HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Would Carter for Luongo work?

Old
02-19-2012, 03:00 PM
MTechnik
Showtime

vCash: 500
I rather have Luongo, you know someone that actually give a damn about playing hockey.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Straight up! Thought of this on the toilet and think it's actually great idea.

-Practically the same contract

-Columbus gets rid of a guy who doesn't want to play there.

-Vancouver gets a top 6 sniper who would be happy to play there.

-Columbus gets a goalie which they need badly, who I think would return to form with a fresh start and in a smaller market

-Vancouver finally turn to Schneider who is over ripe IMO

Thoughts?
Nope.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:17 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Lol so much fail in this thread. Luongo isn't going anywhere he's the core of the team along with the Sedins, Kesler and Edler.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
ProstheticConscience
not enough alcohol

Well, having thought about this proposal, I've come up with how it would be thought to work.

Luongo somehow managed to escape criticism during his days in Florida when his weaknesses were masked by the offensive juggernaut in front of him. All those years of consistently letting in terrible goals that kept them from dominating the East got neglected by the massive concentration of hockey media in Florida whose constant barrage of stories about their overpowering offense from their forwards and defensemen kept us all in the dark about Luongo's ineptitude.

Then came the day that Canucks fans rightly regard as Dave Nonis' worst mistake; he traded fan favourite and NHL goodwill ambassador Todd Bertuzzi to Florida for Luongo. Fortunately, Luongo found himself in a similar position here at first. With AV's up-tempo, offense-first system, the goals kept pouring into the opposition's net so he barely had to be competent to get wins. Vancouver being of course a small market team with no media attention helped keep the secret going for years, resulting in Vezina nominations as everyone just took it on faith that he was good because the Eastern media felt sympathetic to the Canucks and were desperate to portray anything related to the Canucks in a positive light to keep flagging interest in hockey going in BC.

Last year of course, the secret finally came out in the SCF. Despite having the Canucks' offense and PP send record-setting goal totals past Tim Thomas, Luongo still kept letting in bad goal after bad goal. The media was desperate to keep Luongo from being seen in any negative light, so they kept on playing up his sunny personality as being a counterpoint to the nasty, evil Tim Thomas, but to no avail. Even after the PP in front of him went rocketing out to a 6-0 lead in game 7 of the SCF, Luongo promptly allowed 7 goals in a 5 minute span to seal the deal and lose the game. Canucks fans sadly shook their heads and went home after neatly stacking their empty beer bottles at the corner of Granville and Georgia, and no mention of Luongo was made again.

Now this year, Luongo did his usual dominant performance in October to lull everyone into a false sense of security. The media of course just stuck around until Halloween, so our secret was safe again as Luongo is well known to only perform well in that month. We've been unable to deal him as every team in the league is set for goalies, and nobody wants either him of his equally useless backup Schneider. Keeping both of course violates the long-held NHL tradition that states when you have two goaltenders you're happy with (despite being obviously terrible), you must immediately get rid of one of them to anywhere that will take him. Carter for Lu is obviously a non-starter as when you've got such great chemistry between Nash and Carter, you just don't ruin that.

Obviously the case here.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Scott Hall
The Bad Guy

vCash: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Well, having thought about this proposal, I've come up with how it would be thought to work.

Obviously the case here.

Scott Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
thegutter

[QUOTE=ProstheticConscience;44449461]Well, having thought about this proposal, I've come up with how it would be thought to work.

Luongo somehow managed to escape criticism during his days in Florida when his weaknesses were masked by the offensive juggernaut in front of him.
QUOTE]

best post in this thread

thegutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAME CANADA View Post
He has been going on for 3 years now...
Give Jeff carter and Kesler the same opportunities, same linemates, and ice time, carter scores more points. It's painfully obvious that carter is a better offensive player talent wise. Carter is a 40 goal scoring threat, Kesler did it before but he's not likely to do it again.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Svengeance
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Obviously the case here.
Very nicely done sir.

Svengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:48 PM
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
The Canucks could package Schnieder, along with a bad contract or an underachiever like Manny Malhotra, to the Jackets or any goalie-needy team any time they wanted and land immediate help for a cup run this year or next.

They won't, because they have no faith in Luongo in the playoffs, and the players have no confidence in him either. This is also why Luongo doesn't have any more trade value than Bryzgalov.

A young, rebuilding team has no need for a 33 year old goalie signed long-term, and a team ready to contend now has no need for a goalie that cannot perform under pressure.
Why don't you just do the job for Mike Gillis then, since you seem to know everything that's going through his head?

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:50 PM
seafoam

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
Stupid deal, I think to Land Luongo you have to give Nash, Clitsome and Mason, plus I think it'd be somewhat stupid to bring Luongo to Columbus, its not a good fit for him there and no one wants a ridiculous contract like that, you might as well trade Carter for Gomez. I think Carter is most likely to go to Montreal or Dallas.
They way goalies are playing in there late 30's it's not a rediculous contract, plus it was massively frontloaded

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:51 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Carter to Columbus wouldn't have worked if Carter had an active NTC at the time.

Luongo has a NTC... he, like most veteran players looking for a chance to win in the playoffs, aren't going to waive their NTC to go to Columbus. Columbus is in a terrible situation right now to attract players who have a say in where they go. No trade that requires a player to waive their NTC to go to Columbus is likely going to work right now in a Carter deal, or any other deal for Columbus. Basically if you're looking for possible Columbus deals right now, you can immediately eliminate any player that has a NTC or NMC, unless maybe if they have ties to the city/team. Columbus is possibly in the worst situation as far as being a competitor goes, as there is in the league... they have a long way to go to again rebuild their team.

And the last thing the Canucks need to do is make big changes and disrupt their team chemistry. This team is again on the same record setting pace they finished with last season. There's zero reason to make big changes to that.

And final comment for "IHeartZherdev" ... get a clue about the Canucks organization before talking as if you do. Gillis has said repeatedly from the day he arrived back in 2008, that he would not ask players to waive their NTC. He's kept that promise since day 1. In fact, pretty much everything he's said, he's followed through on. Only way that Luongo is dealt is if he goes to management and/or ownership and asks to be moved. Or when he hits the clause in his contract (IIRC after 7 then again after 9 years?), where the NTC becomes inactive. Gillis has made this very clear *numerous* times.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Virtanev
+

I'll keep the goalie who took us to game 7 of the finals last year, thank you very much. Luongo is so underrated around the league it's not even funny. He's been the Canucks best player since November and without him and Schneider Vancouver isn't battling for a playoff spot right now (true story)

Virtanev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Give Jeff carter and Kesler the same opportunities, same linemates, and ice time, carter scores more points. It's painfully obvious that carter is a better offensive player talent wise. Carter is a 40 goal scoring threat, Kesler did it before but he's not likely to do it again.
This may be the stupidest post in the history of HF Boards. Firstly you say if Carter had the same line-mates as Kesler he would produce more, you do realize over the past 3 seasons Kesler has played with Raymond, Samuelsson and Booth while Carter has played with players like Rick Nash, Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell the list goes on, but even with those line-mates he has failed to outscore Kesler. If it was painfully obvious Carter was better offensively wouldn't Carter be outscoring Kesler the last couple of years? But the funniest part of your post is calling Carter a 40 goal threat and saying Kesler won't do it again, last time I checked Carter scored 40 goals 4 seasons ago while Kesler did it just last.

Old
02-19-2012, 04:15 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Yeah because Carter played with bad players on the Flyers.... and that there Nash what a horrible player to have on your wing. Sorry your argument is very wrong, Carter has had better line mates than Kesler and still hasn't out scored him for the past 2 soon to be 3 season while Kesler is also out winning the Selke.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:18 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
This may be the stupidest post in the history of HF Boards. Firstly you say if Carter had the same line-mates as Kesler he would produce more, you do realize over the past 3 seasons Kesler has played with Raymond, Samuelsson and Booth while Carter has played with players like Rick Nash, Claude Giroux, Scott Hartnell the list goes on, but even with those line-mates he has failed to outscore Kesler. If it was painfully obvious Carter was better offensively wouldn't Carter be outscoring Kesler the last couple of years? But the funniest part of your post is calling Carter a 40 goal threat and saying Kesler won't do it again, last time I checked Carter scored 40 goals 4 seasons ago while Kesler did it just last.
HF is just so awesome these days....

Old
02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Quote:
This is just hilarious...

Carter scored 40+ once in his career(3 years ago) and he's a 40 goal scoring threat, Kesler did it last year, but he won't do it again and is not a 40 goal scoring threat.

I lol'd ever harder @ give Carter Kesler's linemates... Aside from the PP, Kesler played with Raymond, Samuelsson, and Higgins last year, this year take out Samuelsson and add Booth. Carter in Philly had Richards, Briere, Van Riemsdyk, Giroux, Hartnell and played all the time with those guys... In CBJ, He's playing with RICK NASH and Prospal most of the time...

Kesler also hit 70+ points twice in his career (last 2 seasons), and Carter did it once (3 years ago)...

This isn't even brining in Kesler's defensive abilities.

Try again.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:44 PM
seafoam

vCash: 145
I didn't know VAN fans felt so highly about Luongo after last season...

Last edited by TMI: 02-19-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: no
seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Stephen

It's a pretty good deal for both teams. Carter can stop the puck as well as Luongo, and Luongo is as good a center to go with Rick Nash. Win win.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
This post has so much fail that it's obvious you're trolling here.
It's when he called Columbus a "young rebuilding team" right?

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Auger

Quote:
haha I had this same thing typed up in my head but it was only a few posts underneath. Im sure this guy knows how much better Kesler is than Carter, Carter would be **** on our team, Id want to go after a guy who could help us get better, not a potentially lazy player with zero grit.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's a pretty good deal for both teams. Carter can stop the puck as well as Luongo, and Luongo is as good a center to go with Rick Nash. Win win.
What I find ironic is a Leafs fan calling out a goalie who just was a Vezina Candidate last year, and also led his team to game 7 of the finals. I mean yeah Reimer proved how much better he was then Luongo last night

Old
02-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:
What I find ironic is a Leafs fan calling out a goalie who just was a Vezina Candidate last year, and also led his team to game 7 of the finals. I mean yeah Reimer proved how much better he was then Luongo last night
Was I personally in net for the Leafs last night? If we go by that logic, good job blowing game 7 last spring with your buttery soft brand of turn the cheek hockey against Boston, Bruno. You really stunk it up!

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Was I personally in net for the Leafs last night? If we go by that logic, good job blowing game 7 last spring with your buttery soft brand of turn the cheek hockey against Boston, Bruno. You really stunk it up!
I think making it to the SCF and pushing it to game 7 is an alright season, better than not making the playoffs. Luongo is a solid goalie and a top 3 goalie in the league.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
*SIGH* You know what I mean. Stop trying to play stupid. You shouldn't be in a position to be ragging on Luongo seeing as yours on Toronto is a gong show.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I didn't know VAN fans felt so highly about Luongo after last season...
After last season when Luongo was a Vezina finalist and our playoff MVP? Why wouldn't we feel so highly about him?