HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2012 2.0

View Poll Results: Would you do the trade?
Do the deal 12 24.00%
Not interested 22 44.00%
Hold out for more 16 32.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Ryan doesn't even play with those 2 and played on a line with Koivu for your info. He has also picked up 4 consecutive 30+ goal seasons something which Plekanec as never accomplished
He's played with those 2 the last 2 years and again parts of this season. the big reason he was pulled off the line is because he was doing squat early on. His numbers dropped by 14 points going from Getzlaf-Perry to mostly Koivu-Selanne.

Ryan may be a more consistant scorer but Plekanec is better in just about every other aspect of the game.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

In regrads to Radulov to the Habs...

To me that's a tough one. Radulov could come in and have an impact, but the playoff incident is a huge character red flag and Bergevin seems to believe in that religiously. Sometimes it only takes 1 or 2 bad apples to ruin the basket(or whatever the saying is).

We definitely need another winger, best case a legit 25 goal scorer, worst case a reclamation project(Penner) to at least compete with Bourque fot a top 6 role until LeBlanc Gallagher Kristo and co are ready. Radulov wuld surely cost assets, the question is how much? Would he be available for a 2nd(has his value gotten to that level?) or would he cost our 2013 1st or a top prospect(Beaulieu Tinordi Gallagher LeBlanc)? Then once you get him, what is the cost to sign him as a RFA? Do you have to commit big dollars(5.5-6 mil) or long term(4-5-6 years).

I don't see him signing in Nashville unless they can't sign Suter, Weber gets traded because they don't want to risk him leaving as a UFA and they suddenly have cash to spend and want to keep fan interest(trade Suter's rights for a 1st, Weber for a pkg including young d-man and use the cap room to keep Radulov and sign a UFA d-man). I don't see Nashville keeping both d-men, So i think their task the next 6-8 weeks is to try and sign one and trade the other.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
On what do you base that Ryan is a better player?

Right now I'd say Plekanec is better. More complete player and is usually the driver on his line versus Ryan who is a good player but depends on Perry and Getzlaf. I'm sure if we had Perry and Selanne for Plekanec to play with he'd be at 70-75 points every year.
I think you massively overrate Plekanec...

If there was any way in hell the Habs could get Bobby Ryan for Tomas Plekanec, they would be mad to not do so.

Old
05-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think you massively overrate Plekanec...

If there was any way in hell the Habs could get Bobby Ryan for Tomas Plekanec, they would be mad to not do so.
On the basis of being younger and probably having more upside. Not because Ryan is better than Plekanec today.

Production is about a lot more than just scoring goals. Ryan is known as somewhat of a whiner and selfish player to a certain extent. that's why they have shopped him on a few occasions, I think if they can get good return they would move him, but they can't afford to take a loss with Selanne and Koivu being on their last legs plus Perry and Getzlaf coming up as UFA's.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
On the basis of being younger and probably having more upside. Not because Ryan is better than Plekanec today.

Production is about a lot more than just scoring goals. Ryan is known as somewhat of a whiner and selfish player to a certain extent. that's why they have shopped him on a few occasions, I think if they can get good return they would move him, but they can't afford to take a loss with Selanne and Koivu being on their last legs plus Perry and Getzlaf coming up as UFA's.
Yes today, yesterday and last week Bobby Ryan is a better hockey player than Plekanec and that's not a knock on Pleky

Old
05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Yes today, yesterday and last week Bobby Ryan is a better hockey player than Plekanec and that's not a knock on Pleky
better at what?

Both have different uses and talents. It all depends on what you want. At the moment losing Plekanec would hurt more as we're not sure we have pieces in place that can replace him or be good enough to provide the secondary scoring he gave us.

But I'd love to see Ryan in Montreal

Old
05-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Give them the same calibre linemates and Plekanec at least matches the offense if not surpasses is and gives you a whole lot more in terms of defense and PK work. More productive player.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Give them the same calibre linemates and Plekanec at least matches the offense if not surpasses is and gives you a whole lot more in terms of defense and PK work. More productive player.
Plekanec started the year with Cammalleri and Gionta it's not as bad as you make it out to be. And again I don't think Plekanec is a bad player I really like him but Ryan IMO is a superior player in pretty much all facet of the game except for the defensive part of the game/pk

Old
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Plekanec started the year with Cammalleri and Gionta it's not as bad as you make it out to be. And again I don't think Plekanec is a bad player I really like him but Ryan IMO is a superior player in pretty much all facet of the game except for the defensive part of the game/pk
Before Jan 1st he went 39 GP 8-21-29
After Jan 1st he went 42 GP 9-14-23

Even with Gionta and Cammalleri having crappy years he was on pace for 61 points on January 1st. His assists drop off considerably with Gionta injured, Cammalleri pouting/traded and a revolving door of Bourque/White/Moen/Darche/LeBlanc on thr wings.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Before Jan 1st he went 39 GP 8-21-29
After Jan 1st he went 42 GP 9-14-23

Even with Gionta and Cammalleri having crappy years he was on pace for 61 points on January 1st. His assists drop off considerably with Gionta injured, Cammalleri pouting/traded and a revolving door of Bourque/White/Moen/Darche/LeBlanc on thr wings.
The problem with Plekanec this past year was less about production...and more about the quality of his play.

He just didn't play very well, that has nothing to do with his linemates...

Old
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Mrb1p

And the underrating of our players goes on..
First Prust is better than Moen, Then Kreider is better than Leblanc, then Carey is lesser than 95% of the other goalies, then Plekanec is worse than Bobby Ryan...

Then we wonder why no one wants to come over ?
We got a good core people seems to forget it. Sure we have no Super-star forwards but we sure have quality players that ANY GM would take in a heart beat.
The value of the Plekanec, Patches, Eller are sky-high.
On the defensive side of the puck we have one of the best corp in the NHL.. We have two super-stars on the blue line. We have about 6 or 8 Dman who have great great chances of ending up top 4 dmans in the NHL...
Then we have the Most valuable(trade wise) Goaltender in the NHL since whom ?

Don't go further than management for this season.

Just look at Phoenix

Old
05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
The problem with Plekanec this past year was less about production...and more about the quality of his play.

Whut ?

Plekanec was the second most used forward in the NHL. He wasnt playing bad. What has made this season a bad season is surely not himself. But lack of good teamate PP time, Easy matchup and luck.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Plekanec for Bobby Ryan is interesting because it frees the 2nd center spot for Eller, allows us to maintain almost an identical cap hit to add a premier LW player who is signed for a few years, lets us draft a Galchenyuk and bring him up slowly, and gives us another big body for the 2nd line while shifting Bourque to the 3rd line. Heck, it even opens up the possibility of bringing our 3rd overall pick up to play on the 3rd line with Bourque and another payer to earn sheltered minutes like the Bruins did with Seguin.

I think Plekanec is a more complete player, but Ryan's size and ability to score are quite impressive and useful. It is a scary move, but one I would consider.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Production defines the quality of play.

Not sure where you get that he "just didn't play well".

Old
05-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Whut ?

Plekanec was the second most used forward in the NHL. He wasnt playing bad. What has made this season a bad season is surely not himself. But lack of good teamate PP time, Easy matchup and luck.
Please...Plekanec HIMSELF said he didn't play well this year. He's the first to admit it.

And he saw plenty of time on the PP...so not sure where you get that from.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Production defines the quality of play.

Not sure where you get that he "just didn't play well".
Well if that's the case...he severely underachieved. Because he BY FAR was the forward with the most ice time on the Habs last year and his production declined for the 2nd consecutive year.

He's going to have to play much better next year, linemeates notwithstanding...

Old
05-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well if that's the case...he severely underachieved. Because he BY FAR was the forward with the most ice time on the Habs last year and his production declined for the 2nd consecutive year.

He's going to have to play much better next year, linemeates notwithstanding...
A big chunk of that was on one of the top PK units in the NHL, that time doesn't do much to boost up the stats.

What does it matter if he plays 15 minutes a night 5 on 5 if he has White on one side and Moen or Darche on the other?

Old
05-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
A big chunk of that was on one of the top PK units in the NHL, that time doesn't do much to boost up the stats.

What does it matter if he plays 15 minutes a night 5 on 5 if he has White on one side and Moen or Darche on the other?
That's fair...look, i'm a fan of Plekanec. But he's a much better player than he showed last year, regardless of the quality of his linemates, his play individually is not what I've been accustomed to and again, he was the first to admit it this year.

He needs to be much better if the Habs have any shot at improving next year...not sure how anyone can deny that.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That's fair...look, i'm a fan of Plekanec. But he's a much better player than he showed last year, regardless of the quality of his linemates, his play individually is not what I've been accustomed to and again, he was the first to admit it this year.

He needs to be much better if the Habs have any shot at improving next year...not sure how anyone can deny that.
He has good offensive skill, but he isn't Crosby or Malkin, so he needs help to create things. Even when Cammy and Gionta were they neither was having a particularly good year, then it got worse when one went out for the year and the other got traded.

I think if you get more production from the #3-4 wingers then HIS production will increase. a line is pretty easy to stop when there is only one skill player on it.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Plekanec for Bobby Ryan is interesting because it frees the 2nd center spot for Eller, allows us to maintain almost an identical cap hit to add a premier LW player who is signed for a few years, lets us draft a Galchenyuk and bring him up slowly, and gives us another big body for the 2nd line while shifting Bourque to the 3rd line. Heck, it even opens up the possibility of bringing our 3rd overall pick up to play on the 3rd line with Bourque and another payer to earn sheltered minutes like the Bruins did with Seguin.

I think Plekanec is a more complete player, but Ryan's size and ability to score are quite impressive and useful. It is a scary move, but one I would consider.
I would rather trade for their 1st round pick. If we could a top d-man and a top forward that would be sweet.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Please...Plekanec HIMSELF said he didn't play well this year. He's the first to admit it.

And he saw plenty of time on the PP...so not sure where you get that from.
I see it a little differently. Pleks has a ton of class and will always take responsibility for his production, or lack of.

A lot of guys might suggest ever-changing line mates, some who are 3rd and 4th liners on better clubs. Or the injuries, or change of coaches...

This guy is a first line centre who is playing ridiculous minutes in a shutdown role. Ignored for the Selke only because of politics. Give him more PP time and 1st line wingers, and I'm convinced he will be a PPG player.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I wouldn't touch Radulov with a ten foot pole, not after his stick incident with his KHL coach and the way he let his team down in the playoffs.

Old
05-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Saopolo123

Roy as coach
Radulov - Grigorenko as offensive foward
im fine with this.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout