Best Team Lines

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Best Team Lines

Just bought NHL2005 and I was just wondering what thrashers fans would consider their current best team lines were.

My choice at the moment:

L1:Kozlov-Savard-Heatley
L2:Kovalchuk-Stefan-McEachern
L3etrovicky-Aubin-Mellanby
L4:Vigier-Simon-Lessard

D1:Sutton-Modry
D2:Tjarnqvist-Havelid
D3:Exelby-Majesky

G:Nurminen-Lehtonen

S:Santala-Kloucek

PP1:Kozlov-Savard-Heatley-Kovalchuk-Modry
PP2:McEachern-Stefan-Mellanby-Sutton-Havelid

PK1 McEachern-Stefan-Sutton-Havelid
PK2 Vigier-Aubin-Exelby-Majesky

Old
10-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

I had pretty much the same, except Tjarnqvist and Exelby were swapped. I had Petro instead of Vigier on the PK aswell, but other than that they're almost identical to what I started with

Old
11-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Fravashis

honestly, id put aubin first line center, we have tried everyone else, may as well give him a shot, he may surprise a few, he wont be an allstar by anymeans, but its worth a shot nonetheless

Old
11-02-2004, 12:16 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan27fan
honestly, id put aubin first line center, we have tried everyone else, may as well give him a shot, he may surprise a few, he wont be an allstar by anymeans, but its worth a shot nonetheless
Savard's league leading PPGA wasn't good enough?

Old
11-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin
Savard's league leading PPGA wasn't good enough?
It wasn't actually league-leading, but like any statistic you can twist the truth a little bit. You can say Savard's points per game was better than Martin St. Louis', or if Savard had played 82 games and kept up his scoring pace he would of won the Art Ross, which does sound very impressive... but both Forsberg and Palffy had a better PPG average than Savard.

Old
11-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Why is Kovalchuk on the second line with Kozlov on the first. That seems really dumb.

Old
11-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Why is Kovalchuk on the second line with Kozlov on the first. That seems really dumb.
Why was Samsonov on your 2nd line while Knuble was on the 1st?

Old
11-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Samsonov and Thornton are two totally different players. One is about 225 pounds, the other is about 185 soaking wet. One is extremely fast and wiry, and the other has size. The Knuble-Thornton-Murray line was over 700 pounds together. Putting Samsonov on that line would make the whole enforcing line pointless.

Also, there's a huge difference between a 41 goal scorer, and a 40 point scorer. You don't put a guy who can get 41 goals in a season on the second line. Kovalchuk-Savard-Heatley could be the best line in the NHL if it were put together.

Old
11-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Samsonov and Thornton are two totally different players. One is about 225 pounds, the other is about 185 soaking wet. One is extremely fast and wiry, and the other has size. The Knuble-Thornton-Murray line was over 700 pounds together. Putting Samsonov on that line would make the whole enforcing line pointless.

Also, there's a huge difference between a 41 goal scorer, and a 40 point scorer. You don't put a guy who can get 41 goals in a season on the second line. Kovalchuk-Savard-Heatley could be the best line in the NHL if it were put together.
They aren't 1st line and 2nd line's really, but more 2 first lines. I doubt Kovalchuk will ever receive typical '2nd line' minutes.. Kozlov isn't a '40 point scorer' either

Naslund and Bertuzzi are totally different players too, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. Its pretty rare to see an offensive line of three identical-style players together. Thornton and Samsonov have always shown great chemistry, but having your 3 best offensive players on one line isn't always the best way to go. There is little doubt that a Samsonov-Thornton-Murray line would of been better than if Knuble had been on there, but I guess the Bruins felt Samsonov would be of better use on the 2nd line.

Splitting them up makes it harder for them all to be shut down, since usually the opposition can only focus their best defensive pair/line against one line. The Kozlov-Savard-Heatley line works great together, and Ilya has shown he can put up 40 goals playing next to anyone. This way either Kovalchuk, or the Heatley line, will be up against 2nd-pairing defense, whereas if they were all on the same line its a lot easier for the opposition to focus all their best defensive players on them. Sometimes putting them all together is worth it, for instance if their effectiveness is drastically worse when split up. But often coaches opt for the 2 strong offensive lines, rather than 1 super line and 1 mediocre one.

This is a pretty common strategy, Jagr and Lemieux were usually split up, even though they were absolutely magic when on the ice together. I'm pretty sure one year (maybe 95-96?) they finished 1-2 in league scoring while playing on different lines...

Closed Thread