HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2012, 09:55 AM
pspot

vCash: 500
As for Morrow, he's older and not the player he was but his leadership I think would be huge for Ovy and the locker room....The talent is there.

I know you have guys like Laich, Knuble, Chimera so maybe I'm wrong about the impact Morrow would have but just seems like that driving force and focus is missing.

I think giving Ovy the captaincy was a big mistake , the guy should be an Assistant but there is just to much else that comes with being the captain that conflicts with his personality and style of play.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Capitlols

No more f*ing wingers yeesh, don't people see the lack of depth up the middle...

Old
02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
BobRouse

You know...

another benefit of doing a UFA firesale next week would be that chances are we'd fall much greater in the standings and I could see us with an outside chance at a top 5 pick.

We'd really restock the entire team in one fell swoop!

Just sayin'

Old
02-21-2012, 01:37 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
You know...

another benefit of doing a UFA firesale next week would be that chances are we'd fall much greater in the standings and I could see us with an outside chance at a top 5 pick.

We'd really restock the entire team in one fell swoop!

Just sayin'
well, except the team would be restocked with players that would be 2 to 4 years from being nhl players and years beyond that from being seasoned playoff ready players. all the while $17m per is going out for Ovechkin and Backstrom while the team waits on rebuilding youth.

Old
02-21-2012, 01:53 PM
BTCG

Six Days- Changes, or Not in Store?

Okay,

I just came on say a couple of quick things.

I really lost it last night.

Not that what I said wasn't true, it was.

But I want to say this.

For openers, I want to apologize.

First, to the moderators. You guys don't hear it enough, but I, for one, want to thank you. You donate tons of your time for what is essentially a thankless job, and you guys do a damn good job here. Without you, we wouldn't have a message board. If I ever had the pleasure of meeting any of you, I'd love to buy you a beer or two. (I'm in 413 row C seat 5). If any of you wanted a copy of the manual (it's a MS Word docx file) I made after I attended Myron Mixon's "Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School," PM me, and I'll make a download available. Least I could do, and I'd be happy to do it. I also am compiling a manual from the Johnny Trigg BBQ Cooking School I attended. Between Myron and Johnny, they have 5 World Championships, and taught me exactly how they make their sauces and other essentials.You could have that too, if you so desired. Again, least I can do considering all of your hard work for us. You could also send me an e-mail to my Hotmail account. Whatever is easier.

As for others here I cited, I also extend an apology to you, as well. I'm sure you're every bit as disgusted and frustrated as I am, and I shouldn't take it out on you guys.

I guess we've got twenty-some odd games left, and even though it may be wishful thinking, I guess we're better off making the playoffs than not making them. I don't know what you guys think, or whether you even care, at this point.

But I still would like McPhee to add a center or 2, at very least.

The next 6 days should be interesting. I hope things get better for us.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

But wait...
You still think its true?

Old
02-21-2012, 02:14 PM
BobRouse

Feel that BTCG.

I think we all have been there by inadvertently taking our frustrations out on fellow fans who want nothing more than what we do in the end.

Being a Caps fan is difficult and probably bad for ones long term sanity.

In the coming months its important to remember that we're all in the same boat here even tho we may disagree the best way to get to our destination ..well our destination is the same place.

Oh..that and FIRE MCPHEE! Anyone who disagrees with me is a TOOL! haha

Old
02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I'm not going to name the mod that merged this, but I will say I sure hope he messaged BTCG afterward and let him know that Ted told us his thread was going to get too much attention on its own and needed to be swept under the rug.

02-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Ixnay on the Edtay.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:39 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

They don't HAVE to wait years for these guys to mature to rebuild. That's what they did in 2005-2007 and we wasted time.

Dump some fat. Sign some ufa (make a key one like suter), and some key trades.

Ovi
Backs
Mojo
Holtby or nuevy
Brouwer
Laich
Chimera
Alzner
Green
Carlson
Orlov
Erskine

Need: G, D, D, 2C, 2RW, 3RW, 4c, 4 lw are the holes. Pick two of those for long term buys. Fill holes with 1 yr deals.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
They don't HAVE to wait years for these guys to mature to rebuild. That's what they did in 2005-2007 and we wasted time.

Dump some fat. Sign some ufa (make a key one like suter), and some key trades.

Ovi
Backs
Mojo
Holtby or nuevy
Brouwer
Laich
Chimera
Alzner
Green
Carlson
Orlov
Erskine

Need: A team is the hole. Pick two of those for long term buys. Fill holes with 1 yr deals.
Fixed

Old
02-21-2012, 02:53 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I honestly can't figure out how anyone doesn't see Laich as part of "the fat". Worst contract on the team.

Old
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I don't expect GMGM to see him as that. And while I won't say worst. I don;t like it.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I see it getting worse and worse as special teams start to be minimized around the league. When a guy makes so much of his impact on the PP and PK, and when PP's start declining leaguewide, it's just going to happen.

Now, new CBA? Reset button? Who knows what directions things go moving forward. Doesn't look great at the moment though.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Not having Nick is just crushing this team. Followed of course by no viable scoring C depth, Ovi and Semin can only do so much. Green just got back and is probably seeing some expected rust but he will help.
No, not having a suitable filler already on the roster is (at least partially) crushing this team. Blame the guy who assembles the roster every year.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I don't expect GMGM to see him as that. And while I won't say worst. I don;t like it.
GMGM better not be making that call.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:05 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

It could be like the en masse Hershey team from the last time the CBA canceled league play.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well, except the team would be restocked with players that would be 2 to 4 years from being nhl players and years beyond that from being seasoned playoff ready players. all the while $17m per is going out for Ovechkin and Backstrom while the team waits on rebuilding youth.
This is similar to the argument I was making a few years back RE: Carlson/Alzner and the D. By the time these guys matured then we would have seen the best of Ovechkins best days past.

I like the idea of pulling a Holmgren and "retooling" rapidly. But I don't see GMGM or any new incoming GM doing that and pulling it off well if they do.

At this point our best bet is to rebuild through the draft. I have little faith that GMGM can address our needs via FA. A new GM would need time to evaluate for sure and reshape the team in his image.

No quick fixes that i see.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:07 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Downie to the Avs...that's uh, interesting.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
GMGM better not be making that call.
I'll believe that when I see it.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quincey going to TB.

I like that trade from a Caps' perspective this season. I like KQ more than Downie. Subtraction to Col and Addition to TB.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:14 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Downie to the Avs...that's uh, interesting.
For Quincey.

1. I really like Quincey. Nice pickup for TB.

2. Downie has 1 fewer point than Laich; and two more even strength points than him. Barf.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:17 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Now maybe Quincey to DET for a 1st? TB in full on sell mode, would have thought Quincey was a piece they might want to keep but maybe he's too expensive?

Old
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

If quincey is getting a first, ****ing move Wideman before everyone gets the guy they want.

Old
02-21-2012, 03:19 PM
IafrateOvie34

Good trade for both teams.

As for trades and Caps, Caps should sell every UFA for maximum they can get and retool. Trading Ward would help a lot too. Just roll with what we have after that and hope for the playoffs. If we make it in, hope for a 7 game series or a playoff round win for experience for guys like Orlov. Anyone thinking Caps can win a Cup this year , but I guess they have their opinion. This team can get it done right with the right trades and changes in the off season. One thing for sure, don't have to worry about NBC sports channel, TSN, NHL network next season. Next year we can fly under the radar.

NOTE: GMGM cannot be here when the season ends!

Closed Thread