Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Kyle Brodziak re-signs for 3 years

Old
02-19-2012, 08:07 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 50
We need a quality defenseman this summer. That's who we should throw the money at. A guy who can not only protect but also help out offensively on the blueline would actually make our current forwards better.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 480
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
In almost 3 years, Kyle Brodziak's only 2 games missed as a #mnwild was because of the flu
http://twitter.com/#!/Russostrib/sta...15682527936512

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
We need a quality defenseman this summer. That's who we should throw the money at. A guy who can not only protect but also help out offensively on the blueline would actually make our current forwards better.
Carle is really the only one that fits that description, so it would depend on what we were comfortable giving. Would probably cost $4.5 - $5 for 4ish years... would we be cool with that? Him and Brodin would infuse some nice stability on the blueline...

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Carle is really the only one that fits that description, so it would depend on what we were comfortable giving. Would probably cost $4.5 - $5 for 4ish years... would we be cool with that? Him and Brodin would infuse some nice stability on the blueline...
I'd rather have quality across the blueline instead of one top D.

Maybe Campoli for a year or two. Find another PMD/OFD. Scandella should be ready for next year, unsure of Brodin, maybe leave him in Sweden for one more year. Unsure of Prosser though, he can be defensive, but how are his offensive skills?

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post

Maybe Campoli for a year or two. Find another PMD/OFD. Scandella should be ready for next year, unsure of Brodin, maybe leave him in Sweden for one more year.
Doesn't Montreal hate Campoli? Not sure he'd be much more of an upgrade over Lundin.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Doesn't Montreal hate Campoli? Not sure he'd be much more of an upgrade over Lundin.
Montreal hates anything that isn't five star quality. I've watched Campoli for years, he's good for 20-25 points a year, decently defensive and won't cost that much.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post

Maybe Campoli for a year or two. Find another PMD/OFD. Scandella should be ready for next year, unsure of Brodin, maybe leave him in Sweden for one more year. Unsure of Prosser though, he can be defensive, but how are his offensive skills?
True. It can be risky putting all our eggs in one basket. Although I wouldn't mind Weber. I just want both Z's and Schultz gone. I really think our current forwards could actually raise their numbers with some decent help from the blueline. As of now, we're almost relying on the forwards to play both positions on the ice. It'd be a dream to find some defensemen who could not only protect the net, but also SAFELY get the puck up the ice, create some plays, and put a decent number of pucks in the twine.

Old
02-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
2.83 is not a bad price tag, I'd prefer to see $2.5, but there isn't anything wrong with this contract at this point in time. I don't think having too many centers will be a problem since I believe Cullen can just slide over to a wing, and he's a versatile guy. I hope his effort rubs off on some of the young guys, I'd like to see Larsson mold his game after Brodzy with a little bit more of a scoring touch.
Well, he'll have a chance first hand this way. As Koivu is the man in the top 6, so is Brodz in the bottom 6. Less than 3 million per is a total win. Crap, compared to Cullen's 3.5???

Of all the potential UFAs, this guy is a great glue guy to help solidify the team over the course of our transition.

Great signing for the GM and the player: no way a 2nd would fill his void.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
True. It can be risky putting all our eggs in one basket. Although I wouldn't mind Weber. I just want both Z's and Schultz gone. I really think our current forwards could actually raise their numbers with some decent help from the blueline. As of now, we're almost relying on the forwards to play both positions on the ice. It'd be a dream to find some defensemen who could not only protect the net, but also SAFELY get the puck up the ice, create some plays, and put a decent number of pucks in the twine.
Agree completely with this, I think our forwards could have a lot more production but our D is holding them back a fair bit. A premier d man would help but I also think we need to raise the all around puck-skill level of our D corps, hopefully Spurgeon and Scandella continue to develop their skills and Brodin as well.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Everything that I've read says Weber is still a RFA? Am I misinformed or misreading something?
I'm pretty confident Brodin will be on the team next year. He'll have some growing pains as we had with Scandella but I think he'll perform at a reasonable level.
This was a good signing. Is he slightly overpaid? Possibly. As mentioned before he's a great glue guy. I don't mind paying someone that puts the team above himself an extra 500k or so. It sets a good example to everyone on the team, especially the new comers.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:19 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
He will talk to Parise. Not saying he will sign him or even be on the shortlist, but like 2/3 of the teams are at least going to put a call in, and among those he's probably in the top third or so in position to make a lucrative offer.

But I'll agree that if Parise signs with someone else, Fletch probably won't be pursuing anyone at forward.
With Parise(Suter as well), I'll believe it when I see it. I can see Ruutu or Penner being pursued by Fletcher if he can move one of our forwards for a d-man, but if not its hard to justify giving out 3-5 years on another contract when it appears Granlund/Larsson/Coyle/Bulmer are going to legitimately challenge for spots next year.

Quote:
And given the poor UFA market its going to be hard. In a dream world we get Suter and someone else, my "hope"(assuming we can't make a trade) would be Oduya and Grossman, but in reality its probably going to be Colaiacovo and Stoner or something.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:21 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Everything that I've read says Weber is still a RFA? Am I misinformed or misreading something?
I'm pretty confident Brodin will be on the team next year. He'll have some growing pains as we had with Scandella but I think he'll perform at a reasonable level.
This was a good signing. Is he slightly overpaid? Possibly. As mentioned before he's a great glue guy. I don't mind paying someone that puts the team above himself an extra 500k or so. It sets a good example to everyone on the team, especially the new comers.
I think Weber is UFA...Suter is RFA. Either of them would be fine.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
I think Weber is UFA...Suter is RFA. Either of them would be fine.
Other way around. Weber is the RFA.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

So. . . . can we trade Cullen yet? If Zids isn't gone by the beginning of next year I ditch the Wild and go Sharks. Schultz had better be gone as well but I doubt he'll be moved.

Old
02-19-2012, 09:54 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
So. . . . can we trade Cullen yet? If Zids isn't gone by the beginning of next year I ditch the Wild and go Sharks. Schultz had better be gone as well but I doubt he'll be moved.
He will be gone. You can just tell by Yeo's comments that the divide was created. There isn't trust between Zid and the coach/GM/players. Too much damage was done. It was bad enough that the guy ran to Russo the first time, but to speak out again implying that he was close to going to New Jersey when the truth was that Fletcher wasn't even in contact with him (didn't ask him to waive his NTC)....that was garbage. He may be here pass the deadline, but he's as good as gone this summer. I can bet you that Fletcher and Yeo will not want that drama on the backburner when starting over next season. He'd be nothing but a ticking time bomb waiting to explode at the first new disagreement with Yeo.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Brodziak's comments after he signed his new deal, and Zids' actions these past couple weeks are so night and day it's unbelievable. He does have to keep his play up, which I don't doubt he will. If he can maintain 30-40 point seasons and still bring everything else that he brings, he'll continue to be a favorite here.

My favorite numbers: 80, 79, 82, 80, as in games played the last 4 years (not including 59 out of 59 this year). Reliability is a huge positive with him.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
nickschultzfan

Was hoping for around 2.5 million/year. 2.83 isn't bad. Brodziak is a great guy to have in the top-9. He's the kind of guy that makes a roster work, because he can play anywhere and he makes his linemates better.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Brodziak's comments after he signed his new deal, and Zids' actions these past couple weeks are so night and day it's unbelievable. He does have to keep his play up, which I don't doubt he will. If he can maintain 30-40 point seasons and still bring everything else that he brings, he'll continue to be a favorite here.

My favorite numbers: 80, 79, 82, 80, as in games played the last 4 years (not including 59 out of 59 this year). Reliability is a huge positive with him.
just so refreshing to hear his comments after the last couple of weeks with zids. Obviously he believes in Mike Yeo and GMCF ability otherwise he probably would have look else where for his next contract.

As though as this year has been the wild do have some interesting peices and vets sprinkled through out our roster. Should have a decent frame work and mix of vets layed down so when some of these kids come in they will have an better chance of success.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Was hoping for around 2.5 million/year. 2.83 isn't bad. Brodziak is a great guy to have in the top-9. He's the kind of guy that makes a roster work, because he can play anywhere and he makes his linemates better.
well, that difference is less than what we are paying for mark parrish's and cam barkers buy out. Still can't believe we are paying mark parrish...

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:54 PM
651*

About the only guy who has been ready to go from the start this year and was there all year. I say it's a good sign. He can be a solid third line centerman.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
LemaireisGOD

For those of you hoping for a deadline deal of Zids...

I think its very possible we hold onto the disgruntled Czech for the rest of the season. One, once the season is over his no trade clause doesn't apply to all teams. Only a select few (the same sort of thing that happened when the Sharks dealt Heatley). Unless someone is going to give us a ton for him, I expect the Wild to wait and then trade him with ease for a pittance. The other bright side of dealing Zidlicky is that we will have the cheapest defense in the NHL. We will have plenty of money to not only sign our prospects we wish to promote to the pros but also for free agents. Just a thought.

As for Brodziak's deal I'm pretty pleased with it. Probably a little high, but not horrible. I was fearing we were going to massively over pay him. $2.83 million / per is high but ok I guess.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

I absolutely love this signing. If it were over 3 mill per I would be less excited but he is a third liner that can jump up and be productive with top 6 players so I can understand the price.

He just works so hard and can forecheck better than anyone on the team. He is exactly type of player Yeo needs for his system to be effective.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:16 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
I think its very possible we hold onto the disgruntled Czech for the rest of the season. One, once the season is over his no trade clause doesn't apply to all teams. Only a select few (the same sort of thing that happened when the Sharks dealt Heatley). Unless someone is going to give us a ton for him, I expect the Wild to wait and then trade him with ease for a pittance. The other bright side of dealing Zidlicky is that we will have the cheapest defense in the NHL. We will have plenty of money to not only sign our prospects we wish to promote to the pros but also for free agents. Just a thought.

As for Brodziak's deal I'm pretty pleased with it. Probably a little high, but not horrible. I was fearing we were going to massively over pay him. $2.83 million / per is high but ok I guess.
Trading him this summer would be ideal then. We still clear his money off the books and send him to a place he may not like. Then watch him cry. But rest assured kids, he will be gone by the start of next season. It's just a matter of how long we want the guy to suffer.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Trading him this summer would be ideal then. We still clear his money off the books and send him to a place he may not like. Then watch him cry. But rest assured kids, he will be gone by the start of next season. It's just a matter of how long we want the guy to suffer.
Detroit?

Old
02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Dr Jan Itor

So, with Brodz's re-signing, we now have Koivu - Cullen - Brodziak down the middle next year. RW's are Setoguchi (on line 1 or 2) and Clutterbuck on line 3). But for LW's, Heatley is obviously in the top 6, but assuming Granlund comes over and either Bouchard or Latendresse (or both) start the season healthy, who gets bumped over to RW? Have any of them played extensively on the right side? Granlund could also bump Cullen to W, I suppose. I'm guessing, ideally, we're looking at something like this for next year...

Heatley - Koivu - Bouchard
Latendresse - Granlund - Setoguchi
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Kassian - Powe - Johnson

With Larsson, Phillips, Coyle, Bulmer and possibly Zucker in Houston if somebody gets injured.

Not too bad.