HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 04:17 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
emerged as what? he is a rookie trying to establish an nhl game. how has he emerged beyond that?
He's emerged as a legitimate NHL dman. Which makes Hamrlik expendable. Especially next year -which is the only season anyone should really be worried about.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
call me when its a playoff team again. as i get older my time gets tighter. i am not excited about another rebuild. but if they have collapsed, then its necessary. this time, though, will be different.

the capitals havent been a losing team for a long time. they have been up and down but havent been like the islanders in a long time.

be prepared. we are set up for a long run of losing. particularly if ovechkin doesnt handle the bloodletting well.
2C, right coach...the team could be competing next year. Look at Boston and the Kessel move.

02-22-2012, 04:32 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
2C, right coach...the team could be competing next year. Look at Boston and the Kessel move.
boston didnt clean house. i was referring to the comment of a good cleaning up forward which was a reference to dumping half the d. that goes along with others that want to sell off all the ufas for futures and change the gm and coach.

boston had the same gm and coach and largely the same roster.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
I would love to get Backes but I doubt he would be moved unless we are adding to Hammer
That's putting it lolightly. You are probably not getting the most valuable forward on one of the top few teams in the league for a guy you're all clamoring to dump.

Colaiacovo and a 3d is probably the offer from the Blues. You get a younger, equally fragile defenseman who can play in the top 4 when healthy (he's been Pietrangelo's partner most of the year). Most significantly his contract (2.5M, 2.125M cap) expires this year whereas Hamrlik is due 3.5M next year. Blues get 114 games of playoff experience and Caps get some money to rebuild with and a 3d round pick. We would need to ship some salary back to make it even, plus the need to not carry eight one-way defense contracts.

If we wanted to get further into an interesting discussion we might suggest Stewart + Colaiacovo for Laich + Hamrlik. Stewart has struggled in Hitchcock's system this year after popping in 15 goals in 26 games when he came over last year. Obviously has talent but is underperforming. Laich seems to be underperforming his more expensive contract as well, maybe he'd thrive under Hitch. Maybe if both Tarasenko and Kuznetsov were to ink their deals by the draft Stewart for Laich could be a deal made later. (I don't think this is what would happen if the two teams traded involving Hamrlik, for the record. Just passing the time more or less while waiting for shoes to drop.)

Old
02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I am sold on any deal that gets rid of Laich.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
boston didnt clean house. i was referring to the comment of a good cleaning up forward which was a reference to dumping half the d. that goes along with others that want to sell off all the ufas for futures and change the gm and coach.

boston had the same gm and coach and largely the same roster.
I don't think the loss of Schultz, Hamrlik and Wideman is anything we couldn't overcome with the right moves. You're basically only needing to add 1 d.

Most of the guys we're talking about trading we would be replacing this off-season anyway.

Right coach, right 2c, it's not a rebuild. Heck, end up with enough firsts and you can get Nail or a top guy who may be contributing immediately.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
My deadline predictions:

Out - Hamrlik, futures

In - Ott, Eaton, futures

Sans-Backstrom lineup:

Ovechkin-Mojo/MP-Brouwer
Ott-Mojo/MP-Semin
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Knuble/Beagle

Eaton-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Schultz-Wideman
Erskine

Vokoun
Neuvirth
Not sure I'd want Ott at this point.

He's had a great year, but his value is likely as high as it will ever be. Also a fair chance he could also turn into a Joel Ward "pumpkin" next year..2 more years @ $3.2.

The added grit would be great, but we'd also have to find a way to kill another 100pims along with it. Meh.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Agree strongly with mrwarden's two posts above mine. They need to sell.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Definitely feel like the caps should be sellers. Obvious to anyone with eyes this currently constructed team doesn't have it.

02-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Could be. Question is whether the front office is capable of finding that presence. Horton ended up being a big piece for Boston along with the rest of their additions: Seidenberg, Kelly, Peverley, Kaberle and (earlier along with Horton) Campbell. That's a fair amount of turnover and an emphasis on quality depth and balance that McPhee has never shown a grasp of. Is McPhee even capable of that drastic a retooling largely via trades?

In addition to a pretty young D core, the other issue is goaltending. If Vokoun walks I don't think this team can go into next season (potentially) looking to regain respect with Neuvirth & Holtby between the pipes.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I am sold on any deal that gets rid of Laich.
Don't worry, you won't be getting that deal anytime soon.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The only forwards who I don't want moved by draft day are:

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Brouwer
Johansson
Chimera

That's a lot fewer than I thought it would be.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
i wouldnt mind if this team went into rebuild, i enjoy following prospects
You have got to be sh*ting me....

You want a rebuild?

Old
02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
EroCaps

The Caps should push hard to get 1sts for Wideman and Vokoun in what has been called the deepest draft in years.

4 firsts could be huge. They would almost certainly add 1 if not 2 blue-chip prospects.

Also worth shopping: Knuble, Schultz, Ward and Semin.

Old
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

And you may ask yourself - Well...How did I get here?

Old
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The only forwards who I don't want moved by draft day are:

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Brouwer
Johansson
Chimera

That's a lot fewer than I thought it would be.
Obviously disagree on Semin, but...I see no problem with Halpern as the 4c. He brings it. Chimera isn't core to me in anyway, could care less. Same with Hendricks, he's fine in his role as a 13f but completely expendable.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
The Caps should push hard to get 1sts for Wideman and Vokoun in what has been called the deepest draft in years.

4 firsts could be huge. They would almost certainly add 1 if not 2 blue-chip prospects.

I'm guessing a 1st + for Hamrlik, a 2nd for Vokoun and a resigning of Wideman.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Atlas

McPhee looks bad. I mean, he's not a joke GM like Milbury was but McPhee doesn't have "the right stuff" for earning a Stanley Cup. It's been crystal clear to me since at least the Montreal series. He was helpless in the interviews afterwards. He made excuses and was clearly out of his league.

I am grateful for his hard work and he has acquired good assets. Now it's time to hire a GM who can put a Stanley Cup winner together.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post

Yes. Add good draft picks and bring in another GM to find the players. Are you listening Ted?

Old
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

@Atlas' first post: The thing is...if anything, the events of the past two seasons have vindicated McPhee in his interpretation of the Montreal series. Not that he doesn't need to go. I'm just saying. I think about that a lot lately, what would have happened if they'd just gotten the bounce or two they needed to win that series.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
@Atlas' first post: The thing is...if anything, the events of the past two seasons have vindicated McPhee in his interpretation of the Montreal series. Not that he doesn't need to go. I'm just saying. I think about that a lot lately, what would have happened if they'd just gotten the bounce or two they needed to win that series.

Explain, please.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Explain, please.
Well, he basically contended that the team had gotten unlucky. Semin took however many shots without scoring, Halak went on the run of his life, etc. A lot of people doubted that explanation, including me, and criticized Boudreau for his inability to adjust and the supposed simplicity of his system. I think the second-guessing that the series caused has been the most harmful thing. I think it's Langway who's said it a few times, that the team has just not been the same since, from Boudreau to Ovechkin and on down. The more time passes and the more I think about it, I buy McPhee's basic interpretation and just wonder what the team would have looked like if someone had just been able to score on Halak and win the series.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:21 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Well, he basically contended that the team had gotten unlucky. Semin took however many shots without scoring, Halak went on the run of his life, etc. A lot of people doubted that explanation, including me, and criticized Boudreau for his inability to adjust and the supposed simplicity of his system. I think the second-guessing that the series caused has been the most harmful thing. I think it's Langway who's said it a few times, that the team has just not been the same since, from Boudreau to Ovechkin and on down. The more time passes and the more I think about it, I buy McPhee's basic interpretation and just wonder what the team would have looked like if someone had just been able to score on Halak and win the series.
Someone did score. It was washed out for interfering with Halak's aura.

It wasn't all bad luck, they should have won in 5 or 6, but yeah. They haven't been the same since.

Old
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
SDBondra

I really hope that if we do trade Semin before the deadline it's because GM made him a $5.5million or less offer first. I'm all for getting value for the guy but I would still like to keep him at the right price. I know there's a chance that we could trade him and he would re-sign her during the offseason but I wonder how many times that really happens. Can anyone think of an example?

Old
02-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Langway
Intangibles

An explanation isn't a way forward, though, and it's what they've lacked since then.

Closed Thread