HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
While I do want to retain and build around him, I can't recall a player being ripped by coaches/GM in the media like Alex just was.

I think those comments from McPhee/Kolzig are far more damning than what Bradley/Steckel had to say about Semin and unnamed others.
Ripped?! Hardly… they just trying to light some fire under his ass…

Last edited by Vladiator16: 02-20-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old
02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
While I do want to retain and build around him, I can't recall a player being ripped by coaches/GM in the media like Alex just was.

I think those comments from McPhee/Kolzig are far more damning than what Bradley/Steckel had to say about Semin and unnamed others.
Disagree. They just said he needs to get back to working like he used to, which is pretty obvious to everyone.

He's a player who's playing the worst hockey in his career, and who's confidence is in the *******. All parts of his game are suffering. It happens all the time in sports.

Players have been ripped far worse to media.

Old
02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Quote:
Now I know who are at fault. We just need to trade them or fire them or assassinate.

AFAIR Capitals were very productive at PP those run-n-gun seasons. Both Semin and Ovechkin could have much more points if today's Caps had some successful PP or kind of it. Numbers are lower, results are almost the same (last season it was div title + 2nd round exit, nothing unusual).

Now if this Spring will be different we can talk about it with more data. Until OV no shows in a series it's hard to say he's done.

Maybe we should had a shot for Hitchcock in the end

Old
02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
gocapsnd

I am really starting to think that trading Wideman at the deadline is a great idea.

1. It is clearly a sellers market, one which we could milk and acquire valuable assets (1st, package for a 2c, etc) for a guy that by all accounts does not seem to fit with this team in the long run.

2. GMGM will resign Green, throw in Carlson and Orlov and you've got your three PMDs. Wideman will not be worth the pay raise that he has earned based on his offensive numbers, not to mention his defensive play is average-below average. Simply cannot pay a 3rd pairing Dman 4-5 million a year, time to move him while the markets hot.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:16 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Now if this Spring will be different we can talk about it with more data. Until OV no shows in a series it's hard to say he's done.
This is true.

Caps can tolerate Ovi doing whatever in the regular season as long as he still brings it in playoffs.

Of course, the other side of it is -- if he starts to not perform in the offseason, it will start scaring teams away.

I could sort of buy the lack of confidence explanation, I'm sure that's a big part of it.. but the damning thing is, when his game off, we're not seeing him battle harder, change the approach, work on his game, etc. This is not good.. especially from team captain.

I guess we'll see..

Old
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Old
02-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Sadly our division is so bad and the title is in reach, GMGM won't sell.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

The division does stink but so do they. @OTT, vMTL & @TOR could very well give them a bitter outlook by the time the deadline rolls around. The division still wouldn't be out of reach per se but this team hasn't displayed any sort of ability to string wins together. I don't think slight tweaking changes much.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

did you just say the TITLE is in reach?!
No, the PLAYOFFS are in reach.

Management believes that anyone who makes the playoffs have a good chance at the cup...

Old
02-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

SE title...

Then again, GMGM was thinking Stanley Cup.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:51 PM
pspot

you guys should trade for Brenden Morrow

Old
02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Semin could very well be gone after this year, people are more concerned with him receiving another 1 year deal than a underachieving player on a decade long one.

The reality with OV is his stick handling has worsened, he struggles to get a shot on net, the effort level is down, and with more of an emphasis on defense, he hasn't shown the competence to play in such a system.
Not at all. I'm fairly certain everyone is worried as much if not more about the franchise player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Right. I could deal with lower stats in a more defensive system if these internals weren't even worse. More than anything I'm just not sure he's a person you want to build around. His sloppiness or giving up on plays sets a terrible example.
It does, and he certainly needs a big dose of "grow the F up". What we don't know is what's going on behind the scenes. Could be a poisonous atmosphere, could be Ovy feeling persecuted by the NHL. So many possible issues, but it's on McPhee and Leonsis to figure that out.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
02-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Eh, he's pretty broken down. One player isn't going to change much either way (although #8 of old would help).

Old
02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry too many of our fans apparently dislike hardworking Canadian players.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
This is true.

Caps can tolerate Ovi doing whatever in the regular season as long as he still brings it in playoffs.

Of course, the other side of it is -- if he starts to not perform in the offseason, it will start scaring teams away.

I could sort of buy the lack of confidence explanation, I'm sure that's a big part of it.. but the damning thing is, when his game off, we're not seeing him battle harder, change the approach, work on his game, etc. This is not good.. especially from team captain.

I guess we'll see..
It's that line of thinking that started this freefall IMO. When he stopped bringing it every night.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Raikkonen
We like our tank

Quote:
We should get a center. Morrow isn't one.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. McPhee getting fired? Or McPhee's post-firing interviews?

Old
02-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Halpysback

O CANADA

OUR HOME AND NATIVE LANDd

Old
02-20-2012, 10:15 PM
hb11xchamps

Sell sell sell

Old
02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. McPhee getting fired? Or McPhee's post-firing interviews?
Good point, but after 14 years you will have to read his memoirs.

Old
02-21-2012, 12:35 AM
sunnydaycrash

Guess we`ll have a better idea by Sunday...Caps face the Sens, Habs and Leafs, while the Panthers have the Wild and Canes.....if the Caps lose 2 of 3 or all 3 and the Panthers win their 2, they'll have a 4-6 pt lead with 2 games in hand......I think Mcphee may unload Wides, Knoobs and Sarge

Old
02-21-2012, 09:02 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Guess we`ll have a better idea by Sunday...Caps face the Sens, Habs and Leafs, while the Panthers have the Wild and Canes.....if the Caps lose 2 of 3 or all 3 and the Panthers win their 2, they'll have a 4-6 pt lead with 2 games in hand......I think Mcphee may unload Wides, Knoobs and Sarge
That way be the very best thing that could happen for the franchise (long term speaking) as they'd have a plausible public excuse for dumping a bunch of UFAs/key players.

But at the same time I think even if we lose all of ours and FLA wins all theirs that GMGM will either buy or stay pat.

I've said it before but the Caps could certainly cash in as guys like Wideman, Vokoun, Semin, Knuble and even Schultz would have some strong interest around the league. Put Halpern on the list too as some playoff team would like him I'm sure.

It wouldn't shock me if we got 3 or 4 1st/2nd round picks, a couple mid/later round picks and a few decent prospects if we jettisoned these guys and started another rebuild.

Anyway you look at it the team is a major mess right now and we need to either clean house now or wait til the summer.

After the whooping in last nights game I really lost what little hope I had of doing any damage in the playoffs (if they even make it). Everytime you think this team (and some of its players) have "turned the corner" it comes crashing back down.

Old
02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Not having Nick is just crushing this team. Followed of course by no viable scoring C depth, Ovi and Semin can only do so much. Green just got back and is probably seeing some expected rust but he will help.

If we can eek into the playoffs, we do have a defensive backbone in place that can win 2-1 games, yep just like Montreal did to us. Its not a stretch to think we can win 4 games out of 7, heck Dale must be close to 500 facing different teams every night trying to repair the titanic. He appears to be a tactician, for better or for worse. The biggest complaint I had against BB in the playoffs, he seemed a bit stubborn, not much of a tactician. Turned to his backup goalie, but then never went back to his number 1. Two years in a row. His line matching was wait for it, big guns vs big guns. Opposition coaches knew it. I wanted a little more focus on the defensive aspects of the game, or for him to throw a changeup.

If we get 3rd, and especially if we get Nick back, we can win a series. I heard Nick has been riding a bike, I take that as good news.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-21-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old
02-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Just like when Green comes back, right?

Old
02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Not having Nick is just crushing this team. Followed of course by no viable 2C depth, Ovi and Semin can only do so much. Green just got back and is probably seeing some expected rust but he will help.

If we can eek into the playoffs, we do have a defensive backbone in place that can win 2-1 games, yep just like Montreal did to us. Its not a stretch to think we can win 4 games out of 7, heck Dale must be close to 500 facing different teams every night trying to repair the titanic. He appears to be a tactician, for better or for worse. The biggest complaint I had against BB in the playoffs, he seemed a bit stubborn, not much of a tactician. Turned to his backup goalie, but then never went back to his number 1. Two years in a row. His line matching was wait for it, big guns vs big guns. Opposition coaches knew it. I wanted a little more focus on the defensive aspects of the game, or for him to throw a changeup.

If we get 3rd, and especially if we get Nick back, we can win a series. I heard Nick has been riding a bike, I take that as good news.
You know..I never complained about BB really (small gripes about personnel like Flash and Schultz).

I didn't have one problem with him in the Montreal series. Not to revisit it but the fact was we dominated those games for the most part after the 1st 2. In hindsight I wish he stayed stubborn and not listened to the "voices" who told him to change.

To me sometimes the best tactics are "just letting them play." too much overanalyzing, line matching to the point of choking your team, etc

I think if McPhee got BB the stabilizing dman he needed the year we played the Pens we would have won that series and made it to the finals.

Also against Montreal we were missing that player (no..Joe Corvo acquistion does not qualify)

McPhee also never got him a 2nd line center. Or the vet depth they needed.

Again GMGM is great at winning individual battles when it comes to draft picks and trades. He can sequestor "ingredients" that maybe hard to comeby...but he does so randomly without knowing what master recipe he wants to make. Then he hastily tries to cram all these ingredients together to form an award winning dish. The results have shown.

Closed Thread