HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#59: Blues @ Chicago Blackhawks - 11:30 am - NBC

Old
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
bhawksladyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
k, you can leave this forum now. I know plenty about all hockey fighters including John Scott, and enough to know he isn't the greatest individual. I don't care at all about this incident with Westgarth lol. You can continue to ride him over on the Blackhawks board though since you seem to enjoy it so much.
After John Scott's fight in CBUS yesterday, he was annoyed he even had to fight Dorsett. He had no intentions to fight until provoked. And a cheap shot by Reaves definitely provoked him. I don't see how he'd be considered a POS. If anything, it would be the other way around.

bhawksladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:43 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
because we are realists and old enough to remember the 25 year streak with 25 years of let downs
if you're in a position like the blues are in, you have to believe that you can win the cup or you can just count yourself out come playoff time. our team is built very similarly to boston's and they won just last year, so lets just wait and see especially when steen comes back and helps the top 6 more.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawksladyfan View Post
After John Scott's fight in CBUS yesterday, he was annoyed he even had to fight Dorsett. He had no intentions to fight until provoked. And a cheap shot by Reaves definitely provoked him. I don't see how he'd be considered a POS. If anything, it would be the other way around.
No one here cares what sort of guy John Scott is. We care that he cross-checked an unsuspecting Pietrangelo (who wasn't doing anything at that point but standing there) in the back after the whistle. That's a dirty, dangerous play made by a fringe-NHL player on a franchise quality player. It's not the first time Pietrangelo has been targeted for dirty play, and it's been happening with increasing frequency lately. Backes was just cross-checked in the side of the head yesterday in a similar manner. Clutterbuck just ran Pietrangelo yesterday and got his elbow up into his face. We're kind of sensitive to that thing around here right now.

Reaves ended his fight with Scott with an even more dangerous, even dirtier play that most people here don't condone, and certainly aren't proud of. With that said, that's the first time I've ever seen Reaves even attempt to punch a guy when he was down, and believe me he's had plenty of opportunities, so you might factor that into your own take on Reaves' character if you're going to come over to our board to defend Scott's. Quid pro quo and all.

Given the circumstances, I have a hard time blaming Reaves. I don't condone it, but I understand his frustration. The constant cheap shots on Pietrangelo piss me off too, and they need to stop. What sort of idiot cheap shots the other team's star player after the whistle in the closing seconds of a decided game with the other team's enforcer is on the ice? He had to know something bad was going to happen.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
if you're in a position like the blues are in, you have to believe that you can win the cup or you can just count yourself out come playoff time. our team is built very similarly to boston's and they won just last year, so lets just wait and see especially when steen comes back and helps the top 6 more.
The players have to believe they can win, but the fans don't have to. Just wondering, when did you start really following the Blues? We have a really good team, but besides goaltending, it doesn't really compare to some of the teams that we had in the past. Just don't get your hopes up too high.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:57 PM
bhawksladyfan

Thanks for keeping it civil. I wasn't coming in here to troll or anything. Just wanted some honest conversation. So again, thanks.

I happened to miss the original cross check from Scott because I walked away for 5 seconds. I did hear that it had happened but didn't get a chance to actually see it. I'll try and see if I can find a video. I certainly wouldn't condone dangerous antics out of Scott. (or anyone)

As far as Reaves, I haven't seen him play much (besides against the Hawks this year) since hes been up with the Blues, but I saw him play a lot when he was in Peoria. (Distance wise, I'm pretty close). I honestly think he was ejected from almost every game I went to for dirty BS plays. And if he wasn't ejected he certainly spent a lot of time in the box. So that's where my opinion comes from.

I understand being sensitive to the BS going on, during out horrendous 9 game stretch, Toews had a big fat target on his back coming back from injury. It was absurd.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

He has averaged around 2-3 penalty minutes per game for his career...He didn't get ejected all the time. He's a fighter who made a mistake.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:32 PM
actionhank1786

Quote:
Thanks for keeping it civil. I wasn't coming in here to troll or anything. Just wanted some honest conversation. So again, thanks.

I happened to miss the original cross check from Scott because I walked away for 5 seconds. I did hear that it had happened but didn't get a chance to actually see it. I'll try and see if I can find a video. I certainly wouldn't condone dangerous antics out of Scott. (or anyone)

As far as Reaves, I haven't seen him play much (besides against the Hawks this year) since hes been up with the Blues, but I saw him play a lot when he was in Peoria. (Distance wise, I'm pretty close). I honestly think he was ejected from almost every game I went to for dirty BS plays. And if he wasn't ejected he certainly spent a lot of time in the box. So that's where my opinion comes from.

I understand being sensitive to the BS going on, during out horrendous 9 game stretch, Toews had a big fat target on his back coming back from injury. It was absurd.
I understand the idea of roughing up a star player to get their head out of the game, but it's getting ridiculous these days. Be it Toews, Pietrangelo, Backes, whoever. It needs to stop. I know the rough stuff is a part of the game, but these cheap shots after all the plays are getting old to watch.

:edit:
That wasn't targeted at you, or any team in particular. Just a genearl rant.

actionhank1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:

No problem. I'm here to talk hockey with people who like hockey. It doesn't really matter to me who they root for, as long as they're interested in the same.

The whole chain of events was pretty dumb, honestly. Mayers did something to Pietrangelo along the boards in the waning seconds. I have no idea what happened, because the boards block the action, but Pietrangelo goes down and isn't happy about it (which is pretty unusual, since Pietrangelo is an extremely good natured guy on the ice). From his butt on the ice, Pietrangelo gives Mayers a one handed slash across the back of the calves as he's skating away. Dirty, and potentially an escalation depending on what initially happened, but not really dangerous. A scrum ensues where not much of anything is going on until Scott cross-checks Pietrangelo from behind, presumably for the slash on Mayers, knocking him down. Again, dirty, and certainly more dangerous than the slash. Reaves then grapples Scott down from behind, a short and fairly uneventful fight ensues, when Reaves finishes things off with another dirty, and escalating play...by far the most dangerous of the sequence IMO. Not a lot to be proud of for anyone in there, IMO.

As far as Reaves goes, the AHL is a pretty dirty and dangerous league in general...moreso than the NHL, for sure. I'm not sure what Reaves felt like he had to do down there to earn his stripes or protect his teammates, but up here he's been a model citizen. He always hits clean, has always previously respected his fighting opponents if they were in a vulnerable position, and plays a remarkably disciplined game for an enforcer (41 games; 119 hits; 76 PIM; 10 fighting majors, 1 misconduct, and only 8 minor penalties all year...2 interference, 1 cross-checking, 3 roughing, 1 charge, 1 elbow, 0 instigators). Considering his physicality level when he plays, and his role on the team, he's been a veritable angel relative to most other players in similar roles around the league.

I'm sorry to hear that Toews is being targeted as well, and I'm sure that many other quality players around the league are in the same situation. It's not good for hockey, and I would get rid of it all in a second if I could.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:43 PM
brevard*

Quote:

Pietrangelo was not an innocent babe targeted by a goon, he had just finished delivering a two handed slash to the back of a Hawk players knees. Players who do that should either answer the bell or ... don't do that.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:48 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
The players have to believe they can win, but the fans don't have to. Just wondering, when did you start really following the Blues? We have a really good team, but besides goaltending, it doesn't really compare to some of the teams that we had in the past. Just don't get your hopes up too high.
ive been following the blues pretty much my entire life. ive watched them win the president's trophy and when they struggled after the lockout. i disagree with what i bolded above. i think the blues are similarly built to the team around 2000. i definitely think the blues have a realistic shot at winning the cup this year. im not saying im expecting them to, but i think they CAN. so im not going to count us out, and if you're a true fan, i don't expect you to count the blues out either.

if halak took a team like montreal to the eastern conference finals, then why can't halak take a team like the blues to the stanley cup? i think a lot of fans on this forum don't want to hear your **** about how were only going to make it to said round. we do have a shot with this team.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:51 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Answer the bell to a cross check...Just quit while you're ahead.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
ive been following the blues pretty much my entire life. ive watched them win the president's trophy and when they struggled after the lockout. i disagree with what i bolded above. i think the blues are similarly built to the team around 2000. i definitely think the blues have a realistic shot at winning the cup this year. im not saying im expecting them to, but i think they CAN. so im not going to count us out, and if you're a true fan, i don't expect you to count the blues out either.

if halak took a team like montreal to the eastern conference finals, then why can't halak take a team like the blues to the stanley cup? i think a lot of fans on this forum don't want to hear your **** about how were only going to make it to said round. we do have a shot with this team.
LOL, so only true fans are eternal optimists. As good as Pietrangelo is, he isn't on the level that MacInnis or Pronger was during some of those years. We don't have a Demitra type impact forward. Lets go back a few more years, we don't have a Hull, Oates, Gilmour, Janney, Federko, Unger, Shanahan type impact forward. The list can go on and on, this team simply doesn't compare to some of the teams in the past.

We need more consistency out of our offense before I say we can realistically challenge for the Cup. Can we make some noise, sure we can, but lets be realistic for a minute, we don't have the offense to beat some of these teams in a 7 game series.

There is a BIG difference between us and Boston. Boston has an elite offense, we do not. They had an elite offense last season, in the playoffs, and this season. We simply don't match up offensively. McDonald and Steen will help, but we still won't be where we need to be to win the Cup. We are just too inconsistent.

I also find it funny that you compare this team to the 2000 team. Remember how far they got?

I'm not saying that we don't have a chance, but there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans that just jumped on the bandwagon.

My feelings about the Blues are the same about Mizzou. If we get to the Final Four, I would be ecstatic, but I am in no way expecting it. These teams have let me down before and they will let me down in the future. The only way to be a sane Blues fan, is to always be somewhat of a pessimist and optimist at the same time. Being a Blues fan is similar to being a Cubs fan, just not as bad.

I don't want to get in a long drawn out back and forth. These are just my thoughts on being a fan.

PS: Being a true fan is continuing to have season tickets and sitting through all the Kitchen games.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:25 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
LOL, so only true fans are eternal optimists. As good as Pietrangelo is, he isn't on the level that MacInnis or Pronger was during some of those years. We don't have a Demitra type impact forward. Lets go back a few more years, we don't have a Hull, Oates, Gilmour, Janney, Federko, Unger, Shanahan type impact forward. The list can go on and on, this team simply doesn't compare to some of the teams in the past.

We need more consistency out of our offense before I say we can realistically challenge for the Cup. Can we make some noise, sure we can, but lets be realistic for a minute, we don't have the offense to beat some of these teams in a 7 game series.

There is a BIG difference between us and Boston. Boston has an elite offense, we do not. They had an elite offense last season, in the playoffs, and this season. We simply don't match up offensively. McDonald and Steen will help, but we still won't be where we need to be to win the Cup. We are just too inconsistent.

I also find it funny that you compare this team to the 2000 team. Remember how far they got?

i think our team is built pretty similarly to boston's forsure. boston doesn't have any "superstars" on offense except if you want to include tyler seguin. boston won because it had strong defense and strong goaltending from tim thomas while chipping away offensively and scoring about 2-3 goals a game while making teams really earn goals against thomas. you are acting like we are in no way shape or form similar to boston which is ridiculous because our team's structures are actually really really similar. the funny thing is, we have a good amount of points more than boston does, and if we stay at this pace, we will end up with a little more points than what boston ended up having last year, and we are in the almighty west.

also, just because our previous teams have lost in the playoffs does not mean that they didn't have a chance to win the cup and doesn't mean that we don't have a real chance. the only significance you could possibly bring up is the fact that we haven't won a cup in the past which indicates the likelihood of winning the cup. although that indication is important, that doesn't diminish the fact that we have a legitimate chance of winning the cup.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 02-19-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: no name calling!
Old
02-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Someone isn't less of a fan because they aren't always optimistic

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Drop the bickering you two. Keep the conversation civil.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:29 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Answer the bell to a cross check...Just quit while you're ahead.
The other poster seemed to insinuate that Pietrangelo was an innocent bystander minding his own business when he was crosschecked in the back. ... Reality is he had just delivered a two handed slash to the back of someones legs. ... Yes, if you want to do that then put your head on a swivel because someone might take exception.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:34 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:

I'm not saying that we don't have a chance, but there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans that just jumped on the bandwagon.

My feelings about the Blues are the same about Mizzou. If we get to the Final Four, I would be ecstatic, but I am in no way expecting it. These teams have let me down before and they will let me down in the future. The only way to be a sane Blues fan, is to always be somewhat of a pessimist and optimist at the same time. Being a Blues fan is similar to being a Cubs fan, just not as bad.

I don't want to get in a long drawn out back and forth. These are just my thoughts on being a fan.

PS: Being a true fan is continuing to have season tickets and sitting through all the Kitchen games.
You need to chill out a bit. True fans actually are optimistic most of the time. Whether it's always winning, or finding the little things in games which the players are improving on. With Edmonton, they've somewhat tanked the last few seasons, many of their fans know they won't make playoffs, so they want to see the players develop and progress. Watching the Blackhawks game, I wanted us to win, but if we didn't it wasn't the end of the world. We are successful right now, so I'm watching to see how Stewart progresses, since he's one of my favorite players and I don't want to see him get traded. So yes, we lost, but the plus I got out of the game was Stewart's play, and it looked good today, so I can't wait till the next game to watch him. Those are only two, very small, scenarios.

With the Pietrangelo comment, that's all optimism, so sorry for being excited for the way he's playing. I know he's not MacInnis or Pronger. It's really easy to name players. Lets say the Bruins, they don't have a Bourque, Esposito, Orr, or Neely but hey, they won the cup. And yes, I know those players are from different eras, so they didn't play together. The things that win championships defense, and specials teams. We have the defense, whether you'll except it or not, but we need work on the powerplay. In the end, skill has nothing to do with it. AKA Washington and Pittsburgh of late. It's about team chemistry as well, which gets well over-looked. That's my rant for now.

Oh, and I'm not a Cubs fan, but at least their fans can say they've won a championship.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:36 PM
brevard*

Quote:

I agree with this. (of course deep down I hope we kick your *****) The Blues (when they are ON) have more than 1 line that teams have to step up and play against. They have speed, skill and can survive playing tough playoff style hockey. There forwards come back to help and they play with emotion. And the kicker ... 2 rock solid netminders!
I am not yet convinced your D-man have it yet (more lack of experience than abilty) but the Blues playing well would scare a lot of teams.

Yeah, it's easy to say 1 round is good enough and of course you have to start somewhere right? But why not. ... Anyone can win on any given night. I think St. Louis has the talent.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
You need to chill out a bit. True fans actually are optimistic most of the time. Whether it's always winning, or finding the little things in games which the players are improving on. With Edmonton, they've somewhat tanked the last few seasons, many of their fans know they won't make playoffs, so they want to see the players develop and progress. Watching the Blackhawks game, I wanted us to win, but if we didn't it wasn't the end of the world. We are successful right now, so I'm watching to see how Stewart progresses, since he's one of my favorite players and I don't want to see him get traded. So yes, we lost, but the plus I got out of the game was Stewart's play, and it looked good today, so I can't wait till the next game to watch him. Those are only two, very small, scenarios.

With the Pietrangelo comment, that's all optimism, so sorry for being excited for the way he's playing. I know he's not MacInnis or Pronger. It's really easy to name players. Lets say the Bruins, they don't have a Bourque, Esposito, Orr, or Neely but hey, they won the cup. And yes, I know those players are from different eras, so they didn't play together. The things that win championships defense, and specials teams. We have the defense, whether you'll except it or not, but we need work on the powerplay. In the end, skill has nothing to do with it. AKA Washington and Pittsburgh of late. It's about team chemistry as well, which gets well over-looked. That's my rant for now.

Oh, and I'm not a Cubs fan, but at least their fans can say they've won a championship.
I honestly don't know what you have been reading, but I haven't been this huge debbie downer that you think I am. Majority of the posters here, think we will either get to the 2nd round or lose in the 1st because of Rinne. Most of the posters have the same thoughts as me on that topic.

I never said you were a Cubs fan, so I don't even know how you thought that.

Regarding Pietrangelo, I do think he is great and he will become a top 5 defenseman, I have never said he wouldn't. What I said was, he right now is not as good as Pronger or MacInnis when they were in their Norris days with us. That is nothing against Pietrangelo.

I'm not saying that we will never win, just this season, we most likely won't. The more experienced posters here, will most likely agree with that. Our window is just opening up now and will remain open. I believe this team will or at least can win the Cup in a season or 2, just not this season.

But, sure I guess reality doesn't make me a true fan. Shucks.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Our window is just opening up now and will remain open. I believe this team will or at least can win the Cup in a season or 2, just not this season.

But, sure I guess reality doesn't make me a true fan. Shucks.

What more do you want from this team at this point of the season? We are 4th in the ENTIRE league in points, and have found an established playoff coach. Although we do not have that much playoff experience, I think we definitely still have a chance with our veteran leadership in the locker room. If we get hot in the playoffs, then our lack of experience isn't going to stop us.

I guess we have to be in first place in the entire league up until March to earn enough hope that we can actually win the cup this year because 4th in the entire league isn't really good enough especially seeing as how Boston finished 7th in the entire league last year...

Old
02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
What more do you want from this team at this point of the season? We are 4th in the ENTIRE league in points, and have found an established playoff coach. Although we do not have that much playoff experience, I think we definitely still have a chance with our veteran leadership in the locker room. If we get hot in the playoffs, then our lack of experience isn't going to stop us.

I guess we have to be in first place in the entire league up until March to earn enough hope that we can actually win the cup this year because 4th in the entire league isn't really good enough especially seeing as how Boston finished 7th in the entire league last year...
Regular season standings means nothing in the playoffs. When we won the President's trophy, we were out in the 1st round. The playoffs are a completely different beast. Could we win, there is always a chance. Like I said earlier, Boston had an elite defense and offense. We lack consistency on offense to beat multiple elite teams in 7 game series.

We are most likely going to have to go through Nashville, then Detroit, then Vancouver/San Jose, and if we get through that play the East winner. Our offense, especially on the road is not consistent enough to win all of those.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:12 AM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Regular season standings means nothing in the playoffs. When we won the President's trophy, we were out in the 1st round. The playoffs are a completely different beast. Could we win, there is always a chance. Like I said earlier, Boston had an elite defense and offense. We lack consistency on offense to beat multiple elite teams in 7 game series.

We are most likely going to have to go through Nashville, then Detroit, then Vancouver/San Jose, and if we get through that play the East winner. Our offense, especially on the road is not consistent enough to win all of those.
I agree that regular season standings mean nothing come playoff time. When Boston finished 7th overall I don't think anyone said that they had an elite cup-contending defense. I have to say I agree that we lack consistency, but we can still win a 7-game series. Lets say we have to play Nashville, Rinne has started the majority of their games, come playoff time, he will be gassed. Plus, they barely get by us when they play us once or twice a month. I'd say we can win in 6 games. Now Detroit on the other hand worries me. Honestly, it's a toss-up. They've lost in the first or second rounds the past few years, so they might not even see us if we make the second round. If we split away games, we have the upperhand I belive. I'd say we can win in 7. With Vancouver/San Jose, I hope we play San Jose, then I won't be too worried. If it's Vancouver, I'd say it'll be like playing Detroit. And for the cup final, I hope it would be New York, because we seemed to own the puck the whole game we played with them.

Old
02-20-2012, 12:22 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I agree that regular season standings mean nothing come playoff time. When Boston finished 7th overall I don't think anyone said that they had an elite cup-contending defense. I have to say I agree that we lack consistency, but we can still win a 7-game series. Lets say we have to play Nashville, Rinne has started the majority of their games, come playoff time, he will be gassed. Plus, they barely get by us when they play us once or twice a month. I'd say we can win in 6 games. Now Detroit on the other hand worries me. Honestly, it's a toss-up. They've lost in the first or second rounds the past few years, so they might not even see us if we make the second round. If we split away games, we have the upperhand I belive. I'd say we can win in 7. With Vancouver/San Jose, I hope we play San Jose, then I won't be too worried. If it's Vancouver, I'd say it'll be like playing Detroit. And for the cup final, I hope it would be New York, because we seemed to own the puck the whole game we played with them.
Boston was 5th in goals last season and 2nd in goals against, they had an elite defense.

We may be built like Boston and in a few years, we will be when Tarasenko and Schwartz get here and add to the offense, but right now we perform more like a better version of Nashville. Until our offense proves they can be in the top 10, the comparison to Boston, just isn't true.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:10 AM
bhawksladyfan

I'm not going to start a thread on this, but I'm planning on coming to the game on March 6th. I was looking at ticketexchange. I found tickets in 101 and I see the rows are either a single letter or a double letter. (G)(GG)What is the difference? Thanks for the help in advance.

Old
02-20-2012, 02:18 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Single then double letters depicts the height of the seats.