HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#59: Blues @ Chicago Blackhawks - 11:30 am - NBC

Old
02-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Corn Baller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
I disagree. I think I crosscheck to the back is equally as bad. And again, you have to consider the fact that Petro is the star of the Blues.
Fine. For the sake of argument, assume that they're both equally bad. You address a cheap shot by fighting the guy fair and square. Doing anything less makes you just as bad as the original offender. The way to address one cheap shot isn't with another. Reaves is better than that, and he'd proven it until he hit Scott in the back of the head while he was down.

Corn Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
We got to start converting our chances though. I love the Blues hard work, but if they can't start finding ways to convert, I feel they will have a similar fate to those Nashville teams that made the playoffs the last few years. Low scoring, defensive dominant teams haven't been key players in the Cup Finals for a while now... a least from memory.
I agree, but I don't think this team is a classic low-scoring one (as in, they simply don't have the talent to score a lot). Losing McDonald has had a huge negative impact on this season's total offense and PP production. As long as we don't lose him again, I really don't see them as being any worse than "average" quality offensive, and with strong 5 on 5 play, good goaltending, and timely special teams that's good enough to get it done. It's not a lock, obviously, but nothing is a lock in the playoffs...only 1 team wins the Cup, and it usually takes some good fortune along the way for that team to come out on top.

We just need to see how this season/post-season play out, get the ownership situation settled, and then I think we'll see Armstrong make some final tweaks to the roster for next year after the season depending on how everything goes.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The best part about a game like this is the Blues are a young, learning team with a coach who isn't screaming at them but rather teaching them what it takes. It's not going to happen overnight where the Blues go from missing the playoffs 5 times in 6 years to winning the President's Trophy and the Cup all of a sudden.

As fans we've come to expect great things from this team because so many of the elements they have are good to great. Here was a game we lost that we spent another huge stretch of the game entirely shutting a quality team down at home in a game they desperately needed. We didn't finish. But I don't think any of us would disagree that we're talking about learning and improving on some things rather than talking about a flawed team. They play with great structure, generally very sharp and strong determination, they're getting great goaltending and great defensive play by all elements of the team, but they're not going to do it all at once. Detroit built it up institutionally over a period of years and now it's just ingrained in the culture. Now it's a matter of really focusing on those next levels of effort because every player on the team should see it clear as day how great the potential is if they can just clear one more hurdle.

They need to learn to bury their chances with a bit more poise and really not act like road games are things you can win 1-0. We know what happens when they score 3 goals.

I actually think it's a good thing they will get the opportunity to practice winning on the road. They need to do it to go anywhere in the playoffs, and just as they practice the same way they play, they need to use these upcoming games to teach themselves how to win consistently in other buildings. They've struggled to finish teams off. But the top line won't be shut down forever. If they get Steen back then he can go back up with Backes and Oshie and the second line can be McDonald-Berglund-Perron. Would very much like to see that lineup.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:00 PM
larek

that will be this team achilles- cannot finish and bury teams when they have a chance

one more winger with some scoring hands and this team COULD go a long ways right now(playoffs)

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:02 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
that will be this team achilles- cannot finish and bury teams when they have a chance

one more winger with some scoring hands and this team COULD go a long ways right now(playoffs)
I think a guy like Alex Steen would be a really nice addition. Wonder what it would take to get him.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Fred Murtz

Reaver fight is up on HF

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
I think a guy like Alex Steen would be a really nice addition. Wonder what it would take to get him.
i didnt see blues light it up when steen was in the lineup

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
24 points in 36 games is pretty good...

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

PocketNines and EastonBlues22,
I think we are all on the same page, we are just looking at these things at different points in time. Some of our posts look at the season to date, some are in game responses, some looking forward to the playoffs this year and some points projected out into next season. If we catalogued our posts into these slots, I bet they look quite similar. (not that I recommend us literally doing this, but rather quickly thinking about our key points in a time based, relational context.

Quote:
The whole 1st line performed better when Steen was in the lineup. It was in part due to the balancing of responsibilities.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:33 PM
execwrite

That's why I think this year is the "bridge" season where the young guys here get more experience, hopefully through a couple of playoff rounds, and then next season the final offensive pieces of the puzzle (Tarasenko, Schwartz) get here.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:40 PM
STLhockey91*

I honestly don't see why people here are only limiting the blues to the 2nd or 3rd round. I completely believe we can win the cup. I think the playoff experience component is overrated. If steen comes back, and if halak can play even close to how he played in montreal, then we can win the cup. I'm not afraid of chicago or nashville; only detroit really intimidates me.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
h22prelude93

Peters gets one game - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=617820

One stinking game!? Are you freaking kidding me!? What a bunch of BS... I bet if that was some other teams top player like Toews or Datsyuk getting crosschecked to the dome he would have gave him some discipline instead of this little slap on the wrist. There is no way one game gets the point across from a blow like that...just ridiculous!

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I don't think we can be too proud of the chippy ending of the game considering how pissed we were yesterday. Didn't see what Mayers did to initiate it but Petro gave him a really cheap slash on the back of the legs which instigated the scrum at the end. Reaves was incensed that Scott was going after the skill guys instead of fighting him and that's why he threw the extra punch on the ice but you still don't do that.
Then some of you question why Scott gave "Petro" a little shot?

LOL at the guy who said Scott is a piece of ****. Good to know you know nothing about John Scott. Maybe try watching the Hawks more than just in Blues games.
He will protect his teammates and is loved for it but pretty much never instigates and always prefers to actually fight another heavy. ... Case in point, check out yesterdays fight. A non heavy, Scott is engaged but doesn't drop em against the little guy until he takes one off the chin. ... Then he punishes a now deserving opponent. Same thing (pretty much) with Westgarth last year, Westgarth wanted to make a name and kept trying to get Scott to go, eventually Westgarth starts and ... Scott did him in. Afterword he seemed sad about it saying in interviews he did not want to go with the kid but he wouldn't back off so I have a job to do.

The cool thing about this (no matter which team you are rooting for) is the dirty play by Reeves will set the stage for a rematch. ... Good luck Mr. Reeves, you are going to need it.

For the record (you could already tell) I'm a Hawk fan, used to live in Chicago but loved road trips to St.Louis. Staying at a HoJo's that was within walking distance of the arena (Checkerdome) and drinking at the bar fans/players populated postgame that was between the hotel and arena. ... Love the passion of Blues fans. Lots of good memories, Hawks Jerseys and Blues jerseys having a beer (or 10) talking hockey.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:12 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Then some of you question why Scott gave "Petro" a little shot?

LOL at the guy who said Scott is a piece of ****. Good to know you know nothing about John Scott. Maybe try watching the Hawks more than just in Blues games.
He will protect his teammates and is loved for it but pretty much never instigates and always prefers to actually fight another heavy. ... Case in point, check out yesterdays fight. A non heavy, Scott is engaged but doesn't drop em against the little guy until he takes one off the chin. ... Then he punishes a now deserving opponent. Same thing (pretty much) with Westgarth last year, Westgarth wanted to make a name and kept trying to get Scott to go, eventually Westgarth starts and ... Scott did him in. Afterword he seemed sad about it saying in interviews he did not want to go with the kid but he wouldn't back off so I have a job to do.

The cool thing about this (no matter which team you are rooting for) is the dirty play by Reeves will set the stage for a rematch. ... Good luck Mr. Reeves, you are going to need it.

For the record (you could already tell) I'm a Hawk fan, used to live in Chicago but loved road trips to St.Louis. Staying at a HoJo's that was within walking distance of the arena (Checkerdome) and drinking at the bar fans/players populated postgame that was between the hotel and arena. ... Love the passion of Blues fans. Lots of good memories, Hawks Jerseys and Blues jerseys having a beer (or 10) talking hockey.
k, you can leave this forum now. I know plenty about all hockey fighters including John Scott, and enough to know he isn't the greatest individual. I don't care at all about this incident with Westgarth lol. You can continue to ride him over on the Blackhawks board though since you seem to enjoy it so much.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:27 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
I honestly don't see why people here are only limiting the blues to the 2nd or 3rd round. I completely believe we can win the cup. I think the playoff experience component is overrated. If steen comes back, and if halak can play even close to how he played in montreal, then we can win the cup. I'm not afraid of chicago or nashville; only detroit really intimidates me.
because we are realists and old enough to remember the 25 year streak with 25 years of let downs

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:32 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I agree with everyone else on how McDonald and Berlgund make a good partnership. If only Stewart would get back to what he is capable of doing and that line would be great. Tarasenko on that line next year should be very good if Stewart continues his slump next season.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Fred Murtz

Blunt comments from coach Hitchcock about some Blues players not competing and being exposed in Chicago game

http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocent...d=-5&id=158821

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
Blunt comments from coach Hitchcock about some Blues players not competing and being exposed in Chicago game

I'm glad he doesn't sugar coat anything, but at the same time he seems more disappointed than upset and mad, which I think the players respond to more.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:50 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post

This is the right coach for this team.

Thanks for the link. Everyone should watch it. He specifically thought the 1st and 3d lines (or rather that the Top 9 except the Berglund line) were not good enough and didn't dig in and compete hard enough on the road. He knows exactly what the issues are and he's right, the 1st and 3d lines didn't get enough pressure throughout the game to sustain a win.

What I like about that video is it shows he's got his finger on the right pulse and he's going to challenge the team and lay it bare for them. You only win important things in the league when you fully compete in the way it takes.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm glad he doesn't sugar coat anything, but at the same time he seems more disappointed than upset and mad, which I think the players respond to more.
He seemed a bit pissed to me. He was red faced, was trying not to say something he would regret and was a bit snappy. He obviously wasn't happy with the Backes or Arnott lines.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Linus

Quote:
Blues are now 0-6-1 in last 7 games against Central Division.
Quote:
Blues have scored 1 goal in 4 of last 6 road games. Scoring average on road fell from 2 gpg to 1.96 today. #stlblues
This isn't good enough.

On one hand, I feel that the players on the team have the ability to put up more goals. I want to see this group succeed. On the other, I can't expect it to magically happen and wonder that maybe there is a wall that they've hit on the road offensively. I know getting a 40 goal scorer is a pipedream but just think of this team with the addition of a player who can finish their chances. The lack of scoring is a obviously lot more frustrating when you're on the losing side of games. I'm really happy that the Blues have been on the better side of many one-goal games, but a little breathing room would be nice too. They've definitely dominated teams in several games in which they only won by a goal or two.

I'm glad Hitch is candid with his comments. I think that the players respect his opinion and won't take what he says lightly.

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
The best part about a game like this is the Blues are a young, learning team with a coach who isn't screaming at them but rather teaching them what it takes. It's not going to happen overnight where the Blues go from missing the playoffs 5 times in 6 years to winning the President's Trophy and the Cup all of a sudden.

As fans we've come to expect great things from this team because so many of the elements they have are good to great. Here was a game we lost that we spent another huge stretch of the game entirely shutting a quality team down at home in a game they desperately needed. We didn't finish. But I don't think any of us would disagree that we're talking about learning and improving on some things rather than talking about a flawed team. They play with great structure, generally very sharp and strong determination, they're getting great goaltending and great defensive play by all elements of the team, but they're not going to do it all at once. Detroit built it up institutionally over a period of years and now it's just ingrained in the culture. Now it's a matter of really focusing on those next levels of effort because every player on the team should see it clear as day how great the potential is if they can just clear one more hurdle.
I agree with your entire post, but especially with this.

A team doesn't learn to win simply by winning a lot of games. From a technical attitude, learning to win is being able to consistently do what you should do to win the game, throughout the game, regardless of what the other team is doing. From a mental standpoint, it involves even more...and those lessons often need to be learned the hard way, since winning has a way of masking/minimizing imperfections.

It's easy to forget that this team is very much learning on the job. Hitchcock was brought in 13 games into the season, so there was no off-season prep, no training camp, etc. It's one thing to realize (as an individual, or as a team) that there's a problem that needs to be fixed, another thing to learn what you need to do to fix it, a third thing to practice the fix sufficiently, and a fourth to be able to translate that to game situations without having to "think" about it.

All that takes a lot of time and energy, and there's almost always bumps in the road along the way. Teams like Detroit and Nashville have been honing their systems and compete levels for years. The Blues are just getting started.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-19-2012 at 06:06 PM.
EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 06:02 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
He seemed a bit pissed to me. He was red faced, was trying not to say something he would regret and was a bit snappy. He obviously wasn't happy with the Backes or Arnott lines.
Ok, yeah he was upset and mad, but I don't think he went into the locker room and just yelled at the players. That's what I was getting at, that's where Murray and Payne failed IMO, Hitch is better at getting his point across without being an ass about it. Like he said, Hitch is a teacher.

Old
02-19-2012, 06:28 PM
h22prelude93

So I'm guessing Clutterbuck gets nothing? Wouldn't we have heard something by now?

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
This is the right coach for this team.

Thanks for the link. Everyone should watch it. He specifically thought the 1st and 3d lines (or rather that the Top 9 except the Berglund line) were not good enough and didn't dig in and compete hard enough on the road. He knows exactly what the issues are and he's right, the 1st and 3d lines didn't get enough pressure throughout the game to sustain a win.

What I like about that video is it shows he's got his finger on the right pulse and he's going to challenge the team and lay it bare for them. You only win important things in the league when you fully compete in the way it takes.
Thanks for the link mate.

I completely agree. Hitch said all the right things, but more importantly, he said them in the right way. Didn't call out specific players, but made it very clear that this type of effort (our second and third periods) is unacceptable in this league if you want to win. As he said, you have to play a full 60 minutes. It doesn't matter if your first 20 looked the way ours did, you still have to play 60 minutes.

At this point, you have to think that Armstrong is looking long and hard at what he can do with Chris Stewart. Management has been blunt with the media since the All-Star break that he's a guy who needs to pick it up, Hitchcock has done what he can to try and get this kid to understand what it means/takes to compete and be a player in this league (yet still giving him the chance to prove himself) and Stewart just doesn't get it. Since AMac has come back I'm pretty sure Berglund has a point in like every game, yet Stewart has continued to suck.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that Stewart's hockey IQ is just super low. He can skate, and he has hands, but he doesn't know where to be when he needs to be there, and when he is where he needs to be, he generally makes the wrong read and gives the puck up to the other team. It's been interesting watching him play with Arnott, who is clearly -much- slower, yet is almost -always- in the correct position, and makes the proper reads with or without the puck. It's been....eye opening I suppose you could say. Now hopefully he won't kill his trade value too much so we can't pry Staal out of NY.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote