Everyone is signed and sealed.

BTW who do people think is our #2 centre? We dont have one. Gags is good but dont count on huge production or for his line to do much if he isnt playing like a demon , or if teams like the black hawks dont choose to play russian roulette and open up the game to beer league shinny like play.

btw there is alot of history of moving down in the draft...

Last edited by oilinblood: 02-19-2012 at 04:21 AM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote