HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 NBA/College Basketball Thread *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 10:48 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
What makes you think either of them would be interested in coaching a team built around Carmelo Anthony? Jeff Van Gundy has turned down all sorts of jobs over the years. Some how, I don't see him having any interest in coaching a team whose star player is uncoachable. Why would Tom Thibodeau leave a much, much better team with an unselfish, great all-around legit superstar to coach a fat, lazy, one-dimensional me-first underachiever?

This is like that post earlier on the page about a great trade for the Knicks being Amare for Pau. Like there is any chance the Lakers would ever consider that. Why stop there? I think Carmelo for Lebron would be a great trade for the Knicks, too.
The Knicks job is a desired job. Just not with Dolan as an owner.

You cant deny the lure of winning in NY. Winning in Chicago or LA or Boston is nice, but winning in NY is the Holy Grail.

Like I said, any guy that Knicks fans want to coach here (Jackson, JVG, etc) will want autonomy, and Dolan will never offer that. Dolan wants "yes" men.

Only reason why JVG and Thibodeau will always be rumored is because of their long ties to the organization.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:38 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
The Knicks job is a desired job. Just not with Dolan as an owner.

You cant deny the lure of winning in NY. Winning in Chicago or LA or Boston is nice, but winning in NY is the Holy Grail.

Like I said, any guy that Knicks fans want to coach here (Jackson, JVG, etc) will want autonomy, and Dolan will never offer that. Dolan wants "yes" men.

Only reason why JVG and Thibodeau will always be rumored is because of their long ties to the organization.
Okay, I don't disagree with any of that. But Dolan is the owner, which is exactly why neither would ever want to come here in the first place.

You can't have it both ways. You can't blame D'Antoni and say he was given carte blanche and a great roster (allegedly), and then talk about Dolan wanting yes men.

You're right, Dolan wants yes men, and that's exactly why none of this can be placed on D'Antoni's shoulders. Everything that has happened with the Knicks during his tenure has been either tied to Thomas or Dolan. About the only thing that went D'Antoni's way was the drafting of Gallo, and you see where that went.

Here's some Frank Isola tweets from earlier tonight, by the way:

Quote:
I'm not blaming Melo because he's the same guy in NY that he was in Denver. Knicks knew what they were getting.
Quote:
Not easy for a coach to bench two stars. Mike knows the fallout. I respect what he did. MSG will eventually get him so go out on own terms
Quote:
Thibodeau to the Knicks? Never. He'd want to change the culture and they'd never allow it. He's only about winning. That isn't valued at MSG
Quote:
Again, u don't want Tom. He works around the clock, won't play office politcs, stresses defense, consumed by winning. Sorry, bad fit at MSG
Quote:
Did someone really say Jeff Van Gundy? He's Thibodeau X 10 which is why it will never happen. Stop thinking logically and about winning
I agree on all counts.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Snow Soccer

Quote:
Okay, I don't disagree with any of that. But Dolan is the owner, which is exactly why neither would ever want to come here in the first place.

You can't have it both ways. You can't blame D'Antoni and say he was given carte blanche and a great roster (allegedly), and then talk about Dolan wanting yes men.

You're right, Dolan wants yes men, and that's exactly why none of this can be placed on D'Antoni's shoulders. Everything that has happened with the Knicks during his tenure has been either tied to Thomas or Dolan. About the only thing that went D'Antoni's way was the drafting of Gallo, and you see where that went.

Here's some Frank Isola tweets from earlier tonight, by the way:

I agree on all counts.
Don't see how Thibodeau leaves Chicago. Roster tailored to his coaching style perfectly (outside of Boozer) and a guaranteed contender as long as Rose is around.

Quote:
I'm not blaming Melo because he's the same guy in NY that he was in Denver. Knicks knew what they were getting.
Melo's been catching a lot of flak for this reason and IMO much of it isn't warranted. He's not the same guy he's been in Denver. He's having the WORST year of his career by far (he's been hurt most of the season, the condensed post lockout schedule) and I partially blame D'Antoni for not getting the most out of him...And I don't agree that he's uncoachable. He's not the most coachable player you can have but the facts are he's NEVER missed the playoffs once in his career, he's the best player on a team that made it as far as the Western Conference Finals and he's won a National Championship at Syracuse.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

You can rule out Thibodeau. I think the Bulls picked up the option.

Doc Rivers would have been a nice fit.

The Celtics are about to be bad again. Wonder why he re-signed with them...

Old
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I'm being a realist with Dantoni. Like they say, you cant fire the players.

I've been watching Melo like a Hawk for the last few weeks. He's actually trying. He's fighting through screens, he's looking for the open man, he's not taking as many bad shots as he used to.

IMO, the biggest issue with this team is Amare. The guy is a straight bum. If he's hurt or sick, he needs to take himself out. All his baskets are dunks off of great feeds. He never moves without the ball. He never crashes the boards. And he's easily the worst defensive player in the NBA.

He's talked **** all season. He just isnt that good. There was a danger in signing him because of his knees. Now it seems like he doesnt care.

Dantoni's got a very deep team when healthy. He needs to find the right combinations. If that means Amare and Lin off the bench, so be it.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

NCAA March Madness Thread: Who needs the NBA?

Thought we should have one. The games are always entertaining. I'll start off with my bracket. Please share your brackets if you don't mind, always interesting to see people's picks. I got Florida State winning it all

Old
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Muh
Beadle

I don't mean to steal your thunder, mods you can delete this post if thats what you feel I am doing.

But I posted it on the Basketball discussion page, and figured I would extend the invite to my friends here on the Ranger boad.

I set up a private group through Yahoo to see who is the best of the best from our HF community. If you do not have an account, you can easily make one.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...inprivategroup

Group ID: 141806
Password: fistpump

Standard point system. 1 point for correct first round pick, 2 points for correct 2nd round pick, 4, 8, 16, all they way up to 32 points for picking the correct National Champion.

So if you want in on the fun, come join me, so far, hopefully us.

I suggest you use your HF name as your bracket name, so we can easily see who is doing well, and who we can make fun of.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:31 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Who needs either?

I'll be rooting for my school CU Boulder.

Go Buffs, first time ever I have been engaged in a basketball game.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
I don't mean to steal your thunder, mods you can delete this post if thats what you feel I am doing.

But I posted it on the Basketball discussion page, and figured I would extend the invite to my friends here on the Ranger boad.

I set up a private group through Yahoo to see who is the best of the best from our HF community. If you do not have an account, you can easily make one.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yaho...inprivategroup

Group ID: 141806
Password: fistpump

Standard point system. 1 point for correct first round pick, 2 points for correct 2nd round pick, 4, 8, 16, all they way up to 32 points for picking the correct National Champion.

So if you want in on the fun, come join me, so far, hopefully us.

I suggest you use your HF name as your bracket name, so we can easily see who is doing well, and who we can make fun of.
Just joined your league.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:20 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Go LIU Brooklyn. Go Iona. Go St. Bonnies.

St. Johns better be back next season.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Go LIU Brooklyn. Go Iona. Go St. Bonnies.

St. Johns better be back next season.
Saxa Hoya!

Old
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I know absolutely nothing about College Basketball.

Who's the favorite? Kentucky?

Old
03-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Mkhizgilov

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork...=7678250&s=nyc

Old
03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

My best friend plays D2 for Queens College. GO KNIGHTS!

Also, Knicks hanging with the Bulls but getting absolutely MURDERED on the offensive glass. It's like, 4 to 20 offensive boards. Ridiculous.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Mkhizgilov

did you guys see melo react when he didnt get the ball on offense? pathetic ballhog

Old
03-12-2012, 10:37 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Here's a question: Is there any plan or strategy for the 4th quarter?

Dribble....shoot
Dribble....shoot

Old
03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

This team has zero leadership. None.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Anthony with another mystifying fourth quarter.

This team has some of the dumbest players in the league collected onto one squad. Anthony and Smith are among the worst of the worst, but Stoudemire and Davis are not far behind.

The only NBA teams that should have interest in players like Anthony or Smith are cellar dwelling teams who dream of just reaching mediocrity. Mediocrity is what poor decision makers like Anthony and Smith get you. Great teams are made up of good basketball decision makers.

Chandler, Lin, Novak, Shumpert, Harrelson, Fields, Jeffries...they're all solid. They know their role and they play their roles well. It's the "superstars" that bring this team down. That's the difference between the Knicks and the league's great teams; their benches are often their weaknesses. The Knicks weakness is in the starting five and against the salary cap.

In Denver, Anthony had the legitimate excuse that he had supposedly weaker teams, and there is some truth to that. Now, he's on a deep team, but that's a misconception, because he and the rest of the big names are talented, but underachieving, one-on-one players. This is a team sport, not the playground.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:03 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Anthony with another mystifying fourth quarter.

This team has some of the dumbest players in the league collected onto one squad. Anthony and Smith are among the worst of the worst, but Stoudemire and Davis are not far behind.

The only NBA teams that should have interest in players like Anthony or Smith are cellar dwelling teams who dream of just reaching mediocrity. Mediocrity is what poor decision makers like Anthony and Smith get you. Great teams are made up of good basketball decision makers.

Chandler, Lin, Novak, Shumpert, Harrelson, Fields, Jeffries...they're all solid. They know their role and they play their roles well. It's the "superstars" that bring this team down. That's the difference between the Knicks and the league's great teams; their benches are often their weaknesses. The Knicks weakness is in the starting five and against the salary cap.

In Denver, Anthony had the legitimate excuse that he had supposedly weaker teams, and there is some truth to that. Now, he's on a deep team, but that's a misconception, because he and the rest of the big names are talented, but underachieving, one-on-one players. This is a team sport, not the playground.

The decision making in the 4th quarter has plagued this team for a long time. Before Amare. Before Melo. Even Lin makes questionable decisions, and I consider him a cerebral player.

In reality, what is killing this team are the losses to bottom feeders. This losing streak/stretch shouldnt be surprising:

@Miami
@Boston
@SA
@Dallas
@Chicago
@Milwaukee

The only loss that was ugly was the Philly game, but theyre the division leaders who blew out Boston by 30 points.

I think they turn it around.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Philly beats the bad teams. Knicks don't.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:25 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Such a pathetic team.

No heart what so ever besides a few.

Last edited by IBleedNYRBlue: 03-12-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old
03-13-2012, 12:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
The decision making in the 4th quarter has plagued this team for a long time. Before Amare. Before Melo. Even Lin makes questionable decisions, and I consider him a cerebral player.
Before Amare, they were still battling cap and roster issues from the Isiah Thomas era. Or is it Mike D'Antoni's fault that a team with largely horrible players didn't play well?

Plus, Anthony's decision making has always been off, long before D'Antoni, and no matter who the coach.

Quote:
In reality, what is killing this team are the losses to bottom feeders. This losing streak/stretch shouldnt be surprising:

@Miami
@Boston
@SA
@Dallas
@Chicago
@Milwaukee

The only loss that was ugly was the Philly game, but theyre the division leaders who blew out Boston by 30 points.

I think they turn it around.
What's killing this team is they have players that aren't conducive to winning. That's the reason they lose to bad teams. These players only play well when they feel like it. And when they don't feel like it, they are a huge detriment.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Um...what? (I don't follow this account, but a friend of mine retweeted it)

Quote:
BREAKING: Knicks set to deal Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler, Landry Fields & $$$ to Orlando for Dwight Howard, Hedu Turkoglu, & Chris Duhon
https://twitter.com/#!/BroBible/stat...53734752718849

Old
03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Um...what? (I don't follow this account, but a friend of mine retweeted it)

https://twitter.com/#!/BroBible/stat...53734752718849
What?

I doubt that's true. lol

Old
03-13-2012, 09:17 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

GS trades Monta Ellis, Ekpe Udoh, and Kwame Brown to MIL for Andrew Bogut and Stephen Jackson.

Jennings+Ellis backcourt.

Closed Thread