HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo/Edmonton

Old
02-19-2012, 03:39 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

vCash: 500
This is one of the better proposals I've seen. Buffalo has a plethora of defensemen, with Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera & McNabb almost locks to make up the top-4 for the forseeable future. Add to that top AHL guys like Schiestel, Brennan and Finley, and the top-6 should be set for a while, even without Pysyk. So from our point of view, you're giving up a good prospect from a position of strength and a third to grab a franchise player from a position of need.

Edmonton maximizes their assets, trading down two spots, grabbing a good prospect and an extra draft pick and most likely getting the guy they'd take if they stayed at their pick anyway.

If I were either GM, I'd take a real good look at making this move.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:09 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
This is one of the better proposals I've seen. Buffalo has a plethora of defensemen, with Myers, Ehrhoff, Sekera & McNabb almost locks to make up the top-4 for the forseeable future. Add to that top AHL guys like Schiestel, Brennan and Finley, and the top-6 should be set for a while, even without Pysyk. So from our point of view, you're giving up a good prospect from a position of strength and a third to grab a franchise player from a position of need.

Edmonton maximizes their assets, trading down two spots, grabbing a good prospect and an extra draft pick and most likely getting the guy they'd take if they stayed at their pick anyway.

If I were either GM, I'd take a real good look at making this move.
This simply isn't true. Do you think the equivalent of an early 2nd and 3rd makes up for the difference between Malkin and Barker? (I'm not saying Murray will be a bust). There's simply too big of a drop off between 2 and 4 to even consider doing this deal. As was posted earlier, if Buffalo were to add in Myers and us add Gilbert or Whitney, then it makes sense for us. Otherwise, Tambo would be an absolute idiot to trade down from 2 to 4 for that return.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:11 AM
nzoilerfan

EDM takes it and runs.

Pysyk is a great defensive prospect and a EDM product.
They still get a shot at Murray or Dumba. So thats two elite elite level defensive prospects they can add with one move. Plus they get a another 3rd rounder to maybe maybe package back up with some other picks and move back into the first round again and grab a good power forward RW If there is one available. Hemsky might yet get a first round pick so EDM could be in a position to really solidify the future this draft.

nzoilerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:14 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This simply isn't true. Do you think the equivalent of an early 2nd and 3rd makes up for the difference between Malkin and Barker? (I'm not saying Murray will be a bust). There's simply too big of a drop off between 2 and 4 to even consider doing this deal. As was posted earlier, if Buffalo were to add in Myers and us add Gilbert or Whitney, then it makes sense for us. Otherwise, Tambo would be an absolute idiot to trade down from 2 to 4 for that return.
If you guys continue to draft all offense you'll continue to get beat 5-2 day in and day out. This trade makes sense IMO.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:40 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
If you guys continue to draft all offense you'll continue to get beat 5-2 day in and day out. This trade makes sense IMO.
draft all offense? Because we didn't draft 2 dmen in the first 31 picks last year, as well as guys like Gernat right?... So no, it doesn't make sense

Old
02-20-2012, 04:09 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Every winning team has 2 'real' centres. The Oilers only have RNH. No way do they Oilers pass up a franchise centre. Use Gagner and possibly Hemsky to get some dmen.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:02 AM
HiddenInLight

I know that its not dealing with standings now, but if the sabres finish with the 3rd pick, what would it take to swap up to number two if the oilers stay where they are now?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:16 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I know that its not dealing with standings now, but if the sabres finish with the 3rd pick, what would it take to swap up to number two if the oilers stay where they are now?
Quite a lot. The difference between the top 2 and the rest of the pack is fairly large

Old
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Quite a lot. The difference between the top 2 and the rest of the pack is fairly large
I don't think thats true at all. Ryan Murray is a potential franchise defenseman, and closer to the #2 spot than Grigorenko is to #1. So if the Oilers want Murray, then I don`t think it would take much to drop down one spot.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I don't think thats true at all. Ryan Murray is a potential franchise defenseman, and closer to the #2 spot than Grigorenko is to #1. So if the Oilers want Murray, then I don`t think it would take much to drop down one spot.
I disagree..I think there's Yakopov and Grigorenko at 1 and 2, then a dropoff to 3-10 and then another dropoff....It would take a nice piece to go from 2 to 3, a smaller piece to move anywhere in the 3-10 range and another larger piece to go below 10th...Doesn't matter if the Oilers want Murray as a defenceman or not. Picking 2nd, take the BPA,,,and, depending on what the BJ's do, most likely Grigs is 2nd BPA available and the Oilers do. They still have too many holes to fill and just taking a good defenceman and leaving a top center on the table doesn't help.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Sure it is. If Edmonton wants Murray, why not trade down two spots, grab another sure-fire prospect and a pick and get him anyway?

It all depends what they want. Obviously, if they're set on Grigs, he's the pick. But if they decide that a package of Murray, Pysyk and a 3rd is better than Grigs (which isn't that far-fetched), they make the deal.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
I disagree..I think there's Yakopov and Grigorenko at 1 and 2, then a dropoff to 3-10 and then another dropoff....It would take a nice piece to go from 2 to 3, a smaller piece to move anywhere in the 3-10 range and another larger piece to go below 10th...Doesn't matter if the Oilers want Murray as a defenceman or not. Picking 2nd, take the BPA,,,and, depending on what the BJ's do, most likely Grigs is 2nd BPA available and the Oilers do. They still have too many holes to fill and just taking a good defenceman and leaving a top center on the table doesn't help.
A lot of top mock drafts show grigs in the 3-7 range. Galchenyuk is just as talented. Id rather just draft him at 3-4 range then negotiate with Edmonton. Some mock drafts before his injury had him at #3. Don't want another lazy Russian on my team.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:40 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't see much difference int he upside between Grigorenko and Murray at all, Murray might even end up the better player. He is clearly the best defenseman available, despite the HF love for Dumba and the scouting love for Reilly. These "Grigorenko = Malkin" comparisons have gotten out of hand. He's no closer to Yakupov than Landeskog was the RNH or Hedman was to Tavares. When the difference is so negligible as the Grigorenko-Murray, BPA doesn't apply, because its a toss up. Then you go for team need, and that's Murray more than Grigorenko (#1 defensemen are much harder to come by than #2 centers). If Buffalo prefers Grigorenko, good, I'll take their 2nd round pick in a side deal for us to leave him on the board for them (ECHL'er and Buffalo's 2nd rounder for ECHL'er and Edmonton not drafting Grigorenko at #2). That way we keep the 2nd overall pick and don't insult Murray by trading down. The real drops in talent are between #1 and #2, #4 and #5, and after #10.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
oilers92

whats to say grigorenko doesn't go to cbj so they have a center if they ship out carter and not nash?

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:21 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
whats to say grigorenko doesn't go to cbj so they have a center if they ship out carter and not nash?
If they lose the lottery, the might get Grigs. Even Howsen isn`t dumb enough to pass on Yakupov. Well. I should re-phrase that. If anyone is dumb enough to pass on Yakupov for Grigorenko, its Howsen. But I don`t think he does anyway.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I'd do this as an Edmonton fan.

If we could come out with Pysyk and Reinhart that would be great.

Two Oil Kings that could really steady up our defence.

Smid
Petry
Pysyk
Reinhart
Klefbom
Gilbert
Teubert

With Marincin, Gernat and Davidson on the way, moving forward is quite good.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote