HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 NBA/College Basketball Thread *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2012, 07:38 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

vCash: 500
Marc J. Spears ‏ @SpearsNBAYahoo

Knicks center Tyson Chandler to be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year tomorrow at team practice facility, source tells

good for him

Old
05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post

Knicks center Tyson Chandler to be named NBA Defensive Player of the Year tomorrow at team practice facility, source tells

good for him
Well deserved. The Knicks PPG against with him out the lineup was like 115.0 LOL

Old
05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

good for him
Well deserved.

Completely changed the culture of this team.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

There's some moron on Twitter saying he did nothing to deserve the award.

It should have been Lebron that got it.

Old
05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Snow Soccer

Quote:

good for him
Props. Didn't like the contract he signed (along with his injury history) but he's been worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I switched in 99 because I was disgusted by the moves the Knicks were making at the time, and I predicted (almost entirely on target, I might add), that they were going to be absolutely awful for years to come. I didn't realize just how awful, but I had the right idea. The Spurs had always been my favorite Western Conference team (big David Robinson fan as a kid), and I figured they were going to be good for a while when I decided to become an all-out Spurs fan. Again, I had no idea just how good they'd be.

It's such a pleasure being a fan of a team where you never doubt the moves being made by the manager, and you have complete faith in the coaching because you have the league's best coach. About the only personnel mistakes they've made in the last decade are signing Richard Jefferson and not holding on tighter to Luis Scola.

I don't know if there is a more fun player to watch in this league than Manu Ginobili. Tony Parker is not far behind. Some people might think Tim Duncan is boring, but I find nothing boring about the fact that he quietly, simply, routinely proves that he's one of the best players to ever play the game in a multitude of ways.

I just love watching the San Antonio Spurs play. They are dynamic, they evolve, they've beaten people with wildly different strategies and systems. They're basketball at its best.
Yeah I always figured you were an ex-Knick fan to be as big a Knicks hater you are. Jumped ship a few years early and probably caught some flak from friends/family during the Finals & ECF run? But when the wheels came off that must have been so satisfying, so self-affirming for you. But now? All the affirmations that made you so right from only a few years ago are no longer coming in. So here you are, grasping on any little thing to hate on, usually following a Knick loss mind you, really to just prove yourself right. Your hate for the Knicks is more about you than the team IMO..

At least that's my take on the things you choose to be

Old
05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Fantastic. Tyson was and is the MVP of this team and i'm glad he got his props.

FANTASTIC signing.

Old
05-02-2012, 12:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Soccer View Post

Yeah I always figured you were an ex-Knick fan to be as big a Knicks hater you are. Jumped ship a few years early and probably caught some flak from friends/family during the Finals & ECF run?
Not at all. Sure, I hated the management moves they were making from a basketball standpoint, but the biggest reason I decided to stop being a Knick fan was because I wasn't interested in rooting for a selfish, violent piece of garbage who exemplified the ugliest side of sports. To make matters worse, they traded away a loyal veteran and fan favorite to get him (the 2nd loyal fan favorite to be dealt away in a very short span). And I never hid the fact that I was a Knicks fan; I've said as much a number of times. The Knicks were my first love. I was as diehard as it gets. For a kid, anyway.

Quote:
But when the wheels came off that must have been so satisfying, so self-affirming for you. But now? All the affirmations that made you so right from only a few years ago are no longer coming in.
How do you figure? I said Anthony would screw over his team and fans (including, yes, yourself) by playing like a complete loser as long as it took to get his coach fired. Check. He miraculously started to play as well as he's ever played from the moment D'Antoni got fired, while playing the worst basketball of his career in the first half of the season. (I don't think it was because Mike Woodson taught him how to play defense, pass the ball, or drive to the lane in one or two days. I just think Anthony refused to do any of those things for Mike D'Antoni, just as he often refused to do them for George Karl and Adrian Dantley.) I said that Anthony and Stoudemire would have issues playing together. Check. I said the Knicks would lose in the first round of the playoffs. Check. They finished worse in the regular season than I predicted they would, actually. I said the Nuggets would be better than the Knicks. Check. The Knicks wouldn't have made the playoffs if they were in the West. I said that any success the Knicks would see would be the result of the pathetically weak Eastern Conference that they play in. Check. They basically had no competition in terms of making the playoffs. The Bucks are a joke, and every team in the East below them is just sad.

Quote:
So here you are, grasping on any little thing to hate on, usually following a Knick loss mind you, really to just prove yourself right. Your hate for the Knicks is more about you than the team IMO..
Yeah, my hate for the Knicks has nothing to do with the team. They turned into an embarrassment. After years of this garbage, they finally had a chance to remake themselves as something to be proud of, and instead they went right back to the same grimy well.

Years and years spent focused around selfishness and stupidity. One player or front office personality after another, each equally hateable. Then, for the first time in years, they had some homegrown young talent coming up that played an intelligent, exciting game. Just a few pieces, but enough to start building something. And then they gave it all away. For what? Another selfish, me-first loser who just isn't good enough, who will never be good enough. Around whom there will always be some issue, some problem, some need gone unfulfilled. Another guy who, yet again, exemplifies everything about sports that I have no interest in celebrating. Everything that's wrong with sports today, that's what these Knicks and their "star" player are. Shame, too, because between Chandler, Lin, Fields, Novak, Shumpert, and Harrellson, there's a decent amount to like about the team. Just not the focal point.

So, here I am, at the only message board on the entire internet where I post regularly, trying to add one more voice to a sparsely visited thread about basketball, a sport I'm passionate about (there's no NHL team in San Antonio, so I have no fellow Spurs fans to talk to around here). I'm just not a fan of the same team you are, and I'm damn proud of that. I'm just saying...why continue to root for a franchise that continuously shows no interest in doing right by its fans? Now, you don't even have to root for a team from some other town. You have another option right here.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 05-02-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old
05-02-2012, 07:09 AM
DM23BK30

I personally disowned the Knicks in 2002. A lot of fans did. They weren't loveable losers. They represented everything that is wrong with pro sports.

When they hired Walsh and Dantoni I came back. I still think they have a solid foundation. I can deal with 43-47 wins a season. Better than the garbage we saw for a decade.

Old
05-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I personally disowned the Knicks in 2002. A lot of fans did. They weren't loveable losers. They represented everything that is wrong with pro sports.

When they hired Walsh and Dantoni I came back. I still think they have a solid foundation. I can deal with 43-47 wins a season. Better than the garbage we saw for a decade.
Yeah tell me about it. Seeing Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury on the court together was a joke.

Old
05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Snow Soccer

Quote:
How do you figure? I said Anthony would screw over his team and fans (including, yes, yourself) by playing like a complete loser as long as it took to get his coach fired. Check. He miraculously started to play as well as he's ever played from the moment D'Antoni got fired, while playing the worst basketball of his career in the first half of the season. (I don't think it was because Mike Woodson taught him how to play defense, pass the ball, or drive to the lane in one or two days. I just think Anthony refused to do any of those things for Mike D'Antoni, just as he often refused to do them for George Karl and Adrian Dantley.) I said that Anthony and Stoudemire would have issues playing together. Check. I said the Knicks would lose in the first round of the playoffs. Check. They finished worse in the regular season than I predicted they would, actually. I said the Nuggets would be better than the Knicks. Check. The Knicks wouldn't have made the playoffs if they were in the West. I said that any success the Knicks would see would be the result of the pathetically weak Eastern Conference that they play in. Check. They basically had no competition in terms of making the playoffs. The Bucks are a joke, and every team in the East below them is just sad.
Well my view on how the whole MDA/Melo thing went down is pretty different from yours. I will just say I do think he tried, it was a bad fit and it's water under the bridge now. Woodson's been better for the team. Frankly I think much of your checklist is confirmation bias of the things that fit your Knick hating agenda.

Melo passed under MDA, he was third in the league in assists for SFs (even averaged 4.6 in January)...I know he's on record saying his effort on D improved under Woodson but Woodson's a defensive minded coach and kept him accountable. Amare's actually on record for saying MDA doesn't teach defense...Don't disagree with Melo/Amare not being a perfect fit though.

Quote:
Years and years spent focused around selfishness and stupidity. One player or front office personality after another, each equally hateable. Then, for the first time in years, they had some homegrown young talent coming up that played an intelligent, exciting game. Just a few pieces, but enough to start building something. And then they gave it all away. For what? Another selfish, me-first loser who just isn't good enough, who will never be good enough. Around whom there will always be some issue, some problem, some need gone unfulfilled. Another guy who, yet again, exemplifies everything about sports that I have no interest in celebrating. Everything that's wrong with sports today, that's what these Knicks and their "star" player are. Shame, too, because between Chandler, Lin, Fields, Novak, Shumpert, and Harrellson, there's a decent amount to like about the team. Just not the focal point.
This isn't hockey - there isn't a right way to build a championship contender. Look at the most recent championships - Boston with their trades, LA with the Gasol trade. The Knicks ceiling with Melo is higher than it is with Wilson Chandler and Gallinari. He's taken the Nuggets to the Western Conference Finals and won a National Championship. He's capable of playing winning basketball. And as it happens, we don't get Lin or Tyson without that trade..

Quote:
So, here I am, at the only message board on the entire internet where I post regularly, trying to add one more voice to a sparsely visited thread about basketball, a sport I'm passionate about (there's no NHL team in San Antonio, so I have no fellow Spurs fans to talk to around here). I'm just not a fan of the same team you are, and I'm damn proud of that. I'm just saying...why continue to root for a franchise that continuously shows no interest in doing right by its fans? Now, you don't even have to root for a team from some other town. You have another option right here.
Hey congrats on being a Spurs fan. They're top to bottom just an outstanding franchise. It's just you seem to be fixated on the Knicks. Every other post you've made in this thread is about the Knicks, how pathetic they are, how pathetic their players are and now suggesting to others to switch fanbases, much like the decision you made way back when. If this was a Knicks board you'd be banned for trolling.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Looks like no Bosh tonight, possibly.

Will be curious to see how Miami goes about it since Melo will probably be starting at the 4.

Old
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post

Will be curious to see how Miami goes about it since Melo will probably be starting at the 4.
He's flying back to NY as we speak. Apparently he's 50-50 as of right now.

05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

#winoneforthefireextinguisher

Please don't let his efforts go in vein!

Old
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post

I would imagine that the Heat would still have James cover Anthony. Makes little sense to do otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Soccer View Post
Well my view on how the whole MDA/Melo thing went down is pretty different from yours. I will just say I do think he tried, it was a bad fit and it's water under the bridge now. Woodson's been better for the team. Frankly I think much of your checklist is confirmation bias of the things that fit your Knick hating agenda.

Melo passed under MDA, he was third in the league in assists for SFs (even averaged 4.6 in January)...I know he's on record saying his effort on D improved under Woodson but Woodson's a defensive minded coach and kept him accountable. Amare's actually on record for saying MDA doesn't teach defense...Don't disagree with Melo/Amare not being a perfect fit though.
It's water under the bridge for you; probably not for D'Antoni, who likely took the Knicks job as a result of a number of promises that were made to him. In the end, he spent 2 years babysitting Thomas' mess, had Stoudemire forced upon him (to some degree), and then basically had half a season with a roster that was just beginning to take the shape that he probably envisioned. Then, all his guys were traded away for Anthony, who couldn't possibly be a worse fit for what D'Antoni was hired to do.

If you're going to bring up things that are on the record, then you can't ignore what is on the record from both George Karl and Adrian Dantley regarding Anthony. Specifically that he more or less refused to do what his coaches asked of him, which is why I think it is only reasonable to assume that the same thing occurred here, primarily when you see how incredibly quick the change in his play was after D'Antoni was fired. He did get assists in the first half of the season, but that doesn't mean he played unselfishly. I watched the games. He passed the ball sometimes. A lot of times when he should have passed the ball, he didn't, and instead took really selfish, stupid shots. And he totally refused to drive to the lane, which is the most important part of his offense. People think D'Antoni only wants people to shoot threes, but the Suns did plenty of driving. Many of their threes were a result of kick outs.

As for Amare's comments about defense...Shawn Marion didn't seem to have any troubles under D'Antoni. I'm not sure how credible a source Amare is regarding defense, since he's spent his entire career rarely committed to playing defense, not to mention being a terrible rebounder for a player with his size and ups (or former ups, anyway). The Suns had their most successful playoff run when Amare wasn't in the lineup. Not sure that's a coincidence.

Quote:
This isn't hockey - there isn't a right way to build a championship contender. Look at the most recent championships - Boston with their trades, LA with the Gasol trade. The Knicks ceiling with Melo is higher than it is with Wilson Chandler and Gallinari. He's taken the Nuggets to the Western Conference Finals and won a National Championship. He's capable of playing winning basketball. And as it happens, we don't get Lin or Tyson without that trade..
This is the ninth time Anthony has been to the post-season. This will be the eight time he will be eliminated in the first round. Higher ceiling? Like I've said before, building a team around Anthony is a virtual guarantee that said team will never win a championship. And I don't see why they couldn't have gotten Tyson Chandler. They probably would have let Wilson Chandler go, or traded him for something, but they would have had plenty of money to sign Tyson Chandler. Hell, if they had never signed Stoudemire and just kept Lee (which I'm guessing D'Antoni would have been all right with), they could have had even more money to round out the team. At 10.5 mill, David Lee is a much better value than Stoudemire at 18. Considering neither of them are any good defensively, and that Lee is a better rebounder, the difference offensively isn't nearly as big as the difference in cap hit.

Quote:
Hey congrats on being a Spurs fan. They're top to bottom just an outstanding franchise. It's just you seem to be fixated on the Knicks. Every other post you've made in this thread is about the Knicks, how pathetic they are, how pathetic their players are and now suggesting to others to switch fanbases, much like the decision you made way back when. If this was a Knicks board you'd be banned for trolling.
So if I was a Knicks fan, and said the same things, I wouldn't be trolling? I still hated the Knicks two years ago, but I wasn't saying negative things about Gallinari and Lee and Wilson Chandler, so it doesn't make sense to paint me as someone who is just trying to troll the fanbase. I've had nothing but nice things to say about Shumpert, Harrelsson, Fields, Novak, Lin, or Tyson Chandler. I want to participate in the thread because I'm a huge basketball fan. These happen to be my honest opinions (backed up by statistics, facts, and even published reports) on the topic most often discussed in this thread: the Knicks. Plus, while the Spurs are still my favorite team, I'm definitely going to be rooting for the Nets going forward. This is going to become a two-team city, and thus, a two-team thread.

Funny, I never stopped being a Rangers fan, but when I was critical of them in the past, I got accused of being a troll, too. negative opinion. I'm starting to get real tired of posters changing, at their whim, the definitions of these empty internet terms to fit their argument.

Old
05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
David Aldridge ‏ @daldridgetnt
Told Chris Bosh will be back in NYC in time for Game 3 tonight. Bosh's wife, Adrienne, gave birth to the couple's child this am in Miami.
Looks like he'll play.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Thank God for the Rangers.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

wut a pile

Old
05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
30theking

dear god they are pathetic lol talk about polar opposites when it comes to the two teams that play in that building

Old
05-03-2012, 08:56 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
dear god they are pathetic lol talk about polar opposites when it comes to the two teams that play in that building
So true....we go from the emotional rollercoaster from last nights thriller watching the players give it their all to tonights snoozefest where no one on the Knicks looked like they care.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
NYRKING30

thank god im not a knicks fan. if i was a diehard fan like i am for the rangers i dont know what i would do to myself. i feel bad for the knicks fans.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Can't wait until that pathetic excuse for a basketball team is swept so they can stop stealing headlines from our NY Rangers!!!

It disgusts me that our 3OT win last night gets buried underneath how Amare Stoudemire's hand is feeling.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
thank god im not a knicks fan. if i was a diehard fan like i am for the rangers i dont know what i would do to myself. i feel bad for the knicks fans.
I hate to say it, but after watching this team for a while you kinda expect to be disappointed. 1999 was the last glimmer of hope.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:29 PM
DM23BK30

They were outhustled everywhere. Miami's defense was suffocating.

I really cant fault Melo for tonight. Miami contested everything, double teamed him and were super physical with him.

They lost tonight because they were made bad decisions. Davis is a disaster at point guard. Landry Fields is a terrible decision maker.

Just win the next game, please. Just one win. I never thought they would win this series. I just didnt think they wouldnt show up.

Old
05-03-2012, 09:31 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

It was pathetic

I hate Amare...Lin and Shumpert are hurt and this team cannot pass or try even to make a attempt to create their own offense

Old
05-03-2012, 10:56 PM
DM23BK30

TBH, I think the only reason why the Knicks are down 0-3 is because of Miami's defense. They really are an excellent defensive team, especially at home.

Look at it this way -- even after the season turned around starting with Lin, the three regular season games against Miami were basically laughers. The Heat in all six games just lock it down in the 4th quarter.

Injuries arent an excuse. Miami is just a better team.

Closed Thread