HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Flyers: The Real Rivalry Game

Old
02-18-2012, 02:38 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Flyers: The Real Rivalry Game

Plus

+ Matt Cooke: Nothing is better than when Cooke trolls all over the league. I just love it. IF, and it's a big if, he can keep up with this play, he's going to be great depth in the postseason. I loved his gritty play and I loved his tenacity out there.

+ Geno line: Once again I thought Geno and his mates looked great out there. They are passing the puck like a real first line and their chemistry is showing. Geno easily could have had 3 points in this game as he rang it off the pipe a few times. I also thought Koon was the better of the two wingers today as he was more physical and played with more passion.

+ Vitale: I don't think his faceoffs ere great, but I knwo he won some pretty damn important ones. He also was the guy mixing it up to keep giving the Pens momentum. Remind you of anyone?? Talbot say you? He also does the small things that play a big part in the locker room.

+ Staal: Not Jordan's strongest game,but still makes the key plays when we need one. What else can you say? I don't know if it was noticed, but he had a few great breakups in the defensive zone late in the game (tied 3-3).

+ Philly Goaltending:

Minus

- Refs: For both sides the officiating was a ****ing joke. I'm not going into it because I hate *****ing about refs. They ****ing sucked.

- Defense: Our defense just cannot bring it all together. We make mental errors when we shouldn't be. We aren't aggressive enough. I want to see passionate defense all over the ice. That means the forwards too coming back and helping in the d-zone. We just aren't good enough right now.

We especially aren't finishing plays and clearing pucks out. If you clear your guy out, he gets nothing. If you clear the puck out, they get nothing.

- Wild game: Just a weird game. I hated the penalties but I told you guys that the refs would shut up in the 3rd. I still hated the dumb plays made by our team. We took bad penalties and weren't focused for 60 minutes. We have to pick it up for a full 60 minutes to win a Cup.

- Root Sports Player Of The Game: Are you serious? It's Matt ****ing Cooke. They always have dumb players of the game.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
AquaticBirdman

Personally I don't have a problem with MAF being chosen as player of the game. Just look at the huge saves he made in the first 2 periods. The end result could've been completely different.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:42 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
Personally I don't have a problem with MAF being chosen as player of the game. Just look at the huge saves he made in the first 2 periods. The end result could've been completely different.
I will say this to my friend MTLPensFan (and you know I do respect your opinions): There aren't a lot of goalies I'd want over Fleury in the NHL. Yes, he isn't perfect, but he fits our team very well. He makes key saves and we build off of it.

Another 30 win season?

Old
02-18-2012, 02:42 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Agreed with all things. I thought Staal and Cooke looked really good today, along with the 1st line. Giroux is just not on Malkin's level.

I'm just waiting for the defense to put it together now.. Fleury is doing his part.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:43 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

In all that mess Orpik ended up being a +4 some how. What a useless stat.

+Secondary scoring: For lacking it we just put up 5 goals not scored by the first line.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:43 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

No love for Craig Adams, Cole? You really hate him! Brooks Orpik was a solid +4 today! Not bad! Big plus to me going to the game tomorrow!

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
No love for Craig Adams, Cole? You really hate him! Brooks Orpik was a solid +4 today! Not bad! Big plus to me going to the game tomorrow!
No that's fair... Adams sacrificed his body on the PK. That was a play he had to make or else he serves no purpose.

I give huge props to him.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu

+ Matt Cooke = awesome.
+ Fleuy for keeping us in the game
+ Geno line was great once again, good thing they got something out of it.
+ Nealer with 30
+ For Jagr getting two goals and still lose the game. He probably doesn't care anyway for the team.

- Engo, I'm sorry you just can't to that.
- Nisky was bad today, bad decisionmaking and some pretty ****ed up moments.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:46 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I will say this to my friend MTLPensFan (and you know I do respect your opinions): There aren't a lot of goalies I'd want over Fleury in the NHL. Yes, he isn't perfect, but he fits our team very well. He makes key saves and we build off of it.

Another 30 win season?
I don't hate him. I never said I did and yes, I understand the difference between having him, and having who the Flyers had.

But I also get the difference between him and Lundqvist, but in the end, I shouldn't ***** about not having someone that only a few other teams have (Rinne/Lundqvist/Thomas)

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Matt Damon

Big + to the PK

Matt Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:47 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

+Jagr solutes. I was really mad when they happened but now it just seems funny.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:49 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

No offense to Jagr as we know he's a TREMENDOUS player still. That being said, he was lost for most of the game. He floats around and really doesn't play a big part. When the game got tighter, he went away.

I think that could hurt him in the postseason.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

+ to me because I feel no guilt for being giddy that Philly once again has goalie issues. Death, taxes and no goaltending in Philly are the only sure things in this world.

+ to me for laughing about Bryz being on the books for a huge cap hit for the next several years.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
No offense to Jagr as we know he's a TREMENDOUS player still. That being said, he was lost for most of the game. He floats around and really doesn't play a big part. When the game got tighter, he went away.

He still has a shot, hands, & hockey sense but...his legs look to have had better days.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
nwpensfan

I had to give Letang a minus on the poll just for that one brain **** he had on the goal. I have no idea what he was doing!!

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Quote:

Other than a great 18 seconds, he was fairly invisible I thought.

Wes C Addle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
I had to give Letang a minus on the poll just for that one brain **** he had on the goal. I have no idea what he was doing!!
It was honestly one of the worst decisions I'd ever seen.

Fine, don't pinch for a potential 50/50 puck. It might get chipped past you.

But then he decides to stand still while the player goes around him. That was just baffling.

Old
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

He is finishing with 90 points this year... Didn't you get the memo?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
+ to me because I feel no guilt for being giddy that Philly once again has goalie issues. Death, taxes and no goaltending in Philly are the only sure things in this world.

+ to me for laughing about Bryz being on the books for a huge cap hit for the next several years.
+ to this post

JQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
9 years and a full NMC; that should be enough to get Homer fired

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:

Gotta wonder if those two goals were more of a **** you for being put on the second line. But, yeah, he's wearing down as the season progresses, like most of the saner posters predicted.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:

Almost 6 mil per 'til 2020. Damn.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:

Why would you feel guilty?

Any city that erects a statue of a fictional midget boxer deserves exactly what it gets.

Old
02-18-2012, 02:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Agreed with all things. I thought Staal and Cooke looked really good today, along with the 1st line. Giroux is just not on Malkin's level.

I'm just waiting for the defense to put it together now.. Fleury is doing his part.
No, he's not.

As for the defense, you're going to be waiting for a while for them to put it together, I'm afraid. Orpik is back to where his game was, and Tanger is just awesome. Neither is perfect, but you can't miss their impact. I think Z will be o'k. But, here are you're three problems. First, the two small problems:

1. Engo can't handle skill. Forget that turnover. He's a #6. Thing is, he can be overwhelmed with skill. Much as I like him and the improvement I've seen in his game this year, I've seen nothing to suggest that he's a guy you want out there against skilled guys.

2. Nisky can't handle an overly physical game. It's always been his MO. You bang the **** out of him, and he starts playing like a guy always looking over his shoulder. Again, like Engo, he's better this year, but I don't see how someone can't be concerned about it.

Now, the big problem . . . Paul Martin.

First of all, there's no longer any such thing as a Martin hater. Anyone critical of his game or the consequences of his cap hit is making a far more rational assessment than someone who says 'he'll be fine' and 'it's a great deal for the Pens'. He's just not playing smart hockey. For every good pinch, there's a bad one. And, I think the real big problem is how he defends in transition from offense to defense . . . he's just out there playing a slow game. I don't know if it's overthinking, underthinking, or what, but his reaction time, especially in that situation, is atrocious (and, that doesn't just go for the times you see it create a chance against; for every one of those, there are three or four that the other team is even slower to recognize or otherwise doesn't capitalize on). Sugar coat it however you like. Give me all of the Simon Despres or rental arguments you like about 'do you really want this guy on the ice in a critical situation in game seven at MSG', because that same question goes for Martin, the only difference being that you're paying 5 million for the luxury of having to ask and hold your breath about that question.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote