Notices

Lucic named 'toughest' in NHL player poll Bergeron and Chara take other honors

Old
02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
His skating is actually leaps and bounds better than it was when he was a rookie. I don't think it will get much better, but I don't know many 6'4"(+), 230lb guys who move much quicker than he does.

I think Lucic has "cooled" on the intimidation front because his reputation now precedes him. He doesn't have to drive guys through the boards on every hit like he did when he was a rookie because he's now just granted space in the corners by virtue of what he did as a young player. That reputation preceding him, though, works both ways. He's suffered greatly from some truly awful calls like the match penalty early in the Vancouver game for "leaving the bench" - you have to really be honing in on him to even SEE his skate touch the bench for a second.

Some believe Neely told him to tone it down and play a style more like he did. After all, you can't have your top-line LW sitting in the box for 5 minutes 13 times a year and under the scrutinizing eye of the refs every time he's on the ice.

The poll results aren't surprising if you watch his biggest hits and hardest punches. When he really nails a guy, the reaction is like they just got stung to the core. It leaves an impression.
Depends, as an outsider I can agree with you on a lot of fronts. His skating most definitely has improved. I'm actually bigger and taller than lucic, obviously not in that shape however and when I played hockey it's tough for a big guy to skate like a smaller player, it really is so for his size he's more than okay. I just meant to say, imagine he skated like stamkos, that would be scary. As guys his size who moved better, I think an obvious one is Vinny Lecavalier, Jordan Staal, etc... He isn't a top skater, I think that's a given, but he's still good enough.

I think maybe you're right, maybe he has more space in the corners because of his reputation, but I also wouldn't be surprised on the Neely comment. The guy is a good hockey player, he should be on the ice, not in the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Tampa`s not terribly surprising, loads of players are golfers too
Just noticed you were mod. Congrats!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
His skating is actually leaps and bounds better than it was when he was a rookie. I don't think it will get much better, but I don't know many 6'4"(+), 230lb guys who move much quicker than he does.

I think Lucic has "cooled" on the intimidation front because his reputation now precedes him. He doesn't have to drive guys through the boards on every hit like he did when he was a rookie because he's now just granted space in the corners by virtue of what he did as a young player. That reputation preceding him, though, works both ways. He's suffered greatly from some truly awful calls like the match penalty early in the Vancouver game for "leaving the bench" - you have to really be honing in on him to even SEE his skate touch the bench for a second.

Some believe Neely told him to tone it down and play a style more like he did. After all, you can't have your top-line LW sitting in the box for 5 minutes 13 times a year and under the scrutinizing eye of the refs every time he's on the ice.

The poll results aren't surprising if you watch his biggest hits and hardest punches. When he really nails a guy, the reaction is like they just got stung to the core. It leaves an impression.
Agreed on Lucic re: skating. I was lucky enough to land some loge seats for the B's-Nashville game when Looch played arguably his most dominant game in years, and from that viewpoint, it's really quite impressive to watch him skate. He's obviously not a pretty skater, persay, and his acceleration isn't top notch, but once he gets going, he is, quite literally, a freight train on skates. If I were a defender going into the corner with a full speed Lucic, I'd probably piss myself. And I'm 6'3 225 and run a 4.6 40.

I'd say he's probably the most physically intimidating forward since mid-90's Eric Lindros.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
robertpallson

WHICH CURRENT ASSISTANT COACH SHOULD BE THE NEXT HEAD COACH?

RUNNERS UP
Dave Cameron Ottawa Senators6%
Doug Houda Boston Bruins6%
Dave Lewis Carolina Hurricanes5%
Craig Ramsay Florida Panthers5%
Tony Granato Pittsburgh Penguins4%

robertpallson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
howaryuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
I respect that in a coach. I think Torts is great and has a few more Cups in his future.

The one I thought was interesting?

53% of players DON'T want to see the instigator rule abolished.
The league is almost half and half on that issue. That's a number that could spark some serious conversation.
And perhaps some serious negotiations too.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:45 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Agreed on Lucic re: skating. I was lucky enough to land some loge seats for the B's-Nashville game when Looch played arguably his most dominant game in years, and from that viewpoint, it's really quite impressive to watch him skate. He's obviously not a pretty skater, persay, and his acceleration isn't top notch, but once he gets going, he is, quite literally, a freight train on skates. If I were a defender going into the corner with a full speed Lucic, I'd probably piss myself. And I'm 6'3 225 and run a 4.6 40.

I'd say he's probably the most physically intimidating forward since mid-90's Eric Lindros.

Jeebus, you're quick for a big guy! Speed has never been my strongpoint, so I'm in awe of people who can move like that.

The other thing to consider with Looch is that his spine and height is affected by Schuermann's. It's pronounced enough to make me think he'd be closer to 6'6" if not for his the abnormal curvature.

The guys really is a beast, though. His skating was defined by some as "almost lumbering" as a rookie, the type of speed that makes him a liability in this league. I don't know if it's just on this slower team (and its second slowest line), but he's shown that his size gives him just enough space to offset the shortcomings in his footspeed.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Jeebus, you're quick for a big guy! Speed has never been my strongpoint, so I'm in awe of people who can move like that.

The other thing to consider with Looch is that his spine and height is affected by Schuermann's. It's pronounced enough to make me think he'd be closer to 6'6" if not for his the abnormal curvature.

The guys really is a beast, though. His skating was defined by some as "almost lumbering" as a rookie, the type of speed that makes him a liability in this league. I don't know if it's just on this slower team (and its second slowest line), but he's shown that his size gives him just enough space to offset the shortcomings in his footspeed.
Amazing someone so slow gets as many breakaways as he's had in the NHL. Must be lucky, too.

I also read somewhere that were it not for Schuermann's, he'd be around 6'6". Three inches in height! Terrible disease, many afflicted w/ it are on disability. Lucic? The NHL. When they told him he wasn't good enough for Junior A, he could have easily chalked it up to his affliction, and given up. Instead he decided to make everyone eat a **** sandwich, and within a year was holding the Memorial Cup and the MVP to go along w/ it. Why anyone would ever want to give up on that kid is mind blowing to me. Lucic is a winner. All things considered, we were very fortunate to get him at 50.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:

Haha, in truth I am that big but not nearly that fast. That was more along the lines of the old "Come on kid, my grandma moves faster than that! Granted she's 6'2, 240 and runs a 4.5 40, but still..."

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

love the respect for the Bruins. thank goodness Vancouver didnt vote lol

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpallson View Post

RUNNERS UP

Perhaps a little trolling by those who know Lewis' coaching style. I would love to play against a Lewis coached team as well.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpallson View Post

RUNNERS UP

I'm actually not surprised. Lewis has always been known as a player's coach and a good X and O guy. It doesn't always make a good a head coach, but I can see why some players would vouch for him.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote