HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much would a shortened season help this team

Old
12-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Tavaresfan91

vCash: 500
How much would a shortened season help this team

What do you guys think about the islanders in a 48 game season??? I believe that it could go either way. On one side it could benefit them because they have less time to mess things up and if they get on one of there got starts they will be in the playoff hunt, on the other hand one of those November meltdowns and we could be in on jones or McKinnon. So questions simple will it benefit or hurt the islanders?

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:13 AM
lorwood

Not really interested in anything that comes with an asterisk attached.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
What do you guys think about the islanders in a 48 game season??? I believe that it could go either way. On one side it could benefit them because they have less time to mess things up and if they get on one of there got starts they will be in the playoff hunt, on the other hand one of those November meltdowns and we could be in on jones or McKinnon. So questions simple will it benefit or hurt the islanders?
I have no idea, but I would guess that it would *hurt* the Islanders for the year. I think teams with a lot of veteran players who don't have to learn the NHL game from the ground up will have an advantage. Teams like the Islanders who would be integrating a lot of new young players (Strome, Niederreiter and Donovan at the very least, maybe also Nelson) will probably be at a disadvantage.

I think the year off would benefit the Islanders. We'd have a more settled situation in goal, as we'd have a better idea of which goalie to promote, and what we'd need on the market. We won't have to deal with Boyes and Reasoner, who I really don't want anyway. We'd be able to get some veterans to play complimentary roles instead of first line scoring roles (I like the idea of setting Strome on RW next to JT). We'll have a larger UFA class available, and with the impending move won't any longer be the team to avoid. And of course, the young guys (especially Nelson and Niederreiter) would be able to experience the full year grind in the AHL.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
It Was 4 to 1*

we would have already skipped our annual november trainwreck

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Knish Of The Crease

Heading in to January tied for 1st! Best shape we've been in, in years.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Beastrt

For the islanders any season is better then no season. The islanders can use another high draft pick which they will likely get and its a very good draft class. Strome needs some nhl experience after the world jrs. We need to find out if he is our number 2 center or first line winger. We should also give Reinhart a 9 game tryout. I know many of you may not agree with this but, he could be already defensively ready for the nhl. He isnt getting any pp time anyway it cant hurt.

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I'm so torn! The Islanders could be in the hunt for a playoff spot because they'll have less games to **** everything up OR they could be in the mix for the next shiny teenager. Man oh man.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Moosie

I doubt if the Isles make the playoffs even if the season is only 48 games. They will have an early slump that will take them out of it. It's going to take at least a month to get any semblance of organization going. That goes with having young players thrust into crucial roles. I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
doublechili

They'd probably try to squeeze more games into a shorter time period, so there may be less time off between games. That could help a young team with young legs. But I think that assumes they have the kind of coach that can keep them prepared with maybe less practice time. Capuano?

Hey, OTOH maybe the other teams having less practice time will actually help the Isles, since the Isles probably don't get much out of practice anyway.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
They'd probably try to squeeze more games into a shorter time period, so there may be less time off between games. That could help a young team with young legs. But I think that assumes they have the kind of coach that can keep them prepared with maybe less practice time. Capuano?

Hey, OTOH maybe the other teams having less practice time will actually help the Isles, since the Isles probably don't get much out of practice anyway.
baaaazinga

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 01:37 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Anything short of the Stanley Cup is a failure

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:58 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Well, they would have found a solution to the December slump. They apparently play like a President's trophy team after Jan 1.

I am thinking they win out, take the Cup, sleep with Taylor Swift, and win the Preakness.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Well, they would have found a solution to the December slump. They apparently play like a President's trophy team after Jan 1.

I am thinking they win out, take the Cup, sleep with Taylor Swift, and win the Preakness.
Sleeping with Taylor Swift should NOT be listed as an accomplishment.

But maybe then she'll write a song about us and make us popular.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:49 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Sleeping with Taylor Swift should NOT be listed as an accomplishment.

But maybe then she'll write a song about us and make us popular.
and what is wrong with Taylor Swift?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Let's move along from Taylor Swift please.

12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
DanNYI2191

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

With our injury history, less time to rest between games scares me. But I see your point.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 06:46 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Not really interested in anything that comes with an asterisk attached.
I don't care if they are the 8th seed, in a 48 game season.

I just want then to take the next step: go from competitive to making the playoffs.

They have such little playoff experience on their roster.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 09:18 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't care if they are the 8th seed, in a 48 game season.

I just want then to take the next step: go from competitive to making the playoffs.

They have such little playoff experience on their roster.
I understand, I really do.

My biggest fear is that they would catch some short term lightning in a bottle, convince Snow and Wang not to make any FA signings or trades and then regress during the rigors of a full season.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:55 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
I understand, I really do.

My biggest fear is that they would catch some short term lightning in a bottle, convince Snow and Wang not to make any FA signings or trades and then regress during the rigors of a full season.
There's a new Snow interview on the board. It's a puff piece, with 5 easy questions.
From Snow's comments, I wouldn't expect Snow to move far from his homegrown rebuild, but the approaching ufa status of some of his players will likely take the decision out of his hands.

Vis, Streit, Boyes and Reasoner are ufas in July. Vis and Streit should get plenty of interest on the ufa market. It's a good bet the isles current blueline will not be together long.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote