HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks vs Red Wings Cont..

Old
02-19-2012, 04:11 PM
SharksAddict

vCash: 500
Why oh why do the Sharks have to always insist on having 1 d-man consistently **** the bed and refuse to bench him?

First it was Huskins, then Wallin, and now White. The coaching staff and front office can't be that incompetent can they? It's not like Vandy and Demers (once Murray is back) are not better options than White.

So sick of the Stanley Cup experience BS. Doesn't mean a damn thing when they are at the tail end of their career and have little or nothing left to offer. White has had more than enough time to prove this isn't just a funk.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
I guess the positive of this game is that I bet 795 vCash on the Wings.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Solmors

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
I guess the positive of this game is that I bet 795 vCash on the Wings.
Before today I was 0-5 when I bet on the vBookie. I bet for the sharks 3 times, they lost all three. And against the sharks twice, which they won. I bet for the wings today trying to have my crap luck influence it, but it didn't work. Sorry guys.

Solmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I hate to be that guy who looks like the ridiculous optimist, but this team isn't even close to healthy right now. I just get the feeling that this team won't get fully healthy until late March and then go into the playoffs as an underrated 3 seed who becomes a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs for yet another deep run.

But maybe that's just me.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:59 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
Why oh why do the Sharks have to always insist on having 1 d-man consistently **** the bed and refuse to bench him?

First it was Huskins, then Wallin, and now White. The coaching staff and front office can't be that incompetent can they? It's not like Vandy and Demers (once Murray is back) are not better options than White.

So sick of the Stanley Cup experience BS. Doesn't mean a damn thing when they are at the tail end of their career and have little or nothing left to offer. White has had more than enough time to prove this isn't just a funk.
With both Wallin and white, I don't think it's the whole SC experience that DW is overrating and why they are gushing over them. It's their size, with Wallin at 6'3", 220 lbs, and White at 6'4", 215 lbs. DW/TMac just see the size and think "OMG, those guys are huge, thus, they are going to be defensive forces and keep opposing forwards away from our net and play solid D."

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Can HaZ Trainz
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
This. I remember hearing Todd mention the "experience" and "track-record" factor for who is in net. Sometimes I wonder if hes watching the 2009-2010 Niemi or this seasons Niemi.

Can HaZ Trainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Sharksfan83

Sorry, but two soft goals, and a juicy rebound, compared to the Sharks being forced to score goals in scrums in front of the net. That's the difference between us and winning lately. Niemi is playing terrible, and we can't win any SC unless he improves tenfold.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:20 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 849
People are going to blame Niemi, but Burns screwed up on the Miller goal (totally whiffed clearing the puck -right onto Miller's tape). Mitchell screwed up on the Helm goal. A lot of costly mistakes today for us. Not just Nemo.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Iron Chef

Not to disrespect the Jackets, but I am happy we get to play them on Tuesday. I think its a good game for us to reset things, perhaps build momentum against a team that we "should" beat. Not looking forward to next weekend when we get to play the Preds at 5pm PST and then the Wild at 3pm PST the very next day. Then we get a 1 day "break" and have to play the Flyers at home on the 28th.

What a grueling schedule.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:25 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I hate to be that guy who looks like the ridiculous optimist, but this team isn't even close to healthy right now. I just get the feeling that this team won't get fully healthy until late March and then go into the playoffs as an underrated 3 seed who becomes a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs for yet another deep run.

But maybe that's just me.
To add more to the optimism, the Sharks will probably get the 3rd seed regardless of how much they win now (unless they go on a super win-streak / super-lose streak). So these losses don't mean too much right?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:27 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
Sorry, but two soft goals, and a juicy rebound, compared to the Sharks being forced to score goals in scrums in front of the net. That's the difference between us and winning lately. Niemi is playing terrible, and we can't win any SC unless he improves tenfold.
The 3rd goal was soft, the 1st goal I expected to go in. Backhands are goalies' worst enemies, and Zetterberg's backhand is ridiculous. Niemi let in a few backhand goals in the Detroit series last year as well.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
People are going to blame Niemi, but Burns screwed up on the Miller goal (totally whiffed clearing the puck -right onto Miller's tape). Mitchell screwed up on the Helm goal. A lot of costly mistakes today for us. Not just Nemo.
I agree with you about Burns on the second goal. He effed up. But while Mitchell caused the turnover that lead to the third goal, the shot itself was something that Nemo should have stopped. Or do we have to play such good defense that those soft opportunities don't even get to our fragile goaltender?

Old
Sharksfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
To add more to the optimism, the Sharks will probably get the 3rd seed regardless of how much they win now (unless they go on a super win-streak / super-lose streak). So these losses don't mean too much right?
You'd hope so. If we lose the top spot in the Division, we go down to 7th and just a point or two from being out of the playoffs.

Old
stalockrox

Quote:
The first goal actually deflected in front as well, his D isn't helping him out a whole lot.

I'll probably be told I'm wrong here but people scream about every single defensive mistake White makes, I see Burns make at least a few that leave me shaking my head per game, several leading to goals. I like Burns, I love his creativity, skating, offense, but his D game still needs quite a bit of work.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
The 3rd goal was soft, the 1st goal I expected to go in. Backhands are goalies' worst enemies, and Zetterberg's backhand is ridiculous. Niemi let in a few backhand goals in the Detroit series last year as well.
I'm remembering that Datsyuk goal in game 7 that everyone thought was brilliant and was actually just a poor display of defense and goaltending.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
You'd hope so. If we lose the top spot in the Division, we go down to 7th and just a point or two from being out of the playoffs.
I definitely don't see that happening. Phoenix would have go on a pretty significant win-streak while the Sharks go on a losing-streak at the same time.

Quote:
I'm remembering that Datsyuk goal in game 7 that everyone thought was brilliant and was actually just a poor display of defense and goaltending.
Zetterberg also had a backhand from pretty much the exact same spot as tonight.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Sharksfan83

Quote:
I give you the Burns one, not so much the Mitchell one.

You're right, hopefully the D play perfect, fault free hockey through the playoffs to carry this guy along.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
The first goal actually deflected in front as well, his D isn't helping him out a whole lot.

I'll probably be told I'm wrong here but people scream about every single defensive mistake White makes, I see Burns make at least a few that leave me shaking my head per game, several leading to goals. I like Burns, I love his creativity, skating, offense, but his D game still needs quite a bit of work.
The problem with Burns right now is simply that he doesn't know how to play elite defense and contribute offensively at the same time. For the first half of the season, Burns wasn't great offensively but he was quite good defensively. Now he's putting it together offensively but he's forgetting to play sound defense. I think that we give him a pass first because he's still relatively new to his position, and also because he contributes to multiple facets of the game. White is supposed to be a defensive d-man, but he sucks at defense.

But man, when Burns puts it together consistently, he is going to be an absolute force.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
I give you the Burns one, not so much the Mitchell one.

You're right, hopefully the D play perfect, fault free hockey through the playoffs to carry this guy along.
Niemi is capable of standing on his head when the D faulters, but you can't expect him stay like that the entire season. When he has a string of poor games, you expect the D to step-up their game a little bit to cover for him, but they aren't. Now Niemi is playing bad and the D in front of him is playing just as bad.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:36 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 849
Quote:
I agree with you about Burns on the second goal. He effed up. But while Mitchell caused the turnover that lead to the third goal, the shot itself was something that Nemo should have stopped. Or do we have to play such good defense that those soft opportunities don't even get to our fragile goaltender?
Softies hurt, and I do think the Helm goal took us out of the game for a few minutes. It probably isn't the same effect if that goal say - only makes it 2-1 or 1-1 instead.

If anyone is wondering, I will say the zetterberg goal is unstoppable by even the best goalie. Z's backhand is top 5 in the league.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
The problem with Burns right now is simply that he doesn't know how to play elite defense and contribute offensively at the same time. For the first half of the season, Burns wasn't great offensively but he was quite good defensively. Now he's putting it together offensively but he's forgetting to play sound defense. I think that we give him a pass first because he's still relatively new to his position, and also because he contributes to multiple facets of the game. White is supposed to be a defensive d-man, but he sucks at defense.
Don't really care why people give one a pass and not the other. I expected more from both Burns and White, yes Burns contributes in other areas but that doesn't make the mistakes he makes any less costly.

White hasn't been as good as I expected, but Vandermeer - even though everyone thinks otherwise - really hasn't been all that much better.

I'd prefer they both sit, but I don't get to make that call and even though fans think the coaches are dumb I'm guessing they have their reasons for not dressing Vandermeer more often.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:39 PM
OffSydes
#tank2014

Quote:
Joey stole a game today

Hiller stole a series
Roloson stole a series

The Sharks need a goalie that can steal a series

OffSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:42 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Mitchell didn't screw up on the Helm goal. Handzus pushed the puck right into skates when he was 3 feet away and covered by a Wing. If Handzus could have made a clean pass instead of trying to pass off his problem to Mitchell there wouldn't have been a problem.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:48 PM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffSydes View Post
Joey stole a game today

Hiller stole a series
Roloson stole a series

The Sharks need a goalie that can steal a series
The Sharks need to start hitting the upper corners of the net and stop going for the stomach, you don't get a prize for hitting the center of a goalie. It's best to aim there now because in the playoffs there is no practice for corner net shooting. You do it in the regular season it will come playoff time. All our shots should be off center if it's wide open so we can shake the goalie's confidence. Our shots just need the goalie to stare at the puck and they make the save, come on.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

We just have to put this game behind us and move on. I think we have better personnel and the potential for a lot better team than we did last year.

For some reason we cant seem to get 60 good minutes from our team. We cant worry about the bad refs and the bad bounces because they are beyond our control. I still feel that even with the team we have (with Vlasic, Murray and Havlat back) we can keep up with the best of them.