Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu (Returning To Lineup 3/22)

Old
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
well the wild can tell him he's not allowed, right? I'm sure it's in their contract somewhere...prohibiting behavior that endangers his ability to perform for the wild or somesuch. Not sure what the penalties would be.

edit: I'm not saying I'm for or against him playing the tourney, but I can see the Wild being very much against it if they have any doubt about his recovery.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Wild take a stand against koivu?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wild take a stand against koivu?
If it comes to that, I will be very disapointed. When you sign a $47M contract and wear the C, what you want becomes secondary to what the team wants.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
If it comes to that, I will be very disapointed. When you sign a $47M contract and wear the C, what you want becomes secondary to what the team wants.
The guy rushed back and was playing hurt to help the team....not himself. That should say something.

The way I see, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I've seen questions raised about him being "soft," because he was out with an undisclosed injury. He wasn't being a "team" player. Why is he sitting out so long? Then when Fletcher said that he was trying to play through the pain to help the team out (and that it was the trainer/GM's decision to pull him), he still gets labeled as only thinking of himself. So what is he suppose to do?

He'll get ripped apart for playing in the WC, yet at the same time, if he chose not to play in it, those very same people would say he's soft and not a good leader/teammate for doing so.

I think it was Jarick who said he should just get the surgery and go home to Finland. Yet wasn't it you who was unhappy because he didn't go on the last roadtrip....saying that it showed bad leadership? So what would it say if he went back to Finland?

You guys have to make up your mind here?

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

If only Koivu wanted to play for the Stanley Cup as much as he wants to play for the WC...

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
The guy rushed back and was playing hurt to help the team....not himself. That should say something.

The way I see, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I've seen questions raised about him being "soft," because he was out with an undisclosed injury. He wasn't being a "team" player. Why is he sitting out so long? Then when Fletcher said that he was trying to play through the pain to help the team out (and that it was the trainer/GM's decision to pull him), he still gets labeled as only thinking of himself. So what is he suppose to do?

He'll get ripped apart for playing in the WC, yet at the same time, if he chose not to play in it, those very same people would say he's soft and not a good leader/teammate for doing so.

I think it was Jarick who said he should just get the surgery and go home to Finland. Yet wasn't it you who was unhappy because he didn't go on the last roadtrip....saying that it showed bad leadership? So what would it say if he went back to Finland?

You guys have to make up your mind here?
Fair points, and to be clear, my argument is based on the assumption that Koivu doesnt play another game this year. If the Wild decide that holding him out for the rest of the season is the smart choice, then i cant see how playing the WC's would be wise.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Fair points, and to be clear, my argument is based on the assumption that Koivu doesnt play another game this year. If the Wild decide that holding him out for the rest of the season is the smart choice, then i cant see how playing the WC's would be wise.
And to be honest, I'd like to see him out for the rest of the season. There's no benefit of him coming back.

He has military obligations to finish up this summer too, doesn't he?

Old
02-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 984
Quote:
And to be honest, I'd like to see him out for the rest of the season. There's no benefit of him coming back.

He has military obligations to finish up this summer too, doesn't he?
I thought he took care of those last summer?

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:51 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I thought he took care of those last summer?
I think only part of it. Split it up. At least that's what I could have sworn was in one of the articles. Could be wrong.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 984
Hm. I see. Is this his last year to do that before he gets in trouble, or how the hell does that work up there?

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Hm. I see. Is this his last year to do that before he gets in trouble, or how the hell does that work up there?
You can delay it until you're 28, so yes. That being said, he is in Lahti which is specialized in training professional athletics so he can get special arrangements made to his service. That's why he was able to split it up, for example.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
99% sure we will find out he reinjured his shoulder. But that is just my gut feeling.

I am the smartest man in the world!!

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I am the smartest man in the world!!
In that case, thanks for warning us ahead of time about last night's game. Had we known it was going to be that ugly, we could have stuck our heads in the microwaves much earlier.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
In that case, thanks for warning us ahead of time about last night's game. Had we known it was going to be that ugly, we could have stuck our heads in the microwaves much earlier.

Well if you go back to the GDT, you will I predicted a 4-1 Kings victory... So I was close.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:40 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
well the wild can tell him he's not allowed, right? I'm sure it's in their contract somewhere...prohibiting behavior that endangers his ability to perform for the wild or somesuch. Not sure what the penalties would be.

edit: I'm not saying I'm for or against him playing the tourney, but I can see the Wild being very much against it if they have any doubt about his recovery.
No. The NHLPA would never even consider beginning to let teams have that sort of control, as well they shouldn't. The team can say anything they want to Koivu, but there's not a single thing they can (legally) do to stop him if he decides to play in the tournament.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
mikko1995

Quote:
I think only part of it. Split it up. At least that's what I could have sworn was in one of the articles. Could be wrong.
No, Koivu won't have military obligations this summer. He got his corporal rank during the fall. Also, just a FYI he was actually named the Military Athlete of the Year in January.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

And the "we pay you, you do what we tell you to do" argument is invalid, I wouldn't listen to my boss if he told me to not do something I love doing on my free time. Not the best metaphor, but you know players still can do what they want. Its just up to Koivu if he feels he is ready when the championships are around, none of you can tell how bad his shoulder is and wheter or not he should stay out for rest of the season or not.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
rafterman

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
And the "we pay you, you do what we tell you to do" argument is invalid, I wouldn't listen to my boss if he told me to not do something I love doing on my free time. Not the best metaphor, but you know players still can do what they want. Its just up to Koivu if he feels he is ready when the championships are around, none of you can tell how bad his shoulder is and wheter or not he should stay out for rest of the season or not.
So do you think your boss should have any recourse if your outside activity causes you to not be able to perform your job correctly/to the standard you were hired to meet ?

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
So do you think your boss should have any recourse if your outside activity causes you to not be able to perform your job correctly/to the standard you were hired to meet ?
Under current US law, unless the activity you were engaged in is illegal, your boss is strictly forbidden from doing so.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
The only thing the Wild could possibly do is suspend him (i.e the Jimmy Sheppard ATV scandal) but I highly doubt it would ever come to that.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
nickschultzfan

Shut him down. Season over. Let tank begin.

Force him to get Granlund to sign ASAP.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Shut him down. Season over. Let tank begin.

Force him to get Granlund to sign ASAP.
Due to SM-Liiga, NHL, and European transfer agreement rules, Granlund cannot sign a contract with the Wild until after the WC.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
rafterman

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Under current US law, unless the activity you were engaged in is illegal, your boss is strictly forbidden from doing so.
Seriously ?

So if I have an assembly job and somehow cut all my fingers off playing with knives at home they get to pay me to sit and watch the parts fly by on the line ? I suppose they then have to create some other postition that they don't need to keep me employed and on the payroll.

Last edited by Jarick: 03-01-2012 at 02:37 PM.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Pilney21
Who?

Quote:
Seriously ?

So if I have an assembly job and somehow cut all my fingers off playing with knives at home they get to pay me to sit and watch the parts fly by on the line ? I suppose they then have to create some other postition that they don't need to keep me employed and on the payroll.

No wonder the US isn't competitive (among other reasons).
That's what insurance is for.

Pilney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Seriously ?

So if I have an assembly job and somehow cut all my fingers off playing with knives at home they get to pay me to sit and watch the parts fly by on the line ? I suppose they then have to create some other postition that they don't need to keep me employed and on the payroll..
If you are no longer (in the long term) able to perform your job duties, you may be terminated. However, if you go out drinking and whoring, and get in a car accident on the way home, they can't fire you because you're laid up in the hospital with a broken femur and gonorrhea.

Last edited by Jarick: 03-01-2012 at 02:37 PM.