HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kilrea effect: Positive or Negative?

Old
02-22-2012, 01:06 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
The Kilrea effect: Positive or Negative?

It is no secret that Doug Wilson makes a lot of his draft picks based on the advice of Kilrea. Making the assumption that all his Ottawa 67 picks were based off Kilrea's rec; how does the end result look like? If the assumption is wrong, let me know! Let me know about any other picks made using Kilrea's rec. (Hamilton, for example).

So this list, from my memory, would be:

Assuminng based on playing for Ottawa:

Derek Joslin
Will Colbert
Lukas Kaspar
Couture
Mcginn
Julien Demers

Based on other rumors:

Doherty
Hamilton

I want to say Torrey Mitchell as well, but that's probably false.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

You're right, Mitchell wasn't a 67.

I think the overall strategy of trusting Kilrea and having a close relationship with the 67s is pretty smart, kind of like a feeder system into the Sharks org.

The picks themselves have shown one thing - they all have high mental fortitude. They work hard physically and mentally and are very competitive, none of them are lazy guys with talent.

edit
Can't speak for Julien Demers though, I hardly knew anything about him

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:11 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
What about trading for Brian Campbell?

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:15 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
What about trading for Brian Campbell?
Meh. If Campbell had become a permanent fixture, then yes. But as a rental?

In any case though, I would argue that his rental was a success; he was a very good contributor while he was here. Campbell was a well-established player though...

On Torrey Mitchell; he wasn't a '67; however, there were rumors of DW drafting players like Hamilton and Doherty off Kilrea's rec.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
SJeasy

Too concentrated with one org. It may be significant of a lack of other scouting contacts for the Sharks org.

He has a rep for being a taskmaster. However during an interview, he indicated that he had rules but would wink at them under certain circumstances. Two Kilrea NHL graduates, Boynton and Bell, had significant issues after arriving in the NHL and never got close to their projections.

As far as history goes, the 67s are not a premier org for graduating NHL top end talent. They have had their moments. Potvin, Wilson, etc. The 90s were a signficant decline relative to other junior teams.

Other teams have junior associations. The Plymouth Whalers and Canes come to mind. In fact, same ownership for both teams. The Canes track record with Whaler graduates is pathetic.

The OHL teams with the stronger track records tend to be more immediate to the Toronto area. And the track records don't necessarily mean that it is their own development. Part of it is their own scouting and connections and part is the ability to acquire players through their financial strength. The NHL scouts in effect are feeding of the scouting systems and connections of the junior teams.

Lastly, an effect that is often seen with both coaches and teachers is that some play off their empathy with the players. As they age, they lose touch with the ability to relate to the incoming generation and mold them.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote